1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Rate & Review 7x04 "Service"

Discussion in '7x04: Service' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 13, 2016.

?

Rate the episode on a scale of 1-10

1. 1

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  4. 4

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. 5

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. 6

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  7. 7

17 vote(s)
    14.2%
  8. 8

39 vote(s)
    32.5%
  9. 9

39 vote(s)
    32.5%
  10. 10

19 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 9.

Point deducted for Negan overkill. I'm going back and forth on his delivery. I was loving it in 7.1 thinking he brought energy, freshness and real menace again. I was still onboard but not as enthralled in 7.3. 7.4 left me really unimpressed with JDM's performance. He seems to be getting lazy and relying on the same cadence and leaning back for emphasis the whole time. It grew tiresome. So now it seems fake in a bad way or like when someone starts laughing but doesn't know when to stop and shit isn't funny anymore. He only seemed truly compelling when he lost the act. He also had way too much dialogue.

That said, what an amazing episode and return to TF.

Rick and Michonne are everything. I wanted this conflict between them. It is truly showing how deep they will go for each other and how strong they will grow. I craved their touch but I think that was the point. You are left wanting it for them as much as they want to be there, but they just aren't even if the love is still there. I now think it would have looked cheap or been a cop out to have them just have comfort sex and move on. And now you see Michonne reverting and fighting her instincts. This is what we need from her right now. She isn't a yes woman but to be with Rick is forcing her to coalesce. Her spirit is in the right place but her mind is not. They cannot be on the attack right now. Rick is being wise and cautious while she is learning to accept it out of love. Rick gets shit for being a bad leader at times but he never sends his group into a mission he knows they will definitely fail. And didn't their love look so beautiful even with them in so much pain. Epic. Iconic.

I loved the real tension placed on TF with the gun search. And again we saw Detective Rick in effect. So amazing how he knows the guns are there, Spencer is the culprit, doesn't rat him out and still checks Spencer. He's like I'm not letting Negan spank you, I will cause this is my house.

Happy to see Rosita almost paralleling Michonne. Although why she brought Spencer I have no idea. Aaron, Carl, I dunno even Judith, anyone else would have been a better choice. I hope he at least fucks her right.

Carl being defiant but still turning to Rick with the face off and Enid situation said a lot. He still values Rick's guidance.

Not sure if Daryl is really broken or just acting. But part of me thinks he really is broken now and doesn't think he deserves to be with TF again. I love that Rick asked for his brother.

Father G came through. One thing though, he thought fast but is nobody else concerned about the Saviors discovering Maggie at Hilltop, then what? That is a huge lie that they will have to deal with later.

Aaron is so TF now.

I talked to my daddy before this episode. He watches the show but had just now caught up on 6b and the premiere. 7.1 messed him up and he is reluctant to watch again. He loved Glenn and was not prepared. I told him to hang in there. After watching this episode I know it will be worth it for him to reinvest again. Interesting that I finally asked him his thoughts on Richonne. He said he didn't see it coming. Not because there weren't signs. He actually thought it was so obvious that they wouldn't do it because it would be too easy, haha!!!

2. Marcie69

Marcie69 Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    My interpretation is that Maggie is a bit down and out next Ep but Sasha and Jesus are going to team up. I'm so here for that!

cadence_T likes this.
  3. Marcie69

Walker Pets:
    I totally agree with your rating of this episode! So well-said!

I have a quick question about Father G and the Maggie grave. How would he (or Rick or anyone else) know in advance that Negan would be after Maggie?

lovingdead likes this.
  4. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    Yes. Or maybe it was a plot (pun intended) to hide some guns from jump but FG conveniently left that out. He seemed so optimistic.

Marcie69, Denie39, MrsG and 1 other person like this.
  5. Belle

Belle Perpetual notion machine - what if...
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I like this theory.

Marcie69, MrsG and lovingdead like this.
  6. CDCsuzy

CDCsuzy You will, I will
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 9!

I understand why Rick and Michonne had the space between them while they were lying in bed, I'm sure that indicated that they are not seeing eye to eye right now.

I really liked the Rick and MIchonne interactions. The way Rick looked at Michonne through the window, I don't think he could stop himself from looking. Be still my heart when Rick was pleading with Michonne to just give him the gun because he was not going to lose her and then when he put his hand to his head and said with emotion, "I'm can't lose anyone else", I just about passed out.

And then when he talked to Michonne about Judith and the way he looked at her, I just love him!!! I can't wait until he and Michonne love the hurt away!

Marcie69 and lovingdead like this.
  7. HustleBunnee

HustleBunnee Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    All I kept saying throughout the episode was "I hate Negan, I hate Negan...". It was a phenomenal episode though. The story line was filling and kept me on edge. JDM plays Negan well, but he talks to damn much. That and he's so extra at times. Like, I know everyone is scared, but I wish I could have seen some serious side eye or eye roll going on. I loved the Richonne interactions!! Especially in the beginning. Rick was tired AF and Michy is looking at him like "I'm pissed, and I know you are too, so Imma be upset with you for a minute but I'll let you rest while I go learn how to shoot from a long distance". And the scene at the end was everything to me. It gave me life. On the other hand, I can't stand Spencer and Gabriel Rocked!!

8. Mousey

Mousey Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    While I was rewatching last night in bed after posting & reading on here, it hit me: I know why Gimple had Negan looking for Maggie and openly expressing interest in her, even with it not making a whole lot of sense.

Here are Negan's lines about it --
    "Widows, especially ones that look like that... They...are special. I love 'em. Right after their husbands go, they are just... empty inside. But usually not for long."

Since we end the episode with Rick actually speaking Shane and Lori's names, does the bold line in particular remind you of anything we've seen before? Yup, it's yet another callback in this episode that's filled with them, and is salt in one of Rick's greatest wounds and likely also is what gets him thinking about Judith's paternity in the first place. :shane:

9. candi18z

candi18z Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    Here is my take on Service.

This episode tells a lot about where Gimple is going with TF this season. TF is divided and are all going in different directions. I think that the days of TF as this close knit family that fights zombies together are over. The characters seem to be doing their own things without much unity.

Negan is a hateful, sadistic bully who's obsessed with tormenting Rick. Negan seems to hate Rick and he is doing everything he can to tear Rick Down. Dwight is doing the same thing to Daryl. Gimple has given Rick/Daryl parallel arcs.

Father Gabriel has really grown as a character. I think that this season is going to be the season that Father Gabriel comes into his own. I also like his budding friendship with Rick. I love Father Gabe.

Poor Rick has the weight of the world on his shoulders. He has to protect his family. He has to deal with Negan and his Saviors and protect ASZ citizens at the same time.. He also has to deal with the Alexandrians who expect him to solve all of their problems and get angry and frustrated when he can't. His role as leader is also causing problems with Richonne.

Michonne is regressing back to season 3 Michonne. She seems to be distancing herself from TF. She is spending more and more time alone. She also wants to fight Negan and that is causing conflict between her and Rick.

Rosita is getting more screentime. Rosita is feisty and she is getting tougher but she is still needy. Rosita is not a loner like Michonne, she can never do anything on her own. She always needs someone to help her in whatever she needs to get done. Gimple is also moving towards a Eugene/Rosita pairing.

Spencer is a spoiled douchebag that needs to go. I am glad that Rick threatened him.

I hope that no one gets angry at what I am about to say about Richonne in the Service episode. Just as I feared, Negan has come between Richonne. It seems that Negan has done something that no other villain has-Negan has come between Richonne. Negan not only killed Abe and Glenn, but he killed something in Richonne's relationship. Rick/Michonne are not the same people they were before Negan. Rick has become a pacifist to keep the Alexandrians alive and Michonne has become a loner bent on Revenge. Michonne wants to be alone all of the time. They are not affectionate, intimate or romantic in any way. They seem to be going in different directions. For the first time Richonne are not on the same side. Even in season 3 when they were at odds over how to deal with the Governor they were still fighting on the same side. This time they are not on the same side, but are are growing apart. I hope that Gimple resolves this and we get Richonne back fighting together instead of drifting apart.

#129 candi18z, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    lovingdead likes this.
  10. Katana

Katana Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    The writers did a great job. Remember the episode when they left the prison and Maggie found the bus? Remember the walker whose head she bashed into the bus repeatedly? Yes, Thats what I wanted to jump through the screen and commence on spencer.

11. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That's...a really good catch. I know some people felt the Judith parentage confession was out of place, but this was setting the pieces pretty early on in the episode.

lovingdead, Mousey and Marcie69 like this.
  12. ShadowSixx

ShadowSixx Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    I can be down for a Sasha/Jesus pairing as well, but doubt Sasha would want any type of relationship from here on out as she's unlucky in that area of being with a man. Hey get it where you can if Rosita can lay down with that little bitch Spencer then Sasha can get a little some from Jesus.

Marcie69 likes this.
  13. balladsinthebluegrass

balladsinthebluegrass Hold to things that are bright.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    9/10.

OMFG, in this episode, people actually talked with each other.

They should do this every time. :lol:

14. Marcie69

Walker Pets:
    Yeah, I keep wondering about Negan's line about Michonne and his letting her walk away like she does. My take on it is that he does it to save face. It's been a long day. At the beginning, he came in full of energy and ready to taunt Rick and Rosita. Then he had the missing guns fiasco and the Carl rebellion and no Maggie and maybe at this point he's bored of bullying. He just wants to go back to the Sanctuary where it's predictable and he can do whatever creepy things he wants with no backtalk. On top of that, i think he was either impressed with or amused by Michonne's attitude, but he didn't want Rick or any of his Saviors to think he would just let that shit fly. He certainly doesn't want his Saviors to adopt that kind of attitude towards him. So he says something along the lines of, "I just love a woman who brings me dinner and doesn't expect me to put out" to signify that it is was cool, She can walk away for all he cares as long as she did what she was told. Even if the way she did it wasn't necessarily to his satisfaction. Like he said, it is Rick's job to get his people in line, not Negan's.

Then again, I was reminded of Negan's earlier line: "What I say is half is half." And just like "First shot is free" meant what Negan decided it needed to mean, I think that he likes keeping people on edge by overpunishing some and under punishing others.

Denie39 and lovingdead like this.
  15. Marcie69

Walker Pets:
    LOL!!! I guess I meant pairing up to fight the Saviors and/or walkers and/or Gregory at the Hilltop. Plus I think Jesus is gay. But I love your response nonetheless ;-P

16. ShadowSixx

ShadowSixx Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    I know you meant them pairing up in an effort to fight Saviors but they may connect after all that planning lol.

Marcie69 likes this.
  17. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Great catch, didn't even realize that line had a double effect. Gave Father G a chance to prove himself useful once again and also a deep dig at Rick that we wouldn't realize till afterwards how hard it must have been to hear Negan say that. Ugh, my poor Rick...:gabe:

Also after watching the eposode, I'm not seeing where Negan or Dwight were showing all this sexual interest in Rosita :tara:

Denie39 and Mousey like this.
  18. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:

Oooooooooooooh!!!!!! I get it. Lori thinking she was a widow was "empty inside" but not for long until she got together with Shane.

Mousey likes this.
  19. Marcie69

Walker Pets:
    Gotcha! I would be cool with that too, 5)3!

20. thepuma21

thepuma21 Watchtower Sniper
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 7, because of Negan's repetitive speeches. He talks too much and I definitely prefer JDM playing him sinister like with Olivia rather than jokey.
    Loved the Richonne and understood why they didn't touch. When I argue with my partner, even after we made up with words, I can never be affectionate, I always tell him that I'm not a robot and that I need first to adjust. He's the opposite lol!
    So I cannot wait for them to make up but the angst is good.
    The Judith confession is huge, it shows how much he trusts her and how much he lowers his defences around her. He's not scared of her using that against him.
    Finally my favorite line was Michonne 's "What?"