1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Ratings Lowest Since Season 3

Discussion in '7x05: Go Getters' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    More bad ratings news:

According to live+same-day data posted by Showbuzz, Sunday’s “TWD” drew a 5.17 adults 18-49 rating and 11.00 million total viewers. The numbers trail the 5.43 million rating and 11.40 million viewer sum garnered by the previous episode.​

Source: Headline Planet

The hemorrhage continues.

2. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    11.00 Yikes.

Good morning, AMC, this is your wakeup call.

I wonder how low they'll get if they continue to drop. Also makes AMC's tricky "weeks ahead" promo on Sunday much more telling.

3. Mullet of Denial

Mullet of Denial Drowning in an Ocean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    [​IMG]

Doubt next week's episode will see an increase. :omg:

4. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:

That is the episode order I would've done to keep mometum

anya7890 likes this.
  5. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    This isn't good. Isn't the bottle episode with Tara and Heath next week? This is gonna get worse before it gets better.

6. Gekari

Gekari Garbage Purring Kitty ि०॰०ॢी
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I wonder if the Dvr numbers increased compared to S6.

7. FLNatural

FLNatural Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    Yep, it's about Heath and Tara and the 3rd episode this season I'll be skipping. Not sure how they haven't gotten the hint...they need to stop with these bottle episodes. They need to tell simultaneous stories in each episode. The characters don't have to be the same place, but we need to see what's going on with them each episode. This bottle episode crap started with Gimple and he needs to cut it out. Also, the writing is so simplistic...it's like this dialogue is written by a middle school student. They are spending a lot of time on new characters that no one knows or cares about. And it's really boring for the most part. There is hardly any action or suspense anymore. Just a bunch of people standing around talking to each other. There was a long boring conversation between Xander and the Savior guy. I couldn't have given less of shit about what they were talking about (did they actually stand there looking at a painting??). If it weren't for Richonne, I would not watch this show. I never watch it live on Sunday night. I find myself fast-forwarding through most of it the next day. Based on the ratings, looks like a lot of people are doing this.

8. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I assume a lot of people record it nowadays as well. It's not Must See anymore. Expected for a show in its seventh season.

9. Lennykae

Lennykae Scott Gimple is the Janet Evanovich of TV.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    SMH.

I wonder if Gimple and Co are nervous about the "left turn that has nothing to do with the story" that we've got coming up. What does that even mean?

10. FLNatural

FLNatural Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    I think it's because they've changed the original premise of the show. It use to be about a core group of survivors in the ZA. Now the cast is way too big and they focus on characters that a lot of people don't like or care about (Negan, for one). Way too many filler episodes too. The only must-see episodes that will get people watching live are the premieres and finales (season and mid-season). They are action-packed and always move the story along. That's what people want to see. Many of the other episodes fail to achieve these goals.

11. msbold1

msbold1 Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    I swear you put every grievance I have with this show in this paragraph. YES!!! I said this before, season 3 was the first time we had 2 separate groups but they never just focused on ONE. And if they did you better believe that Rick was also at the center of the episode. They showed both groups within the same episode and that's why the audience stayed interested. Also like you said the dialogue is horrid now, just talking in riddles and monologues. I miss when they talked like regular people. And the cast is too damn big, I mean there are like 4 fucking groups now, each with more new characters that will get little to no development. I mean hell, they haven't even fully developed the core cast yet aside from Carol. Also the main factor is that now the show isn't from Rick's pov, which was supposed to be the core of the story, but because of TPTB trying to make fetch happen with some members of the supporting cast, we have this mess. I watch Westworld live and catch TWD the next day, and even then I'm just skipping to my faves.

#11 msbold1, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  12. MrsG

MrsG Licking Rick clean.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I agree with a lot of the comments in this thread. Too many bottle episodes, and too much Negan (he's not the draw they thought he'd be). They need to focus on TF with Rick at the helm. I watch for my beloved Rick and it's frustrating when I don't see him for weeks on end. I'm a faithful viewer and watch live
    every week but it's not always easy. I have
    faith the numbers will turn around, especially the back 8 when Rick and Co. get their mojo back. They have great assets in Rick, Michonne, Richonne, Daryl and TF. Keep focus on them together and not all split up. They better start rewrites for S8, pronto.

13. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Bottle episodes didn't start under Gimple but the previous show runner ALWAYS had bottle episodes with a major character in it (18 Miles Out) or was a huge introduction to a new setting, new characters, etc. (Walk With Me). And they were used sparingly. We are about to hit three bottle episodes in the first 6 shows of the season. That is a lot all on top of each other. It slowed down the momentum of the show. People needed an intensity break after the premiere. They should have combined the Cell and the Well episodes and then had episode 5 as episode 3 so people would know what happened to Maggie and Sasha. It is obvious that the writers are doing this to drag out the story line not to really develop lasting and memorable characters. Its overindulgent.

That being said, the show is getting up there in age. It just isn't "must see TV" like it used to be. DVR is many people's go to for this show and then they tune in live for premieres and finales. Gimple and co. have trained the general audience to only expect major character deaths at those times during the season.

14. ReeciePiecey

ReeciePiecey Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    A lot of really great points in this thread. The show is in its 7th season. Its really hard to maintain numbers on a show that has no resolution to it. But TPTB have really tried a lot of viewers patience unnecessarily and now they are experiencing the backlash. People that love the show are annoyed and watching other things and catching up later.

I think that the reality is that as long as they keep following the comic so closely people are going to stop watching. The viewing audience is comprised of way more than the comic audience. I feel like even the dialogue follows the comics which is ridiculous, we don't need you to explain what we can see on a screen and real people don't talk like a comic book. I think that following the comics but translating that to real life is what was exciting about the show to begin with now its just so far away from the grounded realism that it began with. Also the cast is entirely too big and people will naturally limit their connection to characters that will just die anyway. I just hope that they focus on the basics of creating an excellent show and don't start chasing the big audiences by continuing to pull stunts.

#14 ReeciePiecey, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  15. Valerie

Valerie Professional procrastinator....
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    and Tara's bottle ep is coming up. I cannot imagine. Hope 7B does better.

16. Chaos

Chaos Michonne licks Rick clean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    All I've got is.... Yikes!:omg:

Next week is Tara too.... Welp:omg:

msbold1 and tuswig like this.
  17. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Agreed

ALDGRichonneLover likes this.
  18. Atributetoorange

Atributetoorange Purple calms the nerves
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It's not a week-to-week show anymore, it kind of morphed into this marathon/binge watch show, when "binged" the story is easier to follow.

I "binged" seasons 1-6 before the new season started and I had a blast.XD

So maybe, this is a reason why ratings are low, because "binge"/marathon shows are starting to be the norm. :-/

19. Minty

Minty Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I'm lazy, so I'm just gonna copy/paste my Reddit post about this in here...

I can think of a few points that may contribute to this drop:
    • The cliffhanger
    • The death of a fan favorite
    • Finally finding a worthy opponent in Westworld to compete with ratings wise
    • Some people just aren't into the Saviors/Negan and think the show became repetitive
    • The past few episodes haven't been that eventful (this point is debatable considering 4B wasn't that eventful and still had stable ratings and the following season had the best numbers in the show)
    • It's season 7, this show is a veteran and most shows' ratings would have started to drop by season 2. TWD is one of the few exceptions in which a show's ratings improved as the seasons went on until it reached its peak (season 5).
    • The flaws in the writing are more apparent by now and some people get tired
    • It's been 6 years, not everyone sticks around with a show for that long
    • There's no ending in sight, no clear path this where the story can take us and I think that might discourage some viewers
    This said, 11 million, seven seasons in and still being one of the most watched shows is a huge accomplishment, specially for cable. This is only worrying if it keeps dropping the entire season instead of stabilizing in the next few weeks.

20. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    After 7.01, I decided to binge watch 7.02-7.07 leading into the msf (which will probably piss me off lol). Like many others have said TWD is no longer "must see" Sunday night viewing for me, it is so formulaic, that not much can no longer surprise me. Also, I have been opting to watch Westworld instead, which just makes TWD look like amateur hour at best.

....also there are quite a few shows that have actually increased in viewership and popularity over the years like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones (not the other way around), so although it is quite normal for a show to decrease in its popularity after several seasons, TWD really doesn't have an excuse....