1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll Rate & Review 7x06 "Swear"

Discussion in '7x06: Swear' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 27, 2016.

?

Rate the episode on a scale of 1-10

1. 1

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. 2

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. 3

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. 4

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. 5

9 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. 6

20 vote(s)
    27.0%
  7. 7

10 vote(s)
    13.5%
  8. 8

15 vote(s)
    20.3%
  9. 9

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. 10

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. sharky

sharky Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    I'm giving it a 6.

Pros
    • Oceanside was refreshing, in it's location and the uniqueness of it being an all-female society added in a lot of mystery in the first half.
    • Rachel and Cyndi were both awesome.
    • Some of Tara's awkward humour actually made me smile and laugh, can't remember the last time that's happened with TWD!
    • Even though some people didn't like it, I really liked Heath' vocalizing his moral struggle with what happened at the outpost. He's new to the group and his reaction to their seasoned-brutality only makes sense.
    • We know now that Tara has this trump card in her back pocket, she knows where there's a good sized weapon stash. For such a non-important character previously, she's going to be a significant puzzle piece moving forward and someone to watch now. I'm interested to see what happens that finally makes her break and tell people about Oceanside.
    • Thank god they actually had Tara get back to Alexandria within the same episode instead of dragging that out (that's a plus for this show lately)
    Cons
    • Heath and Tara's struggle against the sand-walkers was awfully executed. Everything about it. I hate how characters *all of a sudden* become more incompetent than they should be. The moment Tara's gun ran out of ammo and she looked at it in confusion for a full second which led to her being jumped on from behind was ??? Tara ~weakly~ holding those two walkers at bay while yelling at Heath "WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER!!" before she plummeted off the bridge was very unnatural and cringey.
    • I have a major problem with how they dealt with Tara's return. Eugene's face was heart breaking, but where was the reaction from Tara? She should be emotionally wrecked, losing 3 people who were close to her in such a brutal way. They skimmed over it in the last few minutes of the episode like an after-thought. An entire episode dedicated to a side-character, supposedly to develop her and familiarize her with the audience (again), and they don't take advantage of what should have been a huge character moment. Weird.
    • The progression of Tara's relationship with the Oceanside women was jarring. For a community that's so distrusting that they kill on sight, they seemed to welcome Tara with open arms very quickly, even asking her to join them in the same damn day.
    • Just the crazy plot-armor Tara had the entire ep. A handful of times she should have died, but was saved by amazingly incompetent walkers, miraculously poor aim by women who otherwise seemed competent?, and Cyndi who seemed to have impeccable Tara-is-in-danger senses. It became a bit ridiculous. At least have Tara outwit or outskill her way out of these situations herself so it's less immersion breaking and believable.

I liked this better than Daryl's bottle episode, but I feel really mixed about it. Too many eye-rolling parts.

2. DarkandStormy

DarkandStormy Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    I gave this an extremely generous 8. I was surprised at how this episode held my interest. I'm not a Tara fan ~ in fact, I've been critical about the fact that major characters were killed and she's still
    around. I also expected the new community to be dull...but I enjoyed Oceanside immensely. If I was alone in a ZA, I'd live there. The fact that they had the advantage of being by the sea, with access to unlimited seafood and a means of escaping a mega herd, was a major drawing card.

AM did okay within her limited range. She's not the worst actress TWD has ever had for sure. A little of her goes a long way. Sydney Park, on the other hand, is very expressive and she's one person I wouldn't mind joining Rick's group. I've already started shipping Cyndie with Carl. He liked older women (Beth, lol). But yeah, someone who's a great shot, who's compassionate and wise, would fit in quite nicely with Rick and Co. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this to happen.

One thing that bugged me was seeing Tara's boobs flopping as she ran. Holy cow, she needed a more supportive bra! I realize there are some who enjoyed the view, but all I could think about was how uncomfortable that had to be.

I'm wondering if the reason there was no emotional outpouring when Tara learned of the deaths was because AM couldn't pull it off. There was definitely something missing in that scene. Even Rosita's "I'm sorry" seemed detached.

I never would've expected another cliffhanger, so soon. I wish I cared about Heath's whereabouts, but either he'll show up, or he won't.

One last thing. I wasn't impressed with the sand walkers. Z Nation's "puppies and kittens" are far scarier and faster. TWD needs to up its zombie game.

coffeebean, Barbarossa-TWD and sharky like this.
  3. candi18z

candi18z Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    I liked the episode more than I thought I would. I guess that I enjoyed the episode because I had such low expectations for it. Although I was pleasantly surprised by this episode, I hope that this is the last bottle episode for a while.

4. Carribean_Queen

Carribean_Queen Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    3 and that's being generous.

5. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

By the same token, people that view this show negatively will also have some bias in their rating as well. It's all subjective you know?

Personally, I have never viewed TWD the way some have as a show on par with shows that are widely critically acclaimed. It's always been my favorite since I started watching it despite its weaknesses that imo have existed from the very beginning so when I rate this show, my rating is given based on the kind of show it is and not what I wish it was.

I think a lot of the salt and hate is because people have put this show on a level it never belonged on to begin with and they judge it in that vein. The show just has too many inconsistencies and it always has to ever be put on that kind of pedestal. I've seen a lot of comments about how the show could be this and it should be that...well maybe it just isn't :denise:

There are levels to everything...and a show can be good and entertaining and not be brilliant or the best... so for me, when I give TWD a 10, it's not a Breaking Bad 10. It's a TWD 10.

I will say that for the standouts, (AL, DG, LJ and MMB) the acting is the only thing consistent in terms of quality and all of those actors have given many performances at the same level of actors on those type of shows that consistently deliver. I usually give TWD episodes with those actors in it a higher rating because they always just make the show better, even with shitty writing.

6. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 10.

I was not bored at all. I have my faves but I honestly enjoy these kinds of episodes if they aren't a snore, which this was not. Even my husband, who has only watched a few episodes of TWD and hates the gore, perked up when he caught a glimpse of a beach scene. He was intrigued and said it was good seeing something different.

Loved the Oceanside community and their backstory is heartbreaking. Is Negan gonna die?? Because with each passing episode, we find out more horrifying deeds the Saviors have done. Killing children?? I thought he didn't kill kids, unless one of Negan's sick lieutenants did that without his knowledge? In any case he's responsible.

I get Heath's angst.

My only mild gripe is Tara grief. I kind of get not making it a huge deal since we're in episode 5, but just a tiny bit of intensity from her would have been nice. But I could tell she was effected and perhaps numb.

I don't think she'll ever give up Oceanside so it'll be interesting to see how they come into play.

7. sharky

Walker Pets:
    I think we're meant to believe that Negan didn't have anything to do with the execution of the males. Oceanside never once referred to Negan by name, and if he was involved... being the boisterous "character" he is and clearly the leader, he would have been brought up. Oceanside is probably like a Hilltop, irrelevant enough that Negan never went in person, and someone like Simon was given free reign and went too far. Something I hope we see in the future is Negan being confronted about this, and finding out Negan punished the saviors responsible.

8. NeeCee81

NeeCee81 Den Mother
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a 3. I liked the all female community but episode was still meh. I think it could've been cut between Oceanside and the main group. At this point I am over all of the bottle episodes and newbies (although I liked Rachel and Sydney).

9. mellowalkerstalker

mellowalkerstalker Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    I'm downgrading it officially to a 5. just tried re-watching it and 11 mins in, I'm too bored to continue haha.

NeeCee81 likes this.
  10. Belle

Belle Perpetual notion machine - what if...
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    This one gets a 7 from me. I came to this episode with low expectations and for the first time this season, I didn't read up on spoilers. There just wasn't any time. All I knew before hand was that this would be yet another single threaded episode featuring Tara and Health - neither of whom I care much about.

I was pleasantly surprised by a few things:
    • Tara's funny, quirky personality was great. I know that chick - and she's definitely someone I would hang out with. She was so much more relatable to me for some reason.
    • A new community?!? I had no idea we'd get yet another one so soon. It was a nice little surprise and Cindy was great (might she compete with Enid for Carl's affection some day?? hmmmm....)
    • Sand walkers were super creative. No, it made no sense to me that they'd be on the bridge. Yes, the staging and the action sequence was ....what's the kindest way to put this....lacking. But, points for new school walkers.
    • Answers - we got answers. And I kind of liked the answers we got. What happened to the men? Negan. I liked this because it wasn't just a community of men hating chicks. Why are they killing everyone they come across? Fear. Cruel but clear plan. Why would they trust Tara so quickly and agree to work with her/ASZ? They don't. Good for them for them for trying to give her a chance to stay. Tara probably should have said yes - then make a run for it after a few days. But - I was okay with things as they went down.
    Were there problems - omg - yes!
    • The bridge fall stunt was hard to watch. Pretty much everything on the bridge sucked except for the look of the sand walkers.
    • Time - always time. Weren't they driving for 2 weeks - but she walks back to the ASZ in what...a few days? Meh.
    • A lot of the staging in the show looked off to me. Whoever directed this didn't impress me.
    • Single story episodes are a real drag on the show.
    I will say that at this point in the season I would expect to feel more excited about what's to come. But, this season...not so much. I'm not dreading the end of 7A and lamenting the fact that we only have two more episodes to go. That can't be a good sign. I hope they wow me in the next two shows.

11. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I gave it a seven...it was interesting in an odd sort of way. I was happy to see the new community. The knowledge that the world us bigger, per Jesus and Glenn, was a positive. The dilemma that Heath expressed was honest. The thing for me was the raising of more questions than were answered. More to the reason the men and boys were killed? Were they taken, forced to become Saviors. Where were they before/how close to that outpost? Where did they get all the guns?...I know after the turn there were guns everywhere, but they have a lot of guns. Which is good, though. That will eventually help Team Family...I hope. I wonder what happened to Heath? Is he still in that area looking for Tara? I hope the women don't kill him if he happens onto Oceanside. I was really trying to figure out the way all this was going to tie in with Team Fam. It makes me a little anxious. (I keep feeling like the focus of the episodes this season seem to be a call back to an erpisode about/featuring Glenn? *The Well*; The Cell*, etc.? Tara has a secret just like Glenn had at the farm. He told his secrets, knowing Lori was pregnant and that the walkers were in the barn... I wonder if she will.) I really liked Cindy. She would be a great addition to Rick's group. I think she will want to join them. How many does that make now?...the ones who can't/won't kill? I think this will come into major play after/when Negan gets his comeuppance. It was good as a way of letting us know that this resource is out there.

Belle and Barbarossa-TWD like this.
  12. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I'm hoping she is just waiting for Rick or Michonne to come back.

Katbird likes this.
  13. Nicholas

Nicholas Walker Bait

Walker Pets:
    I see your point, but if Glenn had to kill he would. He didn't have to kill Nicholas in the woods, so he didn't. If Nicholas would have kept attacking him I think Glenn would have killed him. Glenn just tried to keep his humanity by not killing unless he truly had to.

Katbird likes this.
  14. sharky

Walker Pets:
    Good point. Rosita is ready to martyr herself for any cause against Negan, I wouldn't tell her squat. She isn't thinking rationally at all.

mellowalkerstalker and Katbird like this.
  15. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki " I'm gonna try "
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    My thoughts exactly!