1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Ratings Lowest Since Season 3

Discussion in '7x05: Go Getters' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SweetDee85

SweetDee85 Richonne Trash
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I agree. It has essentially been 5 straight episodes with TF "losing" and no end in sight. People want to see our heroes at least be able to quip back and they aren't even allowing them to do that. So the constant beat down of our family is really draining and crippling for most people to see. We have been with them for 7 seasons and they have always managed to come out on top in some way or another. And in this situation they haven't. All we can do now is wait. But most people don't want to wait.

Denie39 and msbold1 like this.
  2. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I can't speak on whether season 7 is better than 6 so far, but I think s6 was line in the sand for alot of people and unfortunately 7.01 didn't help.

3. Ashley

Ashley Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I've heard similar feelings regarding why they're not into watching this first half of S7. Friends and coworkers have used the words 'bleak', 'depressing', and that Negan makes them so angry. It's definitely hard to watch; if I didn't love this show and know what was awaiting us in the second half, I'd probably be less inspired to tune in as well. However, the GA shouldn't expect TF to be badass and winning all the time.

And, of course, I totally share all the other sentiments mentioned here about the mishandling of a large cast and unnecessary bottle episodes. I was watching the 'Weeks Coming Ahead' promo AMC posted on their Youtube and all anyone could talk about in the comments section was how stupid it was for AMC to waste an episode on solely just Tara & Heath, and how sad it was for them to attempt to cover it up with that promo; because they knew it wasn't an episode the GA would look forward to and the numbers have been a slippery slope since the premiere.

I hope 7B picks up momentum enough for people to tune in. As many flaws as the show has, and as bad as I want AMC/TPTB to learn their lesson, I love this show far too much, and in general this saddens me.

4. thepuma21

thepuma21 Babysitting Judith
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I'm not surprised the ratings are down. The CH and the bottle episodes just pissed people off. That we had to wait 4 episodes to find out about Maggie and Sasha is just too much.
    Now we have the Tara episode nobody will care about.
    As Doc said it is a good thing, because they won't take the audience for granted anymore. They know what's not working, people want to see Rick's group, not Negan's speechifying over and over.

I do believe if season 8 confirms the decline, the decision to end it or pause it will have to be made.
    And I hope they don't fire Scott G.

Michroolz likes this.
  5. Ashley

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Ooh, wanted to add--

I am also a late bloomer to TWD; I binged watched S1-S6A in 1 1/2 weeks last November. It completely engulfed my entire life and being in those weeks. I was in a trance and getting little to no sleep from binge-ing, lol. Anywhoo, it definitely is a nice, cohesive way to watch the story of TWD unfold. I could understand where it's harder to keep the attention of some when there are episodes that are less than savory, or when the plot takes an undesirable turn. Some people are just not up to waiting to see what may happen.

Richonnefya, Denie39 and MrsG like this.
  6. MsAntiSocial

MsAntiSocial Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    It's going to take a larger ratings drop than this for the show to be canceled, and from what I've read the live +3 and live +7 ratings have been huge.

7. Minty

Minty Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    Well, this show is still ridiculously popular and very relevant in pop culture, so I don't think the glory days are already behind. Other than that, I agree, I don't want it to run itself into the ground like so many other shows have, that would be a shame.

Denie39 and hewontgo like this.
  8. Ashley

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Agreed. I was excited for Negan, but I held my expectations too high and expected them to produce a more finessed version of GN Negan; instead, they're trying to duplicate him to a T and as it turns out, he's not great in a live version.

9. candi18z

candi18z Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    I am not surprised by thee decline in the ratings. When I read the spoilers and speculation for season 7 I knew this season was not going to be popular with the GA .For several reasons

1 The show has gotten too big with the extra communities and new characters. Comic fans love the new communities and their various characters the GA does not. The GA loved TWD when it was Rick and the rest of Team Family against the world. Fans love seeing the group together. This season the group has separated and they are interacting with new characters that the audience does not know. Introducing too many new characters at the same time is never a good idea. It takes time for new characters to grow on the audience.

2. Negan. Negan is a foul mouthed bully that the GA hates. This season has been all about Negan and his saviors and the fans don't want to watch him bully and terrorize TF. AMC 's promotion of Negan has almost surpassed their Daryl promotion. Negan has become the face of season 7. So, if the ratings are falling this season, Negan is one of the main reasons why.

3. Losing Glenn and Abe and the lack of aftermath of their deaths. Fans are still sad over the loss of both Glenn and Abe, and they hate seeing Negan/Dwight laugh about the deaths while taunting TF. There is also a problem with the aftermath of the deaths. Fans mourned for Abe/Glenn's death more than characters did. Gimple seems to be rushing past the aftermath of the deaths and is moving the characters are moving forward toward AOW instead of seeing them grieving. I think that the GA expected more heartbreaking grieving scenes with the characters.

4. Not enough Rick. Rick is supposed to be the main character, yet we don't see enough of him. The GA want to see Rick front and center leading TF. They don't the main character's arc cut off after the first episode and not shown again until episode 4. Every episode without Rick is a ratings failure. Rick needs to be front and center with TF.

5. Too many filler and bottle episodes. The bottle episodes are killing this show. The bottle episodes are slow moving and focus on the wrong characters.

Ashley, ReeciePiecey, Eznona and 14 others like this.
  10. Bailey88

Bailey88 Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    I'm not annoyed by JDM performance of Negan as so many others on this forum but I want to see him gone by the end of season 8. I'm not interested in a redemption arc of Negan. Negan is not a redeemable character no matter how they try to spin his story. He needs to pay for what his done to TF and the other communities. Fans will never forgive Negan for what he's done so just kill him off. I just can't imagine TF working with Negan in the future after killing Glenn and Abe. I love this show but they need to stop following the comic so heavily. Putting Negan in jail instead of killing him does not work for me.

11. chasus

chasus Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    amen I agree with you here plus some forget TWD has great +3Day DVR numbers which always adds bout an additional 4 to 5 million more viewers. These numbers count because it adds to the advertising dollars. To me all this says is that people may not have time to watch live or they hold off to watch it the next day or so.

Regardless not many shows can say they keep 11 million viewers week to week, Fear TWD was renewed on much less ratings. At the end of the day TWD is Cable's top performing show throughout it's season run. Sure some things should be changed but articles like this always make it seem more dire then it is especially with the next highest rated show on AMC is probably only pulling in 5 million live viewers (if that).

12. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I agree and not only that we haven't seen them grieve or even comfort each other. The first sign of grieving and comforting was in the fifth episode a full 4 episodes after this over the top ridiculous trauma. Everything is just so bitter even the Kingdom with it's lightness couldn't sweetness the pot because they are total unaware of the trauma that happened.

I do get it though... when Rick and Co finally rise up it will be glorious... but a little bit of sweetness could go a long way.

SweetDee85, lovingdead and Michroolz like this.
  13. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Do advertisers really want to have their ads on the highest DVR'ed show when those ads can be easily skipped? We keep lumping in all of the stats together but I would be interested in seeing what stats are important for advertisers if it isn't the whole thing. AMC was already going through the symptoms of a financial problem earlier this year when it began offering buyouts for its employees. Also, there was a minimal increase in ad sales last quarter. Seeing the ratings decreasing this much this quickly is probably worrying those executives. Sure, they have the most watched show on television, BUT they were already facing financial problems while this thing was in its peak. If they have no increase in ad sales or even a slight decrease in ad sales, that could still hurt AMC's bottom line.

msbold1, lovingdead and Michroolz like this.
  14. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:

I still don't understand why AMC is always so "poor" especially after Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Nowadays shows like this get a healthy percentage of their profits from selling to overseas markets. As long as they own the content they can mint money. This is why poorly rated shows like Sleepy Hollow was renewed because even with ratings in the toilette Fox would make more money off of selling rights globally than they would a better rated show which they did not own the content.

I would even suspect that with TWD they earn more from world wide sales than from advertising on AMC.

lovingdead likes this.
  15. QueenofPeace

QueenofPeace Guts.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Absolutely agreed. I'm in the minority in regard to Negan compared to the major dislike/irritation/criticism for him here, but I do not want him to live through AOW. In no way, shape, or form is it EVER realistic that Rick and TF, given what we know about them from the past seven seasons, would allow Negan to live. There's no going back or forgiveness to be had for what he has done to them. It's absolutely ridiculous and untrue to the characters as we know them if he lives. We all know Kirkman has kept Negan alive because he's his favorite so screw characterization. But they need to right this for the show. For me I think that would be the point where I jump ship, because I refuse to accept Rick would keep Negan alive.

16. candi18z

candi18z Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    TV negan is such an evil douche bag that he cannot live after AOW. I think that Gimple is going to change some of the stuff with Negan in the comics. I don't think that Rick will save Negan's life. I think it will be someone like Morgan who will try to keep Negan alive. But, in the end tv Negan must die because he is an irredeemable villain. The ratings will get even lower if Negan lives after AOW.