1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Richonne Discussion & Debate Thread

Discussion in 'The Richonne Zone' started by MamaGrimes, Aug 31, 2016.

1. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    While our favorite couple is now canon and in lurrvvveeee, there may be some lingering annoyances, doubts, quibbles and questions out there. Topics that don't belong in the Positivity thread because they may be too high in :salt:.

I thought it would be nice to have a discussion thread where we can openly discuss these topics, answer questions for each other and allay any doubts.

For example:

• How do we feel about Michonne not being hit on by other guys before Rick claimed her as his?
    • Is there a chance Rick would have had a relationship with Jessie, for even a brief period of time, if she didn't get eaten?
    • What the hell happened during that magical time jump between 6.9 and 6.10 anyway? And why couldn't we see even a little bit of it?
    This is a thread for open discussion but please be respectful of each other's opinions as personal attacks are not welcome here. We're all here for our ship!

The floor is yours!

2. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Thanks for creating this thread, Mama!

I am a little salty Michonne wasn't shown any attention prior to her relationship with Rick. It never made sense to me. Michonne is an attractive woman, she was available at the time, and yet nada. Not even Rick had paid her so much as a "you look good" until they got together. It was just :tara:??? (although he did give her the old elevator look a couple times)

Every other woman had been given attention of a sexual nature, which made the omission of Michonne even weirder to me. I don't think it was deliberate of the writers to make Michonne some sexless wonder at the time, but it did irk me nonetheless.

As for the Rick/Jessie thing, everyone knows my feelings on that. I think Rick would've tried to carry a relationship with Jessie had she not died -- if anything out of obligation -- but he wasn't in love with her. I think he would've felt responsible. The relationship wouldn't have lasted. They would've probably fallen into the same types of problems him and Lori used to have: Rick didn't talk enough, Jessie/Lori not understanding why he does the things he does, lack of support, overall frustration.

I will probably always be salty over Rick pursuing Jessie. While I can try to make sense of it with some meta and analysis, in show canon? All that was presented was Rick turning into some moon-eyed lust-nut pining over a married woman. Jessie Anderson of all married women. The blandest of the bland. I can say all day, "Rick was trying to put together his past," "It wasn't a relationship," "Rick was crazy," but fact is none of that has any hard proof. It's all contextual and subjective. I am bitter Rick's obsession with Jessie was never lampshaded. I am bitter it nearly ruined my favorite character -- and even now I sometimes still get flashes of disgust over it all. I just have to acknowledge there's a side to Rick that is sleazy and repulsive -- at least until given a good reason to think otherwise.

Ugh, the time jump.

3. walkinggirl26

walkinggirl26 Rick's Right-Hand Woman
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This is so true. I mean, at one time folks were shipping Michonne and Daryl for that very reason, and I still say that Merle had a little thing for her despite his racist a**, Abe tried to tiptoe around and see what the water was like on that porch, and the Guvnah totally had a thing for her imo. So I wouldn't say that no one has paid her any mind or have not taken notice of her assets, but like Richonne, it was subtle, and Rick was doing enough checking out and eye screws for 10 men, lol!

I still think the fact that Rick and Michonne have been joined at the hip even before the prison fell that TF and the Woodburians weren't blind and could see a new plant forming, and any new people that they ran across could see that there was something there right off the bat as Abe picked up on and mentioned to Rosita, Aaron saw firsthand, and Deanna gleaned from their first meeting. Rick wasn't running to the gate, going 100 miles, or deferring to any other woman, and Michonne wasn't bringing back gifts, crying over, or being vulnerable for any other man. Just watching from afar, their interactions would not encourage anyone, male or female, to approach either of them. How unreal is it that no other women would be sniffing around Rick Eyes As Blue As The Sky Grimes? I'm not even counting Jblah because that was just a misfire on all counts by the writers to get to the chop and Carl losing his eye *sighs*

Whether they were together as a couple or not, I think most would assume they were or at least that there was a strong familial bond and wouldn't want to risk getting on Rick's bad side, let alone catching a death glare or worse from Michonne, lol! If Heath was even thinking about it, I think he changed his mind after that tongue lashing she gave him when he dared to talk trash about Rick, and Morgan isn't dumb either. He was probably thinking "this is the woman he showed up with in King County a year ago, and now they're living together and they're stuck like glue. Um, okay. I'ma leave that alone and keep it moving," lol!

I also think that it was a conscious choice on SG's part to not make TV!Michonne like GN!Michonne with all the bed hopping, especially since his plan was to put Richonne together and have them as the lead couple. He wisely knew that there would be enough backlash just putting them together because of the departure from the comics as well as the race part. No use throwing more wood on the fire with her sleeping around as well. I don't think that would have went over well at all with the GA. So they made a course correction and went all the way the other way. So if I had a choice of them keeping her a nun and getting with Rick or her having a couple of hookups and then getting with Rick but she gets mega hate for it, I'll take the latter. Most of the GA is on board with Richonne, but I could see the level of hate would be much worse if they went the other route just like with Lori and Andrea. They even changed Rick not sleeping with Jblah, which would have been another firestorm, so they kept them both "pure" for each other, and I'm fine with that and think it was the better outcome.

4. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    @MamaGrimes are those just suggestions for topics or is this another Jessie related thread? Just asking because she tends to dominate the discussion and I will move along if that's the case. I know many are still processing that arc so I understand the need, I just try to avoid it if I can:)

5. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I believe they're just suggestions. The discussion of Michonne having little attention of a sexual nature in the Filming Thread is what spurred it. My first post was just responding to the suggestions.

6. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    • I think that they kinda insinuated that Andrea and Michonne could have been a thang. Earl believed so and they made Michonne act kinda jealous when Andrea chose the Gov over her "a friend".
    • Andre's dad
    • Claimers wanted to rape her (not the sexual attention we'd hope for)
    • Abraham at the welcoming party
    • Tiny flirting with Morgan
    First of all there aren't a lot of Alpha males around (can't see Michonne with Eugene or Tobin) and those that are available half of them are psychopaths.
    I think Ezekiel may come on to Michonne which will most likely drive Rick crazy.

Canuckgirl likes this.
  7. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I wanted to add on this, this doesn't mean I don't think analysis of Rick's behavior is wrong/false/dumb. I truly believe Rick was trying to recreate the past, that he hadn't let go of Lori yet, and that's what the arc was all about. That's how I've rationalized it, because it's the only thing that makes sense -- and I think the imagery Gimple was presenting, coupled with quotes Andy made during filming, are more than enough "proof". But for the general audience? It wasn't enough. In the slightest. So it's irritating that we'll forever see comments about how Rick jumped from Jessie to Michonne "so quick". We'll always see comments about how Jessie was Rick's "girlfriend".

My salt stems more from the fact the lack of canonical explanation makes me feel like I wasted my time overanalyzing the situation -- or that I am delusional. Maybe I am. I don't know. And the fact we'll always see this crap, which sucks.

Either way, Rick's behavior during that arc -- grief of his dead wife or no -- was not excusable. Perhaps understandable, but not excusable.

I didn't think Abraham was flirting with Michonne, but that's just me. It looked like a friendly chat. Same with Morgan and Michonne -- I didn't see any flirting, just playful joking.

Ezekiel might flirt with Michonne,
    but it sounds like he has eyes for Carol.

8. Mrsthicke

Mrsthicke Slopping Pigs
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I don't know....I always thought those scenes with Daryl and Michonne was HELLA flirty (and made ALOT people ship them; I mean there was articles every where on it) but that might have been just Norman seeping into his acting.

But yea I was just like why the hell do you care that she keeps running off? DARYL of all people. Mr. Emo, scared to hit on chicks. But they haven't really interacted since which I don't understand.

Then there was that deleted scene they had with one of he Gov's soldiers in season 4, kirk acevado (my boy Alvarez from OZ), when she was kidnapped with Hershel. He was hitting on her up a STORM.......but they fucking deleted it.

I hope it isn't cause of unintended colorism....but then again when u step back and look at it that's what it looks like.

balladsinthebluegrass likes this.
  9. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'd never watched that deleted scene until now, but like :omg: did he ask Hershel if he'd ever pleasured Michonne with his stump?!

"If I were him, I'd stump the shit out of you."

I laughed so hard when the Governor came in and just jacked him in the face. :lol:

10. Mrsthicke

Mrsthicke Slopping Pigs
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Nah dude......it's just TERRIBLE WRITING....which this show is known for. Don't even over think it. lol. That's all it is.

11. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Oh they're just suggestions, trust me! I definitely didn't intend for this to be a rehashing of Jessick stuff but I'm not excluding it either. It looks like other topics have been introduced so we're well on our way! It's basically for any topic that may be too 'debatey' for the Positivity thread, that's all.

12. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Hershel's face when he asked him that, he was like WTF....that scene is crazy :shane:Michonne is so bad ass though the way she got that knife.

Basically the only attention she got outside of Rick was from would be rapists...the Claimers and this dude :tara:
    I'm gonna count Daryl looking her up and down at the prison as male attention to make me feel better:tdog:

13. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    My unpopular opinion is I would've preferred the Jessie-Rick arc to have been a more true comic adaptation than what we got. Jessie pursued Rick in the comic, forced herself onto him, and then she died. Rick was completely passive throughout it all and showed no sign of having a thing for her until after they slept together (and really it was Jessie crawling into his bed and diving on him while he said, "No", he just eventually submitted to it).

It would've just been sex (literally thrown into his lap) as opposed to Rick harboring some weird crush. Rick would've been the hunted and not the hunter.

But I think in Gimple's puritan mind, sex > emotional feelings. It's a man thing. Rick had to feel *something* with Jessie, but he didn't want to "go there" (sex) so Rick got the weird attachment to her instead (which could be see as a resurgence of his "protect Lori" mentality). However the writing failed this arc, and it didn't come across so well.

I do agree Michonne couldn't bed hop, because the audience is sexist and would've slut-shamed her. They would've protested her union with Rick. As a side-effect, the writers inadvertently made her almost invisible to men in a sexual manner -- maybe subconsciously. After all, why show someone showing interest unless it's going to go somewhere (a relationship) or its for comedic effect (Axel and Carol; Eugene and Tara) or even terror (Governor and Maggie)? If a man started flirting with Michonne, there was probably a reason. Rarely do the writers throw it in there just to remind us, "Hey this woman is sexy."

14. KatanaQueen

KatanaQueen Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Jessie? Dont know her.

But honestly, all I need is for it to be made 100% clear what Michonne means to Rick. Now majority of us on this site already know but the GA will need a little help. I mean we got Rick's "this is different" comment and the man was looking weak AF in the RV holding her dreads but I need more (because im greedy like that).

I've always wondered why no one has shown any interest in her. I came to the conclusion that Michonne is obviously above their standards and they didnt want to risk the sting of rejection from the Queen :flirt:

#14 KatanaQueen, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  15. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    You know, now that I think about it, I think all instances of a man/woman showing sexual interest in someone were done for a "reason" -- i.e. not just to show that woman is desirable.

Rick and Lori: relationship
    Shane and Lori: well, we know what was going on there.
    Andrea and Shane: well, they had sex; I think it was to show where Andrea's loyalties lay as well. (This also was one of the actions that painted her as a "slut", so... no good.)
    Jimmy and Beth: relationship
    Glenn and Maggie: relationship
    Governor and Andrea: relationship (sort of?)
    Governor and Maggie: horror/terror (it was all a sick form of psychological torture)
    Axel and Carol: for comedic effect
    Zach and Beth: relationship
    Claimers Situation: horror/terror (they were going to rape Michonne and Carl)
    Tyreese and Karen: relationship
    Governor and Lilly: relationship
    Tara and Alisha: relationship
    Bob and Sasha: relationship
    Abraham and Rosita: relationship
    Eugene and Tara: for comedic effect
    Eugene and Rosita: one-sided attraction
    Aaron and Eric: relationship
    Rick and Jessie: mutual interest
    Abraham and Sasha: relationship
    Denise and Tara: relationship
    Spencer and Rosita: one-sided relationship (to show Rosita is still relying on a warm bed as well)

So I would say rarely we see sexual attention or comments being paid unless it's for some deliberate purpose. I can't think of any instances where it's just done to reinforce a character's attractiveness. Maybe the one-off comment about Eugene finding Rosita attractive? I think that might be the only one, and that could be a hint at the Eugene/Rosita relationship to come in the future.

16. walkinggirl26

walkinggirl26 Rick's Right-Hand Woman
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah, unfortunately we're stuck with that JesSICK craptastic storyline. It is what it is *sighs* I have just sucked it up and moved on, but I still can't watch any of those episodes because it just brings it all back. Plus I just can't stand seeing Rick like that or looking and hearing the owl lady's voice. Arghh!!

I think once we get some declarations of love and that comic panel where Rick tells someone that he loves/is closer to/has a deeper bond with Michonne than he has ever had with any other woman that that will put to rest all of that other talk and will leave no doubt where Rick's heart is and always has been, even before arriving at the ASZ.

17. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Here's my thoughts.....
    As far as Michonne being hit on, there were times this happened. In the comics she has slept with a couple of guys and for TV Michonne Gimple was planning Richonne before he became show runner and I think they didn't have her hook up with guys because they were saving her for Richonne. I think they didn't want her to get labeled as a slut by fans like Andrea has been. So they kept TV Michonne's male interaction to friend status but she has been hit on at least like Abe was hitting on her at Deanna's party on the porch. He wasn't blunt and coming out and saying certain things but he was definitely flirting. Prior to this in S4, Daryl and Michonne had some choice interactions. In the gif below they weren't even watching the road as they were driving lol..... Idk if non-Daryl fans ever noticed this but us Daryl fans saw it. In the Daryl fandom we thought Daryl and Michonne were going to get together in that time. Like when she told him the rock brought out his eyes and then in the car when he was getting her to not keep risking her life and he gave her the elevator look several times and stared at her through out a couple episodes. Also he told her more than once he was happy she was going with him something he didn't say to people.... Not to mention the joking around they did when they very rarely joked with anyone. There are still people that ship them, I'm glad Richonne happened though. I like my Daryl single lol.
    [​IMG]

The topic of Jessie, that hot mess situation was NEVER going to go cannon...it was NEVER going to happen no matter if she lived or not here's why.... Jessie aside, her son wanted and was going to attempt to kill Rick and Carl. I think JesSICK shippers forget this MAJOR detail. Ron was set out to kill Carl and Rick. Why in the world would anyone want Rick with her or around that situation and die? A true epic powerful couple can't have this dysfunction. A major Easter Egg that Gimple planted that solidified the difference between Jessie and Michonne is that Jessie situation was hidden never talked about to Carl or TF, we say if they don't show it then its not cannon so therefore TF didn't know about the Jessie situation. NOW with Richonne the entire TF found out and not only did they find out but Rick never kept it a secret, Rick almost drove the RV into a fiery grave just to reach across and touch Michonne in front of everyone and hold her hand. Rick talked to Carl about Michonne never about Jessie. Rick was asking where Michonne was in 6.15 and talking about his feelings for her to Abe. This is the difference. Gimple has been planning Richonne since S3 he has said this more than once, so that alone says that JesSICK was NEVER going to happen, she was NEVER going to live. Jessie was getting her comic death the day she was hired.....If she had lived then Rick would have died because Ron would have killed him. So again JesSICK wouldn't go cannon because Rick and/or Carl would have died. Even if Ron killed Carl and didn't get to kill Rick, does anyone really think Rick would have been with the mother of the boy who killed his son? Lets also remember the scene in 6.8 when Jessie was scared by the window and Rick never consoled her, never touched her and left her standing by the window to go to Michonne. If Michonne breathes wrong he will come running across a field to ask her if she is ok like the saviors compound another difference between the two.....If Rick was sane in S6a Jessie would have never happened. In S6a Rick drank alcohol for the first time in 2 years and was still in crazy mode from them spending 3 weeks on the road with no water, food, or shelter. The way he stared at running water for the first time in forever I mean he was mentally ill and Jessie was just a moment of insanity. And my final note, the fact that Jessie has never been mentioned since 6.09 is further proof that she wasn't anything important. lol :)

[​IMG]

#17 DixonGrimes, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  18. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    The Governor showed some interest in Michonne and was trying so hard to keep her until she killed the zombies for the pit

DavieVC likes this.
  19. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Where did Abraham hit on her at the party? I don't see it at all. Maybe I am just blind? I've seen many fans comment on this, and I don't see it no matter how hard I try. Abraham is very blunt. If he were flirting, I think we'd know.

Abraham: [looking at her plastic sword] You packing different steel nowadays?
    Michonne: (chuckles) Yeah.
    Abraham: Live by it, you die by it... and eat potato puffs by it. Pray to God you don't have to use it again. Pray to God you don't get used to not using it again. It's on your back... even when it's off your back.
    Michonne: How much have you had to drink?
    (both laugh)
    Abraham: I am a large man. And I have had many beers to make up for that. And you know what? By that brave act, I have-- I have come to realize that things have worked out pretty damn well for me. How about you? What have you done?
    Michonne: I put on this dress.
    Abraham: Try again.​

I thought it was a nice conversation between friends. It made me wish we got more scenes between them, but flirtation I do not see.

20. Consigliere

Consigliere Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    DixonGrimes I'm not going to lie I did think they were going to go with Michonne & Daryl back then. I was going back and forth w/ are they going to do Richonne or Daryl & Michonne.. I forget the name for Daryl & Michonne...