1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Ratings Lowest Since Season 3

Discussion in '7x05: Go Getters' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mischonne

Mischonne Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    They now have competition (Westworld).
    Once Westworld's season ends. I think there are two episodes left. I think the ratings will rise.

Even I will admit west world just got interesting.

Also the character Negan as a villain overhyped is not that great

#21 Mischonne, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    FLNatural and winter like this.
  2. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Perhaps TWD has reached a point where it will mostly appeal to long term and hardcore fans. I'm fine with that, it's what happened to the other shows that I've liked. I would actually enjoy the show more if the viewership was trimmed down to those that still like it.

3. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Regardless of why it's happening, Im really sad this is happening this season. It's the first full canon season of Richonne, Rick, Michonne and Carl are having the best material they have had in a while and some of the underdeveloped TF members will get some attention. I hate that when the show seems to be changing direction this is the result. I know part of it is due to new competition, 7 year fatigue, pacing issues, death of favorites but I am sad that this really emotional season will be ignored by millions that were fans before. I hope he ratings stabilize. Or maybe this is a good thing and will force TPTB to start signaling a proper and well executed wrap up to the series. I just hope they don't try to pull any stunts to boost interest.

4. balladsinthebluegrass

balladsinthebluegrass Hold to things that are bright.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This news is disheartening because I feel like this season is so much better than Season 6.

5. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I feel like we are getting close to the MSF and I have only seen the lead in depth, twice.

Yes, people will riot if Daryl dies but it seems that people will turn off when Rick isn't seen.

I can't believe we have to go thru yet another bottle with no Rick this Sunday.

It makes no sense they made the premiere this intensive focus on Rick... then we barely see him again.

6. zombie_ronin

zombie_ronin Stay Salty Bi**h!
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yikes :omg: I'm scared now.

7. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Some of you guys made a great point, wrapping this series up. I KNOW AMC wants to have this series go on forever and ever. They would bleed it dry, but in truth it has to end somewhere. My sister is finding it hard to continue slogging through this especially because she feels things are drawn out unnecessarily. She is out after 8 seasons...and honestly, I think a lot of people will be checking out as well. Everyone already knows this Negan story line isn't gonna be over by the end of the season based purely on the pacing of the first half of the season alone. Its exhausting.

vinivre, msbold1 and Barbarossa-TWD like this.
  8. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Not really spoiler but pure speculation with GN spoiler.

In the GN Rick does not kill Negan when he is captured. I am wondering if TPTB at AMC are projecting into the future and think that a rehabilitated Negan could carry the tv series if by chance Rick is killed in 2 years (at the end of AL's contract). I know they want to squeeze every cent out of this series but I can not see AL continuing indefinitely

They keep stressing that it is a whole new world. Rick is becoming almost invisible. I'm beginning to think that they are trying to replace Rick with Negan. Particularly since the new GN is hinting that Rick is dead.

#28 Barbarossa-TWD, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  9. Mischonne

Mischonne Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    I
    I totally agree. It's disheartening.

I feel it has nothing to do Richonne but everything to do with the Negan story overall.

It's brutal to watch human beings be terrible to their fellow man. Maybe it's too real.

msbold1 and FLNatural like this.
  10. AbsoluteTrash

Patron

Walker Pets:
    I'll put this under the spoiler cut just in case.

I totally get where you are coming from. Negan doesn't die in the comics but I don't think that is going to translate well for the TV audience. A lot of people want Negan to die. And the only people I feel that have been vocal about liking Negan are people who are really familiar with the source material. Sure, people may think JDM is cool but not enough to keep him around long after this war plot comes to its conclusion. And if the writing remains the way it has been, I don't see there being more people willing to keep the character around. I think they should kill Negan and end the series there after. That said, I fully expect next season will have Negan focused episodes like the Governor episodes in Season 4 to try and re-orient his character to draw sympathy and support from the audience.

They have been moving from Rick being the lead since the Prison. If they kill him off I expect to see the ratings drop really quickly.

11. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Oh, I agree 100% it will be a huge mistake.

But it sure looks like Rick is a walking dead from the cover of this issue. Then the other cover is just Maggie, baby Hershel and Carl.
    [​IMG]

But at the same time I am guessing that TPTB think that a combination of Daryl and Negan could take over the show. After AL brilliant finale this is who they chose to represent the show on the last Talking Dead of season 6. I think this picture says it all.

[​IMG]
    Frankly, I was already thinking about leaving before we get to the Whisperers because I think that Kirkman is just pulling stuff and thangs out of his butt. I never had an interest in reading the GN because I find them very shallow. Gimple has given flesh to the GN bones.

12. AbsoluteTrash

Patron

Walker Pets:
    This is a bad idea and if they are writing in this direction, I hope its early enough that they can re-write and think about this a little more. I sense it may go in that direction. This season is make or break and I would hope that they understand this drop in the ratings and what is behind it.

Barbarossa-TWD and msbold1 like this.
  13. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm even lazier Minty, so I'm just going to second this post as you've said it all.

The glory days of this show are behind us. I just hope tptb give it a proper ending in a couple of seasons instead of dragging it out for a slow death.

tuswig likes this.
  14. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    If anyone is worried about the ratings? Don't be. The show was already renewed for season 8, and, taking this glass half-full, this could be the shock AMC needs to realize their gimmicks no longer work -- and that it's better to end on a high note than a low one.

Even with all its problems, I still love this show. Sure, it isn't the best show, it has pretty glaring issues at times, but hey. It's my show. (I wouldn't complain if AMC and the writers buckled down a bit though. :lol:)

15. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Im just hoping they don't change course with Richonne at all and realize it's the best thing they have going for them. It just sucks because Maggie is becoming her own person, Carl had his own arc, hell even Judith is growing up and this is the time people are tuning out. Also, this is Andys best acting season yet. There are still issues so I hope they don't mistake what is an issue for what isn't. I do think they have listened to some feedback and it's apparant but things like the odd portrayal of Negan and bottle episodes don't seem like concerns of theirs.

16. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I wouldn't worry about Richonne. I don't think the writers are under the impression that's a problem. If anything, Richonne is one of the stories the show is doing right -- and critics, for the most part, agree.

17. Atributetoorange

Atributetoorange Purple calms the nerves
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this on,but I feel like one of the reasons why shows on HBO do so well is because of the lack of commercials. Besides, HBO being a huge producer of awesomely great television shows (The Sorpranos, Deadwood, Sex and the City, V.E.E.P, Game of Thrones, WestWorld etc.), they don't interrupt their programing. If anything HBO does promotional bumps before and at the end of shows.

It goes back to my previous point which is people love to watch shows with no interruptions--like marathon/"binge" or commercial free. It's like reading a good book, people want to control the pace of the storytelling and who likes it when a story gets interrupted when it's beginning to get good.

I wish there was away for TPTB to count streaming feeds or something like that; the ratings may benefit or not.

IDK, I feel like I am rambling.

Mischonne likes this.
  18. Rhona

Rhona Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I don't think Richonne has a thing to do with the low ratings. I think Richonne is loved by the vast majoiryt of fans. Plus, they are featured as a couple about 3% of eps so no.
    It has to stem, partially, from Negan and TF not being able to fight back. A few people at work who are very invested in the show have stopped watching. When I asked why they said they cannot handle Rick not being able to fight and Negan taking the reins. They hate Negan and his crew so much and how much they have taken over TF's life. That seems to be the general consensus. I also tweeted this out to TWD so they see. I mean, we just have to wait but some people are literally brought to tears thinking how handicapped Rick's crew is now because of Negan. Very little people think he is funny or charming or anything positive. They feel the saviors arc has over welcomed their stay.
    Personally, I am sick of Negan but will never give up on the show (unless Michonne or Rick dies then...I don't know). I just hope they start showing the team getting some wins or the ratings may continue to drop.

coffeebean, Gekari, msbold1 and 3 others like this.
  19. Fuji

Fuji Searching for Sophia

Walker Pets:
    I think it's Negan. The character doesn't translate well from comics to TV but people wanted to hear the iconic lines. I just SMH when people say Negan sounds cartoonish, of course he does, the GN is just a glorified cartoon. I think it was a mistake to drag this out till season 8. People don't want to see TF beaten don for a whole season. I personally fast forward through almost every Negan scene. Also the execs need to stay out of the show. You can't pay be to believe that the CH was not their idea.

20. Butler36

Butler36 What?
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah The audience, critics, and the people behind the scenes seem to like Richonne a lot. It was one of the highlights of season 6 and people still like them a lot.