1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article Norman Reedus Rep Denies He's Pressuring The Walking Dead To Expand Daryl & Negan's Roles

Discussion in 'Daryl / Norman Reedus' started by SweetDee85, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Mullet of Lies

Mullet of Lies Drowning in an Ocean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Well. Considering Andrea is dead on the show, I wouldn't exactly say that Michonne is stealing Andrea's role. Robert Kirkman has said multiple times that the GN's storylines aren't going to translate exactly to the the show. Key GN characters have been introduced at different points in the show than in the source material (Tyreese, for example) so it's only appropriate that story lines move around.

An example of Daryl "taking so much away" from another character is in "Them" when they writers felt the need to ruin the massive "we are the walking dead" moment with Daryl interjecting with "we ain't them" or whatever bullshit he said. What did that offer to the story? That was a major speech given by the lead character and the focus had to be shifted to Daryl.

2. Appetence

Appetence Eternally failing at productivity bc TITTD
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Why'd you have to remind me of this :tdog:

3. Mullet of Lies

Mullet of Lies Drowning in an Ocean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    When ya got a point to prove, ya got a point to prove...

[​IMG]

(I'm so sorry) D:

4. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Ugh, UGH, I had forgotten about this. :ogg: Now I am :salt: again.

5. gmc_vitamind

gmc_vitamind Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Ohmygod, I remember now when Daryl did that and now I'm PISSSED all over again.

6. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    My criticism is completely resting on the shoulders of the writers. The writers are so adamant about having story lines follow the comic, yet they have created an original character that is NOT in the comic. They should let this character have different story lines and different interactions with established characters in order to better highlight and give insight into the actual characters from the comic. For instance, the writers could have used Daryl as a device to really help develop Rosita on the show...Instead, Daryl doesn't really add anything to the narrative at this point. He is there to "remix" the plot so that the writers can surprise the comic book readers...he is a device that isn't being used to his best potential. Season 1 - 3, he was being used correctly. The cast is bloated and needs to be trimmed so the viewers actually develop full connections to the characters we are suppose to care about...I mean...what does Tara even do?

After a while, I assumed maybe the writers were basically leading Daryl to slaughter and fattening him up with the love and admiration of the fans i.e. the writers made this Byronic hero to get the love of the audience just so that when the time came for them to kill him off, he would be the ultimate gut check moment for the viewers...like GRRM has done with some of his characters. But no...I don't think the writers are even brave enough to do that now.

SO yeah, my gripe has always been with the writers.

7. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    You essentially said everything I feel about Daryl.

lanielove likes this.
  8. LaToya78

LaToya78 Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I believe Scott gimple wants to kill him off but amc won't let him, What really convinced me was the tvline interview.

Madness likes this.
  9. candi18z

candi18z Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    What did Gimple say in the TVline interview that convinced you that he wants to kill off Daryl?

10. LaToya78

Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Someone posted the video on here, in the video Scott gimple was asked about negan he said something along the lines of they're under his thumb. Talking about the characters, When he said it he turns around and looks at Jeffery dean morgan, he's sees norman reedus standing in front of him and says not this guy, were under his thumb implying that the writers are under Norman reedus's thumb and everything they do has to involved him that's the impression i got. It just seems that Scott gimple took a dig at him, that to me comes off like he doesn't want to keep writing for him but has to. I can't really explain it, it's in the video.

#90 LaToya78, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  11. candi18z

candi18z Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Thanks for telling me. I looked at the video and saw the part you mentioned and Gimple was throwing some shade at Norman. I've always felt that Gimple doesn't like the character of Daryl, but he is forced to write for him because of AMC.

Madness likes this.
  12. LaToya78

Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Exactly

Madness likes this.
  13. Narna

Narna Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:
    Sometimes I don't know how could he fit into the narrative with a totally different story which is not a boring filler, and doesn't "take away from others.". So him taking some parts of the comic story is understandable in my opinion.

But I agree. He was the best and was used correctly in Season 1-3, now he isn't used correctly. Even though I love the character I am very disappointed that they don't take any opportunity to give him meaningful story. But I still like him. Probably because of his S1-3 self.

14. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Here is the thing: Season 1-3 was all new story line that didn't take story from anyone else and, in my opinion, wasn't filler. Merle was original and so was Daryl. Merle was basically like a foil. They were used to show ideas about morality and redemption in the zombie apocalypse. They were also used to highlight other characters nicely. What better way to show how good Rick is immediately for the general audience than to have that interaction between Merle and Rick on the roof in the first season. There isn't any black or white anymore just the dead and the living.

Katbird likes this.
  15. Madness

Madness Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    First post here, long time lurker. Found this thread when searching "Norman Reedus creative control for character" on google. I highly believe Reedus was responsible for JDM being cast without an audition (which makes sense based on how poorly JDM's performance as Negan has been received by a decent portion of the fan base). Due to this, with how much clout Reedus has with AMC, i wouldn't be surprised if the plot point of Daryl punching Negan only to be taken to the Sanctuary was his idea so that Reedus and JDM could film a few episodes together.

SweetDee85, Katbird, Lennykae and 3 others like this.
  16. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I wouldn't be surprised of this either. It's hard to say without definitive proof, but there has been some chatter before about NR having more-than-is-usual creative control.

The entire subplot of Daryl being at the Sanctuary smelled of NR and JDM wanting screen time together to me as well -- or at least to put them in close proximity -- because that arc hasn't seemingly done much for Daryl's character or the show in general. (It was also material from AOW that was supposed to go to Eugene.)

I've got a feeling there's something fishy going on, but that's all it is -- a feeling. But you're not alone.

17. ChesterGhost76

ChesterGhost76 Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    I wouldn't be surprised to hear that NR had some influence in the casting of JDM. But, that happens at most jobs...if we have a position open at my company, and a former colleague or friend is interested, of course I'll push for their benefit. But, it also sounds like perhaps AMC doesn't have the most rigorous auditioning process either, since Tom Payne said he sent in an audition tape for what he believed was a small guest role and was cast as Jesus 3 days later...

18. Madness

Walker Pets:
    I never knew about this. Makes perfect sense though.I have to see this video now :pray::pray::pray:

19. Madness

Walker Pets:
    I hear you, but you would think for a role as big and impactful as what Negan should of been for the series, TPTB would of actually went through a thorough auditioning process instead of just casting who Reedus wanted them to pick for the role.

A good example of this is Ezekiel and the casting of Khary Payton. He actually auditioned for his role and in my opinion has nailed it ouf of the park so far.

SweetDee85 and ChesterGhost76 like this.
  20. ChesterGhost76

ChesterGhost76 Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    That's true re: Ezekiel. However, I'm having a difficult time deciphering whether it's the writing for Negan that is falling flat or the way he is being portrayed by JDM. I actually loved the way he portrayed him in 6.16 and 7.1 because it was an odd mix of jolly evil. For a second, you start to think, "he's not so bad....he's just misunderstood..." and then you're like, "no...wait...he's just a psycho." Lol.

I just wonder how much pull NR could really have on the network. I mean, what's his leverage? "Do this my way or I'm leaving?" He's not leaving. No one would buy that even if he did threaten it. So, what else is he doing? Having temper tantrums? I just don't know why they'd listen to him.

Katbird and Madness like this.