1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Rate & Review 6x16 "Last Day on Earth"

Discussion in '6x16: Last Day on Earth' started by Doctor Grimes, Apr 3, 2016.

?

Please rate 6x16

1. 1

8 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. 2

8 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. 3

11 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. 4

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. 5

15 vote(s)
    19.7%
  6. 6

8 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. 7

6 vote(s)
    7.9%
  8. 8

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  9. 9

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  10. 10

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    I have calmed down a bit but I am still not sure how I feel about supporting a show that continuously play its audience for fools and takes for granted our viewership, then later being lectured by CH about how we're being blessed with great storytelling...yeah OK, keep cashing those AMC checks Hardwick. This show has been getting progressively bad for quite some time, the Glenn fakeout was the tipping point for me and the cliffhanger pushed me over the edge. The only way to make this right is for Daryl to be the Lucille victim because from a logical storyteling perspective, Daryl makes the most sense.I am still attached to some of the remaining characters so I think I will always make it around to watching TWD but watching it live week to week??? Not so sure.

I will choose to focus on what I did like about the finale 1) AL! When needed he always delivers pure, raw emotional performances and he did not disappoint last night. To see him unravel throughout the episode was both amazing and heartbreaking to watch. I have only seen Rick look helpless one other time this season and that was in 6A when the RV stalled while being surrounded by a herd of walkers and even then nothing can really compare to the despair that we've seen on Rick's face last night. 2) I really enjoyed the moments in the finale that reminded us that Rick and his group are a family. One of my biggest gripes with this show has been what I have considered to be the deterioration of the family dynamic among Rick's group but last night not only did we see it, I believed it. The Rick and Maggie interactions were good, their relationship dates back to the farm, Maggie is the last living Greene, she is Hershel's daughter, there is alot of familial love between those two and I liked that we saw Rick showing concern and affection for Maggie, especially after what some (including myself) may have perceived as indifference when Carol called Rick out for Maggie going on the mission to attack the Saviors. I do think it was ridiculous that 5 or 6 people left to get Maggie to Hilltop but they really rallied around her and their willingness to carry her to Hilltop on foot was endearing and reminded me that these people really do love and care about each other...we need to see more of that on this show.

2. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    I really hope season 6 was just the seed planting of what's to come for Michonne, I really do. Michonne has so much potential and DG is a more than capable actress, give this woman the arc that she deserves!

3. lostinadaydream

lostinadaydream Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 6:

The strenght of Andrew Lincoln's performance 'saved' the episode for me. My english is too limited to express how much I loved it. He didn't just show us Rick's descent into despair and his utter fear once realized that he was defeated and what was coming... he made us (or at least me) feel it. I was literally sick for Rick and it took me some time to shake off that feeling ... a really REALLY powerful performance. The others where good too but he was something else...

Regarding the rest, while they managed to build up enough tension, the flow of the episode was completely ruined by the scenes with Morgan & Carol. They were out of place and tbh I. Don't. Care. I am at a point where I can't watch a scene with Carol in it without rolling my eyes. Even the people that were watching the episode with me are over her - they basically used their scenes to talk about what was going on with Rick & co. so you can imagine how much invested they were (and they used to love/like her ).

Negan was .. good. JDM did his job well - I hated him so much :gov:- but that cliffhanger completely ruined the moment. I can't understand the mental process behind this choice - how could they think it was a good idea. Like.. how..what..why?!?!?! D:

With this Scott Gimple officially joined Jar Jar Abrams in my black list. I always defended him and tried to see his POV, try to understand what he wanted to do etc etc but I love this show too much to keep watching him gradually ruining it and low its quality - I'm tired to see them waste all the potential of this story and characters and the talent of their actors. So, I sincerely hope that the AMC or whatever will step in and -maybe not firing him but ... put someone else beside him? Someone with a clear vision and able to actually plan a coherent season? Possibly someone that doesn't think this is the Carol Show and that can manage all these characters like they deserve? :rickgrin:

One thing is sure I'm not going to waste my time/stress myself over trying to figure it out who was killed. I don't care anymore - nothing they are going to do will recreate the anticipation and that sense of dread I felt before finding out about the cliffhanger.

Jenna Alaki, tuswig and DirtieBirdie like this.
  4. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I had to let my salt level decease before I posted my review lol. I truely am a person that thinks positive and sees the silver lining in every episode...with that said. This was a horrible f*cking episode. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. Massive build up for what? We had better finales with the Governor...All I saw was Carol/Morgan...RV drives back and forth...Carol/Morgan...RV drives some more...Carol/Morgan...TF killed walkers...Carol/Morgan...line up someone gets the bat. I gave it a 2.

Pros-
    -Rick went savage over missing Michonne, sweet, sad but sweet. The fact that he kept her hair was an indication he is head over heels in love.
    -Ricks talk to Maggie, looking after her like Hershel would have wanted
    -Eugene finally got some balls
    -Gabriel stepping up
    - Andy literally carried the finale bc he's a bad ass actor

Cons
    -That disaster that was Carol/Morgan. I'm sorry in advance if I offend any Carol fans I don't mean to. I used to like Carol so much but I literally hate her character now like she's up there right behind Lori and Andrea...I'm done.
    -Not enough Richonne glances when they finally saw each other or was this strategic in the face of a new enemy idk but still wanted more
    -Not enough Negan time...what was the point of the 90 minutes?
    -Not enough Dwight time
    -We should've seen more scenes of what was going on w/Michonne, Glenn, Daryl & Rosita...way too much RV time
    -The cliffhanger...wtf AMC, this is not the 1980s, this is not who shot Jr? We have this magical thing called the Internet and all we have to do is take a head count as to who shows up for work in May....I ain't waiting till October.
    -Robert Kirkman's cocky a*s attitude on the talking dead (I know this isn't the finale but I have a point) he's so cocky and thinks he's amazing (he told Jeffrey "you better call me Mr Kirkman" I thought omg stfu) and that the world would love a cliffhanger. This was his idea, even Scott had a look on his face like "sorry y'all." Frank Darabont is who brought Roberts drawings to life. He's the real hero and they should'nt have fired him. He's probably somewhere shaking his head at this f*ckery
    -This f*cking moment right here ..
    image.jpeg
    Made me sick to my stomach. I love him and I'm praying he's ok. Legit praying. I want the rest to be ok, Ricks safe we know ...but I need the Archer to live.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

P.S I really want AMC to stop putting out articles that the cast doesn't know who dies..umm stop lying AMC. Actors know their schedules months in advance. They just don't want to answer the questions.

#84 DixonGrimes, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  5. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki " I'm gonna try "
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Me. All this.

6. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I gave it an 8. I think the suspense was good, there was an incredible amount of tension leading up to those final ten minutes. We knew the Saviors were after them for a few episodes now, so I have no problem with the build up to it.

I am conflicted over the cliffhanger. I've said in other threads and I'm sure some has said here: if it had not been for the Glenn Debacle, viewers might been more receptive to this cliffhanger. I don't even consider what happened with Glenn a cliffhanger. That was just some fake-out mind game BS. To be fair, the finale is true blue cliffhanger. BUT. Even if Glenngate didn't happen. Considering what an iconic moment this is in the comics, and part of the shock value being that after the tension and build up, you immediately see a favorite character die a horrible death, this should NOT have been a cliffhanger. We should have seen it so we can process it over the summer and look forward to seeing the fall-out in October. The only reason they did this was to get high viewership for the S7 premier. And honestly, I don't blame them for that. The show needs high ratings to stay on the air. But they need to make the writing more consistent. Like 90 percent. I'm not even asking for perfection, lol. So that when they do stuff like the finale, which in and if itself isn't necessarily bad, viewers can give them the benefit of the doubt. Problem with TWD is that there are incredible highs and incredible lows.

7. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki " I'm gonna try "
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Review: I would rate this episode with a 7.
    Summary: Good but something was definitely missing.
    Salient points are in bold.

Some likes:
    • Interpersonals
      • Rick / Maggie; Abe / Sasha; Abe / Eugene; Enid / Carl; Rick/Negan
    • Steven Ogg's performance
      • I hope he's a regular in S7, along with Dwight. His line got me scared (for Michonne) when he started talking about it being the last day for someone Rick loves.
    • Carol
      • I see many do not care for the Carol storyline. I admit that it could probably have been planned out better but I do like the concept. In a show about people and their survival at the end of the world, it is very much needed. I hope there were people watching this going through similar feelings as Carol and feeling the hope that I felt by the end of her final scene. Morgan, someone who hardly knows Carol was able to pick up better than her TF that she was in trouble. This is sad but often true. I nearly cried when she told Morgan 'just let me go (die)'. I really felt that. And Morgan's response, 'it's not your time. You are going to come back from this'. Like, your story (life) is not over yet. I felt that too. And then, the two guys appeared to offer them help. I felt that hope, like, even though TF are up sh*t creek right now somewhere else, there is more out there than what we can see. There is hope. (I also like the fact that there's another ginger on the show, if we get to see him again:holdheart:)
    • Walker line up
      • and the message it sends to Rick and TF about their loved ones (but see my comments below about camera focus)
    • AL performance
      • and the degradation of Rick's confidence to fear. I felt that. JDM said the actors did not talk to him until after the Negan scene was concluded. I thought, 'these guys are a fantastic team'.
    • Tension build up
      • leading to the introduction of the boss himself, JDM as Negan. The psychological torture and the gradual realisation that Rick Grimes doesn't know sh*t.

Some dislikes:
    • Commercials
      • ruined the flow of tension
    • Aaron / Carl
      • was that dialogue necessary? Felt forced. How about Carl talks to his dad or Maggie who he has a closer bond to? He can talk to Aaron when they're safe at home.
    • Rick / Carl
      • they could have done more with this joint father/son experience
    • Missing tension and fear
      • I felt the suspense and anxiety of TF in their run up to the Negan meet up but something was missing. They could have done more to convey this through the actors performances rather than just through the saviours' road tricks. E.g. instead of focussing the camera on how Carl and Rick were reacting to Michonne's stuff on the walker line up (individually and as father and son), they chose to show us a close up of Greg Nicotero's handiwork on the walker with the chains through it's torso. I really found the camera angles FRUSTRATING in this scene but I appreciate this may have been due to the logistics of where they shot it. The shots didn't focus enough on the characters faces and their emotions. I must say, this was my least favourite GN directed episode (I think). They could have done so much more with just facial expressions and had fewer road blockades or less RV time. They shoo;d stop chasing this Emmy and focus on telling a good story.
    • Negan / TF
      • Similar to the above, I feel like we should have had more interaction between Negan and those in the line up, like how it is done in the comics. This would have served to better convey what Negan is like, especially since he was not using F-words. I felt something from Negan, which I attribute it to the build up in tension, but I still felt like something was missing.
    • Deflated balloon
      • They built the tension well but it fizzled out by not showing us who died. All they needed was a quick Jon Snow death shot or at the very least the screams of the person's name from the lips of others in the line up, w/o necessarily having to show us who. I am open to :gimp: coming through on his promise to justify that cliff hanger. It's done now and cannot be changed but he has got to make good on his promise.
    • #Whoisit and politics surrounding cliffhanger
      • They should have decided already who it is that's gone but I feel like they haven't done it so and that's why they ae playing it out like this. It feels like there's something more political to this cliffhanger and they're trying to be smart by masking it as some kind of artsy decision and that's what makes it feel worse for me. It feels spur for them to string a long these actors that have given 110%.
    • Jam-packed RV
      • Too many people but we now know they were needed to carry Maggie on the stretcher
        • Abe and Sasha - yes - tactical and muscle.
        • Eugene - he could have written up those instructions in the comfort and safety of ASZ.
        • A-A-Ron - He stole one of Carl's lines (that's Michonne's). I was not cool with that.
        • Carl - the only reason he needed for being there was that his dad told him to come, not this strange 'I want revenge on the saviours now that I have to be evil Carl' . I didn't understand where it came from because we haven't see him do much this season, except with Enid, his dad and Michonne. It felt contrived.
      • The numbers could have been better justified if their reasons for inclusion in that RV were stronger (e.g. I like the way Carl locked Enid in the closet. His reason for her NOT coming were justified).
    Favourite moment:
    • Rick attempting to go ballistic on the dread walker then his obvious 'break down' afterwards in the RV.

@QueenTee's signature strip is exactly what I've been doing. I've been comparing the 'RV dreadlocks' scene with the Richonne scene from 6x15. I feel like these were set up to be a direct contrast to one another.
    My take on these is placed under spoiler tags for length.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    - Rick starts a brand new day brimming with confidence. He was canoodling his new, perfect woman with a pantry stocked full of food he earned for his people (as symbolised by the apple in bed). Saying 'this is good'. Just like in Genesis, God created everything and called them good. He is spooning her, pressing against her hair. Enjoying her. Kissing her shoulder. Ready to go for more paradise. He even reassures her that "we know how to take it" - the world, in response to her concerns about a saviours attack.

- He doesn't know that the saviours are a more powerful force than they in this new world. They took the savours compound with surprise and brute force but little does he know that the saviours have even more brute force at their disposal. The world is much bigger than they realise and larger than they've ever encountered. But the saviours that day were ready to give Rick and his group the education on just how things are. Multiple road blocks that increased in size and threat severity were their class practical. As Negan said: "This is Career Day": The group got their education. They were in this new world and they have to work for Negan.

- By the time he's in the RV with Michonne's locks of hair, Rick is breaking down. They have her and Daryl and by extension Rosita and Glenn. Michonne is in trouble. He told her that morning that no one was going to take their stuff away from them again but someone has. He was concerned at the gate with Abraham. He had to cut off that walkers arm that had Michonne's hair and jacket - just like he had to do with Jessie. He was devastated when Jessie died. He was devastated when Lori died. The walker that ate Lori's remains only left strands of her hair. At this point, this is all that Rick has of Michonne. But there's nothing he can do about them at the point. They are on a mission to save one of their own - Baby Gleggie and Maggie.

- Rick was losing it at that point in the RV. The stress of the saviours constant taunting and now he realises that they have Michonne and some of his family. He glances at the bullet holes that he made months earlier when he was attacked by the fleeing wolves. Those wolves attacked his home in ASZ and killed some of his people. One of them had baby food inside their pocket and the only baby in ASZ is his daughter. Rick tried to start the RV to lead the walker herd away from ASZ. It failed. The wolves stopped that plan from succeeding and his home and people were at threat. At that moment, he was a man afraid in that RV. Not afraid for himself but for his people, his family.

There will be losses Rick Grimes but you "will find a way", "Cause as long as it's all of [you], [you] can do anything". "[You'll] win".... Eventually.

QueenTee, FoxC and Gooey Goobert like this.
  8. QueenTee

QueenTee Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    YES!!!
    And exactly! That dreadlock scene was created to provide contrast with the scene in 6x15. I analyzed that scene (probably too much) and it appeared that Rick was just breathing in Michonne's essence. This was the woman he was suppose to be with and in that moment Rick was complete. Fast forward to later on that day, Rick sees this walker with locks of Michonne's hair, and Rick 's entire world begins to crumble. He holds on to Michonne's locs as a symbol for him holding on to his waning faith that things will be okay. Ugh, that scene was everything for me.

Jenna Alaki and hewontgo like this.