1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Rate & Review 6x13 "The Same Boat"

Discussion in '6x13: The Same Boat' started by Doctor Grimes, Mar 13, 2016.

?

What did you think of "The Same Boat"?

1. 1

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. 4

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. 5

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  6. 6

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  7. 7

16 vote(s)
    28.1%
  8. 8

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  9. 9

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  10. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Like it says on the tin: please rate and review "The Same Boat".

2. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    What'd y'all think?

3. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I really like this episode because there was good character development for both Maggie and Carol. For the first time in a long time I'm really looking forward to see where the writers take Carol.

So to me, this episode wasn't a waste because it allows me to see more of the characters inner thought so to speak. And I always enjoy episodes like that. The same reason I loved Morgan's bottle episode despite the fact that the placement of it was bad.

4. deadaddict

deadaddict Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    7/10
    I thought it was pretty good!

5. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I liked this episode a lot. I've missed bad ass Maggie. I'm glad she's back. I just hate the fact that this will lead to
    Glenn's death.

Delightfully Thomi likes this.
  6. blacklitchick

blacklitchick Black Girl Magic
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    This is how they made me. Houston, Texas baby.
    9/10

6B really has been amazing. Another steller episode. Maggie and Carol were SO good. I'm especially happy by Maggie getting time to shine in 6B. She's one of my favorites and the show is making a great case for
    her eventual leadership role at Hilltop.

I was also really impressed by Alicia Witt. I always thought she was just a decent actress, but she played her role here so well.

7. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I thought it was excellent. 9/10 with one point deducted for no Rick or Michonne. But it kept my attention and I loved the development of Carol and Maggie. Carol is clearly struggling now and is heading for a breakdown of some kind. She's clearly Kingdom bound. And Maggie!! Do NOT mess with the expectant mommy! I loved seeing this side of her and and so happy these two women were able to save themselves.

That death by inferno scene was killer.....more fire parallels with Carol. Hmmmm

Zadiee and SevenStars like this.
  8. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    7/10
    +Performances from LC and MMB were top notch.
    +Carol felt "real".
    +Maggie gave me shades of S2 Maggie.
    +That one convo where Carol confessed to the burden killing was having on her.

- It dragged at points.
    - Maggie and Carol never felt like they were in danger, and it wasn't confidence, it was the fact that the Saviors were straight booty.

9. HustleBunnee

HustleBunnee Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    8/10

Wonderful character development for Carol and Maggie. It was good seeing them be a focal point.
    I can see Carol reaching her breaking point and wonder what's going to happen next. Maggie, seems like she got a lot of Assassin Carol through osmosis.

IDK wha'ts going on with these Saviors, but they're kinda dumb.

Very good episode. Still jam-packed, so I can appreciate that.

Need more Richonne though.....And :carl2:. And :judy:

:trash:

10. Iguessiamhere

Iguessiamhere Survivor of Many Disasters
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    It drag for me, it shouldn't took a hour to understand that Carol doesn't want to kill anymore, that Maggie going concentrate on her family, and to fool the audience that Negan' threat is over. However, the Caryl hug and chin lift was nice. Also the saviors was incompetent, they needed to be more scary. I never doubted the outcome of Maggie and Carol killing and escaping. I gave it a five.

Shown, Lugubria and HustleBunnee like this.
  11. thesamurai

thesamurai The World Is Ours
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    9/10

Things I loved:
    Maggie and Carol focused episode.
    Ladies getting shit done hell ya
    The villians were women.
    More Carol and Maggie development.
    Melissa acted terrificly in this episode. I am always in awe of her acting abilites.
    The Caryl moment at the end and Carol finally saying no. she is not okay. T_T

Things I hated:
    The actress with the red hair. She sucked.
    The cheesy dialogue.
    It dragged in some places.

HustleBunnee, Shown and MamaGrimes like this.
  12. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    6/10

This episode was all filler BUT we have seen worse filler in this series, so it wasn't a complete a waste.

• The mannerisms and voice of Paula (Alicia Witt) annoyed me.
    • I am both intrigued and yet perplexed over what the writers are doing with Carol. She doesn't enjoy killing and I would be worried about her if she did but then again no one in Rick's group enjoys killing people...so what exactly is Morgan's argument in the first place? Plus being held captive isn't the best time to be weighed by your sudden change in conscience.
    • Oddly enough...I still don't care about Maggie.
    • How many life or death situations do Maggie and Glenn need to be in to realize that perhaps they should slow down on intentionally putting themselves into risky situations?
    • Dary's affection towards Carol is exactly what I would expect from him....because they're close friends. I don't know what the future looks like for Caryl but it isn't happening anytime soon. Carol is on the verge of an emotional breakdown and is probably going to leave Alexandria to save herself.

HustleBunnee and Shown like this.
  13. Nerdgasm

Nerdgasm Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 5. Simply because there was no reason to have a full episode to tell me stuff I already knew about Carol and about Maggie. I mean I like the characters enough, but they couldn't split this episode up with the others? Cuz the first 30 mins of the episode was a drag. And what didn't help was the terrible monologuing of the Saviorslite.
    I think the only good points is Carol and Maggie wiping the place out but like, that's not any different from any other episode where TF just obliterates ppl with their teamwork. So..?

HustleBunnee and tuswig like this.
  14. Stuff and Thangs

Stuff and Thangs Babysitting Judith
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I'll give it a 7. It was nice to have some focus on Maggie and Carol but it didn't feel like we got as much as we could out of the opportunity. It dragged at points with the Bizarro Carol and Maggie but I did love the other two chicks. They definitely beat us over the head with the foreshadowing but it was still quite enjoyable and it was great to see some focus on Maggie (without Glenn) and especially two wonderfully women together. This show is all about bromances but do nothing for womances.

15. Consigliere

Consigliere Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    O/ 10 It was whack I didn't like it all..

16. DCBABY

DCBABY Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    8/10
    No Richonne - minus 1
    Some drag on the story - minus 1

Glad to have badass Mags back. She was missed.
    Glad Carol showed some real vulnerability, but Morgan is screwing with her head. Kill or be killed, no time to think thangs over in the apocalypse Boo-Boo!!

Also, I felt sorry for Paula staying with her boss instead of going home. Was this a riff off of Michonne's comic book background?? Anywho, during 911 they told us to stay and I told them to fire me then and walked the hell out. Nothing is more important than your family!!

Stuff and Thangs likes this.
  17. Stuff and Thangs

Stuff and Thangs Babysitting Judith
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I Didn't Even Think About This!!!!!

18. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    6/10

Carol and Maggie were the only best part. And since this episode seemed to be designed to showcase them, I wish they would have done a better job. While I did enjoy seeing women Saviors outside of Negan's harem and the countless jabs they made about men (hey, if I had to sit through Shane's sexist anecdote, then you all can survive this), I wished they were made to be more frightening instead of inept and another attempt to stroke TF's ego. I am enjoying Carol's reluctance to kill and am excited to see where this goes.

19. Silas

Silas Beloved Side Piece
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm going to voice my extremely unpopular opinion but what the fudge did I just watch? I know they're passing this off as their girl power episode that people have claimed they're long over due for, but that hour was crafted for Carol. And I get that Carol is an important character but we're in final episodes, doesn't feel right to dedicate a poorly disguised bottle episode to one character, especially when it's not even the character that's about to get his head bashed in. The group took nothing away from it. The episode did drag too.

I'm sorry ya'll. I don't mean to hate on Carol at all, I'm interested to see where she's going next but this was piss poor timing in my opinion. Not only did it kill the momentum but it seemed like a waste of the precious time we have left. We didn't need epic monologues crafted specifically for Carol's character development...over and over again. When you just came off a season where your leading man was out of character, when you just shot out Carl's eye and have barely scratched the surface of the aftermath, when a member of the Atlanta Five is about to die, and NEGAN IS COMING...it ain't the time for this.

I'll say sorry again. I really am sorry. But the good news is that TWD always does this so it's not news. Things will pick back up.

And Maggie was badass. But I wish more of dialogue in this episode had been crafted for her character too. I'll put myself in time out.

20. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I completely agree. While I enjoyed this episode, it was definitely dedicated almost solely to Carol. Maggie did get some development in it, but mostly she just played damsel for Carol (aka gave Carol an incentive to keep fighting as hard as she did). Not to say Maggie wasn't a badass (she definitely was), but she was primarily a catalyst for Carol to have an internal conflict: defend this family member versus this new desire to refrain from taking human life.

I enjoyed the fact it was an episode that was driven primarily by female characters as well. That is so rare for this series, and I really hate to rag on any episode that decides to bend the status quo.

... but you're right. This is incredibly bad timing. We know Carol will be around next season, we know (in all likelihood) a character like Glenn will not. It doesn't look like he's getting one iota of attention in 6x14 either.

It seems misguided to give Carol an entire episode to herself (and Maggie partially) instead of giving Carol some steady development in an ensemble episode. Or at least parse out this episode to more characters. Heck, plenty of development went around in the last episode and it was an ensemble cast ep. "The Next World" felt sort of bottle episode-esque and it featured way more characters (Rick, Michonne, Daryl, Jesus, Carl, Enid, and Spencer).

6x13 being smack dab in the middle of 6B to focus solely on two characters? Who we know will have a long stay? Just... kind of bothers me. In so many ways.

Again, I hate saying that since this was a great episode for Carol, and I've been waiting so fucking long for her to finally tell someone she's not okay, but it could've been done without the entire 45 minute window. We now know more about Paula than we do about Rosita. It's a fucking shame.

I don't hold this against Carol at all though. This is all on Gimple's ass.

michrick, Silas, rlsatk and 3 others like this.