1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

AMC Official Post-609 Interview with Andrew Lincoln (AMC)

Discussion in '6x09: No Way Out' started by Doctor Grimes, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Q: Where does Sam and Jessie being devoured rank for you among the most painful moments for Rick?

A: When I read the script, I just laughed. Sam gets killed, Jessie gets bit, Ron takes a shot at me and ends up shooting my son’s eye out and then Michonne stabs him. Are you kidding me?! It was bananas! We could have done that scene over four episodes! It was an awful day. The whole sequence took about eight or nine hours because the episode is so big. Saying goodbye to great actors and friends is always painful, but with this particular relationship between Jessie and Rick – she unlocks a part of him that hadn’t been touched since the death of Lori. She was hugely important in the rebuilding of Rick and his future at Alexandria. Also, what Alexandra Breckenridge created with this character in a relatively short time was just brilliant. It was hard on so many levels. We keep getting these brilliant performers on our show, and unfortunately, we keep killing them.

Q: Is it fun to film Rick’s bad-ass moments, like the walker killer spree he goes on after Carl gets shot?

A: In my experience with this guy, he can’t bear it when he doesn’t have control over a situation. He had to hand over what he thinks is his dying son and it’s unbearable for him. The trauma and the grief that’s happening after Jessie just turned into absolute white anger. He’s so wrecked by grief. It’s the only way to get rid of this paralysis. He just turned it into rage and what he does is insane.​

Read the full Q&A at AMC.com

2. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Great Q&A! Highlight was the laughing part of course. Even though Andy didn't mean to be callous, I'm choosing to interpret it that way for my own entertainment. And I didn't even think about him turning control over to Denise in that moment and how helpless that would have made Rick feel. Loved the hope part! I'm truly looking at 6.9 as the end of 6a. Rick has cut the chains to his past and is looking forward FINALLY. 6.10 is the real start to our new season!!

3. Misty Knight

Patron

Walker Pets:
    He is so nice because Jessie's last scene where she made her death look like the walkers were just preventing her from checking out at Wal-Mart was absolutely amazing.

[​IMG]

4. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I love that Andy laughed at the chop scene. I understand why, it was incredibly ridiculous, but it also shows he doesn't give a fuck about Jessie.

In addition, I love the phrasing here: Saying goodbye to great actors and friends is always painful, but with this particular relationship between Jessie and Rick – she unlocks a part of him that hadn’t been touched since the death of Lori.

Andy is pointblank saying, "Yeah, usually I advocate for the actors to stay... but Jessie had to die."

Jessie's death is what is integral to Rick's character development. Not her life.

MsT05, Shown, Clutterbuck and 5 others like this.
  5. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Oh Andy. His laughing about this following the gutted reaction he had to filming the season finale is why I love him so much.

MamaGrimes likes this.
  6. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts Atlanta hunting down 712 Director's Cut
    Custom Banner
    Thank god, the real Andy has returned. This sounds more like our man and dropping some little Richonne nuggets along the way.

#6 Armte, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  7. Leannan

Leannan Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    I love Andrew Lincoln, he's so committed to Rick. I'm sure he feels drained after dealing with that storyline and he's even lighter now that it's been cut off, you can tell by the interviews how much lighter he is about it.

8. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This makes me feel a lot better about his comments. He's so nice thought... "What AB brought to the character..." how nice.

Shown likes this.
  9. thenidefyyoustars

thenidefyyoustars Vault-Tec's #1 Richonne Shipper
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I love his lowkey shade.

Ship Verse likes this.
  10. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Y'all made me put my stan hat on yesterday. Told ya he didn't suddenly fall off the wagon ;)

"He's kind. You can't get a rotten word out of that person."-Tovah Feldshuh

11. Misty Knight

Patron

Walker Pets:
    [​IMG]

How do you bribe a British man?

Clutterbuck and Ship Verse like this.
  12. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    [​IMG]

13. ThatGrimesGirl

ThatGrimesGirl Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    Q: After Carl gets shot, Rick shares with us his desire to show Carl “the new world.” What do you think his new world consists of?

A: I think it’s the first time he really sees a viable future. It’s the first time that he feels hope since before the apocalypse – it’s not spoken of, but it’s absolutely there. He feels he can start again and the community can build a real civilization. It’s everything that Deanna had been talking about – which he didn’t believe until everybody stood together and showed themselves to be warriors. It’s pure hope. Everything else has been pure survival. He also realizes he’s been wrong. It’s a big turning point in his evolution as a leader.

This answer speaks volumes and has gotten rid of my saltiness. Jessie was just chopped and Rick sees a viable future and has hope that he hasn't felt since the apocalypse. Damn that's cold, but I love it!

14. cgomes

cgomes Ricktator
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Yes, Andy, that's why I love him!!