1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Paintings, Books, Posters, and Signs: Foreshadowing or Nonsense?

Discussion in 'Speculation' started by Doctor Grimes, May 15, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Books on Rick's nightstand:
    [​IMG]
    The Indwelling by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. It's the seventh book in the Left Behind series.

Books on Michonne's nightstand:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Mullah's Storm by Thomas W. Young.
    Assassins by Tim LaHaye. It's the sixth book in the Left Behind series.

Books in the library (where Carol and Morgan talked):
    [​IMG]
    Payback (I don't know the author; I think the title is significant).
    Deadly Care by Leonard Goldberg. It's the third book in Goldberg's Joana Blalock series.

Posters & Paintings:
    [​IMG]
    Silver Wings brand cigarettes in 6.10. This is a fake brand of cigarettes made for the show, so the name is most likely significant.

[​IMG]
    A painting of the Queen of Spades, Queen of Clubs, and Queen of Hearts in Rick and Michonne's house in 6.11.

[​IMG]
    Queen Charlotte portrait by Benjamin West.

[​IMG]
    George Washington portrait by Rembrandt Peale.

[​IMG]
    Creepy hand poster (IDK what this is)

[​IMG]
    Two birds.

[​IMG]
    Three birds on the left and two birds on the right.

[​IMG]
    Some leaves. (?)

[​IMG]
    Bikini wearing sunglasses person on a motorcycle in the Outpost. (Aaron was the TF member in this shot)

[​IMG]
    Castle drawing in the library with Carol and Morgan.

[​IMG]
    Baby picture in the library with Carol and Morgan

[​IMG]
    Car atop of money in auto insurance building

[​IMG]
    Photos of two kids on the ground in the pharmacy

[​IMG]
    I think that's some sheep; not sure who the man is supposed to be or the woman

Signs:
    [​IMG]
    Dixon written with Sasha's knife on the door

[​IMG]
    (AA) Pattrick Fuel Company truck

[​IMG]
    Hush written over and over in the backroom of the pharmacy

[​IMG]
    "You Are Alive"

Miscellaneous:
    [​IMG]
    Sherry key chain in the pharmacy

[​IMG]
    Fake brand of whiskey called Danville Bridge

[​IMG]
    Fake brand of cigars called Dona Maria.

#1 Doctor Grimes, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  2. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think it's fascinating that a portrait of Queen Charlotte was behind Maggie when she was talking to Gregory; same with the portrait of George Washington being behind Rick. Seems indicative of their possible roles in the future.

3. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Sorry, but I gotta say I find it absolutely cute that Rick and Michonne are reading the same book series, and Rick is ahead of Michonne.

4. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    :lol: Not even gonna lie, that made me laugh so hard when I noticed they were both reading the same series and Rick was actually ahead of Michonne.

I wonder if Rick teases her with spoilers.

5. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I forget which thread it was here, but we were discussing Rick reading and I said maybe they discuss books in bed and have 'study sessions'. We were thinking Rick is more well rounded than he appears on the surface. I like this. I love nerds, especially secret undercover nerds. He doesn't have to be some deep philosophical thinker but we know he reads because of this scene and when he relaxes with a book in season four before the Claimers arrive. Them reading the same book series is too cute.

6. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Rick the undercover nerd. Oh my god I need fic of this.

7. lovingdead

Patron

Walker Pets:
  8. lovingdead

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Someone pointed out that he commented on the African statues in the airport in Atlanta during season one. I plan to rewatch from the beginning after my graduation so I will look out for it. Michonne may be the art connoisseur and more polished and sophisticated, but Rick is no dumb hick.

I think the books are there for a reason. I don't count on them following the plots point for point, but the general themes are probably clues to story lines.

coffeebean and Barbarossa-TWD like this.
  9. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I hope he's bad with spoilers as his actor is, letting things unintentionally slip.

Anyway, I really wanna know what that Payback book is about. Sounds ominous...

10. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm not sure. I can't tell if the book is actually titled Payback or if that's just the larger text on the back of the book. In any case, I take it the title is the significant part rather than the book's plot.

It probably means the reason Carol will join the war effort and turn on her no-kill ways is revenge.

11. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    My analysis of various images we see...

[​IMG]
    The Mullah's Storm by Thomas W. Young.

Here is the plot synopsis:

In this impressive first novel by a decorated former flight engineer who served in Iraq and Afghanistan with the Air National Guard, the conflict in Afghanistan is reduced in gripping personal terms to its basics: Man against man, man against nature, hope against despair, fear against itself. Major Michael Parson is the navigator of a C-130 Hercules carrying a high-ranking Taliban mullah to an interrogation center. After the plane is downed by a shoulder-launched missile and other surviving crew members are killed by insurgents, Parson and interpreter Gold escape with their shackled prisoner. Stranded in the bone-chilling wilds of the Hindu Kush, with no chance of rescue because of low visibility, they hole up in snow caves, nurse injuries and await the enemy. In a terrifying sequence in the first part of the book that brings Parson to tears, they are captured by the Taliban and about to be beheaded. An Afghan-American squad saves Parson but can't prevent the ruthless Marwan and his men from dragging off Gold. When orders from above make saving her a secondary priority, Parson goes after her alone. Ultimately, he is influenced by the sense of morality she maintains even after she is tortured. Young is an excellent storyteller, creating memorable characters with Hemingway-like understatement and precision. His descriptions of the terrain, the sound different weapons make, the feeling of fingers and toes succumbing to frostbite, the way thinks look through night vision goggles, are superb.​

This makes me think that, if Negan takes a captive, it will be Michonne.

[​IMG]
    Payback makes me think that Carol's motivation of killing again will be revenge (or "payback").
    Deadly Care is just a nod to Lucille. It's about a forensics expert trying to track down a serial killer who destroys people's faces beyond recognition.

[​IMG]
    "Silver Wings" is a song by Merle Haggard (ha, Merle, like Daryl's brother). It's about a man mourning someone he loves leaving his life. "on silver wings" (meaning airplane). I think this could be a nod to Daryl either dying (becoming an angel with silver wings like those on his back / leaving this mortal coil on his silver wings) or someone close to Daryl dying.

[​IMG]
    I think this painting points toward three women ruling three communities: Maggie (Hilltop), Carol (Kingdom), and Michonne (Alexandria).

[​IMG]
    Maggie being by the portrait of Queen Charlotte indicates she will be one of the queens.

[​IMG]
    Rick being next to a portrait of George Washington represents that he will be a general in a coming war (like George Washington during the Revolution) and rise to leadership.

[​IMG]
    The castle drawing hints at the medieval-esque "Kingdom" that is coming in Carol and Morgan's future. Once again highlighting that Carol may be the Queen of this Kingdom.

12. Butler36

Butler36 What?
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The interesting thing about Queen Charlotte was she was rumored to be of African ancestry and was the wife of "Mad" King George who had to abdicate the throne because he was mentally unfit and pass it on to his son. It is interesting it is paired with the other George who is obviously a founder of a new society.

The show also wants us to think on Kings and Queens obviously. George Washington famously didn't want to be a king or perceived as one (which matches another historical figure that has been alluded to Rick which was Cincinattus who abdicated his dictatorship of Rome to become a farmer). George Washington also returned to his farm to live a normal life after his time of leadership had ended.

13. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The Indwelling being on Rick's nightstand could be significant in that it is indicative of what his mindset will be in the coming season.

In Christianity, the "indwelling" is whenever the Holy Spirit takes residence inside of a person. On the show, going with the Christian imagery they've displayed so far, Negan is actually more of the representative "God" figure (or false God). As such, Rick being filled with the "Holy Spirit" more than likely means getting filled with "fear" -- and being a puppet to Negan's will.

Contrast to Assassins being on Michonne's nightstand, this could be indicative of her taking a more offensive stance against Negan -- perhaps her anger being reignited. She could be the one who takes the first crack at trying to kill Negan.

... or it just means they're both nerds who like to read (and Rick is a faster reader than Michonne). :lol:

14. mellowalkerstalker

mellowalkerstalker Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    it was in season 4 episode 1 that he mentioned the statues :) he was talking about them with the crazy woman with the long black hair

15. lovingdead

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Ok thanks. I didn't remember that part.

Barbarossa-TWD likes this.
  16. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    [​IMG]

Morning Glory
    The flower symbolism associated with the morning glory is affection. The flower typically lasts for a single morning and dies in the afternoon.

There is an urban dictionary meaning of Morning Glory which also would be appropriate in this scene...

17. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    [​IMG]

Ferris wheels foretells an approaching change of conditions which may not seem pleasant at first, but will be positive in the long run.
    The Ferris Wheel could be symbolic of the “circle of life.” It may represent the ups and downs of life that create the total life experience.

18. WoodEroc76

WoodEroc76 Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
  19. richonnelove

richonnelove Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I wonder which couple's baby this drawing symbolizes? The baby looks mixed so it could be Glenn/Maggie's child or dare I hope a foreshadow into Richonne's future and it's their child?

What do you think?

20. WoodEroc76

WoodEroc76 Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    I think that it's a drawing/artistically rendered version of Chandler Rigg's baby photo.
    There is a lot of stuff like Carl's shoe placed throughout filming. I think that could be a filming troll to throw people off course or to cause further misdirection. I'd do stuff like that if I were a filmmaker.Ha ha...Most likely it's Glenn & Maggie's baby or Abe & Sasha's........ or............ Norman Reedus? :mwhaha:
    :doc:

#20 WoodEroc76, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016