1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Rate & Review 6x10 "The Next World"

Discussion in '6x10: The Next World' started by Doctor Grimes, Feb 21, 2016.

?

Rate & Review 6x10 "The Next World"

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. 8

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  9. 9

13 vote(s)
    14.4%
  10. 10

67 vote(s)
    74.4%
  1. Rambles

Rambles Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    Is she the same baby? I thought it was a new one. I'll have to go look again. I do low key ship Richonne but I'm thinking a time jump is a dumb idea they should have made the MSF longer and Made this one the premier. With a time jump. Or made it really clear on how long the time jump was. Or gone with the ep just with Daryl etc and done Richonne another ep. It felt to me like it was jammed in the end. But I made a meme. Hope you all like it

[​IMG]

MamaGrimes likes this.
  2. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    There's been some confusion over the length of time that has passed, but I think it has been about 2-4 weeks. Danai said "two months" on The Talking Dead, but that doesn't gel with anything else we've heard at all. Gimple said "a few weeks" and I believe Andy said "two weeks". Could be she was just flustered. Two weeks also fits better with what we saw. (Re: Deanna's walker corpse, etc.)

I think Rick and Daryl were going out to get supplies because Alexandria was low. They needed food, toothpaste, stuff like that. I am assuming reconstruction has already happened to the ASZ (and so has clean-up).

Carl's miraculous recovery is the thing that bothers me the most, but I will let it slide. I knew it was going to get tossed to the wayside due to the way they decided to pace this arc, but oh well.

They did do a disservice to skimp over what happened during the time jump. The first few minutes should've touched on everyone, even briefly, so that we could get a glimpse into the "next world". Even if the episode didn't focus on Glenn, Morgan, Carol, Abe, etc. it would've been nice to touch base with them for even a second -- even to see them millying about Alexandria. (Heck, show Abe working on the walls or something).

@MamaGrimes what did your husband dislike with the way they handled Jesus? I thought Rick and Daryl just weren't bent enough about him to kill him or anything. Also, I think Rick and Daryl deciding not to kill him was supposed to show the lighter side of Rick. He's done with that part of himself unless absolutely necessary -- and there was no reason to kill Jesus.

With regard to Jesus jacking Rick's keys, I thought that was just to show how slick Jesus was. He's a ninja after all. :D

3. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Let me clarify....my husband is typical GA casual viewer who doesn't know anything about the comics or know any spoilers. He was annoyed at how Rick and Daryl allowed Jesus to get the jump on them and the chase in the field as well as Rick leaving the truck on an incline near a lake. He just saw it as a farce and not the show he likes.

Having said that, I did explain to him that this show was purposely light as a break and that he will grow to love Jesus so settle the hell down!

My annoyance at my husband was counteracted by both my kids hugging me when Richonne went canon. All is well.

4. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah, the scene in the field was incredibly slapstick, but I thought it was hilarious. I did legit laugh when the truck rolled into the lake because it was such a "womp womp" moment.

5. Ship Verse

Ship Verse Good Riddance 2016. 2017, Let's talk.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I really enjoyed this episode for a multitude of reasons.
    1. Richonne
    2. Carchonne - *** but Carl's evolution. He just got his eye shot out some months ago, whether it will continue to be a problem for him, probably, but he hasn't lost his empathy and compassion that he got from his mother and learned to handle through Michonne. I mean calling Michonne out saying, just accept that I love you and that's important, my heart almost burst.
    3. Daryl Daryl Daryl. I actually loved Daryl in this episode he was funny. It was shades of s2/3 Daryl and I loved that, but the overall trajectory of his story now, not wanting to help and take people in... that's interesting not sure if I'm gonna like it, but it would add some dimension.
    4. Tom Payne. Jesus was everything I wanted him to be and more. He is absolutely gorgeous, let me get that out the way, but he was funny without being corny. He is a breath of fresh air and I'm so excited. Soooooooo excited. He's definitely my 4th favorite player in this game.
    5. Denise!!!! I can't express how much I love this character and the actress. She is so simple and normal and not contrived. She went from being scared, but instead of getting pushed and lectured to much, she found that confidence in herself. It's so beautiful to see her believe in herself and be out and all social. I'm so in love.
    6. Richonne. Again. For all the worries I had, what the general audience would think it went down so damn naturally, I'm still in shock.

This whole episode was what I needed. I think I have been so damn critical of TWD because it began to take itself too seriously and this episode proved to show that they are still human beings. They are still normal, they're not broken. They had normal conversations. I loved it.

6. Lyra_Nation

Lyra_Nation Young, scrappy, and hungry
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Yeah, I've seen a couple of reactions where people don't like it because Rick and Daryl "got played as fools". Lol. But that was the point. This was a comedic episode. But it wasn't completely OTT that it was out of the realm of TWD so I think this was a great episode. I can see, though, if people didn't go into this knowing it was supposed to be funny - how they would be like... 'wtf'?

MamaGrimes likes this.
  7. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I missed everything!!

Boyfriend took me out for a surprise [​IMG]

Bazooka Jane and Lyra_Nation like this.
  8. forevermichonne

forevermichonne Negan's crusty toes on Michonne's good carpet
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    On thing I didn't really get was Carl and Enid's story, it was pretty vauge. Maybe I wasn't paying attention to their scenes in the past enough.

Carl grabbing on to her arm that way had me nervous. For a second I thought that he was going to hurt her and that's where his brain injury and coldness would come into play. Carl was bittersweet this whole episode, he would react in a way that I hated, and then have the sweetest intentions behind them.

Those scenes didn't hit the mark for me, but I do realize that they just needed a reason for Carl to be out there.

9. forevermichonne

forevermichonne Negan's crusty toes on Michonne's good carpet
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    But I'm wondering now why Rick was acting like Daryl was the voice of reason when TF first came to Alexandria. Glenn and Michonne, yeah, but Daryl was right on that porch with Carol and Rick plotting to take the place. Am I wrong on this? Or was he actually for staying in Alexandria because I feel like I barely saw him. If anything I'd call him neutral.

Is this another case of round character square plot?

10. Michroolz

Michroolz Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Very late to the party but the squeeing, texting and skypeing that went on between 'Casa Michroolz' and my sister's place in London melted my fibre optic broadband.
    The episode was so, so,so much better than the MSP. Jesus is very 'puckish' and I like him already. And that bit at the end that no one seems to be talking about?
    whitney.gif

9/10
    ETA - thought the Spencer/Michonne bit was that bit too long. He coulda just told her he thought he saw his mum roaming around. Also how cool was Tovah Feldshuh's special appearance?

#50 Michroolz, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Ship Verse likes this.
  11. CrownRoyale

CrownRoyale Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    I agree, but you could see this coming. SG moved the coup to the beginning of the season because he was always planning to skip "We Find Ourselves." They are rushing to get to Negan, and I kind of get that because they didn't want to wait to 7a (probably because of spoilers) for him to show up. But they probably should have waited or, as you and others speculated before the season started, have "No Way Out" concluded by episode 4, or even even 6 at the latest. That would have left an episode(s) to explore the fallout and 8 could have ended with the Jesus cliffhanger exactly the way it ended in 10.

But I've long since accepted that there will always be flaws and Gimple is going to to do the story the way he wants to. Even if it includes plot holes.

12. Ship Verse

Ship Verse Good Riddance 2016. 2017, Let's talk.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Well Daryl changed pretty early after getting his bike he didn't want to take the gun. Then in First Time Again he was all like we need to find people and Rick was like nah. So I mean Daryl did come around when Carol and Rick were still skeptical.

forevermichonne likes this.
  13. Belle

Belle Perpetual notion machine - what if...
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I rated this one a solid 7. I think it was a good episode and the Richonne stuff worked. I took off points for all the stupid decisions Rick and Daryl made on the road - they drove me bananas! and Enid and Carl's weirdness together. Extra credit for Carchonne goodness.

14. Truthfully it's love

Truthfully it's love Life's candy and the sun's a ball of butter
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    9/10
    There is always room for improvement; in the sense that every Richonne scene get betta and betta!

15. Lyra_Nation

Lyra_Nation Young, scrappy, and hungry
    Patron

Walker Pets:
  16. Rhona

Rhona Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Gave this ep a 10

The Bad
    - Jesus busting into the room while R&M were sleeping - he could have waited

The Good
    - Into to Jesus
    - Michonne following Spencer
    - The soft way Michonne speaks to Spencer
    - Michonne being her perfect self
    - Jesus being a ninja
    - Rick running
    - Sweaty Rick
    - Daryl thinking of Denise and her pop
    - Rick and Daryl pointing their guns at Jesus - badasses
    - Spencer telling Michonne that she has a family back there - everyone can see it but my girl
    - Deanna being put down by her son
    - Carl & Michonne's talk on the porch
    - Carl telling Enid he is not leaving that walker b/c Michonne is out there
    - Michonne smiling at Judith really quickly just before she hugs Carl
    - Richonne's talk on the couch
    - The KISS that all other tv kisses will be measured against!!
    - Rick tonguing Michonne down
    - Rick kissing Michonne tenderly yet so passionate and aggressively
    - How fast Rick got between Michonne's legs and on her back all without looking rushed - that has to be some sort of record
    _ Rick & Michonne having SEX!
    - Richonne so exhausted they could not even move all their limbs off each other
    - Michonne's arm on Rick's chest as they slept
    - Michonne was clearly on top of Rick before they fell asleep
    - Rick's hand on Michonne's ass!!
    - Canon

17. Jessica

Jessica Slopping Pigs
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    4/10 - An episode that suffered from its poor placement, directly after the game-changing mid-season premiere. Completely jumped over the safe-zone's, and more importantly Carl's, recovery from the herd attack. Rick and Daryl were borderline out of character; I did not see Rick and Daryl in that episode. I saw Lincoln and Reedus. Almost an hour of filler, and what they did feature were characters no one feels any affection toward (Spencer), characters that were dumbed down for the benefit of "our heroes" (Jesus, sadly), and characters that should have been prominently featured but weren't (Carl, Michonne.) Episode's sole saving grace was the end, where Rick and Michonne finally get together. Otherwise a cringeworthy waste of an episode. *

*Though not as bad as Still.

18. Rhona

Rhona Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Ok, I will admit that Carl acting aggressive with Enid was off. But, I think that is because of his injury. We also saw this again I LDOE where he told her she is NOT going to Hilltop. He is becoming very dominant alpha, but almost a bit scary, with her. I think it is just her because for some reason, maybe he see's her as his already. That's just me. I also think that Carl is changing in personality as he becomes a man. He has feeling for Enid and refuses to take no for an answer when it comes to her safety. He probably looks at his dad being ruler and wants to emulate that but more brutal. I think it works especially since this whole Negan thing is here. I can totally see Carl killing S Ogg's character just for flicking his hat in LDOE. I am not going to lie - I want Carl to end him. Badly.

The loss of the food was really stupid, I will admit that. I get that the episode was supposed to be light and airy especially after such a heavy 6x9 but Rick is very practical. When he was backing up the truck, I was like, what is he doing. I thought that was really stupid but oh well. Just a way for them to never truly win. That is a theme of this show. As LC said, they will take 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Just the shitty, crap and exciting part of this show.

19. Jessica

Jessica Slopping Pigs
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This is one of two episodes I won't watch unless part of a marathon, and even then, I'd rather not (Still being the other.) A shame, because The Next World does have some good bits, but the absolute stupidity that makes up the majority of the episode far outweighs the good points for me.

20. CDCsuzy

CDCsuzy You will, I will
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I gave this episode a 8/10.

I am a huge Richonne fan so all the interactions with Rick and Michonne from the opening scenes to the closing scenes were beautiful to me. I also enjoyed the Carchonne scenes. The interactions between Rick and Daryl were pleasant but a little over the top for me at times-- very much slapstickish at times--I really liked the introduction of Jesus. I also wish that they would have had conversation between the characters to help the audience transition into the time jump. The part with Spencer, Michonne and Deanna was so much about familial love- I thought it was sweet.

Overall, though the canonization of Richonne for me was momentous and well scripted and the actors knocked it out of the ball park!! Holla!!!

hewontgo likes this.