1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Reedus :"Cliffhangers have been happening since the beginning of entertainment..."

Discussion in '6x16: Last Day on Earth' started by tuswig, Apr 6, 2016.

1. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer
    Patron

Walker Pets:
  2. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    So dramatic. Josh's reaction was the only normal one.

Well excuse us for expecting a death every now and then in a show about zombies. It seems like they're forgetting they were the ones hyping up a big death in the finale, so I don't understand why they're acting shocked when we expected one.

3. Ship Verse

Ship Verse Good Riddance 2016. 2017, Let's talk.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

[​IMG]

I hate how they seem to want to insult our intelligence. We don't think it is "who's gonna bite it this week?" Nobody has in forever. Its a show about humans in the worst situation imaginable, where bad things happen to them, and yes we want to see those bad things so we can see them rise above. It is why I appreciate Andy so much. I have a right to be angry and it is completely fucking valid. Just because cliffhangers have been happening doesn't mean they always need to happen and it is all about placement Norman.

Also stop throwing Rick under the bus like your shitty ass character didn't start this whole mess.

4. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I love how we've had 47 different answers about whether the cast/crew/TPTB know who it is or not. "I don't know." "Maybe we know." "I think I know." "Yeah I know." :|

[​IMG]
    I've always thought that they did know but I find it ridiculous that they didn't all stick to one story.

Also you're already up Andy's ass so why don't you get some tips while you're there.

#4 Clutterbuck, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  5. Nerdgasm

Nerdgasm Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    The anger comes from their excessive hype and the fact that people have been waiting this whole back half of the season for the villian to show up and then when he finally does they punk out.
    Not only that but they could have ended it in a cliffhanger the other way. By showing us who died. No instead they wanna get artsy fartsy about it and that's why everyone's mad. You're over here manipulating the audience and insulting us like we're not the ones making sure this shit stays on air.
    K, cute.

6. Silas

Silas Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    No shit they've been happening since the beginning of time. And if used wisely, yeah sometimes they can be fun. And I understand they pretty much have to defend that shit ending but what people are failing to grasp *coughGIMPLEcough* is that the way TWD used that cliffhanger was cheap and the show is losing any integrity it had left.

It was like one big episode of Clue with all those death hints and then surprise....you gotta wait six more months. They can claim it was all about Rick's arc but they'd be lying through their big fat professionally whitened teeth. If that were the case it wouldn't have felt like a game with each new foreshadowing of death. That episode was a gimmick through and through with a sprinkling of real storytelling thrown in.

But NR is starting to sound a bit bitter with his blaming of Rick, complaints of screentime, and crappy job defending that ending. Maybe Daryl really does bite the dust. Although I wouldn't blame if he was bitter about that death. As much as we like to knock on Daryl, the actor does deserve a better send off, no matter who it is. I think it's likely they didn't know while filming and then they were told.

7. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Yeah, I think any character they are going to kill in that line-up deserves better. I too wonder if NR bitterness is coming from a place of knowing that his character is the one that's going to be kill.

Which beg the question: is Daryl's cow cash statue gone ?

8. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    yeah he seemed a bit out of it. not enthused at all.

9. JBody

JBody Survivor of Many Disasters
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Bitter Norman? Hmmm. That goes into the Darcille side of the ledger for me :negan:

vinivre, Empress, tuswig and 2 others like this.
  10. Armte

Armte I Drink and I Know Things

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts of Atlanta hunting down 712 footage
    Custom Banner
    I am not digging the narrative the TPTB/some of the actors are using to justify the cliffhanger decision. Apparently we are the problem for expecting someone to die, how blood thirsty of us. We are supposed to just ignore the fact that they have been telegraphing Negan's arrival, the bat and someone demise all season long. How dare we expect a conclusion in this storyline.

Maybe Norman is salty because his swan song/storyline (if he gets the bat) is being shitted :poo: on. :lol:

11. Lennykae

Lennykae Scott Gimple is the Janet Evanovich of TV.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    [​IMG]

:rolleyes::rolleyes: They keep trying to reduce the reactions to people just wanting to see a death or fan impatience. The overwhelming complaint, from "regulars" and media alike, is that the emotional impact is now GONE. For a cheap trick that they've used FOUR times in one season.

But by all means...keep telling the fans how stupid we are. For six months.

12. michonne

michonne Protecting Glenn Rhee
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Thanks mr. reedus! I had no idea cliffhangers were ever a thing before youuuu!!! :salt:

Look, the season 4 finale is a great example of a cliffhanger done well. This? This shit? Fuck no. They all made it seem like the death would be shown. Their dramatic reactions reading this script indicate an actual death. They've all been hyping the fuck out of Negan. The show itself has been as well. The main thing with Negan's introduction is this big character death. Not Rick's ego being shattered. Sure, that's part of it, but for Gimple to imply THAT is the end of the story, THAT is the main point, is gross lmao. Not to mention the cliffhanger DESTROYED all tension and momentum. It didn't build tension once the screen faded to black, unlike the s4 finale. And for people to continue to insult the audience for being angry is only making matters worse.

13. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki " I'm gonna try "
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    So the cast knows then? Or they don't? I'm lost....

14. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Cliffhangers have been done forever. Now it's just comical. It's an old gimmick. And the payoff just isn't worth it. The cliffhangers of all cliffhangers, who killed JR. When the audience found out, no one cared.

15. michonne

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Seems safe to say they know at this point. Chandler was either lying or they forgot about him like they've forgotten about Carl for the past 2 seasons...

16. LunaFall

LunaFall Founder of The Bunker Bar
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    So we're just slapping fans in the face now? I know Reedus is a troll more often than not, but for him to say something like that as a means to defend the show is bullshit and he should stop talking.

The problem is that AMC marketed the finale with SOMEONE PAYING THE PRICE.
    You marketed NEGAN and the scene that EVERYONE AND THEIR DAMNED GRANDMOTHER HAD BEEN WAITING ON SINCE YOU'VE BEEN HYPING THE magnificent FUCKER. What did you expect to happen when you put out misleading marketing?!
    Market the episode for what it was - Rick's Grimes' fall from Eden, his confidence being stripped away little by little until he's so full of fear! There were a number of ways it could have been pitched to soften the blow that occurred with that piss poor ending.

Gimple &Co. didn't write anything leading up to it that would even be considered worthy of such a move.

#16 LunaFall, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  17. Armte

Armte I Drink and I Know Things

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts of Atlanta hunting down 712 footage
    Custom Banner
    Also this quote to me sounds like a canned response that AMC/Gimple/PR came up with to respond to the outrage. I have heard quite a few cast members and producers use it.
    "That finale was about the change of power," he added.....and that episode was to show the change of power. Rick goes into that episode real confident and he comes out of it just completely broken."

I am not a fan of putting all of this crap on the shoulders of the character of Rick either. Pretty much calling it the "destruction of or the broken rick" episode. This episode was always marketed as the introduction of Negan and the demise of a team family member. So I don't like them placing a crap finale on the shoulders of "its all about Rick".

18. Jenna Alaki

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    From the spoilers we got and the actors' comments and now what Reedus even said about the crew, I got the impression that they'd already filmed a complete scene. I cannot imagine them trying to recreate that scene (but they could).

Do you remember the teaser for 6B with Daryl, Abe and Sasha meeting the Saviours? The teaser version was the opening few mins of 609 but what appeared in 609 was edited differently. I was thinking that the reverse might be true in the case of the Negan scene. That perhaps, they'd show us a more expanded version for 701. After all, JDM did say that he's not sure what version will air.

michonne likes this.
  19. michonne

Patron

Walker Pets:
    It feels so condescending to whoever does end up dying. Like "Sorry guys, this is about Rick Grimes and His Big Fat Ego. Whoever died is secondary." Like, I get it. Rick was over confident and he was completely shattered in the end. But that's not what they've been hyping so damn hard. It's not even Rick's fault they're all here, imo. I just don't understand why I'm supposed to be caring about Rick in this particular moment. I'm sorry Rick, I love you and it is heartbreaking seeing you shake with fear, but someone just got their brains bashed in so I'm gonna worry about that.

20. Jenna Alaki

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    YESSSS! THIS IS THE PROBLEM!!! They got their message wrong. Their hype has backfired. That's why they have this reaction. I DO think they filmed an entire scene but edited out the relevant part. Heck, the episode is even called LAST DAY ON EARTH. But it's not... not really... not until October!