1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Richonne BABY; Do we want one?

Discussion in 'Fluff 'n Stuff' started by truetrash, Mar 21, 2016.

?

Do you want Richonne to have a biological child of their own?

Poll closed Apr 18, 2016.
  1. Hell Yes!!!!

34 vote(s)
    31.2%
  2. Nope!

8 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Maybe, probably not now though.

63 vote(s)
    57.8%
  4. I don't know!

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. DavieVC

DavieVC Slopping Pigs
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    WARNING: Long post ahead... Travel safely... Hahaha...

When it comes to a Richonne baby, I am quite confused about the possibility. There is a part of me that would certainly love to see Rick and Michonne sharing a much closer bond through a biological child, but there is another part of me that knows that a child does not need to bring two people closer to each other in a relationship. For this reason, I can see their stories going both ways: with a biological child and without a biological child.

If we focus on present time, having a Richonne baby would not be the smartest of moves. Alexandria is not safe as long as Negan and the Saviors are around. Rick and Michonne have a lot on their plate now to consider the possibility of expanding the family. Even Maggie has become a primary person to protect because everyone feels like Baby Rhee needs to be born safe and sound. I also analyzed the sharing of Baby Rhee's sonogram as a foreshadowing of such protection. Even without Glenn, Maggie was not going to be left alone to handle her pregnancy. I did not necessarily connect this scene to the possibility of a Richonne baby simply because Michonne is not the only one who looks at the picture of the sonogram. Interestingly, Rick does not even take a look at the picture. I just simply saw the scene as a confirmation that the family was going to get bigger and would need much more protection now.

Someone stated that Rick and Michonne have just started dating, so it would be very unlikely for this couple to have a child so early on in their relationship. The truth is that Michonne had taken over the role of a mother for Rick's children ever since season 4 when he practically asks her to co-parent Carl, excluding Judith for considering her dead at the time. Rick adds that, if she needs a break from such responsibility, he would understand without recrimination, but she quickly accepts and adds "I'm done taking breaks." From that moment on, Michonne has been ready to be a mother once again. For the first time, she holds on to her maternal instincts once more. She does not only care about Carl and Judith; she loves them as a mother would. That was the role she accepted to perform with or without a romantic relationship with Rick. Was this the only thing that she needed to consider for herself to feel like a complete woman? The answer is no. Michonne also needed to give herself a chance to fall in love again. She simply needed to meet a man who would prove that family was everything and giving up on it was not a possibility. That was/is Rick Grimes. Both Rick and Michonne, thus, have been ready to be parents for quite some time now. This, however, does not mean that a new member of the family should be brought forth. It can certainly wait if it were ever to happen.

Rick and Michonne are not only a family unit for Grimes 2.0. They also consider their extended family. That is why they are such great warriors and leaders. They are not selfish. I find it hard to believe that Rick and Michonne would give in to a relationship without considering the consequences of their actions. Without protection, a Richonne baby could be possible. Nevertheless, there is something about the relationship that tells me that Michonne is way too comfortable without it. Because of this calmness around her, it is easy for me to accept the theory that some have proposed about Michonne not being able to get pregnant again. As things are now, I doubt that Michonne is thinking about getting pregnant any time soon. She wants to fight Negan and the Saviors, and being pregnant would put her at a tremendous disadvantage. She has even been wandering off leaving Carl and Judith alone for long periods of time because of this as well, so her motherly duties with the Grimes children have also been affected by this. A new Grimes baby right now simply seems out of place.

The new world needs to repopulate. That is true. It does not need to happen with a Richonne baby though. As Jesus stated, repopulation is already taking place at the Hilltop--and, perhaps, other communities--right now. Rick and Michonne are raising both Carl and Judith, so they are contributing to the future of civilization without the need of a biological child. I am sure that they will also be there for Maggie and Baby Rhee when the time comes.

If a Richonne baby takes place, I will still accept it and feel happy because I simply love, admire, and respect Richonne. I only hope for this romantic relationship to get stronger in all the ways that count. Rick and Michonne need to continue opening up to one another, for there are still things that their hearts need out and about. Rick is already heading in that direction with Judith's revelation. In 7.12, he might open up about his feelings towards Glenn, proving once more his decision to accept Michonne as his significant other. Michonne is yet to do the same with him. In sum, there are still many things that Rick and Michonne need to explore as both a couple and Alexandrian leaders before a Richonne baby pops up. At least, this is how I see it.

4Lemonade, Minty, Nightmare and 4 others like this.
  2. Mischonne

Mischonne Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    My own fan fiction:

If Michonne got pregnant now it would be very inconvenient. Inconvenience would add to drama. What would Rick do ?

Personally I think he'd put a pause on the war.

How would everyone else feel? He's the one pumping everyone to take on Negan and then puts his own family above the common interests of the other communities and he says let's take this up in nine months y'all.

How would Maggie feel? She's putting herself and her baby right in the middle of danger. Why can't Michonne? Well because that's Ricks boo.

3. Nightmare

Nightmare FAIRY PRINCESS♚
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I am actually perfectly fine with Rick and Michonne never having a child together. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I feel like Judith is their child. I feel like a bit of the reason the writers revealed to us that Rick is not Judith's father, is because now the audience knows that both Rick and Michonne love Judith as a daughter that isn't biologically their own.

I know some might want Richonne to have a biological child, to "consummate" their love, but honestly, a biological child is not needed for that, and in this show, I think there is more meaning to what they are doing with Richonne and Judith. They are raising Judith from birth basically, a baby born in a world that's gone to hell in a handbasket, but is a miracle and hope for the future.

Michonne met her new group, her family, thanks to Judith needing baby formula. Knowing Judith still needed him helped bring Rick back from the brink of meltdown, and I think it's a nice touch that it was Carl who named her, and it was Carl wanting to bring a memory to Judith (the picture), that secured a place in their family for Michonne as well as created a strong bond between Carl and Michonne.

Judith's birth brought Richonne together, securing for them a future by each others side. She brought Carl and Michonne together and thus helped to aid Michonne in opening up her heart again. She brought Michonne to Team Family.

The meaningful connections with Richonne and Judith to me, are more powerful and special to me than simply adding another child to the show.

I feel like with Gleggie's kid, Glenn died, but his legacy will live on with his child. That has some semblence of meaning to it.

Judith being raised by two loving parents, who found each other because Judith needed them, who found their other half because of her, being the ones Judith will eventually call mommy and daddy. Honestly, the minute I hear her call Michonne that, it's a wrap for my heart.

I actually feel like in a way with Richonne, the whole "story ending with a otp baby" happened backward. While in a lot of fiction, at the end of a show or book, a pairing gets together and in the end there is a baby, showing a happy future together for the ship.

With Richonne, Judith was born first, and then Richonne was brought together, thus creating a strong family bond and helping to secure a happy future together for them as a pairing.

So as far as I'm concerned, Judith is the OTP baby. Another one, to me personally, would be a bit redundant.

#303 Nightmare, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  4. Patty Ran

Patty Ran Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    You have articulated it so nicely! :)
    Judith is their baby. Also, I remember Michonne telling that she never wanted to have more children. I don't know if that will change. But the way the world is, her love for Rick is ultimate. Baby or not, they belong together and they are going to raise Judith together, love her in every way, whether they have their own or not.

5. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

I totally agree, Judith is the original Richonne baby.

Richonne is a beautiful love story with or without a bio child.

6. DavieVC

DavieVC Slopping Pigs
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I agree with the statements presented in the last three posts (prior mine of course). With or without a biological child, Rick and Michonne already have a family. They are still fighting as hard as possible to continue raising Carl and Judith. If a new baby comes, great! If there are no new Grimes in the family, that is great too. Their love for one another is what matters, among themselves and to their children.