1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Ratings down despite no World Series competition [Ratings]

Discussion in '7x03: The Cell' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    I don't want this show to suffer. I do hope AMC pays attention to which episodes resonate with the audience. Hopefully the next few episodes will make everyone invested again. I think people do want to see TF again. I know I do.

2. Mischonne

Mischonne Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I also think Westworld is a contributing factor to lower ratings. Now there's an alternative for viewers who like sci fi/horror.

Even I've watch the show and I find it intriguing but I don't really care about anybody. I just like the mystery of it.

msbold1 and lovingdead like this.
  3. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    I'm digging WestWorld even though it's confusing. I still prioritize TWD but can understand if others don't.

4. Mischonne

Walker Pets:
    Me too. My loyalty is to walking dead.

Yeah it's confusing and for me no one is truly likable.

lovingdead likes this.
  5. Lilly965

Lilly965 Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Do you think they will be higher or lower?

6. Lilly965

Lilly965 Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I think they should've made episode 4 episode 3 and episode 3 episode 4.
    Audience would be surprised to see the condition of Daryl and get to see the emotional impact of episode 1 sooner.

Then episode with the sanctuary and Daryl could be a flashback to see what happened to him and might pick up more viewers.

I think the ratings is down to the show pacing and TPTB not understanding what the audience wants to see and in what order.

7. Mischonne

Walker Pets:
    I hope the ratings increase. I want to see the end of a Richonne's story.

lovingdead likes this.
  8. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Not sure. I just want to see if it is the bottle episodes that are killing the ratings. Or if it's the show in general.

winter and lovingdead like this.
  9. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    Do we know ratings for last year's bottle episodes? I'm not sure if I'm surprised or not that a Negan/Daryl bottle was the worst rated so far. People say the Daryl bottles never do that great but I don't keep up. What's more interesting is if people don't care enough about Negan to tune in.

I kind of feel like after such an intense premiere the bottles were a mistake as the next two episodes.

winter likes this.
  10. chasus

chasus Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I agree to do 2 bottle episodes back to back was not the right step. Plus we won't even get to see maggie and says until episode 5!! if anything they could have merged episode 2 and 3 together because the sanctuary did not need an hour long episode to itself

11. Valerie

Valerie It must have been a good night...
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    We dealt with the premiere we lost 2 family members, I got no patience for bottle episodes. The ratings are not that bad but 2 bottle episodes back to back was just too much for me. I'm just glad we'll finally se how the family is doing this Sunday

lovingdead likes this.
  12. Deep_Ricking

Deep_Ricking I like it raw.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Pacing has always been this shows problem. It stales the story. If the staling was more interesting, people wouldn't notice.

mellowalkerstalker and msbold1 like this.
  13. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Maybe it's cause of the way I'm feeling right now but I won't be surprise if next week's rating is the same or worst than this week's ratings. There are millions of people who are probably not going to be in the mood to see their favorites characters be beat down by a guy who just killed two fan favorites because he could.

SweetDee85, msbold1 and Vivis like this.
  14. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The Well added a few million to their ratings after DVR numbers were added in. The cell will also have a bump from DVR viewers.

15. Lilly965

Lilly965 Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
  16. QueenofPeace

QueenofPeace Guts.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I don't pay much attention to ratings for shows I like, but I always thought its normal for ratings to decrease after the opening episode? Since TWD opened to such massive numbers it's decrease would also seem larger. But I do also suspect it has to do with the general hatred of bottle episodes. While I probably don't hate bottles as much as most viewers (for example, I loved Clear and Here's Not Here), I think they abuse them. Maybe have one or two bottle episodes for the entire season, but not half of the season episodes should be bottles.

For this season IMO I think we should have gotten one bottle episode focusing on the Sanctuary, following Negan and Carl (yes, I think the storyline should have gone to Carl), and then maybe a Kingdom episode. The Hilltop can be shown along with ASZ in episodes with A plot and B plots alternatively to push forward the story each episode. Also, I think the order in which they decided to start with the bottles is poor choice. Too soon. Everyone wants to see TF, and having two bottles right after another is too much. Episode 2 could have remained a bottle on the Kingdom since it wrapped up the other plot from LDOE and showed us what happened to Carol/Morgan, but episode 3 definitely should have followed TF again. Finally, why is Tara getting a bottle episode? What the hell??? Give her a B plot in an episode focused on TF or something. She does not need an entire 60 minute episode dedicated to her travels. Such an odd choice.

#36 QueenofPeace, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  17. Lennykae

Lennykae Scott Gimple is the Janet Evanovich of TV.
    Patron

Walker Pets:

That's kind of what I think. Maybe a small uptick or the same just bc we get to see Rick again. As well as a more direct look into the aftermath of Glenn and Abe's death. I am not a fan Rickless episodes. That drove me batty and almost away in 4B.

As to the second part. YES. I'm sure most would take TF interacting w/each other dealing with what happened, than yet another episode of Negan abusing them. He can't do this every week he's on.

Both of these were great episodes, and even though a lot of ppl were thrown off by HNH, I think it was necessary even if it was probably missplaced in the lineup. Other than those two, a lot of BE eps feel like SG just doesn't know how to balance an episode. Then it messes with the timeline bc all of a sudden, a month's worth of eps may only cover less than a week's time.

18. mellowalkerstalker

mellowalkerstalker Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    I was not surprised to see that ratings fell for this episode, I kind of expected it. The consensus amongst my twitter friends (i don't know many people outside twitter who actually watch twd) was that they didn't want to see Daryl, Dwight and Negan, they wanted to see TF. Like pretty much everyone has said, 2 bottle episodes back to back was a mistake. We wanted to see how the rest of the lineup were doing, because let's face it, they just had a traumatic experience, they just lost two of their own in a brutal fashion, a child was basically threatened, and of course we love these characters so so much.

Most of the GA don't care about Dwight, or at least they dislike him because of what he did to Daryl and Denise, and most don't even remember who Sherry was. She was in ONE episode more than half a season ago ffs! I had to explain to my sister who she was lol. So why give us an episode of them instead of TF? Like someone above said, that episode could have been 7x04, as a flashback of what happened to Daryl before Negan's first visit to ASZ.

And I don't think people are taking well to Negan. He talks too much, he talks like a 13 year old boy, he's over the top - all complaints i've seen online which i have to agree with to be honest! His character does not translate well to screen. Plus he just killed off two great characters, which gives people even less of a reason to like him or to want to watch the show. Again, i know people online who haven't seen any of the episodes since the premiere, and that's mostly because of how the show has treated Glenn. One person told me they had no desire or pull to watch it anymore, so it makes me wonder how many others feel that way.

Norman Reedus isn't a bad actor but he can't really pull off an episode by himself either, especially when he only had 3 lines of dialogue in the whole thing. He's not a great "face actor" like AL, DG, SMG, LC, etc, so without dialogue - IMHO - he doesn't really convey much emotion. Also it didn't help that you could barely see his face because of the long hair and bad lighting. That kind of ruined the episode for me. The only time I actually felt anything was when he started crying over Glenn. And sorry, this seems to be turning into yet another review for the episode haha. I need to start a blog.

I almost didn't watch 7x03 myself. Up until the night before I was saying I wasn't going to watch it lol. But I decided I had to because I love TWD and I don't like missing out episodes. Even if I hadn't seen it live, I would have watched it eventually.

19. ShadowSixx

ShadowSixx Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    TWD episodes are better when it features multiple family members not just one person. As writers can see mopey Daryl and frat boy Negan aren't strong enough to hold en episode on their own. Maybe fans are now taking the blinders off when it comes to Daryl since he caused Glenn's death and maybe some are just not caring for Daryl anymore. I know I have since he arrived in ASZ.

It's still strong numbers but writers now should see from the reviews from multiple sites that Daryl episodes always have the word boring in them. I read a couple of reviews for Cell and yeah most of them say boring. We wanna see how the group is as a whole not one person, the group took a huge loss and it will affect Maggie, Sasha, Rick, & Rosita either for the good or bad. I'm just hoping Sasha doesn't become reckless like she did after Tyreese & Bob's deaths.

SweetDee85 likes this.
  20. candi18z

candi18z Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    It is not rocket science, by now AMC should know that the GA wants to see all of TF in each episode. TWD episodes need to go back to the way they told stories in season 1-3. TF was shown almost in every episode and Rick was the center of every storyline. There is nothing wrong with an episode focusing on supporting characters or new characters as long as TF are featured in the episode. If Gimple insists on doing bottle episodes, he should do about one a season. The episode should air before the midseason finale and all of TF should be featured in some capacity.