1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Rate & Review 6x16 "Last Day on Earth"

Discussion in '6x16: Last Day on Earth' started by Doctor Grimes, Apr 3, 2016.

?

Please rate 6x16

1. 1

8 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. 2

8 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. 3

11 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. 4

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. 5

15 vote(s)
    19.7%
  6. 6

8 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. 7

6 vote(s)
    7.9%
  8. 8

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  9. 9

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  10. 10

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. DanNintendoMan

DanNintendoMan The ship's cook

Walker Pets:
  2. Empress

Empress Permanently mourning Glenn Rhee
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Plus side, it’s definitely NOT Michonne. I was never worried, and I’m like negative worried now, I’m so confident the Goddess lives.
    Also, Andy was on a damn roll. I felt it when Rick was holding Michonne’s locs, and the anger on his face when he went to slice up that walker. I felt his fear, and every time they ran into a Negan road block you could see the arrogance drain from his body bit by bit, and the hopelessness setting in. Rick's care for Maggie was touching, as were the scenes between Sasha and Abe. The interpersonal aspect was very well done, and having avoided spoilers to a degree other than it being a cliffhanger, I really enjoyed this episode. Of course, until the end.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Down side, I’m so afraid it’s gonna be Abe now, with the whole “Just so you know” to Sasha, and “You’re a survivor, you always were, we just didn’t know it. You and me both.” To Eugene, like he’s making peace with the people he cares about the most. I know he did Rosita wrong, I know why he did it too, but either way Abe and Eugene’s dynamic is second only to Rick and Michonne IMO, and this episode made me so emotional for them. I don’t want Abe to die, it would be less painful than Glenn, but it shouldn’t be either of them. They have stories to tell, that’s what’s so upsetting. They have untapped potential, and the parts of them we have seen can be built upon, and expanded, they’re interesting and can go interesting places.

Certain characters
    who I shall not name… CAROL... who are literally begging to die, while other characters entire personal arcs are being thrown in the trash to fit said characters narrative, have had enough time, enough focus, and enough chances to be more compelling than they currently are. Watching Rick and Morgan changing with the tides to fit her narrative is gag worthy, and I'm wondering when and if it'll ever end? One pandering Daryl was bad enough, I can't deal with two, and if one of them doesn't go soon, I'm either gonna have to fast forward through all their scenes or give myself a lobotomy. They need to trim the fat. Not only are these characters unnecessary to the plot, they’re also fan favorites, and killing them off would move the story forward with time now allotted to neglected interesting characters, AND they open the door to being respected a la GOT for proving you can have a successful TV show without holding onto dead weight just because people will ‘riot’ otherwise.
    But yeah, that ending
    [​IMG]

#62 Empress, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  3. saga

saga Watchtower Sniper
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Oh, I left out: I cried, just burst out in ugly sobs, when Glenn saw Maggie. Mr. Yeun is like breaking my heart regularly on this show.

And I really was concerned that Negan would never live up to the expectations of him that the comics set. But JDM was Negan. He totally inhabited the part, every bit as much as AL inhabits Rick Grimes. Like seriously. Even without the "fucks."

ClassicWoman likes this.
  4. Freyja

Freyja Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:
    I was on the edge of my seat during this whole damn thing even though I had a gist of what was gonna go down. I had so much bad stress and anxiety over this that I think I may have a few gray hairs rn lol

I really enjoyed this episode (I'm obv in the minority here lol). The psychological warfare The Saviors used was honestly on another level. Blocking off all their entrances and exits one road at a time, coming in closer and closer each time and slowly boxing them in like rats in a cage. They wanted to make it clear that no matter what you do, there is no escape. They were waiting for them to either run out of gas or for them to give up on driving and set out on foot into the woods. Either way, they would've been ready to swoop them up. Their plan was to demoralize, intimidate and unnerve them and it worked. I loved that you could totally feel the shift in the moods of TF as time went on, especially Rick's. He started off arrogant and overconfident and even as shit was starting to go south he was still trying to hold it together for his team. But after he found Michonne's stuff on that walker, it was a downward spiral from there and by the end he was a nervous and terrified wreck. Andy portrays his character's emotions so perfectly, it's almost like he's really living in this world. He did such a great job (as always) and yes, where is his Emmy?! :eyefuck:

Seeing Rick look so vulnerable and in shambles not only broke my heart but also frightened the hell out of me. Rick is the leader and he's usually the one who has some sort of plan/tactic for when his group is in trouble and almost always seems to not be afraid of anything. Everyone was looking at him for re-assurance but he couldn't do shit about the situation and that (as Negan said) was a tough pill to swallow. I don't think we've seen Rick this shook since S1EP1 when he came out of that coma and saw that the world had gone to shit and his fam was gone....

Now as for Carol & Morgan, even though these two are my least favourite characters atm, I didn't really mind their scenes. I'd rather they set up the journey to the Kingdom now rather than later. I want the first ep of S7 to be about the aftermath of Negan and TF grieving over whoever gets the bat (while planning on how to take revenge) along with going straight into the Kingdom business. No more ass scratching, no more twiddling of thumbs. I want to see moves being made and actions being took asap dammit! :bang:

As for the cliffhanger, I couldn't care less about it tbh. I'm only upset that I won't be able to see Rick the show again until Oct. The only way I'll be sad about who gets the bat is if it's Michonne/Carl (Which I hardly see happening anyway. Rick would become so unhinged and insane that he may not ever be able to recover again). I still believe it's Glenn or Daryl but I ain't thinking about or debating who it'll be anymore because

[​IMG]

DirtieBirdie and saga like this.
  5. saga

saga Watchtower Sniper
    Patron

Walker Pets:

Every Word Of This Post. Every Word. And The GIF, Too.

(Oh, wait. I don't think it's Glenn or Daryl. But I'm tired, too. So .... [​IMG]

#65 saga, Apr 4, 2016
    Freyja and DirtieBirdie like this.
  6. TakemetoRick

TakemetoRick Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I didn't love the finale for many reasons. I think the cliffhanger ending was a terrible idea and I'm so over the hype and intentional misdirection regarding Lucille. I think the only reason they did that was to make it seem like they weren't following the GN (i.e., Glenn getting Lucilled) when I am still about 99% certain that is what we will find out happened. The Carol/Morgan stuff didn't even really phase me, it was predictably bland. AL did great with the material he was given, and JDM was good, also. If they ultimately fake us out and kill off Abe, Rosita, Sasha, Eugene or Aaron, I'm going to be pissed.

7. DirtieBirdie

DirtieBirdie Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Yes, every word of this post. I have a love/hate relationship with the ep, and the love is 100% because of Andy. Damn, his breakdown scared the shit out of me. If I were a member of TF, there's no doubt that I would have had a pee party in my pants. Seeing our fearless leader look as terrified as I've ever seen him knocked me down to my knees. I'm so scared for my poor Rick. Although, damn, Michonne is made of steel. The strength of that woman...she's going to keep Rick from absolutely crumbling.

Freyja and saga like this.
  8. LunaFall

LunaFall Nabila went all Hershel on us
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The best things for me were:
    Seeing Carl (my little boss of AwesomeSauce) and Aaron (the cupcake/snuggle muffin)
    Abe's moment with Sasha (I didn't particularly care for the baby talk so soon, but knowing that he sees that kind of future with Sasha was nice)
    Abe's moment with Eugene
    Gabe the Babe being a complete boss
    AL's facial expressions and emotions throughout the episode. I really enjoyed Rick's slow descent into full on fear. to see him be made to kneel was heartbreaking.
    JDM killed it as Negan, he was made for that role. Even though I heard the audio beforehand, I did still feel the dread when I saw the scene... he was perfect. I kinda hope he doesn't shave the beard.
    :michonneeye: Michonne staring Negan down was the best... "Give 'em hell" - Deanna Monroe, 2015. Give 'em hell, she will.

I was okay with the Carol and Morgan stuff... just okay.

I also didn't quite mind the constant blocking off: the Saviors are large in number and organized. It gave them a chance to learn about what they ere dealing with when it came to Rick's group, as well as showing Rick's group what they were about. They learned Rick was the leader, they learned that of Daryl and Michonne, whom he holds particularly dear, among other things.

What I didn't like:
    The ambling - this was virtually 90 minutes of nothing... to have an episode be this long with almost nothing happening is criminal. The story would have been better served if they had an A/B/C plot - Like I said before, I didn't mind the Carol/Morgan stuff too much, but the writers could have at least checked in with the Savior's captives a couple of times during the episode. Check in with everybody... balance amongst the cast, its not that hard.

I also didn't like the constant blocking off, in that some of the stuff the Saviors did was just extra... like how did they have time to set up those logs?

That "cliffhanger"..... :| :carl2: :judy: :sasha: :rosita: .... fuck that cliffhanger. Why hype it up so much if it's not going to pay off? I'm glad they're catching heat for that. Since I'm a spoiler addict (curse my curious, need to know mind)... I know I'll find out soon enough who died.

Overall.... I give the episode.... a tentative 6. There weren't many negatives, but they weighed heavily against this episode.

#68 LunaFall, Apr 4, 2016
  9. CandyAviator

CandyAviator Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    Ok, I'm not sure If I can completely convey what I feel about Episode 6x16 But I will Try

This is the first time since I started watching this show in season 2
    that I felt absolutely.......nothing for any of the characters.
    Sadly the Spin, Spin & watch me Spin again ride in the RV sums up the whole hour and a half of this TWD season 6 finale.
    one word Aimless.
    I am not saying that at some points in this episode I didn't understand what the Writers and Actors were trying to convey ...I did. But I never Felt any of it
    My list of Striking the Match but never catching flame moments.

1. Carl and Enid:
    I got that the writers wanted the scene to show that young Carl Grimes is spoiling for a fight. That he is sitting on rage that has been simmering since the "cowardly man child shot his eye out" and that simmer turned into a spark when the saviors killed Denise. I totally got that the writers wanted viewers to feel the weight of Enid realizing that for Carl getting in the RV was less about Maggie and more about his rage/anger/numbness(Surprisingly, I must admit that I almost felt that from Enid...Almost) but even that fell flat. I knew what they were doing, but I didn't feel what they were doing.
    2. Rick and Maggie: Watching Rick comforting Maggie in the RV as she lay sweaty and weak from ailment and fear should have moved me....should have made me say, AHHHH---oh no---poor Maggie." I should have been saying, "Wow look at how sweet and caring Rick is when it comes to his people;" especially his main Survivor crew. But there were no , ---'Ahs or ooohs". There were no "Oh, how sweet" sighs or gasps from me. Only after watching the scene did it hit me; I knew I was supposed to feel something. I wanted to feel that thing, (like at a Vegas magic show where you want to be amazed even when you know how the trick is done). I wanted those few moments to mean more. I wanted those moments to remind me of Hershel and Beth and the fact that Maggie is all that's left of that family. But I could only ask myself "why didn't I feel those things?" Because I wanted to more than see what the actors were going through, I wanted to connect with what I was seeing Maggie, Rick and their fellow riders going through.
    I guess to sum this scene up I could say that, I didn't believe the Urgency the writers wanted us to feel.
    3. The team surrounded at every turn on the road: You know what; even though I know Rick's family and crew are "Warriors" I realized that I wasn't waiting for the fight in any of these Turn around &Turn around again scenes...
    No, I was waiting for the emotion. The thing that would move me to concern, move me to fear, move me to smile or even the thought that.... Oh my goodness "this might make me cry".
    Not even when the group was standing in front of a chained wall of walkers wearing the clothing and hair of people that are key players to the show. People who the very idea of them in peril should move Rick and Carl at least to shake with indignation. People like Michonne & Daryl that this crew is supposed to love, that viewers love. To me none of that was conveyed.
    And when that emotion never came I thought ok, I'll settle for the fight, some action, even an attempt by the 'never give up Rick Grimes crew' to remind themselves and viewer of who they are.
    Not even that did we get.
    4. Kneel at Negan's feet: Sure the Negan speech was interesting in its calm delivery.. But even then I saw very little real emotion from our core crew (except for Glen.. I must give him credit. Maggie was the first thing he saw.. yes it felt forced but at least it was there)

So basically I felt like I was watching 7 people in a room with six doors trying knob after knob only to run into a chain linked fence, pile of sticks or a brick wall.. but never once stopping in the middle of that room to think, which door leads to the smaller obstacle/foe that they can defeat in order to get closer to their destination.
    It felt like we were watching people with no Post Apocalypse experience.
    Every attempt at connecting me as a viewer with the emotions of the characters had a big red stamp across it that says ("Mission Aborted")
    Each emotion was either aborted or abandoned before I could connect with it for the most part of this finale..​

Michonne struck the only believable cord of emotion of the whole Episode.
    In the few seconds that Michonne was on screen, without ever saying a word I Believed the promise in her stare. I heard it as if she spoke it----"If I live through this I'll never stop thinking of ways to find you. I'll never stop trying to find you and if I get the chance first I will kill you."
    So kudos to Danai Gurira who took mere seconds and turned them into the saving grace of the whole episode.

I know I was long but I wanted to find a way to adequately express my Disappointment without verbally shredding the actors and the writers just for the sake of venting.

#69 CandyAviator, Apr 4, 2016
  10. DirtieBirdie

DirtieBirdie Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I agree with your assessment of Danai and the look of vengeful promise in her eyes. I disagree about the others, though. I think Andy conveyed the terror he felt brilliantly. Rick didn't have the luxury of feeling cocky revenge for Neegan,because he knows it was his arrogance that got them into this mess. He was devastated not only by the situation hey we're in, but because he led them there. Rick is one of the more emotional character to begin with and here you can just see him crumble. Oh the guilt he must feel.

LaToya78 and tuswig like this.
  11. zahira

zahira Ricktator
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    i see that too :lol:

Truthfully it's love likes this.
  12. CandyAviator

Walker Pets:
    I guess I can see why you would feel that way about Rick and you may be right. Maybe that's what the writers were trying to convey; but for me it fell flat.
    That could be because of my perception of the whole Saviors thing.
    You see I've never looked at it from the view point of Rick and his crew starting the turmoil with the saviors
    I guess for me I think of the starting point as the first time the Saviors tried to jack Daryl , Sasha and Abe on that road.
    And Daryl blew them to bits.
    That time that Dwight and his 2 lady runaway crew tied Daryl up and he still helped them only to be double crossed again.
    And while the Grimes crew was at the Hilltop bargaining for food and med supplies the Saviors sent an Attempted Murder Message which kind of forced the Grimes crew to protect Gregory.....
    Was Rick and his crew over confident in their attack and rescue at the Negan compound? Yes ..maybe they were, but I don't believe that sheer arrogance was the motivation. ASZ need for food was at critical and Rick and all of his people knew that. So, if getting Gregory to give them the food they needed required the Grimes crew to mount a rescue for the Hilltop guy who was being held hostage and kill the bad guy who was taking advantage of weaker people then that's what they felt they needed to do..

Should the Grimes crew have demanded more detail from the Hilltop regarding Negan? Indeed they should have.
    But did the Hilltop people really have all the details?

That is the way I'm looking at it so I guess where the balance of guilt and blame should be placed is different to me.
    This scenario sums it up perfectly for me : It's the (a person attempts to kill you and you fight for your life and win but the killer partner is angry because you didn't just allow yourself to be murdered) scenario.
    In fact Negan says as much in his little speech, ( "When I send my people to kill your people you kill more of my people") something like that.

Lol don't laugh at how seriously I analyze TWD
    The comic books made me do it.

#72 CandyAviator, Apr 4, 2016
    Jenna Alaki likes this.
  13. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Changed my vote to 4. It's amazing what a lil sleep will do for you. Had it not been a finale it was an easy 6... but the cliffhanger still sucked the air out of it. As well as the Corgan nonsense in the middle of tense moments. So I mean... 2 points for Andy, 1 for Negan, and 1 for the amazing acting of everyone else.

14. Truthfully it's love

Truthfully it's love Life's candy and the sun's a ball of butter
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It was not this part, it was during the first time he walked by her

15. CandyAviator

Walker Pets:

Everything you said here is Bona-Fide word. I thought I was alone on the lack of emotional connective ability in this episode.
    As I aid in the review section I wasn't too concerned with wanting to see a fight between the Grimes Crew & the Saviors. No-- I was waiting, expecting, to feel something Especially from our core group. So even if not one bullet was fired I simply wanted to feel the urgency of Rick and his RV crew.
    Sadly, like you said It just all seem to fall flat.

For me Michonnne's murderous stare was the most believable, emotional part of this strange Finale.
    The death she promised Negan with her eyes was everything. Defiant even on her knees in the face of death.

16. CandyAviator

Walker Pets:
    You put a smile on this episode with that one.....The wig really bothers you it seems.
    The first time I mentioned the WIG my bf said " girl there aren't any Braid & Twist shops during a Zombie Apocalypse"
    I laughed...but I'm not going to lie I secretly thought about my Fro. LOL

Bazooka Jane likes this.
  17. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    After I watched last night I was ready to give this episode no more than a 3, but now I'm can't. Because the more I think about Rick's arc and it's place in this episode, the more I think about Carl and Michonne's defiant stared down in the line-up. The less I think it was bad a episode.

I think it was a badly marketed episode. I think the cliffhanger shouldn't have been done or done differently. But I can't put it on my list of the worst episode because I don't actually think it was.

But I actually can't give it a fair rating right now, so I'm going give a rate later.

18. ClassicWoman

ClassicWoman Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I agree had this NOT been a finale episode, it would have rated muuccchhh higher for me maybe even an 8-9 cause I thought the build up was quite good. Remove the Carol scenes and you have a stellar episode. If they wanted to keep the Carol shit the least they could have done was up the ante with Negan DESTROYING TF with multiple deaths, now that would have been a 10 finale episode.

19. JBody

JBody Survivor of Many Disasters
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    1/10 for this turd --as lovingly buffed as it was, before and after broadcast.... It must mean something when the most tear jerking moment for me was the good bye between Abraham and Eugene. Abraham and Eugene?! Still shaking my head on that one. But it was a very poignant scene and well played.

Our fearless CDB crew getting off the RV with Mags on a stretcher and hot-footing it down the road reminded me of that Honest Trailers segment where they show the silent montage of all the scenes over the years where characters are just walking and walking and walking some more: on railroad tracks, city streets, over meadows and fields and through countless woods -- we are the WALKING dead all right. When I start viewing this show as a (black) comedy then it's goodnight Irene.

Hearing Gimple and Kirkman working overtime to justify the season-ender is rather amusing, though. My non-spoiled GA rep DH turned to me at the fade-to-black and said: "They're gonna make us wait to find out?!... They may have just lost a viewer. Harrrumph." I wonder how many other people out there thought that. I am sure we'll go down with the ship, as we've invested 6 years in this dross, but it does make me a bit sad when I ponder the wasted opportunities over the years. This non-finale finale is just the latest example but it's a pretty damned big one, considering it's the GN's most memorable villain. Just wow.

Richonne will keep me going but as for the rest... it's really veering quite close to farcical territory now. Occasionally I try to pinpoint when that happened. Could be the Grady arc, not really sure.

20. Chaos

Chaos Michonne licks Rick clean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Okay. I've collected myself and.....honestly....I'm not even bitter about it. I legit believe my self advice worked. I expected nothing, and therefore, wasn't let down.

I voted 4.

I give a point for every saving grace in this episode.

One was for Carl/Chandler finally getting something to do. He was able to play with the big dogs and I'm happy for him. He did a stellar job. He's really improved and can definitely get better as long as the writers treat him well and actually give him material.

Another was for Andrew motherfucking Lincoln. He literally killed it. Shame he won't ever get any recognition due to the piss poor writing and directorial choices. He deserves an Emmy and I hope the show steps it up so that he can get it.

Another one for JDM. Great job as Negan. They actually did something right when they cast him. Lord knows they fail at it at times *cough AB cough*. He plays this part well and I'm excited to see more of him. He may just become my new favorite villain. Plus he's not hard to look at, so there's that.

Last but not motherfucking least Queen Danai gave it to me with those facial expressions, MY GOD!!! Literally had like five minutes of screentime but made that little bit of time worth it. She's amazing. I hope the writers made that decision to foreshadow Michonne being the one to call the shots and be heavily involved in the Negan situation, I really do. They'd be stupid not to. But I'm so used to being disappointed in that realm so I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't go that route. But Danai is so fucking talented dear lord, they really got a prize when they cast her.

Carol and Morgan...........................
    The instant Maggie/endangered unborn child storyline...................
    The useless driving around....................

I won't speak on that. I like my sanity.

hewontgo likes this.