1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Ratings Decline Again

Discussion in '7x04: Service' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 15, 2016.

1. vaberella

vaberella Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    I kept complaining about it since he first entered. Everyone loved him. I was like this guy talks too damn much and it reached a point I thought he was rambling on and on and on and on. He was not an interesting character----very two-dimensional. The actor is great, but the characterization and the verbiage they give him is weak and pathetic. I have a dislike of him that may match everyone's dislike of Daryl....of course he's still not on my shit list like Enid. God, God, God I hate and abhor Enid's character.

FLNatural and nat_richonne like this.
  2. Mousey

Mousey Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Eh, I'm not exactly scared by this, not yet anyway, for reasons already articulated by others.

I don't even think the fall = bad episode, in this case, since 704 is definitely more watchable than 703. When episodes that were actually bad in season 5 and 6 did better with the numbers, yeah, more factors are at play beyond bad content alone.

I can understand why Americans aren't running to the TV for live viewings right now because it's depressing, even without the election disaster unfolding before our eyes -- and when you take into account how much of the viewer base watches it for "badass" antics and the like, yeah, not surprising in the least.

Danaisbestie and Gooey Goobert like this.
  3. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Is Westworld eating into ratings?

4. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Westworld gets around 2 million total viewers compared to the 16 millionish TWD gets (once you add in +3 ratings) so I don't think so because that would mean Westworld isn't starting out with much of their own viewing base at all.

5. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Thanks I haven't watched it and saw some talking about how good it is so was wondering.

Danaisbestie likes this.
  6. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Westworld is good. I've been watching but still out TWD first and watch WW on demand. I still don't think enough people are tuned in live to WW to account for a huge TWD ratings drop. I do think WW could have more impact in future seasons.

7. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    Westworld is an excellent show but considering that it is only in its first season, I wouldn't say that it is serious competition for TWD...yet.

8. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts Atlanta hunting down 712 Director's Cut
    Custom Banner
    Off topic but when you add all HBO platforms Westworld is averaging over 11 million viewers per episode. It is out performing the early seasons of GoT. Which makes me happy because I love this new show.

lovingdead and tuswig like this.
  9. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    That's awesome! I heard that Westworld has already been mapped out for atleast 5 seasons :)

lovingdead and Armte like this.
  10. FLNatural

FLNatural Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    :holdheart::hot::bravo::hug: :ripme:

This has to be the most amazing post I have ever read. It sums up exactly how I feel about this show (written much more eloquently than I ever could). You were spot on about everything in your analysis. I had to read this a few times because it was so good.

11. walkinggirl26

walkinggirl26 Rick's Right-Hand Woman
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Exactly. And I don't know why they think going for multiple episodes without Rick, you know, the guy that's the actual lead is a great idea. It's not and has been proven over and over again when they started doing it in Season 4 once the prison fell. I don't know if it's the budget and they're trying to save money or they're trying to be clever or I just don't know anymore. Like it or not, the numbers don't lie that Rick/Michonne/Carl episodes are some of TWD's highest rated review wise and viewer wise except the one last week, which brings in @Tisha Grimes' point that people just don't want to see Rick and TF all broken and separated and having to bow to Negan, which imo he was way OTT in last week's episode, but I was there for Rick/Michonne/Carl/Rosita/Eugene/FG/Aaron to see how they were faring after the first episode, and I think it was a misstep as well to do two BEs after the premiere without showing the aftermath and how TF was handling it instead, to just completely ignore them. They could have went back and forth and did both, TF and the Sanctuary or TF and the Kingdom or even a BE with just the ASZ and/or Hilltop would have been better imo.

You would have thought they learned that lesson from Season 6 when they did the episodes with little to no TF and it was mostly the ASZers who nobody was really invested in but maybe Deanna and Aaron, but we still didn't need to have a whole episode of just them, which resulted in Now, which is one of the lowest rated episodes of that season and definitely the worst reviewed by the media and on Rotten Tomatoes by the fans. I mean, somebody at AMC has to be paying attention to this; right? I don't want to see a BE with just Negan and his band of merry pervs. So far I don't like any of them, and I don't see it changing any time soon. I guess they threw in Daryl to make that episode more palatable, but it just made me hate them all the more or just indifferent to what happened with them, even the ones I guess we were supposed to feel sympathy for like Dwight and Sherry. A little of Negan goes a long way. The GA wants to see Daryl but with TF, with Rick, with Carol as someone said upthread. Same for Carol and Morgan. They could have split it up with them and Hilltop with Maggie and Sasha or Rick and Michonne at the ASZ. It shouldn't be that hard to do, is it? Looks like the next episode is more of a balance with some ASZ and Hilltop and Carl and Enid, so it can be done. Bottom line, most of the GA are invested in TF and even more so when they're all together and that's who they want to see. I have no doubt that the numbers will go back up once TF starts to get the upper hand again and there's more balance, but the numbers do spike noticeably for MSF and SP and SF episodes usually when TF is all together. Duh!

12. ReeciePiecey

ReeciePiecey Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    You have some really good points @walkinggirl26. I loved this last episode and it makes me sad that people didn't like it or didn't tune in live but I understand why. They could have combined the necessary plots of episodes 2 and 3 in episode 2 and got us back to ASZ and Hilltop in episodes 3 and 4 and given the rest of the exposition as a and b plots of other episodes. So that we could get back to the main story line faster for better emotional impact and understanding of character motivations.

Its only been three days for Rick and Crew since the lineup but its been 3 weeks for us and it feels like we have seen more than 3 days in the timeline at the Kingdom and the Sanctuary. Carol was passed out for two days. Then she had a few days of gaining strength and Morgans whole story line with the pigs happened when she was awake again. Also the montages made it seem like Daryl experienced at least 4-5 days at the Sanctuary. This is a flaw in the storytelling, it was obvious they switched episodes two and three because we ended episode 3 with Daryl looking strong and not broken and we are supposed to believe that in less than a few hours he is broken down and obedient enough to take a trip to ASZ?

Its harder for the audience to relate to where Rick and crew are now. If you can keep in mind that its only been 3 days your more sympathetic to the shock they have experienced but it seems like its been a week or two, which really impacts how you perceive Rick's actions and viewer patience with seeing the main characters oppressed. Maybe tv could get away with using this outdated manipulative storytelling in the past but now that we have Netflix and streaming tv, audiences don't have time for the games. which will definitely affect ratings.

13. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Actually what cut into the ratings this past Sunday was the 60 Minutes interview with the President-Elect.

lovingdead likes this.