1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Rate & Review 6x09 "No Way Out"

Discussion in '6x09: No Way Out' started by Doctor Grimes, Feb 14, 2016.

?

Rate 6x09 "No Way Out"

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  6. 6

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  7. 7

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  8. 8

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  9. 9

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  10. 10

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts of Atlanta hunting down 712 footage
    Custom Banner
    I gave it a 6 because it was uneven as hell, it really could have been a 10. It has some epic moments and then scenes that fell completely flat. It was also hurt by the decisions Gimple made in pacing 6A, it had to rush through so many important scenes but yet had time for boring monologues from Glenn and Denise/wolf.

What I loved about the episode:
    • Sasha, Abe, and Daryl were the A team. Any enjoyment I felt for this episode was from their scenes. I didn't even find Daryl superhero antics gag worthy. Would havepreferred If Abe shot the rocket launcher the second time.
    • Michonne and Carl - the love Michonne showed for Carl and her fierce protection of him and Judith is everything. Love how she questioned father g, to confirm he could really handle Judith.
    • And so it begins father G redemption arc. Hated father G but now willing to give him a chance.
    • Loved the rest of the ASZ folks finally maning up and making a stand.
    Now my disappointment "the chop" was supposed to be epic. Gimple changed storyline, shoved certain characters down our throats, for the payoff and it sucked. Well established I am a Richonner and I won't bring those disappointments in here. My issues were the way the scene was shot and pacing, there were moments that were completely illogical. Everyone standing around looking at Sam, Jessie standing around looking at Sam be eaten, then Ron holding a gun standing there looking at Rick. There was a lot going on, walkers all around them, people yelling and crying and there was a lot of pausing and inaction. Which we all know is wrong because walkers swarm fresh meat like vultures. Then when the zombies finally chomped down, you never saw them coming, they were like zombie black ops, they came out of no where even though you knew they were surrounded. It seemed like Rick was making one bad decision after the other. If I was a Daryl fan or not a Rick fan, I would be thinking why would anyone want to follow Rick's lead.

I need resolution to the Morgan and Carol strife, that has been dragged out enough.

2. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    5/10
    • The Big Chop scene was nowhere near as satisfying as I thought it would be. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the entire sequence with the deaths of the Anderson family and Carl getting shot just felt off. The way it was staged and acted out, it was awkward. I am not quite sure why the armory plan changed but even then at that point Jessie should have taken her children along with Judith to the church. Rick, Michonne and Carl were more than capable of carrying out the mission on their own.
    • The mini Jessie montage; another "artistic" choice made by SG that fell flat. Stop trying to make this show into an art house project, just give us a good story (and some gore)!
    • I just didn't care about Glenn and Enid. I am also tired of the show continuing to put Glenn in these impossible to get out of death scenarios, especially after the fakeout in 6A, it just feels insulting. Also, the whole "Glenn and Maggie always in search of each other/ rescuing each other thing " is getting tired.
    • The Wolves arc was an epic fail.
    • Rosita and Tara's dialogue and acting...one or actually both of them can get killed off now.
    • Morgan was magically able to figure out that Carol was a wife and a mother? OK.
    • I was hoping for a few moments of just Rick and Michonne taking on the walker herd (such an epic moment from the comics).
    • Michonne, once again, showing her complete love and devotion to Rick and his children...this is beginning to feel a bit one sided.
    • OK with Daryl taking out the Saviors with the RPG, but Abe is a military man (hell he was even wearing a damn uniform!) AND he found those RPG's, he should have had that moment in the end with igniting the lake of fire
    • Usually I enjoy the GN directed episodes but I am beginning to think that he should stick with what he does best...makeup and special effects. I found the scene with the shot of everyone taking out walkers (from walkers pov) to be...overdramatic and kind of corny.
    • I never felt like Carl's life was really in danger, one moment he is shot, the next moment, he is squeezing Rick's hand, not much tension. I thought this was handled alot better in season 2 on the farm.
    • Rick's "whole new world" speech to Carl, not even AL's acting could salvage this terrible monologue, cringe inducing.

3. Bazooka Jane

Bazooka Jane On a pirate ship
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Wait: wasn't the original plan to go to the armory, get flares and guns, get to the cars and lead the walkers off in different directions? What exactly did they change about that plan other than not going to the armory first because reasons? Seriously Rick wtf?

4. Mousey

Mousey Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    The plan regroup bothered me a lot. I think it was a plot ass-pull, since Nicotero insisted it happen at night, but it couldn't have if they kept going with the scene like the director began it for Start to Finish. But it totally ruined the moment for me (well, that and the cop-out choices Nicotero made in filming the chop).

tuswig, Lyra_Nation and Bazooka Jane like this.
  5. Bazooka Jane

Bazooka Jane On a pirate ship
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    All they had to do was plot out Heads Up so that the tower fell around late afternoon. Start to Finish could happen during dusk (half of those scenes were in a studio, they could have fixed up dusk lighting), and boom! Night time for No Way Out. Easy, so fucking easy...

tuswig and Mousey like this.
  6. rlsatk

rlsatk Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    So I changed my rating 3 times :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::eek: I'm going with 6 because over all I was underwhelmed by the episode. It feels like we've been waiting for this episode for a whole year, ever since we found out Seth was writing it. It always felt like it would be a turning point for Richonne. We all had to keep adjusting our expectations as the disastrous 6a progressed. Still I think my expectations were just too high.

The good:
    - Michonne
    - Father Gabe
    - Sasha & Abe
    - Denise and the Wolf
    - Mama Michonne
    - No more Andersons (fucking finally)
    - TF + ASZ vs The Herd.
    - Ron : his "You ... you ..." this tiny moment was fantastic.

The bad:
    - Not enough Michonne
    - Not enough Michonne & Rick fighting the herd. This moment was more emotional in GN.
    - Jessie/AB talking or "acting".
    - The chop scene was not as effective as expected. The "love bite" scene in A was FLAWLESS, so gimple is capable of competently adapting these moments, only he & GN decided add a bit of flourish and tanked it.
    - Super hero Daryl. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:x100
    - I love Glenn but his scenes with Enid crawled and just slowed down the episode.
    - Glenn almost dying yet again.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    - Team GRETAM bits were fillers

In between:
    Rick Grimes. Make better life decisions, son.

cupsofmarmalade and Bazooka Jane like this.
  7. cupsofmarmalade

cupsofmarmalade Searching for Sophia

Walker Pets:
    Pros
    • The Carchonne moment
    • That shot of Rick’s behind as he’s leaving the infirmary to fight the walkers
    • Father G
    • Anderson’s are dead
    Cons
    • Anderson’s death scene was extremely dull. They now have no justification whatsoever for having dragged it out over the hiatus.
    • LC acted it well, but I’m sick of these Glenn fake-outs. And they get more ridiculous each time. I can accept that two people can unleash a lot of bullets from a distance that lead to a lot of very quick unprecise body shots. But I don’t accept that two people can unleash bullets that lead to that many precise headshots in a matter of seconds. Those were a lot of walkers and last time I checked only head shots could kill them. Did you see the way Abe and Sasha were shooting? None of those bullets caught Glenn? Really?
    • Lack of suspense about Carl’s fate. That was a very serious injury and Denise isn’t a trained doctor.
    • Rosita went from tough love to uncharacteristically mean with Eugene. Along with Tara, she’s always been the closest to him. Are they doing that so we feel less sympathy for her when she finds out about the Abe/Sasha thing?
    Overall I give it a 7, but a high 6 would probably be more accurate. It was a good an okay episode but where the MSF suffered imo from being anti-climatic because nothing particularly noteworthy—in the good sense, because the Carol/Morgan showdown was noteworthy for the wrong reasons—happened, and there wasn’t much in the way of excitement and suspense. The MSP was anti-climatic for the opposite reason, things happened but not to their full potential. The Anderson death was boring, when it should have been one of the moments on the show that really lived on in people’s minds. It should’ve at least been on par with the impact that Lizzie and Mika’s death had. Two kids died and another got shot, but it was completely forgettable. And the way they filmed and acted it was almost mechanical.

Edit: downgraded to a 6 because if it was that boring on the first watch, it’s only going to be worse on the second. And I have no desire to ever re-watch this episode.

#27 cupsofmarmalade, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  8. thesamurai

thesamurai The World Is Ours
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Even with my saltiness last night, I still rated this episode an 8 out of 10. If I wasn't a shipper, I would have loved this episode so much and a score of 8 is what I would have given it. So I took my shipper goggles off and rated.

I'm only going to talk about the pros cause I don't want to become salty again over this episode, and I'm sure y'alls knows as fellow Richonners what I'm talking about, so:

- Michonne. Michonne everything.
    - Mama Michonne. Her kissing Carl. Her holding Judith. Her taking care of both of them. Her devastated face when she was making a path to the infirmary to save Carl. Everything hurt but felt wonderful at the same time ;_; Hands down the best parts of the whole episode.
    - Gabe. He really stepped up this episode. I have high hopes for him in the future.
    - Denise and her being able to overcome her fear to help Carl. She was amazing.
    - The whole community really stepped up. I loved the montage of them fighting together at the end. I can understand why some people found that cheesy, but since I'm a fan of the GN, I LOVED IT. It was shot exactly like the pages in the GN. My nerd self was nerding the f out!
    - I'm glad Abe was able to be the hero for Glenn at least, since he couldn't use the rocket launcher cause *~ Star of The Show Daryl~*, and the like.
    - And of course Owl Nest being completely disintegrated. FINALLY OH MY GOD. Even if I wasn't a Richonner, I would have still been thrilled to see them go. I was on ONTD and even the non-Richonners were happy to see their demise. When I was watching that moment happen last night, my mom appeared and started to watch it as soon as it was happening and she asked me, "Who's that?" as Supercuts was being eaten, even though she has seen all the episodes.

#28 thesamurai, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  9. Guys, it seems like we are getting some more comments on this episode.
    [​IMG]

Bazooka Jane likes this.
  10. sherunthevillage

sherunthevillage Walker Bait

Walker Pets:
    I agree with several of the posts here. However, I was really underwhelmed with this episode. Some of the choices of the way they shot these scenes was not that good. And it really was hella uneven. Plus someone help me out but did they explain away what happened in the MSF when Sam was calling out " Mom " over and over again because when they went back to Rick and Michonne and them I was like " Did I miss something?" Because they were still walking away from the house as if Sam hadn't been crying for his mom.

I was wondering how they would realistically shoot the Andersons' final death scene. And I know this is a zombie show so I should suspend disbelief for a lot of things you know. It just was so awkward to me. How did silently whimpering Sam get ate but not the other still bodies? Was it because his fears created more smells and what not? Idk I think it would of made more sense if he had been calling for his mom like we saw in the finale, the poor kid. The pacing of this show was just all over the place.

Oh and F*** them! They are trying to use up all of Glenn's nine lives up I see. I was so heated. Still Good guy Glenn is everything to me. And Mama Michonne was A++++++. Yes. She was not in the episode enough but she really did what she needed to get done. And I loved Denise and Pastor Gabriel's scenes ( Surprise surprise for Father Gabriel). I wish they hadn't shown her so incapable before and more like showed her as just nervous about doing what she needed to get done because you don't become a surgeon over a couple of days. But ah well.

I need them to get where they going with Carol and Morgan's arc. These are phenomenal actors please utilize their skill with meatier stuff maybe they are gearing up for the good stuff. IDK

Bazooka Jane likes this.
  11. MsT05

MsT05 Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 5. I'm re-watching because I thought I was just too harsh or distracted the first time but no, it still isn't actually a good ep. It has some key redeeming features but the missteps? Were doozies.

-The scene where the Andersons died was just so badly done. What the hot fuck was that set up? The way it was edited just looked so bad and actually killed momentum even moreso than the midseason finale showing Sam calling for his mom. We come back and they are just walking? Like, WTF? No this doesn't make sense.
    - They stopped in the middle of roamer central to have a full fledged conversation. I get it - it was to ensure Judith's safety and re-arrange the gang but it played so damn clumsy.
    -Why the fuck do people keep getting chomped on by zombies with other people standing right there and watching the zombies approach?
    -The chop chop scene actually made me disappointed in The Grimes family - Rick's always been focused on his family's survival but he stops to cry over Jessie and Sam? And his flashbacks just...made no sense to me really. That storyline was so poorly done from rooter to the tooter.
    -another Glenn's a goner fake out - so.very.badly.done.
    -More of Enid's babbling - why? I still don't give a shit about this child.
    -More Maggie shrieking. I also have no idea why Enid had to save her. Why didn't Maggie just get off the shaky scaffold?
    -Tara & Rosita - pointless in this ep.
    -Morgan STFU
    -Darryl saving the day. I do not understand why they didnt just burn the walkers in the quarry in the first place.
    -the fucking alexandrians needing someone to tell them to man up and protect themselves and their own fuckin' home. Useless twats.
    -the slashing montage - AMC needs to stop being so fuckin' cheap. It looked so hammy to me. This show makes them a shit ton of money - give them some to properly shoot the show. (ETA ok upon rewatch the beginning of the slash montage works - it's when they just fade to black and have the cast slashing it goes to shit. I raise my final score to 5.5.)

The good:
    -A bunch of annoying ass characters and useless story points wrapped up.
    -Michonne in full on mom mode.
    -Michonne in full-on wife mode. It wasn't until re-watch that I noticed her questioning/calling Rick.
    -Danai acting her face off. That woman says everything with that pretty mug of her's.
    -Rick going batshit on the walkes.
    -Abe and Sasha lived
    -The Wolf being redeemed-ish.
    -Denise kicking ass and taking names.
    -Some alexandrians finally acting like they want to live.
    -The montage after the massacre is over - moving lovingly indoors and settling on Michonne holding Judith and Rick's speech of hope to Carl.
    -The message: faith without works is dead.
    -ETA - walkers walking to the fire pit was cool. Another .5 added brining my rating up to 6.)
    I'm staying out of the spoiler section and I'll see if that helps although some of the problems were so glaring, I doubt being spoiler free would help. I have faith that 6B will redeem the show and I'll end up satisfied but what I saw Sunday wasn't it.

#31 MsT05, Feb 17, 2016
    Michroolz and Bazooka Jane like this.
  12. Michroolz

Michroolz Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    Brava! Almost my thoughts entirely.

I cannot, however, go any higher than 5 for this mess of an episode which rates as an 'Oh dear,sigh' on my score-o-meter. This was sloppy, sloppy story-telling and sloppy execution. I would have really liked to have seen the scene where whoever it was told Sam to shut the hell up when he was calling for his mom. Oh, there wasn't such a scene, you say? It was a cheap ass cliffhanger? Oh okay.

What about the burning of the walkers in the lake scene? Ummm didn't we see in The Grove and Still (shudders) that fire is no
    destroyer of walkers? Why did it work this time? It worked because it was SuperDerle this time, you say? Oh okay.

WTH Rick, where did you take these poor people that day turned to night and you still hadn't left the compound?

And on and on.

A question to TPTB - what the hell went wrong? The story was written out for you, with pictures fgs. All you had to do was put it on film. (Warning for crudity) I think you were so busy pleasuring yourselves in your sandbox of artistic choices to even worry about whether the story you were telling made sense.

Can Rick, Michonne and the kids just run off and start anew so I can stop putting at risk the undamaged brain cells I have left by continuing to watch this mess?

ETA - I'm too ashamed to ask the medical professionals in the family as they don't watch the show but wouldn't a seemingly serious head trauma like Carl's require some of daddy Rick's rare AB blood?

I bet Abraham's arse is itching a-plenty right now.

#32 Michroolz, Feb 17, 2016
    MsT05 and Bazooka Jane like this.
  13. MsT05

MsT05 Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    LOL you are hilarious. bravo

Michroolz likes this.
  14. thehollow

thehollow Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    LOL @Michroolz

I gave it an 8.. good episode, but that chop scene ruined what was suppose to be a big moment. Just..no. I'm just glad the useless Anderson family story is over.

Michroolz likes this.
  15. Rhona

Rhona Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I really enjoyed this ep.

The Bad
    - The W guy with Denise. I don't care that he changed at the end and saved her.
    - How Rick cried or sobbed before chopping Jessie's arm. Why? He knew her for a few days. That was beyond stupid
    - Carol & Morgan scenes.
    - Jessie talking at all. Why was she talking to Rick and showing concern for Judith on the long walk? I think Michonne should have been the one or Carl. I hated that so much. I still get angry thinking about her faux concern
    - Enid talking at all. No problem with her I just didn't think it was the time for her brand of crap

The Good
    - Jessie dying
    - Daryl blowing up those saviors
    - Daryl creating that river of fire
    - The Montage - I thought that was really amazing.
    - Michonne taking out all those walkers as they ran to Denise
    - Rick & Michonne not even having to speak but communicated that Carl needed Denise Stat
    - Michonne basically crying on the way to Denise
    - Rick's sobs
    - Jessie dying
    - Michonne taking off Rick's meat top
    - Rick unsheating his axe from his belt. that sound was sexy & brutal at the same time
    - Rick giving zero F&%$'s about his safety and giving into his rage to kill those walkers without help
    - Michonne kissing Carl's forehead
    - Jessie dying
    - Michone holding Judith - yes that is her daughter not Jessie's (ARRGGGHHH)
    - Father Gabe leaving the church and fighting. I was so proud of him at that point. His speech about God giving them the courage to save their town was on point
    - Jessie dying
    - Ron dying - idiot
    - Carl's fingers moves on Rick's in the last scene
    - Abe and Sasha saving Glen
    - The Alexandrian's finally helped save their home
    - Sasha challenging that savior guy - she was not afraid and that was everything
    - Jessie dying