1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Rate & Review 7x06 "Swear"

Discussion in '7x06: Swear' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 27, 2016.

?

Rate the episode on a scale of 1-10

1. 1

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. 2

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. 3

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. 4

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. 5

9 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. 6

20 vote(s)
    27.0%
  7. 7

10 vote(s)
    13.5%
  8. 8

15 vote(s)
    20.3%
  9. 9

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. 10

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. saga

saga Watchtower Sniper
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    It was a real take-it-or-leave-it episode for me.

Honestly, I love the idea of Oceanside, but part of me found the idea that the only lesbian character left is the one who washes up there to be, well, just pandering, you know?

And I saw the Heath-salt upthread but I appreciated his rant because maybe it's the zombie apocalypse and he's entitled to have rude awakenings just like everyone else.

And I appreciated having my TeamFamily4Eva flag run over by the truck of perspective in re the slaughter at the radar station thingy or whatever that place was.

And like was said upthread, it all could've been spread around other episodes. But it was nice hanging around with Tara for it all because I like hanging around with her. For me it was not a waste of an hour at all. But at the same time, it felt kind of like fanfiction.

If that made sense.

Dobbying and Barbarossa-TWD like this.
  2. leela

leela Slopping Pigs
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I really liked this episode it gave me a all new respect for Tara, though I'm not sure how I feel about the Oceanside community yet it takes me awhile to warm up to new people.

3. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Eh Im hard on Heath cus Im fighting so hard for him. I may have hyped him up in my head to be super awesome and I forgot hes the same man who challenged Michonne. He'll come back in S8 hardened and all 24-like and Ill be happy LOL

Katbird and AbsoluteTrash like this.
  4. coffeebean

coffeebean Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    Amongst the crumbs under Richonne's table
    Morning Ladies!

I gave it a four. Felt so-so about the episode- in my opinion, it got off to a very slow start. Didn't feel this needed to be a bottle episode, either. I don't hate Tara. I've never felt either/or about her, in fact. I could understand Heath's frustration, but a lot of times it comes across as whining which is a big turn-off. Oceanside community was a real treat, and I liked Cyndie. I also understood the women's fear of being found out. What Negan did to their men and boys was heartbreaking. I do feel we'll be seeing them again. Overall, I feel this episode could have been merged with another. I personally am getting tired of not seeing TF together more, especially after what happened with Glen and Abe. Lastly, I too felt that more time should have been given to Tara's reaction concerning everything that happened in her absence, especially Denise.

Have a great day.

5. ClassicWoman

ClassicWoman Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    3 for me.

I was kinda neutral about Tara before with her fist bumps and what not, but i found her kind of annoying now. I think the comparison to Glenn is interesting because i found him hopeful in a very serious and pragmatic way, whereas Tara's hopefulness was/is kinda naive and irritating. Showing up at the end looking happy in those sunglasses was just dumb considering that Heath is still missing...i just didnt get most of her reactions.

Another part - on the bridge and almost overcome with walkers and shes yelling at Heath "we stick together!" or some crap...i was like...whaaaa?? like girl get those walkers off you and then talk to ol'boy lol.

I just didnt get it and refuse to believe they needed to dedicate an hr to her character without interweaving some other storyline in it.

6. slade3

slade3 The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I thought the Glenn comparison was about Cyndie. Either way, I agree with you about the sunglasses. It seemed really misplaced. I felt there should have been some unease on Tara's part after the Oceanside woman said The Saviors had probably already killed everyone in Tara's community. I still like her, but I can't say I agreed with all of her behavior in this episode. some of it was just odd and this shouldn't have been dedicated to just her.

7. cadence_T

cadence_T Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 6. The episode itself was fine but in the context of this season, it was just another pointless bottle episode. Plus there wasn't enough Heath and Tara is not a character that any episode should be centered around though the actress did fine with what she was given.

8. MrsG

MrsG Licking Rick clean.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I have a soft spot for Heath. He will come around. He was a primary breadwinner for ASZ before Rick & Co. came, and we know he's brave because he guilted Spencer's bit*h ass into helping fight the herd with him, Aaron and Richonne. He's a team player.. I have faith. Baby boy was just having a moment. Tara is decent enough. I'm not invested in her character, but she aigh't.

9. ClassicWoman

ClassicWoman Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Thanks Glenn/Cyndie makes much more sense lol.

slade3 likes this.
  10. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Good point that Heath is told to man up and Glenn isn't.

Denie39 likes this.
  11. grimesfan2501

grimesfan2501 Survivor of Many Disasters
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I gave this episode a 9. As a so called "bottle" episode, it passed most of the tests that are out there. The BECHDEL test, the SPHINX test and the VITO RUSSO test.

These tests are all about how females are depicted in fiction

vito Russo - can two women of color talk to each other without mentioning their race

Spinx - interation of women characters, revelance, prominence

Bechdel - do the women have names, do they talk to each other, do they talk about something other than their relationship with their man

I think that it is very interesting that we get an episode devoted to strong women.

Hope this trend can continue with more shows/movies and such

12. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Very good points. I think this whole season so far has been about showcasing strong women. Right now they are the ones planning and ready to fight, it's a nice change of pace and then seeing a whole community of strong women was the icing on the cake

13. mellowalkerstalker

mellowalkerstalker Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    It was a good episode. i don't want to give it an actual score yet because i might need to re-watch it first, but my preliminary score is a 7.

Alanna Masterson was not terrible haha. No, she was actually pretty good, although again she's not a great actor like AL and DG - sorry I can't help comparing every actor to those two. AL and DG are so good at conveying emotions without saying a word... Alanna pretty much had the same expression on her face the entire time? Except for when she was smiling? Even when she was supposed to be shocked at losing her loved ones, she kind of just looked a bit lost, like someone had spilt her milk lol. Maybe it's not her fault... maybe it was the writing or the direction she was given too. Either way, it kind of made the episode fall a bit flat for me. She should have been devastated at the news that her boyfriend and 2 of her closet friends had been murdered; instead she just looked a bit put out.

The highlights of the episode were Heath and Cyndie. Even though Heath was barely in the episode, Corey Hawkins is a far far better actor, and so his scenes had the most impact on me. At the beginning of the episode, when he was dropping some truth bombs about what they had done to the Saviours... I can't even really describe how I felt lol. His little speech had a real effect on me. It was sad and intense. I could really feel that he was battling with some demons. Then there was Cyndie; she was also battling with some demons too, and i know that everyone has been saying this, but she reminded me of Glenn. Sydney Parks is a great actress too, and I really enjoyed her performance.

Meeting Oceanside was also kind of cool.... I hope they show up again (anyone know? I'm not 100% up to date with spoilers). Seeing a community of strong women working together to survive and keep their homes safe.. yeah it was cool... *shrugs* I don't know, i don't really feel any way towards Oceanside. I only want to see them again because otherwise i feel like that entire episode was a bit of a waste. I'm assuming at some point Tara will go back there to try to get their guns, or to convince them to fight in the war against Negan. Otherwise, really, what would have been the point of this episode? We didn't really learn much except that the Saviours really are some class A arseholes (which we kind of knew already...).

Did anyone else feel like that sand walkers scene was a bit ridiculous? When all the sand fell and they were on the floor with the walkers grabbing at their ankles? It took so long for Heath and Tara to get off the ground I was almost dying with laughter.

So yeah. A 7. It was a good episode, didn't need to be a bottle episode though. I would re-watch it.

14. slade3

slade3 The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I know of the Bechdel test, but I thought the Vito Russo test referred to gay and lesbian characters, not women of color. I'll check it out because I'm curious. I had not realized there was one specifically for women of color.

15. grimesfan2501

grimesfan2501 Survivor of Many Disasters
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    You may be correct. I am multitasking (working and following social media ) lol

16. Dobbying

Dobbying Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 9. Really loved this episode and I'm only not giving it a 10 because they did gloss over her learning about all the deaths. Also, I find it hard to give episodes without Rick a ten.

I think I'm in the minority in that I genuinely love Tara and have since 4b (she was introduced in the worst episodes of the show so still took some time to grow on me). I think she's actually one of the characters who has been handled best, her personality has been consistent since the start and all the relationships she's had within team Family have felt really genuine. So I definitely felt she could carry off a bottle episode and think she did so well here. People keep wishing her dead over Rosita/Sasha but I really don't want TWD to have another case of Dead Lesbian Syndrome.

I thought the Oceanside community was amazing, a community of just women is really interesting and their kill first mentality is understandable but really harsh. I think Rachel may have stolen Carl's 'future serial killer's status. I thought all the people we met at Oceanside seemed like fleshed out characters that I definitely want to see more of. Cyndie is a great character too and it would be really interesting to see her reaction to the Alexandria group.

I'm worried that they're really making Negan WAY more evil/formidable in the show than he was in the comics. Killing all the boys over 10 is a new level of evil on this show.

I never really got a chance to form an opinion on Heath and so don't really care about him disappearing. The sand walkers were pretty cool though.

While I still wish we'd gotten a bit more of her reacting to the deaths, I thought the scene with her and Eugene was really well done, and the gift for Denise was a nice touch.

17. Mischonne

Mischonne Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    I was driving to work and the radio announcer said did everyone watch the walking dead. Is it me or has it gotten boring? Why devote a whole episode to another new community?

Walking Dead writers and producers better wake up

mellowalkerstalker likes this.
  18. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    I think sometimes when you really love a show and rooting for it to be the best that it can be, it can cloud your judgment and have you overlook/forgive many of its glaring weaknesses (that has been the case with me in regards to TWD and a few other shows). After reading viewer comments/ reviews on several different sites and talking to a friend, who I find to be very fair on her critiques of this show, I think to rate this episode any higher than a 6 is being waaaay too generous. Granted, I do believe that there are people who genuinely enjoyed this episode, but for others, I think they are just reaching when trying to justify why it is worthy of an 8, 9 or 10. If anything this episode introduced a new group of redshirts...that's it.

mellowalkerstalker likes this.
  19. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover "I wanted it to be ours, me and you"
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Nestled in Ricks' murder coat and Michonnes' jeans
    Custom Banner
    I gave it a 7.5.

Overall, I REALLY like the Oceanside Community. A band of strong woman/girls who instead of folding like chairs, decided to stick together following the horrific slaughter of all their male members and make a life for themselves. I cannot even imagine THAT trauma, watching their men and boys all lined up and executed. Just. No. So their heartbreaking backstory was interesting. I liked their nomad, live by/off the water and off of the land, made their own weapons, yet had artillery as well. Their community reminded me of warrior women found in literature and mythology ( the whole Wonder Woman vibe was strong here) and I am here for this! Strong Ladies have been the highlight this season and it's about time. From TF, to the Kingdom ladies and now OS. A nice deoarture from the men getting all of the glory. They are truly shaking things up and I LOVE IT!!

I liked the female lead main character she had a Rick vibe to me. How she let Tara live after her confrontation with the other Oceanside woman was very Rick like. And she had a very wise and soothing
    demeanor, but I sensed her strength and leadership at the same time. She would kill you in two seconds and ask questions later which I understood completely given their curcimstances.

Tara/AM didn't do too badly. I like Tara overall. She is on the lower spectrum of favorite TF female, but not sure why she was given an entire bottle episode. I had my :beth: face on because it reminded me too much of Beth and Coda, because in all of the time my :gsmile: was on the show he NEVER received a bottle episode and as we know Glenn was hugely popular, so I was a bit :salt:about that and didn't feel the need for Tara to have an entire episode..

Anyhoo, I did like Taras interactions with the OS ladies but her interactions with Heath felt a bit off for me, like they were trying too hard with them and their connection. When she was yelling at him during the sand walkers attack about sticking together, I was scratching my head like, "girl, get rid of the walkers first and THEN see about Heath and discuss. :sasha:. I did like their discussion about what transpired at the Savior compound, but a part of the dialogue did feel a tad bit forced, IMO.

Heath was kind of getting on my last nerves during his angst rant. I get his angst , not everyone is going to be TF level of murder and mayhem, (see Morgan, but he's killed plenty ) but I still thought Michonnes little schooling helped, but he must have forgotten. :michonneeye: He still has NO idea what TF have witnessed and done, so I will not hate on him for that, and give him a bit of leeway, but he is going to need to get it together like.Glenn did . It's kill or be killed. Heath can express his angst about killing, and Corey did a good job here, but I need less of a judgemental vibe from him about TF and their actions. He was safe behind the walls of the AZ and hasn't come across pure evil like the Gov, Claimers, Termites, the Wolves or Negan. But I was happy to see him again and have a feeling he was taken by the Saviors or the Kingdom and to accommodate Coreys absence.

I am here for Cyndie! I love her optimism and her spirit. She reminded me of a Glenn/Sasha combination. Glenns optismism and Sashas feistiness and rifle sniper skills. And she is gorgeous!! :lol: I kept staring at her hair the enire time. She would be a great addition to TF. I crackshipped with Carl, because of the pretty and she is boss, but I guess she is too old for Carl and he has Enid, whom I haven't entirely warmed up to as of yet. I don't mind her moody angst since she is a teen and witnessed her parents get killed by walkers and I do like her with Saggie, I just don't find her all that interesting for my baby boy Carl as a love interest. I need someone more dynamic for him and sadly Cyndie fits the bill for me. She has an optimistic balance to Killah Carls crazy. I want to see more of her and think she would be interesting to have at AZ and a friendship with Carl, and other TF ladies.

Rachel is a mixture of Lizzie and Killah Carl in S3. She gave ZERO fu*ks about killing Tara even when she wasn't a zombie, she was unconscious, nor bitten. She is definitely a by product of her effed up environment and all she has witnessed at her young age, so I get the cray behavior and attitude from her. When she spat at Tara, oh, it would have been on but she has balls, I will give her that. :lol:Like Carl. I am curious with how they deal with her. Will she go the Lizzie way or the Carl way? Remains to be seen but I actually liked her.

I felt that it was a huge disservice to pretty much having Tara so casually stroll up to AZ sporting her shades without a care in the world even after she had been warned of the possibility of TF and AZ being taken by Negan by the OS ladies . Tara seened so naive here, which didn't make sense to me after everything she has been through. Add to the fact that we were robbed of her actual reaction to Denise/Glenn/Abe, and that just pissed me off. I felt more in rhe Tara/Eugene scene when no words were spoken, then the Tara/Rosita scene. I swear, the lack of immediate post Lucille TF reactions just screams to me that Glenn/Abe were like a couple of redshirts and not the important iconic characters they were to TF and the show. :rant:Not happy with this trend at all.
    Other than that, I don't believe an enire bottle should have been given to OS nor Tara. Gimple could have cut down half the time and interspersed Rick/Aaron, Kingdom, AZ and Michonne, Carl with the other time. That way, its consistent storytelling and the GA who are here for all of TF don't have to wait weeks before showibg them again. Especially not having the lead Rick not showcased in every episode. That is a big no for me. :eyefuck:

#59 ALDGRichonneLover, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  20. RichonneLvr218

RichonneLvr218 Blanket believer
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Though informative, which was really refreshing considering there was no Richonne is this episode, a Tara bottle episode was just a waste. What we learned last night could have been done in a handful of three-minute scenes with more established characters involved in the episode to further the overall story. I get that TPTB want to establish all these new communities, and this is an interesting community which is what saved the episode, but all this newness is too much too fast. When it's all said and done, what did we really learn last night? Negan is a monster. Thing is, we learned that in episode one. Negan murders children and psychologically terrorizes people for sport. Why are we being hammered with this? We're supposed to what? Love to hate Negan? Wait with bated breath to see what dastardly deed he does next? I don't find this the least bit appealing, and I don't love to hate Negan, I just want the character dead. He's too evil for evil's sake, and that makes him a cartoon. If I want a cartoon, I'll watch Archer.

All that said, I gave this episode a four, but in hindsight, a five and a half or six would've been more appropriate. So much Tara had me a bit biased. (Side note: I still blame her for Hershel's death.) It was great seeing Heath, and I hope he's okay. The ladies of Oceanside have been through a lot, that little Rachel is a true serial killer in the making, and the women are amazingly resilient considering all they've been through. Another plus, I like Cyndie. She's strong and she's got a good heart. I look forward to getting to know her better. A big minus, too much Tara! I got enough Tara last night to last me until next season.