1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Rate & Review 7x04 "Service"

Discussion in '7x04: Service' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 13, 2016.

?

Rate the episode on a scale of 1-10

1. 1

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  4. 4

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  5. 5

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. 6

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  7. 7

17 vote(s)
    14.2%
  8. 8

39 vote(s)
    32.5%
  9. 9

39 vote(s)
    32.5%
  10. 10

19 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover "I wanted it to be ours, me and you"
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Nestled in Ricks' murder coat and Michonnes' jeans
    Custom Banner

Lol!! So inagreement!! Rick said MORE with his back turned when he threatened to break Spencers jaw and kick his teeth and not one facial expression shown, than the entirety of the Daryl focus in The Cell. Rick was.not.playing.at.all. Spencer and his entitled smug ass KNEW he wasn't which is why he groveled at the end. Spencer hasn't met murder Rick yet and he REALLY doesn't want to. :grumpy:

MrsG, Mousey and Denie39 like this.
  2. Michroolz

Michroolz Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Sorry for the late reply, I just noticed your post as I don't seem to have received the alert for some reason.

Thank you, thank you for not making me feel like 'that fan'. I don't think it's much to ask for scenes to link up and explain why our protagonists are doing what they are doing. I'm not against exposition if it is used well but I'm getting tired of our characters only communicating with each other by long winded lecture or verbosity. Up until this episode, I loved Rosita but this time I found her an annoyance because, like you, I thought she, Spencer, Dwight and even Daryl weren't really needed or didn't need the amount of time devoted to them in this ep.

Being honest, the church meeting and burnt out house meeting with Richonne seemed strange to me because I was reminded of one of the features of Subjugation: do not allow the people to gather unsupervised because, otherwise, they can organise against you, lol. (So maybe Negan isn't all that after all).

Or maybe he is ...I agree with your word for his look. His look was gleeful and he definitely seems to back off from Michonne. On second viewing Dwight and fellow saviour seemed to be more fascinated by her than Negan was. Was it a ploy to look like he hadn't caught on to Richonne when their behaviour more or less provided him with confirmation? She definitely showed him she wasn't afraid of him, contemptuous even and he reacted with... amusement. He took away their guns as punishment for Carl's disrespect so why no repercussions for Michonne? Or was that what taking the deer was about?

I'm hoping our suspicions are validated but with these writers...

Marcie69 and slade3 like this.
  3. FoxC

FoxC Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I really loved the episode. So much of what I want to say has already been said but a few of my thoughts.

My heart absolutely broke seeing them in bed with their backs facing each other. So much distance compared to the other times we saw them in bed. I thought it was a totally representation of where they are at emotionally after the events in 7x1. I think before I wanted physical interactions between them but I was totally okay with the lack of it in this episode. There was so much raw emotion between them......AND THE ANGST! When angst between/around a couple is done right, I eat it up. I loved the scene where they were making their bed on the floor together. It was a total "Im still with you" moment for me. Michonne could of walked off but she came back with sheets and said she would try.

I don't think Rick is lying about accepting life as it is now. I think, for now, he feels this is how life is going to be for them for a while. Negan broke him and I could see it in Rick's eyes throughout the episode. I did see a few hints of feral/murder Rick so he isnt down for the count but I think like AL said, Michonne is going to be "key" for Rick gaining some confidence back.

Negan is prick and there are times where he annoys me because of his stupid over the top ways. I accepted it for 7x1 but I rolled my eyes a lot in 7x3 cause of him. But in this episode, it didnt bother me. I actually laughed at a few of his lines. Maybe because there was a balance of other characters I love. I still like JDM as Negan though but he leans......a lot. I don't know if it was on here or on FB but someone said it looks like he is doing a limbo contest. Now I can't shake that image LOL.

I don't know where Rosita's head is at or what her plans are. I could see her dying later on down the road.

I gave major side eye to Spencer and I am glad Rick put him in his place for now.

That savior that was creepy with Enid made my skin crawl. Everytime he said "little girl" I cringed.

Overall, I really enjoyed the episode.

4. slade3

slade3 The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I haven't rewatched the episode yet, but I rewatched the scene when Rick asks to speak to Michonne. Rick was so clearly a man asking to speak to a very important woman in his life. And Negan's reaction just makes me think he knows there's a connection between Rick and Michonne.

I will really be shocked if Negan's behavior toward Michonne is not leading to something. The way JDM is playing this makes me think Negan knows Michonne is someone important to Rick and Carl and he's backing off from her out of a weird respect, but also because he has something in store for them. Is it possible Negan knows Rick loves Michonne and is keeping this knowledge a secret because he believes he can hurt/maim/kill Michonne when Rick least expects it? He may be thinking of Michonne as a future bargaining chip.

But, as you say, "..with these writers..."

Your point about subjugation is spot-on. It was glaringly weird to me with the church scene. With the Rick and Michonne scene I just felt it was Negan showing this special treatment to Michonne that I don't fully understand yet. I hope hope hope it leads to something.

I just thought of something though. When Michonne comes out of the house with Rick to give Negan the gun, the focus is on Negan. he's waiting and when he hears her footsteps, he smiles and nods and turns around. It was a test. Maybe he wanted to see if Rick could convince her to come out. Is it possible that was the moment Negan knew Rick had some power over Michonne?

5. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Thank you, whenever he's on screen all I want to do is scream STFU!
    He is so campy and juvenile I can't take it. I love JDM (RIP John Winchester) but Negan has no redeeming qualities and I don't find him charming.

Tisha Grimes and Ashley like this.
  6. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I agree with you about Negan his dialogue isn't scary it's annoying. Only funny line from him was the FG response. It was the only Negan lines that felt genuine. It was the first thing he has said that made me smile.

cadence_T and Marcie69 like this.
  7. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Remember Sister Sister back in the day? When the twins said Go home Roger?
    I always want to say Shut the fuck up Negan!

8. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Right with you on this. Michonne may very well explode if she doesn't kill a savior soon. Oh yeah, the deer drop was epic. Somebody gonna pay for all this. I don't need to see and especially hear Negan for the rest of 7A. Please God render him mute, best punishment ever. Dude loves the sound of his own voice.

cadence_T, Michroolz and ClassicWoman like this.
  9. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Never thought I'd like and respect FG. Dude manned up big time. I am so proud.

ClassicWoman and Marcie69 like this.
  10. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Because Negan is a giant asshole.

mellowalkerstalker likes this.
  11. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    That shit was epic Deer drop and bounce. Gangsta girl. Poor Rick, between Carl and Michonne trying to keep these two under control is going to kill him before Negan can.

12. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Glenn and Abe weren't the guys in charge who felt responsible whenever things go wrong. That would be Rick, with everybody staring and pointing fingers at him. He carries that shit and it kills him a little at a time. That's what empathetic leaders do, its the weight that they carry and Michonne understand that.

13. ClassicWoman

ClassicWoman Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    lol right. half of Rick's anxiety was trying to keep Michonne and Carl in line

14. Michroolz

Michroolz Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I so hope you're right about Negan knowing that Michonne is a significant person in Rick's life. I'd really like to see this lead to some interaction between Negan and Michonne only because I crave Danai going toe-to-toe with another quality actor besides AL. Much as I love CR, DG hasn't had any significant interaction with any of the arguably 'bigger named' actors i.e. LJ, DM, SW except TF since she arrived in s3.

Ahaaaa! I think you might have something there. I thought the focus was on Negan being facetious but testing and probing are definitely Negan's MO. I'm going to watch that scene again.

Marcie69 and slade3 like this.
  15. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki Saying "Yes"
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Gave this an 8. Considering changing to a 9.

I posted this elsewhere but now I'm thinking about it , seems appropriate for here.

Loved this episode. I've been waiting a LOOOONG time for some Richonne goodness and I've had my appetite wet. I like how they portrayed the reverberation of the incidents at the clearing to Richonne - their distance - and it's a stark contrast to the last time we saw them in that bed together, as a spoon. *sigh* They're definitely gonna have to get back on the same page (I'm still with you; we'll win) and they'll be stronger than ever when they do!

Grief is a solemn and sometimes solitary thing and I think the lack of affection between them was appropriate for them. When I am grieving I actually don't want people necessarily touching me, but that's just me. I don't think Rick shared what he did to get a hug. And how many times have we seen them hug? They're more about subtle gestures and taps but anyway, I do expect that we'll see more affection from them that shows that they're a couple.

I loved that Rick shared that intimate detail with Michonne about Shane and Lori. For him to do that, speaks volumes IMO about how special Michonne is to him. It's interesting that it's something that I wouldn't have thought the writers would do (let's face it, connecting to the past isn't exactly one of Gimple's strong points). I've seen a handful of little things so far this season that make me think that someone is actually paying attention to criticism, another example being the evolution of Judith Grimes!

Hmmm, so did that comment Negan made about Michonne mean that he suspects Michonne is Rick's other half? The way he easily begged Negan for a moment with Michonne, didn't really leave much to the imagination. He just needs one more clue to get that confirmed.

I may be on my own in this but JDM is starting to warm on me. Negan is ANNOYING as hell. Like REALLY annoying. More so than menacing but that's a mutually exclusive trait from the fact that Negan could really just randomly kill someone for breaking his random rules. I was so tense during this episode and so relieved when they left. And, to me, that's how it should be played. They should stop trying to sell him as the baddest villain because it creates different picture in different peoples' minds as to what to expect. He actually is the baddest in walking dead history but just let Negan's personality play out as Negan, with that annoying lean and all.

I think I'm in love with Carl Grimes. I was so proud of his teenage self but he couldn't have gotten away with that in my eyes if he was an adult. And his hot headed self should learn about consequences. I'm so looking forward to the Carchonne moment next week as shown by the sneak peek. I hope there's more to it. More Michonne being a mum. :holdheart:

Judith Grimes.... that's all I have to say. I welcome the growth spurt. I guess since she was standing in the crib when her dada came, that she's walking now? I hope we get to see it.

Rick... Rick Grimes! That little slice of Spencer and Rick at the end is proof that he hasn't gone anywhere. Like a caterpillar in it's cocoon, Rick Grimes shall rise again and be better than ever!

So much more I could say, but I'll leave it there for now. A+ episode.

#155 Jenna Alaki, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  16. Kordas

Kordas Den Mother
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I just now realized I haven't written a review on this episode yet. I'm giving it an 8. Overall, I really enjoyed the episode even though I have a few caveats.

What I loved:
    - Alexandria is back!
    - Most of our mains came back after sitting out 2 previous episodes
    - Almost every character at Alexandria got their time to shine (maybe aside from Eugene and Aaron)
    - Gabe coming back with some great scenes! I loved his quick thinking with Maggie's fake grave as well as him creeping out Negan :lol: I also loved Gabe's little scene with Rick when Gabe's all optimistic and is like "You're my friend". That was so great
    - Carl was a real badass and I can't wait to see where his relationship with Negan goes next (he's already fascinated by Carl)
    - Rick was such a champ enduring all the torment from Negan and even throwing a few snarky comments at Negan. I'm glad he was smart and didn't go for Negan's head. It was also heartbreaking when he told Michonne how he can't stand losing anyone else. It was really apparent in how hard he tried to save Olivia from death.
    - I like that they laid some groundwork for the adaptation of the tower fight with Michonne practicing her sniper skills. It's so apparent she'd like to fight back, but unfortunately Rick is right - they don't have the numbers.
    - The conversation about Judy and Shane. Great scene.
    - Rosita intrigues me - I hoped to see some more from her this season and it really looks like I'm gonna get it. I liked her role in this episode and can't wait to see what she's gonna do with that bullet.
    - Negan wasn't even annoying to me - I actually enjoyed his interactions with Alexandrians
    - Daryl had no lines

What I didn't like:
    - That creepy Savior dude that touched Enid's face. Really, they have pedophiles now? :ugh: Hope Carl gets to blow his brains out soon
    - Dwight was so unnecessarily over the top. I mean, what was the point of trying to make you sympathetic towards him in 7x03 if you're gonna have him act like a total douche this episode? Pouring out a perfectly good water? Really? And him trying to desperately be Daryl is fucking creepy :daleeye:
    - Olivia didn't get to slap Negan. I was waiting for this comic moment.
    - Fucking Spencer

17. Minty

Minty Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Good episode, but it felt a little dragged out at times, I didn't think it needed to be this long, so I give it an 8. I've always defended TWD's slower episodes, but even I'm having a hard time doing that with the last two, so I hope the show picks up the pace next week.

It was really good to see the ASZ people again, I missed them so much. My Richonne shipper heart is pleased with what we got in this episode, I'm a sucker for well written angst and this was it, I loved how mature they were about the whole thing, no screaming matches, no one running away to get drunk or cheat, no "breaks", it was just wonderful. It was also very fitting to both characters, they are both acting as expected (at least by me). It breaks my heart to see Rick like this though, props to Andy again for the brilliant acting. Michonne, I see her point in all of this, I understand her anger and her need to do something and I 100% support her. Enid and her balloons made me cry. Father Gabriel was just great, I can't believe how much I came to enjoy this character. Rosita, howerver, was the real MVP of the episode, she was amazing! I'm so glad to see that they're still developing her, she's growing s lot as a character and I love that (I just hope it doesn't mean she's dying soon). Negan and Dwight still suck. That's all.

Denie39 and lovingdead like this.
  18. Minty

Minty Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I forgot to mention, it was nice to see Eric again. I had seriously forgotten what he looked like. lol

I'mStillWithYou likes this.
  19. I'mStillWithYou

I'mStillWithYou Richonne Trash
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Lol- it was nice for a quick second to see him until he opened his mouth.

DarkandStormy, ClassicWoman and Minty like this.
  20. slade3

slade3 The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm going with an 8. I've watched the episode 2 times, and I've watched the Richonne scenes...more than 2 times...and what I liked about it outweighs what I hated.

There's a moment when Rick and Michonne meet in the abandoned house and Rick says something like, "I'm going to need the rifle". Danai's face changes so quickly and she says "What." And it is everything.

It's this scene in the abandoned house that made me go with the 8 rating for the episode (that scene alone would get a 10).

When Rick asks for the rifle and Michonne says "What" both characters become s3 Rick and Michonne. It is a split second, but Rick turns a little to his side and says "I know what you're doing" as he comes toward her, and it's as if they are back in the prison, not trusting each other, and Rick is that guy who will kill you where you stand if you cross him. But he's able to push that Rick away very quickly the moment he steps closer to Michonne, and tears come to his eyes and he tells Michonne he can't lose her or Carl or anyone. It's masterful.

Andy Lincoln's performance was fantastic in this episode. Rick was angry, sad, frustrated and afraid. I wanted to hug him.

DG was also terrific in this episode. Someone already mentioned this, but her reaction to accidentally killing the deer was unexpected (by me) and beautiful.

I loved the Richonne scenes.

I loved Rick going in to see Judith in the morning.

I loved seeing Carl.

Father Gabriel was so good. What a great intro to him this season. I loved the way he scared Negan - I believe Negan really was taken aback, and then a little freaked that there was a priest there. I still can't believe Gabe has become my fourth favorite character on the show - after Rick, Michonne and Carl. His relationship with Rick makes me so happy. He is super creepy in a good way. I like that he followed Rick around the room and Rick was all nonchalant about how creepy FG was being. That scene was a favorite after the two Richonne scenes.

Olivia is adorable! I have never paid any attention to her, except maybe one time when she was babbling to a member of TF, possibly Carol in s5, about wanting to make something (?). But she was really cute and I love her glasses and her hair. I keep reading that she slaps Negan in the comics, and that Negan is kind of attracted to her, so I'm sorry she didn't get to do that here. And I could totally see Negan crushing on this Olivia for some reason.

I think my biggest issue with the episode was how confused the Alexandrians seemed when Negan arrived. I know it's only been 3 days since the line-up, but wouldn't the members of the line-up have told the townspeople how dangerous the saviors are? Wouldn't the news that Abe and Glenn were so brutally murdered be enough to make you step out of Negan's way? It made me wonder what TF did on Day 2 if they didn't gather the townspeople for a meeting about what life will be like now.

Unfortunately Negan bores me. If not for the Richonne scenes, Father Gabriel and AL's performance, this episode would have a lower rating. I don't know if it's the way Negan is written, or the way JDM is playing him, but I don't even hate Negan. I just don't want to have to watch another scene with him in it. They always say the opposite of love is indifference.

But worse than Negan? Dwight! I despise Dwight. I rewatched 7x03 right before 7x04 and that was a huge mistake because I realized just how much Dwight disgusts me. I gave 7x03 a 1 last week. That was generous. Every single time Dwight was on my TV screen I became cranky. I hope Daryl or Rosita ends him.

I've made no secret that I dislike Rosita. So this episode wasn't great as far as Rosita is concerned. She is one-note nasty and I'm tired of her. But she has nothing on Spencer. Oh boy, do I hate Spencer. I had to take a moment to choose whether I hate Spencer more than Dwight and I couldn't! I want both of these men off my TV screen stat!

And, sadly, one of the minor saviors stood out enough for me to want her gone quickly: Arat. What a lousy character. I want her off my screen, too, please.

I am now firmly on the team that believes Negan wants to have sex with Rick. Or, at least, kiss him to see what it would be like. I was watching their scenes saying "I don't blame you one bit" to Negan. Just look at Negan's eyes and now imagine him looking at a woman that way. Yeah, that's a strong attraction there.