1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Rate & Review 6x13 "The Same Boat"

Discussion in '6x13: The Same Boat' started by Doctor Grimes, Mar 13, 2016.

?

What did you think of "The Same Boat"?

1. 1

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. 4

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. 5

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  6. 6

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  7. 7

16 vote(s)
    28.1%
  8. 8

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  9. 9

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  10. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Joan Holloway

Joan Holloway Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    I don't hate this episode, but I hate that the pressed pause on the plot just to give carol another episode dedicated to her. Like @Silas said, there's way too much stuff they could cover and so many characters are getting shafted. This could have been an opportunity to add more to maggie's character development for the hilltop, but its gimple so who the hell am I kidding. :eyefuck:

Silas, Bazooka Jane and tuswig like this.
  2. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Thank you.

Silas likes this.
  3. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:

I agree with this for the same reason that while I loved Morgan's bottle episode because I loved Morgan and I always want to know more about him, it wasn't needed.

Just like the Morgan bottle episode , the writers could have shown me Morgan's journey without giving him a whole 90 minute of episode to himself when there are so many characters in need of development. They could have giving me segment of that journey, while showing the development of other characters.

They could have and should have done this for this Carol episode. It wasn't needed because Carol's character development could have been included in 6x10 and onward, divided in segments of the writers really wanted to reinforce that idea, like they did on this episode.

This is why, while I loved Morgan's episode, I understood why people hated it.

4. Lyra_Nation

Lyra_Nation Young, scrappy, and hungry
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 9. I would've given it a 10 but there was a bit~ too much talking.

5. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I gave it a 8 would have given it a 10 but it was slow in places.

6. Appetence

Appetence Eternally failing at productivity bc TITTD
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Good, but it definitely felt like filler to me. MMB was fantastic as usual, but there was a lot of wasted dialog given to the saviors. I think the point of the red head and the chick Maggie was talking to telling us their stories was supposed to make us feel for them? I guess? It was ineffective in my opinion.

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  7. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts of Atlanta hunting down 712 footage
    Custom Banner
    I gave it a 6. Ditto what @Silas said.

Silas and tuswig like this.
  8. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Episode was the yearly Emmy fodder episode for carol so MMB can get a nomination. Episode was okay but I didn't feel the girls were in danger so it fell flat for me. But it was nice to see a different side to both carol and maggie.

Silas, tuswig, Iguessiamhere and 3 others like this.
  9. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    It was a women centered episode so that was a plus.
    On the other hand it killed whatever momentum season 6B had going for it so far. Also why was it important for me to know these random Saviors back stories when I don't even know the back stories of some members of TF.

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  10. ThatGrimesGirl

ThatGrimesGirl Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 5 and that was being generous. I get that they want us to know that Carol is conflicted, but we already figured that out in the previous episode when she was counting her kills. We didn't need a bottle episode for that. Maggie told Glenn at the end that she couldn't anymore, so I take it she will start taking her and the baby's safety into consideration more. Still didn't need an entire episode for that, 15 min to 30 min tops and give us some updates with Grimes 2.0. Carl loss an eye, his Dad and Michonne are now an item, and we get no Michonne next episode either. Maybe I am not seeing the master plan because I thought this episode was unnecessary. Maybe it will make sense in the finale. I hope so.

11. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That fact Carl losing his eye has been given less screen time and dialogue than Daryl's losing his bike says it all.

12. cgomes

cgomes Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Well, I gave it a 7/8 because some dialogues where kind of boring... Too much talking.

I also missed the others, especially Rick and Michonne, an episode without them will never be to same...

The problem with episodes like that is that I wish we could have a chance to see/know more about everybody else and not always the same ones.

Anyway. At least, it wasn't another "oh, superhero Carol who does everything right saves the day again because she's the best."... The Carol I'm watching now seems more realistic, in my opinion.

But, she is not in the best state of mind right now, she's finally showing she's not ok with everything she's done and faced, I don't know where they are going with her, but I hope she can find some heal and make peace with herself. She does really need that to keep going in this world.

Yes to badass Maggie, I wish we had seen even more of her, but, at least, she's finally getting some screen time, that's all she needed to show how tough she is. I like Maggie.

Oh, and the 'newAndrea" was so annoying, thank God she's gone.

zahira likes this.
  13. Lyra_Nation

Lyra_Nation Young, scrappy, and hungry
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I'm gonna tweet this. Because this is so...:shane:

14. zahira

zahira Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    i couldn't say better

cgomes likes this.
  15. michonne

michonne Protecting Glenn Rhee
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    The only things I truly hated about this episode was that there was no Michonne and the "We are all Negan." line. God. My eyes rolled so far into my head.

Other than that I loved it. Finally a woman centric episode.

Jerusha Crystian likes this.
  16. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    The more I think about it the more I kind of dislike this episode. Carol's been conflicted about killing since the events of "The Grove", so spending about 45 minutes exploring that was a waste of time especially this late in the season. I am not against Carol getting screentime, I just think that the episode could've easily been split between Carol/Maggie and the group looking for them (perhaps maybe seeing someone question if the attack was really the right call to make, screentime for Glenn)

Exactly what was the point of giving the Saviors development only for them to all be killed off by the end of the episode? Atleast one should have survived and made it back to the main compound.

I am for an all woman episode but not at the expense of bringing the plot to a screeching halt. Plus I know the women in TF are badasses, I would actually prefer an episode closer to the quarry scene in season 1, just the women sort of being relaxed and friendly with each other, girl talk type stuff...real bonding.

I will say that this episode should have been one for Maggie to shine but she was overshadowed by Carol's morality struggle. Based on what I have seen on social media, I had to put the question out there "Wait a minute do people even realize that Carol did NOT want to kill...she wasn't that badass in this episode....Maggie was." But of course, no matter what she does Queen Carol reigns supreme.

Bazooka Jane, rlsatk and Consigliere like this.
  17. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This is my take and seems to be the consensus in some respects. No one is upset about the content of the episode, but so much of it being used to develop disposable Saviors when there are characters in our main cast we've hardly seen all season seems so misguided.

This episode should've been split into two parts: Carol, Maggie, & the Saviors || Rick, Glenn, and Daryl trying to find them (it didn't even have to be the whole group -- maybe even had a one-off line about sending Michonne, Abe, Sasha, and co. back to Alexandria or even getting situated at another point in case shit went south).

As you said, it could've given us more dimension into the episode: how were the others reacting to the raid? Was there regret? It didn't even have to be a bunch of scenes, just a couple. It could've given us some much needed Glenn time.

... but I know the goal of this episode was to get some sort of feminist brownie points so it had to be a female-charged episode almost in total. While I appreciate the show doing that, I wish they could just balance women with the men more often than just shoving it all into one window and going, "Hell yeah, see we're progressive."

18. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Even more, if this was an episode that was supposed to be some sort of feminist commentary / female-lead adventure, why just focus on two of the women in the group? It could've shown Michonne, Sasha, and Rosita doing something outside of the kidnapping plot. (Or maybe they're too much like the guys to count.)

ETA: It just hit me: Michonne, Sasha, and Rosita are the WOC on the show. Okay it all makes sense now.

19. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts of Atlanta hunting down 712 footage
    Custom Banner
    No because this wasn't a feminist episode that was a bonus. This was a Carol emmy reel episode, Maggie got to co-star.

20. gwimmy

gwimmy Walker Bait

Walker Pets:
    Gave it an 8. I expect a bottle episode every season or so and I understand that they're necessary due to the shooting schedule and budget so I grade it no that curve. It was a lot better than other bottle episodes and, for me, it didn't kill the momentum because it at least addressed the overarching storyline. That's better than some bottle episodes have done.

I do roll my eyes at how ham-fisted the show is about their "literary" parallels. One Savior went off with Maggie to mirror Maggie's story line and a couple of Saviors stayed with Carol to mirror her story line. One Savior was a woman beater, etc. Gimple ain't subtle.

michonne and Doctor Grimes like this.