1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Rate & Review 7x03 "The Cell"

Discussion in '7x03: The Cell' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 6, 2016.

?

Rate the episode on a scale of 1-10

1. 1

22 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. 2

6 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. 3

8 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. 4

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. 5

14 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. 6

13 vote(s)
    15.5%
  7. 7

7 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. 8

9 vote(s)
    10.7%
  9. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 10

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Watchtower Sniper
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I liked it. I gave it a seven. It made me sad for Daryl and dislike Negan. I feel bad for Dwight who has to do bad things now to survive and Sherry who sacrificed herself to save Dwight's life.

I think Negan kept saying super hot just to push Dwight and show Daryl how much Dwight was his bitch. Him calling Tina super hot was just the set up for Sherry.

Also, I think the little conversation between Dwight and Daryl was so that Dwight would know how to break Daryl. He can now tell Negan that the way to break Daryl is to take him to Alexandria and threaten someone he cares for... now Dwight will have earned status...

Denie39 likes this.
  2. RichonneLvr218

RichonneLvr218 Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    I hated this last episode. It was so painful to watch on so many levels, and none of them good. I'm trying to find one good thing to say about last night's episode, and the best thing I can think of is that it's over. Talk about disjointed. Daryl is naked in a cell. Daryl is in a cell listening to horrid music. Daryl is naked in a cell, listening to horrid music, and eating dog food sandwiches. Daryl escapes, Daryl is brought back, Daryl is punished and tormented, Daryl pukes, and in the end, Daryl is Daryl. And in between that, we learn that Dwight is not so bad. Sorry, I wasn't impressed, nor am I sympathetic to Dwight. Dwight could've spared himself and went with Daryl when he tried to help him and his 'hot wife.' They could've cut Negan and his people off at the pass, because he could've told TF about this mad man and they could've planned for him, but he chose to go back, so he deserved the iron and whatever else he's sure to get in the near future.

Oh, I just remembered the one thing I liked about the episode. The guy that ran away and his story. He had a strength that Dwight could only dream of having and Daryl needs to work desperately on achieving. I'm a Daryl fan, but the writing of late is making it hard for this fan to care.

There was absolutely no movement of the story with this last episode. Negan is a bad guy and Daryl is away from the group. We knew that from episode one. This episode sucked!:rant:

lovemyguys and MamaGrimes like this.
  3. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    After watching this episode I found that I don't care about the Sanctuary, Negan is a joke, I don't feel sorry for Dwight or Sherry, they knew the deal and still went back. And I don't care about Daryl and his manpain. The only thing I felt bad about was Gordon, he would rather die than be at Negan's compound.

cadence_T, Cherish and MamaGrimes like this.
  4. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I gave it an 8. A lot of my favorites were in the episode which I loved. The music was too much, like legit the music got on my nerves. I should re-watch the episode and mute it.

Denie39 and wonderwoman like this.
  5. ClassicWoman

ClassicWoman Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    so i juuusst finished watching the episode and gave it a 6, i think it'll set up some cool shit for the rest of the season ...an improvement on last week's episode which had too much Carol for me....lol...im not surprised about the reviews here cause it featured Daryl.

But I really feel like it was all about Dwight, like even when we were watching Daryl, we were really watching past Dwight. The way I see it is that Dwight has undergone everything that Daryl is enduring and he didnt break either. He didnt break until Tina died and they were close to getting caught..and decided to go back with Sherry. He had no belief and no reason to believe in an "Alexandria" and honestly Alexandria is almost too good to be true...most of TF didnt believe in it either until Michonne told Rick that they were going. So in part, I kinda understand "Dwight in the woods" a little better considering what he expereienced under Negan's rule.

I think the episode highlighted Dwight's utter and complete hatred for Negan AND himself...i think he sees a lot of himself in Daryl. But Daryl doesnt have anyone close to him to care about...yeah he has TF, but he has no wife, girlfriend, or child. He really doesn't have the same motivations to acquiese to Negan's demands like Rick or Dwight.

I came in thinking i wouldnt give two shits about Dwight and Sherry, but I'm more invested in what happens to them then i was with ANY AND ALL ALexandrians in 5b and 6a. Like seriously, I consider 5b and 6a the wasted seasons...trying to make us care about a bunch of dry ass red-shirts...smh. but anyway, Negan is completely coming off as a cliche (Pussy bar, really?!) and I hope they bring something more to his character soon, cause...no..whatever they are doing is so fucking campy it just sucks all then energy out of every scene with him.

6. 21melpomene

21melpomene Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 3 because there were 3 things I liked about it:

1. The repetition of "Easy Street" made me laugh until I almost puked.
    2. Dwight voicing the opinion that Daryl got Glenn killed because I personally agree he was the catalyst of the murder.
    3. Daryl saying his own name to Negan instead of "Negan." At the end of the day I still love Daryl and I admire that he's not giving in. Saying "Negan" would be a slight to the TF and the memory of Glenn.

I also liked the look of that egg sandwich in the beginning, but I'm not giving this a 4. Waaaay too boring just to set up two plot points: the Sanctuary is horrible and Dwight and Sherry's backstory, neither of which I cared about.

Negan's still not scary, but I'm enjoying JDM's performance more...a bit. He's evil and hammy. He's black forest ham.

#106 21melpomene, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  7. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 5.

The best part was the beginning montage with them playing Town Called Malice by The Jam. I kept thinking this song sounded familiar. I looked it up and it was released in 1982. So, yeah, that's why it sounded familiar. I probably heard it back in the day. :lol: First, I thought it was a song by Madness.

Anyway, the first few lyrics up till cruel, describes The Sanctuary perfectly.

Better stop dreaming of the quiet life
    Cause it's the one we'll never know
    And quit running for that runaway bus
    Cause those rosy days are few
    And, stop apologizing for the things you've never done,
    Cause time is short and life is cruel
    But it's up to us to change
    This town called malice.

Or it could describe everyones life in the ZA. Or with the lyrics "But it's up to us to change this town called malice" later it could describe
    the ASZ w/ The Hilltop and The Kingdom possibly taking down The Sanctuary.

I feel a little bit for Sherry. Not so much for Dwight. They did go back when they could have just left on their own or go with Daryl to the ASZ. Now they're basically stuck. Just don't see how either one thought it be a good idea to go back there. If they weren't in any other episode, I wouldn't miss them.

Oh goodness, Negan. Please someone kill him and put him on the fence. That's all. I've always said that he's a sick and sadistic bastard, and he is.

Just glad this is over. Like someone said upthread, they could have had Hilltop in this episode too so we could check on Sasha and Maggie and see how they're doing. Or have this episode with The Kingdom.

Bring on 7.04.

MamaGrimes likes this.
  8. 21melpomene

21melpomene Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    I noticed that too was duly offended. It felt totally out of place.

richonneromance likes this.
  9. Mousey

Mousey Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I give the episode a 5 and agree with a lot of points raised in here so far. While I don't think it's objectively worse than Still and/or Slabtown, it at least rivals those episodes in terms of breaking the narrative progress and being generally boring as hell despite what were probably good intentions from the writers' room. (Even if Kang still is the worst at writing a single character actually in-character, lmao.)

Good things were the strange opening montage (I hated it at first but it grew on me -- it's just a bit of a sensory overload the first time), Dwight and Gordon in the second half, the tension in the scenes with Dwight and Negan (and Daryl in that last one), and the amazing use of Easy Street. It went from bewilderment to roaring laughter to annoyance and back again another cycle, lmao. The music cues in this episode were strange but also amazing at the same time. I also liked the framing of the shot of Dwight and Sherry smoking in the stairwell, even if the dialogue was bad because of Reasons Above. (Negan's dialogue actually bothered me less because at least stupid, immature men do talk like him out there, and it makes him far more memorable than the otherwise generic goonsquad we had to sit through last night.)

Daryl's torture was unfortunate of course but the stakes weren't high enough, imo. And this is me talking through my Daryl hate. :negan: When the only point where you really feel for him comes in the Polaroid moment, which is also his own doing, it's much harder to actually feel bad for Daryl. I wanted to, but couldn't, because of his complicity and the fact that Glenn's death is still incredibly fresh.

Sherry was so wooden and it's really a shame, because it should be exceedingly easy to like her and feel sorry for her, since she appears to be at the whims of men in her life all the time. I'm glad the show finally answered the question of why she and her sister were running though, even if it confirms some nasty truths about Negan. I don't like how they're sitting on so much of the actual information about the Sanctuary's inner workings, and we never should have seen anything outside of Daryl's cell if they were this unwilling to actually SHOW US.

That's sort of what holds this entire episode back: it's a mostly half-hearted attempt at a story that could've been accomplished in far less time, and it hurt several actors/characters in the process because of badly composed character moments.

10. Vivis

Vivis Survivor of Many Disasters
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I finally watch and I felt like it was a waste of an hour in my life. This episode literally gave me nothing new. The only thing that got my attention was Sherry and Dwight story. I feel for them. It's a terrible thing having to live under those circumstances however I felt the story could go a little deeper in there. I got the way they live sucks, yet I couldn't feel sympathetic for their situation. Like someone mentioned above they had the chance to escape from Negan but they came back so they gotta deal with the consequences. For me the saviors were portrayed as cavemen and didn't add much to the plot. One thing that I'm still trying to understand is why Daryl is there, him being in the episode brought nothing knew and Daryl still behaves as a 13 year old rebel who loves to challenge his parents. It wasn't a good episode at all.

MamaGrimes likes this.
  11. candi18z

candi18z Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    I would give the episode a 4. It seemed more like a filler episode to me. Although it was supposed to be a Daryl bottle episode it felt more like Gimple gave us a Dwight bottle episode. I like Dwight and I want to see where his story will go. Sherry is ok, although she reminds me of chop chop, she needs to be a more compelling character to make her and Dwight rootable. Parts of this episode almost seemed comedic. It was an ok episode but it felt weak after episodes 1 and 2.

This episode should have been combined with episode 2 as a 90min Kingdom/Sanctuary episode and episode 3 should have been about Hilltop. The GA desperately needs to know what happened to Maggie/Sasha after losing the men the loved. We also haven't seen Gregory or Paul in a while. Episode 3 should have been about Hilltop because there is much more story there than in Sanctuary.

12. zahira

zahira Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    i was wrong i said this episode would be the best episode of the 3, but i think it will be the worst episode of the season 7 :crydaryl:i gave a 3 for Daryl but the rest :dale2:

13. Cherish

Cherish Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    Didn't watch because I can care less about Negan, the sanctuary, and Daryl.

Harshmallow likes this.
  14. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I gave the episode an 8.

I thought, as some of you have said, that this episode was all about Dwight and Negan’s twisted control over him.

Some highlights:

1. Dwight seemed almost hysterical that Daryl was not giving into Negan. It was like he needed it to happen to justify his own choices. He hates himself and hates Negan. It’s sad.

2. I was at first annoyed by Negan’s hammy and rude demeanor towards Dwight, but I think now that it was on purpose and not JDM’s poorly trying to Negan’s over-the-top personality or bad writing. He was just basically being a first class asshole to Dwight and he gets off on needling him. It makes him feel good to see that he can humiliate Dwight and Dwight says nothing. Super sick, of course.

3. I liked finding out the origins of Dwight and Sherry story, but I walked away not really feeling that much for Sherry. I simultaneously feel sorry for and can’t stand Dwight.

4. Daryl is unafraid to die or be hurt at this point. Negan is keeping him around for leverage against Rick. If he can get another soldier out of the deal, icing on cake. But I think Negan is going to wish he had never run into TF. He has already underestimated Daryl’s resolve and it won’t be the last time he will underestimate a TF member.

All around, a decent episode. Additionally, I think Negan is just absolutely intoxicated with power. That is my main take away for his character in this episode. He loves it and is incredibly comfortable at this point. I do think translating Negan from comic to tv has not gone the way some of TPTB have hoped, i.e., people loving Negan despite themselves. I’m pretty sure that the GA is totally disgusted with him, which works, imo.

saga and richonneromance like this.
  15. Andrick

Andrick Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    1- Pointless episode. :bleach:

16. saga

saga Watchtower Sniper
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I actually liked the episode. It was interesting to see what was going on there, how they were run.

A productive day for Negan and the Saviors and a successful Savior is a day when you take what other people have worked to produce. That's basically the point of them. And the episode was very effective in showing that. They're very skilled bullies and slave-driving sadists.

I even liked the Daryl manpain because it was clear that Daryl's more broken than Rick. Utterly broken. Not that I want him broken, but it was interesting that they're both brought down in the same way and by the same people when any other vile people they've come across till now only made them stronger, you know? Negan is like next-level vile.

Anyway, I gave it an 8. Was generous, probably more a 7, but am having a good day, so why not. :)