1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Ratings Holding Steady; beats "JSS" from last year

Discussion in '7x02: The Well' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    From Deadline:

Coming off the rich hype of the cliffhanger resolving Season 7 premiere of last week, it was inevitable that The Walking Dead was going to take a ratings hit on Sunday. Add to that the zombie apocalypse blockbuster was fighting a massively watched World Series Game 5 that had Chicago on edge if the Cubs would survive to battle Cleveland another day and the nationally followed Dallas Cowboys vs. the Philadelphia Eagles going into OT on Sunday Night Football and you’ve got some tough terrain.

Still, with all that, the Greg Nicotero directed “The Well” episode of the series based on Robert Kirkman comics snagged 12.5 million total viewers with 7.8 million in the key demo of adults 18-49 for a 6.2 rating. That’s an impressive match demowise for what TWD pulled in for the “JSS” episode of October 18, 2015 – the second show of Season 6 of the AMC series. Noteworthy in today’s linear TV landscape, it is also a small rise of 2.4% in total audience from what the second episode of Season 6 snared.​

Minty, Denie39, Susannah Dean and 4 others like this.
  2. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Glad S7 is doing well so far. <insert Jerry emoji>

Also, GN directed this episode? Something seemed different.

3. anya7890

anya7890 Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    He stopped huffing paint along with Scott gimple.

4. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Whatever helps him direct better. :negan:

5. Mousey

Mousey Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    So many GN episodes feel distinct from the others. He's best when he's out of the Safe Zone by far.

And this is honestly surprising, lol. Not that I hated the episode or anything, but yeah, still surprising. I wonder if the sports offerings had anything to do with the uptick? Plus the holiday weekend, since this is a lot later than JSS aired comparatively speaking.

6. balladsinthebluegrass

balladsinthebluegrass Hold to things that are bright.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Glad to hear the ratings are staying strong so far.

Danaisbestie, Denie39 and lovingdead like this.
  7. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Expected as many would've tuned in to see the fall out of SP. Many would've then stuck around to see what Carols been doing and find out about Zeke and Shiva.

8. Mullet of Denial

Mullet of Denial Drowning in an Ocean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    [​IMG]

Gooey Goobert likes this.
  9. Mullet of Denial

Mullet of Denial Drowning in an Ocean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Glad to hear this. I was worried most would figure out that TF wasn't in this one and not tune in.

10. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm thrilled. As a fan of this show, I want to see it succeed and am so happy to see the ratings actually improved over 6.2. As stated above, I too believe that people tuned in to see the Lucille aftermath and then stuck around because Zeke and the Kingdom are new to the show and there was curiosity.

The salt shaker in me wouldn't be raging if the ratings dipped just a tad for 7x3 compared to last year's wonderful 6x3!:gareth:

11. balladsinthebluegrass

balladsinthebluegrass Hold to things that are bright.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The ol' bait and switch, @MamaGrimes!

MamaGrimes likes this.
  12. Caribbeanqueen11

Caribbeanqueen11 Supplier of Mints
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Is this the adjusted ratings? I thought those came out a little later in the week?

Regardless, I agree with @MamaGrimes, I love this show and want it to do well for as long as possible despite my saltiness over certain things.

13. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    deuces

Gooey Goobert likes this.
  14. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    haha, Negan would keep them there though. Daryl could be a fly on the wall, people will be drawn to the big man

ALDGRichonneLover and MamaGrimes like this.
  15. richonnelove

richonnelove Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    https://www.google.com/amp/deadline...sunday-night-football-nfl-mlb-1201845905/amp/

Still, with all that, the Greg Nicotero directed “The Well” episode of the series based on Robert Kirkman comics snagged 12.5 million total viewers with 7.8 million in the key demo of adults 18-49 for a 6.2 rating. That’s an impressive match demowise for what TWD pulled in for the “JSS” episode of October 18, 2015 – the second show of Season 6 of the AMC series. Noteworthy in today’s linear TV landscape, it is also a small rise of 2.4% in total audience from what the second episode of Season 6 snared.

16. richonnelove

richonnelove Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    It's interesting that they call this ratings steady and tout it in comparison to JSS which was episode 2 of season 6.
    Both The Well and JSS show a significant fall in viewership from the premiere numbers and even though a decrease in number is expected, most shows are in the business of trying to retain and grow the viewers they attract during a premiere. No one wants and expects such a severe bleed and The Well and JSS were nowhere close in the ballpark to their respective premiere numbers. A drop of 5 million viewers for The Well and a drop of over 2 million for JSS is not "steady". There is a common thread or rather "mistake" that keeps occuring, but I fully expect the showrunner to ignore it as it does not align up with his prefered indulgences.

There is precedence that it is possible to grow or at least retain a significant amount of viewers after a premiere and mid-season premiere. Episode 610 retained almost all the viewership numbers from the mid-Season premiere. Although there are many variables that affect ratings, I would expect the show would take into account what works and what doesn't and at least try something different than what they've been recycling the past 4 years. Instead I see the same course of action being perpetrated like a bull in a China shop. Same crap, different day as they say.

tuswig likes this.
  17. Kordas

Kordas Den Mother
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah, I wouldn't call a 27% drop in viewership "steady". That means that 1 of every 4 people that watched the premiere didn't tune into 7x02. I expect the ratings to fall even more next week, as people were possibly expecting to see the aftermath of the premiere and instead they saw a completely separate storyline.

tuswig and richonnelove like this.
  18. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Premiere bleed off is normal though. It happens to almost every show.

19. Kordas

Kordas Den Mother
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Sure, but 27% is still a lot. I think we'll really be able to compare this season to the last one around episode 4 or 5. People who tuned in only because of the cliffhanger will once again go away by then and we'll see how many people really follow the show as compared to the last season. I'm expecting the number to drop to about 11 million (though of course I'm no expert so I might be wrong).

20. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    First off, a lot of the people who saw the SP were only drawn to it because of the hype and weren't longtime fans. Many longtime fans were turned off by the SP, especially if their faves were Abe and Glenn. So from that, the dip is to be expected. What I am interested in is: "What were the numbers for season 6? " It would be interesting to do a season comparison.