1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Reedus :"Cliffhangers have been happening since the beginning of entertainment..."

Discussion in '6x16: Last Day on Earth' started by tuswig, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Same. It really irritates me they're choosing to act like this was a Rick-centric now when it wasn't peddled as such at all. As a Rick-centric (which it was amazing as) they should've cut out the Corgan scenes in place of those in the van; they should've ended the episode with "we pissing our pants yet?" and that's that.

Then 701 could've opened up with Negan's song and dance as the cold open.

2. michonne

michonne Protecting Glenn Rhee
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I've been thinking the same recently. It would make more sense for them to have filmed it already at least. The cast all claiming not to know at first really threw me off, but now they're saying the opposite? So?
    I also saw some people on Tumblr speculating they filmed multiple versions of the Lucille scene with different actors, and that maybe the cast wasn't sure which one they picked

Jenna Alaki likes this.
  3. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    They can deflect, patronize, get all passive aggressive, pontificate and spin this however they want.

In the end, they just have to realize.....
    [​IMG]
    Move on and work really really hard on delivering the goods for season 7.

Until then? I'll be doing this to their PR campaign...
    [​IMG]

4. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I believe Nicotero when he says they haven't filmed the death, and that fits the filming tracker. Nicotero said they filmed two days: one with just JDM and one with the whole cast. (Fits kind of what we know). When JDM swung the bat, he was just hitting a rig Nicotero had set up.

I wrote this on Tumblr about it:

It’s unrealistic that some of the cast wouldn’t know at this point; I think Chandler was just trying to throw us off and/or make us feel better about the cliffhanger; however I think there’s also a real chance he legitimately doesn’t know (as one of the younger members of the cast and also one who probably doesn’t sit around and gossip with them lol). Andy danced around the issue but finally relented and pretty much said he knows as well, but it’s not something he wants to talk about (or is even allowed to). Josh McD also said he’s heard some chatter about who dies, but doesn’t know definitively.

I think it’s safe to say it’s something like office scuttlebutt. Whoever is getting written off (”fired”) knows at this point, even though there hasn’t been an official company declaration. This cast is tight-knit. They’re savvy. No doubt they’ve sort of figured it out just by process of elimination – even if they haven’t been gathered around to be officially informed by the writers. This could explain how some of them know (Norman, Andy), some have heard “rumors” (Josh), and some may not be lying about hearing at all (Chandler).

5. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    Agreed. Rick was getting too confident, I would say even arrogant, BUT so was "the family". It was Daryl's comments specifically that led Rick and Maggie to believe that the Saviors were not a credible threat. I get it, Rick is the leader, alot of this will fall back on him, but I think it is fair and accurate to say that the finale was about the downfall of the family as a whole (not just Rick).

6. Chaos

Chaos Michonne licks Rick clean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Man, I fucking hate this artsy fartsy shit they do when they need to backpedal because the audience reaction isn't what they expected. "This episode is the story of the emotional downfall of Rick and his confidence". BITCH GO GHOST. We all know that's not what the episode was about. It may have included emotional responses from Rick but the objective of the episode was the introduction of Negan and the person who died at his hands. Not Rick feeling crappy and defeated. They want to use that excuse because they used a cliffhanger and we don't know who died. They can't possibly say the episode was about a death when the death wasn't even included in the episode, so they spew BS about Rick and his emotions. FOH.

And Reedus can choke on that shit he's saying about Rick being the one to blame. He can miss me with that shit. He knows good and damn well Daryl deserves that blame, but of course he's not gonna throw his own character under the bus, smh. Even though Daryl is the one who blew up the Saviors. Daryl is the one who was involved in the plan to overrun the Saviors camp. Daryl is the one who ran off and caused other survivors to chase after his dumbass. But, you know, Rick, yeah, blame him.

Get your head out of your ass Reedus and stop the damn lies when it comes out.

7. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That Michael Scott gif is everything. lmaooo

MamaGrimes likes this.
  8. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    THIS. Stop blaming the viewers/fans for being too bloodthirsty, not appreciating good storytelling, not understanding what the purpose of a cliffhanger is. That pisses me off way more than the cliffhanger itself, insulting our intelligence, talking down to us, lecturing us. Just OWN your failures and move on. This kind of shit makes me not want feed into the tptb's egos by giving them my viewership.

#28 tuswig, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  9. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Je
    More like he's bitter about two far more interesting characters in Jesus and Negan are gonna have plenty of story with rick next season and he knows he will no longer be the flavour of the month.

10. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki Saying "Yes"
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I do think that as the leader Rick does bear the responsibility for the situation TF are now in but I do not think it's as simple as saying so and so get's the blame - 'it's all your fault'. This is a complex world and for all intents and purposes, Rick is learning how to be a leader and learning how this world actually is. Anyway, I won't go into it here. I'm sure there's another thread for this....(God, I love this show. I could dissect it for hours.)

11. DirtieBirdie

DirtieBirdie Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Seriously, why aren't the articles talking about how royally stupid Daryl's behavior has been? And how's he's basically 85% to blame. (I'm going to give 5% to Rick for his hubris, 5% to Carol for picking the WORST time to have her "I don't want to hurt the ones I love by not being able to kill for them, but I'm going to leave knowing that they're going to come after me leaving them vulnerable and probably killing them" moment, and 5% to the members of TF for leaving ALL AT THE SAME TIME!).

Daryl's sins:

-Not killing Dwight when he had the chance
    -undermining Negan and his men by calling them the Boogeyman and failing to acknowledge that it was the RPG and not their supermen abilities that got them out of that situation
    -Letting Denise go on the run with him, setting up the whole need for Musical Roadblocks
    -allowing his MAN PAIN to hurt TF by avenging Denise's death by leaving, knowing people are going to go after him
    -Screaming in the woods at said people trying to save his ass
    -forgetting all of his supposed tracking/stealth outdoorsy skills by allowing Dwight to get a jump on him (MULTIPLE TIMES)

Michele, vinivre, Denie39 and 7 others like this.
  12. Empress

Empress Permanently mourning Glenn Rhee
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    What does ‘a change in power’ have to do with not fucking over fans for the gazillionth time? If it’s about Rick’s fall from the top, why did we spend 1/3 of the time with Carol and Morgan? Why did we have such focus on Maggie and her baby, Abe with Sasha and Eugene, Eugene with himself, Carl and Enid, Michonne, Daryl and Glenn in the van, yes it all happened in conjunction but that’s the entire point, it’s an ensemble cast with a variety of arcs happening at once, NOT just Rick and his reality check. That sounds like C grade deflecting if I ever heard it, ya’ll made a bad call YET AGAIN, don’t throw your lead character under the bus like that cliffhanger was a result of ALL the focus being on Rick, what episode do you think you aired? What do you think we saw?

What was the logic behind this, did they really think that building up a characters introduction, hamming him up for months prior to his debut, and then giving him 10 minutes of screen time and keeping the result of his most awaited scene a ~mystery for 6 months was going to be a critically acclaimed decision? Then to top it all off, having the audacity to criticize fans for not appreciating the ‘pacing’ and insinuating we don’t understand what TWD is ‘really about’. It’s a zombie show based on a zombie comic, fuck right off. Yes, there’s a lot of interpersonal drama, when it’s written well, it’s fantastic, but this is not young and the restless, as much as it seems like that’s what they want it to be sometimes, it’s a show about survivors in an apocalypse. Please get over yourselves.

I really don’t understand the point of cliffhangers. Maybe I’m just not ‘artsy’ and ‘advanced’ enough to see the ‘genius’ behind them, but to a simple pleb such as myself, it’s insulting, like we’re fish in a pond, and need a hook stuck in our mouths to keep us around, or we’ll swim away to latch onto the next shiny. Like we can’t think for ourselves, we have to be enticed into returning. If you tell a good story, and respect your audience, everyone is gonna come back and watch the show next season. It’s like a really extended version of how shows are always cutting to commercial break before the ‘big moment’ happens in the story, like I’ve already committed to sitting here and watching this, I’m still gonna be here when the commercial is over, just show me what happens and relax.

13. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This just reminds me of the time NR said something to the effect of they know what they're doing and we have to accept that and what we're given.

14. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    I agree with the outline of Daryl's sins but I place equal blame on primarily 3 people: Rick, Daryl and Maggie. Special mention to Abe (not checking Daryl, for not giving a more truthful account of encounter with the Saviors) and Michonne (that's my girl but I do think there is evidence that she had concerns about the Saviors but didn't share them with Rick, she also didn't check Rick's arrogance/cockiness). While I am no fan of Carol and I think she picked the worse time to have a conscience about killing, I don't think she bears any of the blame for the Saviors/Negan situation.

15. walkinggirl26

walkinggirl26 Rick's Right-Hand Woman
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

He is really making me dislike him after I started back liking him in 6b after disliking him since Season 4. What is his freaking problem? with all of TPTB? They're acting like we just made this up or imagined that they've been hyping about somebody having to pay the price ad nauseam and we missed the cues, the dialogue, the build-up. I am now fully on the Darcille bandwagon and hope that it's his big bald head that's laying on the ground. At least his death will give story to Rick, Michonne, Carl, and the rest of TF. Maybe they can get some of their GN arcs back instead of going to his character. I am so pissed right now, not to mention him throwing Rick under the bus when he's the main reason they even know where they are, and now it's all Rick's fault? Um, okay, Daryl, especially after Dwight one-upped your butt three times.

He's got me all twitchy now.
    [​IMG]

Ain't nobody trying to hear you, NR, right now.
    [​IMG]

At this point him and TPTB just need to STHU because they're making it worse with their condescension and they know better attitude.
    [​IMG]

#35 walkinggirl26, Apr 6, 2016
    Michele, Lugubria, michonne and 10 others like this.
  16. walkinggirl26

walkinggirl26 Rick's Right-Hand Woman
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    How is it Maggie's fault? Daryl's fault again for taking the only freaking doctor out on a run, so now they have to take Maggie to Hilltop to get medical attention. Unless you're talking about her brokering the deal with Gregory, then, yes, she did do that, but EVERYONE except Morg signed off on it. There's enough blame to go around at this point. It just went from bad to worse, and everyone making bone-headed decisions at the worst time didn't help matters any. SMH Which is why I'll be extra salty if when they get back home everyone throws Rick under the bus and forget their part in it all, especially Daryl.

Michele and SevenStars like this.
  17. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    Yes, in my opinion, Maggie bears some blame because she brokered the deal with Gregory. Like I said, there's more than enough blame to go around, but I stand by what I said, I blame Rick, Daryl and Maggie the most.

JayHey and Denie39 like this.
  18. Bazooka Jane

Bazooka Jane On a pirate ship
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    To be fair, no one told her to throw in that "50% upfront" clause, which, it has been pointed out, made the voting in the church scene a moot point b/c the food they needed was staring them right in the face. How do you say no then (even Morgan wanted to make good on the deal of handling the Saviors, just in a non-violent way).

JayHey and tuswig like this.
  19. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I agree with this for the most part but I also blame all those who didn't voice their objects when Rick put the action/decision to a vote. Staying silent to me is an agreement and a vote for the decision. So to me, the only blameless one in this situation if we are really looking at it is Morgan.

Any character who agree and took part in this shares the blame. Some should have more blame than others, but all of them shoud have some blame.

#39 SevenStars, Apr 6, 2016
    Michele, JayHey, Lugubria and 11 others like this.
  20. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    Yes, Maggie got greedy, and I even argued on another thread that there was never really a choice in whether or not to attack the Saviors, the deal was already made and the food was already brought back to Alexandria.

JayHey likes this.