1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Ratings Decline Again

Discussion in '7x04: Service' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I think you do have a good point although I find that utterly ridiculous and it is to time to reevaluate what you find important in life. I also think some people simply want action/mayhem, not the slower pace episodes

Tisha Grimes likes this.
  2. Silas

Silas Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I've always wondered if maybe the previous week's episode can put a drain on the current episode. Sometimes if I'm really unimpressed with an episode of a show I'm watching, it makes me far less likely to watch next week (even if next week is better). Or maybe I'm reaching. I'll be curious to see next week's number.

I wonder what will happen when/if the day comes when TWD isn't the highest rated show on Sunday nights.

3. Flower1petals

Flower1petals Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    I am the same way.

4. Armte

Armte I Drink and I Know Things
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts of Atlanta hunting down 712 footage
    Custom Banner
    Silas I was just popping in to mention I think thats the problem. The audience really wanted to see the aftermath after the lucille death and how team family was coping. Instead they get two episodes focused on people not involved in the line up or didn't care about TF. I think some of the audience lost interest and will instead wait so they can binge the episodes mid season. I have notice more people say they can't stand to watch this show live because of the pacing, overuse of bottle episodes and AMC abuse of commercials.

I thought AMC would have taken notice of the complaints about this show and those complaints are getting pretty loud but I guess not.

5. Cousin Peaches

Cousin Peaches Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    There's too much focus on Negan and Saviors. They've been in every.single.episode this season. I've been tired of Negan, strutting around like a demented Foghorn Leghorn torturing Rick and TF. A character like Negan works best in small doses. Also, they need more Rick, Michonne, Grimes 2.0 and TF together. But I doubt AMC is too worried because the ratings are great for a show in its seventh season. The ratings could be even stronger if they made some changes though.

6. FLNatural

FLNatural Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    this is :hot:

7. FLNatural

FLNatural Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    Your avatar is mesmerizing...Danai looks gorgeous. I really can't stop staring.

nat_richonne and msbold1 like this.
  8. Deep_Ricking

Deep_Ricking I like it raw.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    They made a misstep with doing two bottle episodes back to back.

9. Jim Bronson

Jim Bronson Walker Bait

Walker Pets:
    If they get under 10 million, AMC will probably get scared.

10. lanielove

lanielove Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I think that the 11 million plus should be considered the "average" for a TF episode. I really think AMC's believing the hype about Carol and Daryl. But what they don't realize is that the Carol and Daryl that people enjoy are always "with" TF not with out them.

What is true is that the viewership is always consistently higher when Rick, Michonne and Carl are in the episodes.

I'm I wrong? Someone please pull the numbers for the episodes in seasons 3 - 6. Let's break it down, cuz if viewership was as low for "the cell" and "the well" then it'll be AMC will hear crickets for the Heath and Tara bottle episode.

FLNatural, slade3, Leannan and 3 others like this.
  11. Cherish

Cherish Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    I will be honest I haven't watched since episode 7x02. I will tune back in once Negan is put in his place. I don't want to watch TF and Rick suffer. Sorry.

FLNatural and tuswig like this.
  12. nat_richonne

nat_richonne Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    In the back pocket of Michonne's tight jeans.
    That she is. One of my favorite photos of Danai. :)

Does anyone think Gimple will be replace if rating continues to drop?

FLNatural and msbold1 like this.
  13. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Bottomline, they grossly overestimated Negan's appeal. Fans of the comics are a vastly different consumer than fans of the show, despite the fact they they overlap. They should have kept things centered on Rick+TF.

14. Lennykae

Lennykae Scott Gimple is the Janet Evanovich of TV.
    Patron

Walker Pets:

It's funny bc when Gimple talked about him at an event here in Feb (back before 6B started), he said something like don't expect him every episode. I heard him say that and assumed he was trying to temper expectations. This is the opposite of what he said.

FLNatural and Denie39 like this.
  15. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I don't know if the show overestimated Negan's appeal as much as they overestimated JDM's ability to play Negan and/or the writers ability to give him good material that translates well to tv (hopefully that makes sense). Comic Negan is extra and over the top, but it works well. He really is the perfect mix of charm and humor yet can be menacing and downright terrifying at the same time. JDM just doesn't do it for me. He talks like a college frat boy and lacks a strong physical presence (sorry but the fact that his jeans sort sag at his hip and has a flat ass bothers me lol); I really wish JDM would have bulked up a bit more for the role. Also his body language, the constant leaning back ( I guess to emphasize a point) is annoying as well as his enunciation of every single word he speaks. Last, he just talks waaaay too much, stop saying what you're going to do and just do it!

16. richonnelove

richonnelove Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Negan is a bully in man's body that talks like a 13 year old that has the vocabulary and appeal of fart jokes and ability to wield cuss words at will. On top of that he wields a baseball bat that bashes people's head in and makes him the big boy in town to be feared. Sounds like a young and immature mind's wet dream and a turn off for people looking for more interesting and sophisticated fare.

The TV show is writing Negan as he is presented in the comics, but the majority of the viewers for the TV show do not have that young boy/immature fanboy mindset. Those viewers would not appreciate comic Negan either because he appeals to the immature crass nature that some find funny. Many of the Negan lovers are the same ones I see claiming all over social media how great Negan is because he says such awesome things and everyone fears him and does what he says and Rick is (excuse my language as I'm only relating what's said) such a wuss and a pussy and weak and needs a tampon and he needs to be killed off or not be a leader anymore. Negan is the true star of TWD, strong and in charge. Due to their lack of understanding of what makes a real man (Rick does not speak like a kid finally able to use cuss words so it becomes his main vocabulary and does not serve himself and shit on other people for fun), they are rooting for Rick to be defeated in the end and for Negan to be the new lead of the show. The majority of the TV viewers want Negan off their screen and for Rick to rise up and get rid of this teen like overgrown bully.

There are exceptions I have seen of variant Negan fans, like women who are attracted to JDM and some who have the same mindset of the comic fanboys and view Rick's strength and submission for the sake of love as weakness but they are not the majority of views I have seen in regards to Negan.

The all out sale and promotion of Negan as the face of TWD, after years of it being Rick Grimes, and the lack of focus on TF after the LV and the grating and annoying dependence on bottle episodes featuring only TPTB 2 favorite characters most of the time, it's just one misstep after another. People are annoyed, fed up and bored. Keep them there too long and it will get harder and harder for more to return after they take their breaks.

I have taken breaks from this show before but the last time I almost never came back. Richonne brought me back, but the underuse of them almost made me leave again. I did not watch episodes 702 & 703, leaving it for later when on Netflix next year if I feel like filling in the blanks, but it's whatever. I can see many leave watching the rest of the season this way too once they saw it would be all about Negan and they did not get to check in on TF after the premiere.

17. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think it is because people hate seeing the group so broken. Episode 2 thru 4 have not been as high as they expected. I don't think it has anything to do with certain characters in the episodes. People are used to seeing the group on top and kicking ass but this season is nothing but TF getting kicked in the teeth. People can say the Carol and Daryl bottle episodes bomb but episode 4 bombed then too.

18. richonnelove

richonnelove Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Yes, it bombed, but what would anyone expect after two disatisfactory episodes back to back after that brutal premiere? Disatisfactory based mostly on the fact that there was no follow up on the aftermath of the clearing but unrelated bottle episodes instead.

People wanted to see Rick, Maggie and Sasha and everyone else that was there go to Hilltop, then Alexandria and mourn, bury the ones lost. What did they get? Gimple trotting out his bottles instead. By the time he returned to some of the TF LV victims at Alexandria, many viewers had checked out and the consistent decline after each consequent episode supports this.

19. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That is your opinion but from what I have seen in the like 20 TWD groups I belong too. Most people just hate seeing the group beat to hell with no end in sight. I am sure I am wrong about it but that is what I am getting from hundreds and hundreds of people I have talked to about it.

gmc_vitamind and Denie39 like this.
  20. richonnelove

richonnelove Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    You are not wrong. That is a huge factor also, but not the only factor.

FLNatural, tuswig, Denie39 and 2 others like this.