1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Rate & Review 6x13 "The Same Boat"

Discussion in '6x13: The Same Boat' started by Doctor Grimes, Mar 13, 2016.

?

What did you think of "The Same Boat"?

1. 1

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. 4

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  5. 5

12 vote(s)
    21.1%
  6. 6

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  7. 7

16 vote(s)
    28.1%
  8. 8

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  9. 9

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  10. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    :lol: It's true though. I appreciate it since MMB is always a pleasure to watch, but the show could've used some of that time elsewhere.

But I keep seeing the media talk about how feminist it was when the episode clearly didn't show their three women of color or two lesbian female characters. Just the two straight white women on the roster.

It's more of a media quibble than an episode quibble.

2. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    6/10
    We didn't learn anything new other than the "We're all Negan" thing. It was good seeing Maggie come to the realization that she can't keep putting herself in danger and a pleasant change seeing her put in the forefront as far as action goes. Carol voicing out loud that she's not okay was good but yeah other than that nothing really happened.

ThinkingOutLoud likes this.
  3. thesamurai

thesamurai The World Is Ours
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Didn't Danai have to do something for her play around the filming of 6x13 & 6x14? She must have been busy since she wasn't even seen for the last shot in 6x13 when everyone reunited, and imo Michonne would have been seen if Danai was there.

A part of me feels like this bottle episode was created just so the writers could work around her schedule.

MamaGrimes likes this.
  4. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    She was busy during the filming of 6x14. I'm not so sure about 6x13. I think it was more like they had 6x13 planned already, Danai then was going to be unavailable for 6x14, so they just wrote her out of that one too.

I think "DG has successful plays!!11" should be the free space on the TWD Writers Excuse Bingo.

5. thesamurai

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    How is it an excuse? If she can't be available for shooting, they have no choice but to not show her? Unless you're talking about something else?

ETA: Oops I read she was absent for 6x13, and not 6x14. My mistake, sorry.

MamaGrimes likes this.
  6. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I just mean if they wanted her in an episode badly enough they could work around her schedule. Fact is, they didn't need or want DG for 613-614.

7. zahira

zahira Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    hope we will see her in episode 14 :flirt:

8. deadaddict

deadaddict Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    zahira likes this.
  9. Armte

Armte I Drink and I Know Things
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts of Atlanta hunting down 712 footage
    Custom Banner
    I sent an ask to TSDF tumblr inbox. Hopefully we will get a response early. My hopes are quite low. :sadrick:

zahira likes this.
  10. thesamurai

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Sorry, I have to kindly disagree with you there. Sometimes these things can't be helped, I believe.

And if you are right, I'm not too upset about it. I don't need Michonne to be seen in every single episode (there's a part of me that gets sad about it, but mostly I'm okay with it). This is an ensemble cast after all (there's too many characters, actually) and I don't mind other character getting screen time too (but I do agree that Carol still gets more screen time and development compared to other female characters, and that's bs but that's a topic for another day).

Aurostorm and MamaGrimes like this.
  11. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm not that chapped about Michonne being sidelined either since 1) she'll most likely survive this season and 2) DG was most likely busy with her play.

That said, I am still planning an angry meta about how this show has treated Glenn this season.

12. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    DG might have been too busy to be in this episode but other characters who needed development weren't or screen time for their arc this season weren't . So there was no need for this bottle episode. It wasn't necessary.

13. thesamurai

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Since she's (most likely) surviving this season, I'm mostly fine with not seeing her as much as I'm used to.

But since I'm not seeing her as much, I expected to be seeing Glenn more,
    (since he's gonna die this season tbh), but I'm not, and that makes me pissed,
    so I'm very much looking forward to your meta, Doc.

14. Silas

Silas Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Well shit, I didn't expect people to agree with me last night. And for the record, I'm with ya @Doctor Grimes I won't hold this against Carol either. I try not to do that, seeing as how it isn't the characters writing the episodes. It also probably helps that Carol is one of my favorites.

And I agree with whoever said Gimple was Emmy fishing. It's sad really because I don't think TWD will ever get nominated outside of special effects and things like that. Not because the cast lacks the talent but because Gimple's inconsistent writing doesn't hold up compared to a lot of shows and that really pains me to say because I love this stupid ass show. He could at least try to bait the Emmys with different faces - Andrew Lincoln and DG come to mind. But it's always Carol that he gives this material to. Anyway, until Gimple gets his ego stroked by critic acclaim or until he gives up the dream, I think we'll continue to see this pattern.

15. rlsatk

rlsatk Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    Gave it a 5. The dialogue was heavy handed. We've been seeing Carol struggle with killing since the Grove, we saw her struggling in Consumed, then at the end JSS, in NYT, like most have already said, there was no need for Carol centric bottle episode to just repeat what we've already seen. Maggie was great but in the end she was there to serve Carol's s/l. Also, annual (futile) Emmy bait.

Also freddie (KU), paula, chelle clearly mirror abe, carol and maggie's s/ls or arcs, yet david was not about michonne?

Armte, Bazooka Jane and Doctor Grimes like this.
  16. Triponsynth

Triponsynth Watchtower Sniper
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I give the episode a 6. I was happy to see Maggie getting things to do, but I wasn't really feeling the dialogue and didn't appreciate that I got more backstory for Paula than I have for Rosita and Sasha. I couldn't care less about the parallels between Paula and Carol or Maggie and Michelle. I'm glad that we got a look into Carol's psyche but this could have been resolved in 15 minutes.

I jusrt hope that Carol's new mindset isn't presented in a way that shows that she is right and that team family (well Rick) is wrong. I don't mind Carol but she does have a tendency to be condescending and patronizing when she doesn't agree with people and I don't need to see Rick on the other side of that or deal with the fandom placing her against Rick (or Michonne, Morgan, etc although I doubt the show would ever put her and Daryl at odds...).

Aurostorm, Armte, tuswig and 4 others like this.
  17. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    The funny thing is. I remember most of saying this in 5A as well. Looks like nothing has changed.

tuswig likes this.
  18. Chaos

Chaos Richonne 2KForever
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Okay, I'm going to try to not be Team Too Much with this post. No promises though.

Um, I gave it a 5.

Personally, I'm just tired of Carol. I am. I just, this isn't hate or anything... I'm pretty neutral on Carol.... But I'm just tired of her. And I don't know if it's the fandom, or the writers, but I'm just tired. Like...the constant propping of her character while others fall back into the background as if they're not as important or even more important... I just..I'm tired.

People are labeling this a feminist episode but this was pretty much JSS all over again. Carol got the majority of dialogue and character development, and Maggie was her prop. I can't dude... I can't. Maggie did the majority of killing, yet folks are only talking about Carol and her emotions. That's fine, but at the end of the day the writers knew what they were doing. They knew people would more or less talk about Carol than Maggie. And they were right.

I love MMB I really do, and she is a great actress, however, so is the rest of the lady cast and if each and everyone of them got the same material, this show would increase in quality tenfold!

My cousin and I actually discussed this last night after the episode aired and she pretty much stated that this episode wasn't needed and that Carol has gotten too much focus. And I agree with her. When Carol is absent she's absent. We know this. But when she is present she pretty much gets bottle episodes.

This episode was again the Carol Show. I'm sorry but it was. Other characters are in desperate need of development yet we get more and more Carol. And it looks like she's prominent in 14 also...

I hope I wasn't too much in this post, but these are my thoughts.

19. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I wish someone would write an article about the truth you just spoke. The more I think about the episode the more it becomes a fail in my eyes.

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  20. thesamurai

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That may be true, but now that's she the love interest for the main lead, she automatically gets more screen time by default, but how that screen time is used? We'll have to wait and see when the next season comes.