1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Rate & Review 6x09 "No Way Out"

Discussion in '6x09: No Way Out' started by Doctor Grimes, Feb 14, 2016.

?

Rate 6x09 "No Way Out"

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  6. 6

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  7. 7

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  8. 8

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  9. 9

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  10. 10

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    So what'd you think? On a scale of 1-10.

2. Bazooka Jane

Bazooka Jane On a pirate ship
    Patron

Walker Pets:

The Good:

Eh, Super Daryl was alright.
    Sabe saving Glen's bacon was great.
    Gabriel's epic little speech was the tops.
    CARONNE LIVES!!!!
    JUDONNE LIVES!!!!
    THE ANDERSONS ARE FUCKING DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Andy doin' it in that last scene.

The Bad
    That fucking montage...just why...
    The herd fight was only ok.
    The poncho lift was meh.
    Sam wasn't even making noises, why did those walkers get him? How did Rick not see them coming? The choreography for that was wonky.
    There was so much stalling, Jesus Christ, the middle dragggged.

DirtieBirdie, Ship Verse and Leannan like this.
  3. felicity79

felicity79 Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    Ok..the goods
    How many people cried when Andy started cryin at the end. I rewinded that several times ..cause I like to torture myself and cry appearantly.
    When Morgan asked about Carol kid and husband. (I cried)
    I had forgotten for a moment that
    I look up spoilers and knew that Steven Yeun still filmed after this cause I was legit scared and screaming when he got surrounded , I thought he was a goner
    Gabriel(I cried)
    Carll ( I cried)

The bads
    There was a time where it went back and forth too much, like between Wolf and Denise and then Glen and Enid, I guess that would be editing, but just when I was about to get into the conversation , it would switch back,
    Carol voice0ver. It basically made it seem like Sam died because of Carol.
    No Caryl :(
    I want to sit on wolf man's face. That dude is giving me feeeling in my nether regions on the talkin dead.
    I would like for Carrie Underwood to sit on my face.
    It took me like 30 minutes to type this because of Vodka.

LemonMartini and Leannan like this.
  4. vaberella

vaberella Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 9.
    The Great
    1. Michonne
    2. Carchonne
    3. The Wolf/Denise
    4. Sasham

The Good
    1. Daryl
    2. Eugene
    3. Father Gabriel

The Bad
    1. Carol
    2. The Andersons
    3. The montage (atlhough I'm not hung up on it).

Can't Rate but full of impact

1. Michonne having the most kills to protect her people.
    2. The Wolf changing perspectives
    3. Eugene and Father Gabriel coming through.
    4. Michonne kissing Carl
    5. Michonne holding baby Judith.

MsT05 likes this.
  5. Mousey

Mousey Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    No Way Out is a 9/10 for me, and a strong one too, for sure. I honestly think knowing spoilers kept me from thinking it's a perfect 10, LOL. /dontcarewontstop

Yea
    • Glenn and Enid's scenes. The callbacks to our dearly departed were so needed.
    • Sasha and Abraham in the opening and closing bits. Perfect pair.
    • Michonne kissing Carl's head before running out to Rick. I NEEDED IT. Her holding Judy tonight too made me stop for a bit because it was so unexpected. (Everything Michonne was gold tonight though, seriously. Panicking through the herd, the Ron death scene, all of it.)
    • RICK'S SPEECH AT CARL'S BEDSIDE. I started tearing up because Andy was just so full of emotion and pathos. I am so ready for Big Thinker Rick to arrive and save this disaster of a season for Rick.
    • The Wolf and Denise's scenes were way better than I expected. Wever deserved all the praise she got for tonight, but Alpha deserved more too. He was so freaking charming on Talking Dead I couldn't contain myself, omg.
    • The tension of Morgan and Carol's scene, even if I am beyond clueless on what that means for those two. It struck me as ominous, which I dislike massively.
    Nay
    • The Anderson deaths were too tame. I never thought I'd live in a world where I wanted more gore out of this show but it was too tame. We got to see poor Noah's mouth ripped off his skull, but next to nothing of Sam and literally nothing of Jessie save the arm hack? Calling bullshit on this. Also calling super bullshit on the reviewer who said this episode went too far. But yeah, it deadened the impact of these already predicable deaths. They were also too quiet. We needed shrieking and awfulness everywhere. It wasn't earned. Not off that "Mom" cliffhanger. No sir.
    • Daryl theatrics. I've tried so hard to hold on to why I like him but nah.
    • Yet another Glenn near-death moment, even if we got that cute Abraham rescue moment. Let that child alone!
    • I'm so done with the Rosita/Eugene dynamic and sincerely hope they never write them together on the show.

6. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Oh MY GOD....lol...you just saved me a whole lot of typing Mousey! I agree with absolutely everything you said. Everything. Thank you!

Mousey likes this.
  7. MidnightRose76

MidnightRose76 Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    This episode had me in all kinds of emotional and heart pounding messes. I must give it a 10. Probably my favorite episode yet.

8. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Really hard for me to rate accurately at the moment.

Pros:
    - Sasha, Daryl, and Abraham were actually all pretty awesome. Especially Abraham.
    - Michonne showing concern for Judith when she left with Gabriel.
    - Michonne tending to Carl when he was injured. (Gah, my heart.)
    - Everyone joining in the herd fight. I was happy to see the group come together in that way.
    - Melissa McBride knocking it out of the park. Her face after Carol shot the wolf? I was gutted.
    - Jessie is dead. Finally.
    - Dark Carl is coming. I am angsting about Carl, but I think Chandler is gonna nail it.
    - Glenn and Daryl shared words! (whaaaat)

Cons:
    - Stupid dialogue. Hoffman, you disappointed me. I feel ashamed for having called you my favorite.
    - THAT STUPID MONTAGE. Why the fuck. It served no purpose but to make me fly into an unholy rage.
    - Daryl being super man. However, that said, he was actually one of the highlights this episode which makes me swallow vomit and bile.
    - Rick had no epiphany. He can shove that end monologue up his ass. The fact the montage and Rick's reticence to learn a DAMN THING about how his involvement in this Anderson mess resulted in his HALF-BLINDED SON has aggravated me so severely is indicative the writers dropped the ball hard.
    - Like @Mousey, the Rosita and Eugene stuff bothered me.
    - The Anderson death WAS tame. I expected more gore.

9. Mousey

Mousey Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Holy crap, and how did I forget GABRIEL? I was throwing up fists of solidarity at every word out of his mouth tonight. Seth was just a powerhouse tonight in a very real way. His speech at the church door especially was wonderful. I hope they keep using him to his fullest.

10. deadaddict

deadaddict Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    7 out of 10

11. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Gabriel was definitely a highlight. I love him so much.

Jimmy likes this.
  12. ThatGrimesGirl

ThatGrimesGirl Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    Jessie is dead....so that alone is worth a 9 in my book, Didn't care for the montage at all. Liked FG and Eugene stepped up their game.

13. Eznona

Eznona Watchtower Sniper
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Disclaimer: I have to say that I do not rate episodes based on Richonne happenings...Those moments just make the episodes extra special to me.

With that being said, It was an easy 10 for me. One of their best episodes in the series in my eyes. We especially the loved the sequence at the end of everyone fighting feverishly to help kill the walkers. Awesome shots.

Mousey likes this.
  14. DCBABY

DCBABY Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I gave it an 8.

Pretty much anything involving Daryl gets minus 1 point off the jump. The rpg blast was bad ass, but how many times is he blowing crap up?

The other point was for Glenn "almost dying" yet again. I mean really. This mess is getting old.

The Jessie montage was for the GA, not for us. They need to remember she could've been somebody. She could've been a contender, instead of a bum, which is what she is...LOL! But yeah, everyone needed to remember Rick was ready to move on and now if not Jessie...then who? ;)

PennyLane71 and Bazooka Jane like this.
  15. Bazooka Jane

Bazooka Jane On a pirate ship
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I just gotta say that it astounds me how Gimple is such a comic fanboy but he fucks up the iconic comic moments 9 times out of 10. The whole chop scene was weird; the ninja walkers that got Sam and Jessie are almost comical because they had people standing on either side of them just chillin' while the walkers moseyed over. Just have them walking in the line, Sam audible freaks out, walker gets him, Jessie screams, walker gets her, CHOP, everyone runs away to a clearer space. Ron tries it, Michonne shuts it down, Carl gets his eye out. Simple, quick, done.

#15 Bazooka Jane, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    thehollow, rlsatk, tuswig and 8 others like this.
  16. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    All this.

17. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 7. I liked it better on a second viewing but this whole wolf "redemption" still irked me. I'm sorry but I'm not going to forget that a few hours before he was ready to kill everyone. Now he's grown a soft spot for Denise? Nope.
    I liked the Jessie and Sam deaths, hearing the muffled screams and seeing the walkers drag them down was very chilling. I liked the flashbacks of Jessie, it gave me the impression that this idea Rick had of her was tainted and with every chop he was letting go every bit of that infatuation.
    Everything with F.Gabriel was great. Him stepping up and getting Judith to safety, giving a speech to rile up the troops, and getting out there to defend his home, I loved it all.
    The only other thing I didn't like besides Denise and the wolf, was the fact that Carl had to call for his dad to come help him get free from Jessie. Him standing back for as long as he did, I mean Michonne could've slid in there and chopped her arm off with as much time as it took Rick to snap out of it.

18. DirtieBirdie

DirtieBirdie Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    This irked me too. Rick was standing around in a Jessie haze (really?) while she was being gnawed at and Carl was in clear danger. That's why the montage irked me. He's picturing her blah smile while all this is going on? I'm not buying it.

Lyra_Nation and michonne like this.
  19. LemonMartini

LemonMartini Walker Bait

Walker Pets:

What made this episode good was the fighting at the end. That was wonderfully directed, especially when they were slashing at the camera. But there were a couple of things that were so unbelievably amateur about the episode.

1) The entire poncho walk. Considering the cliffhanger of the MSF was "Mom", was it just an oversight that there was no direct followup there? When Sam actually got devoured by walkers he was barely making noise compared to calling out for Jessie, yet no walkers heard him then? And one of the things that bothered me was Rick deciding to switch plans because there's too many walkers unless I'm misremembering the dialogue. It just sounded so ridic cuz dude, you saw got chased by that herd and gazed at them from a platform for half a day...ofc there are a lot of walkers, wtf. I just found that scene unnecessary as it could have easily been done in the MSF rather than have them transfer Judith from Carl to Gabriel in the middle of the herd. And speaking of Judith, that pretty much confirmed to me she's Shane's kid because there's no way that Rick would trust someone who just learned to fight the previous day to keep his kid safe in that circumstance.

2) The chop. I was surprised by how terribly they failed there. I was expecting that scene to happen very quickly to feel the intensity of it but it felt so unnecessarily slow. Jessie was 1) ambushed by too many walkers and 2) looked like she had given up, so she wouldn't have such a death grip on Carl. It should have been like Patricia's death for her to have such a tight grip.

3) The Wolf's "redemption arc". This is something you'd expect to find in a children's book, not in a drama for adults. Here's a tip for TWD: redemption arcs rarely work for short-term villains, especially on your show, so let them live up to their full potential and go out in all their sociopathic glory. Quick drastic changes on this show were bad enough already, but now they decided to have someone who derived pleasure from brutally murdering, torturing, dismembering people just the previous day just "change" and have that suggested by a psychiatrist, who from experience would know how implausible this is.

CrownRoyale, Zadiee, michonne and 3 others like this.
  20. QoD5800

QoD5800 Searching for Sophia
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 7. There have been some bad episodes this season, but there has been better mid-season openers (Nebraska, Clear, After). I somehow managed to stay unspoiled besides the chop, so I think it played a factor in my score too.

My biggest cons of the episode were:
    • The chop scene was dry. I'm talking bout lack of gore/blood and AB's performance. Uh, I do recall every severed limb that was done on this show being extra bloody. We can't get a lil more blood and some more splatter? Then AB's performance just ruined the moment. Like, you're being devoured by zombies, pretend to be in terror or something. She was out acted by Major and for all the build up, this moment tanked.
    • Continuing on with the chop scene, I don't understand why Rick was just standing there like that and the slow motion effect. I just remember thinking "why the f--k is he just standing there?" I'm sure this was done by tptb to emphasize the moment but it only enhanced how drawn out that moment was.
    • The wolf guy. All of a sudden he gets his conscious back, becomes some grimy hero that saves Denise and I'm supposed to all of a sudden care about the guy? No. Plus I wouldn't have minded seeing him get ripped apart either.
    Other than that it was a good episode. I sure as hell didn't see the saviors getting blown up coming and it was nice to be in shock for once. Also, ngl I kinda screamed when the walkers got Sam only because I didn't know when it was gonna happen then BOOM he got got.

Everyone seemed to step up this episode and TF was good (minus Rosita, I'm ready for her to go). ALL of the scenes with Michonne were my favorite. She was the best part of this entire episode. Her caring for her babies and her fearlessness out in the heard to save Carl...that's all that mattered to me in the end.

michonne likes this.