1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Richonne: Good or Bad for Michonne's Development?

Discussion in 'Michonne / Danai Gurira' started by QueenOfAlexandria, Dec 31, 2016.

1. SweetDee85

SweetDee85 Richonne Trash
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    [​IMG]

2. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    You mean the same Michonne who got up buck nekkid, katana in hand ready to fight and take out Jesus when he entered their bedroom unannounced post-coital Richonne sex bliss? The same Michonne who negotiated more time for Jesus when he needed to get the supplies for them, and Rick agreed? The same Michonne who defiantly stared Negan down during the clearing line up? The same Michonne who carried a deer on her back, and then did an epic and defiant deer mic drop, bounced, and :deuces: TF out in front of Negan and the Saviors and didn't GAF? The same Michonne, who was with Rick and Daryl during the Savior raid, weapon in hand, taking out folks right and left? The same woman who went out on her own, to practice her sniping skills so she can be proficient at an additional weapon besides her Katana, the same woman who created a walker blockade to catch a Savior to get intel for the group, to "see things for herself" and then killing the Savior woman and pretty much granting the womans death wish, (while checking out her shoes mind you :michonneeye:) and giving zero fu*ks? The strong woman who essentially wants to fight and go to war alongside her man and pushed/urged him to do the same with her epic love ride or die speech? THAT Michonne? When was Michonne baby sitting Judith, because if I recall, that has been the role of Olivia while Michonne had sh*t to do like fight for her family/TF survival against Negan. She has not nor ever been presented as simply a mother for Rick's children nor a shelter simply for Rick. She has been a woman, a warrior, a lover, a leader, a strategist, a friend, a confidant, all of it. And it has been glorious to watch for this Michonne stan.

And folks keep putting these expectations on what Michonne has/hasn't done because I think some forget it has been less than a month since Richonne has gone canon. I know, it feels like longer since it happened back in February of last year, but on the show it's only been a span of a few weeks. When Richonne went canon, you then had the Savior raid, and then Negan/Glenn/Abe deaths and Richonne have barely had time to breath, let alone be together romantically with the exception of East, and it went to hell after that. Richonne are brand new, were immediately placed at odds during 7A after the Negan fu*kery and deaths of two close TF members, and they finished weathering their toughest storm together and early on in their relationship and came out stronger and more in love than ever, as a team. Andy said Michonne is "key" to this season and I think that what intel Michonne learned from the Savior will come into play again. She isn't going to sit back and be the good wifey who stays at home and takes care of her children ( and yes, they are her children at this point, biology be damned) while her man goes to war She will be right along with Rick as co-leader, strategizing, thinking, planning, and participating in the take down of Negan along with TF. Yes, she is Rick's rock, but he is hers as well.

#22 ALDGRichonneLover, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  3. Spingirl 61

Spingirl 61 Walker Bait

Walker Pets:

Well said

4. epiath

epiath Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I really don't think Richonne will hinder/is hindering Mich's development. I have been wanting more from her character for some time now; so any thing has been impeding her development it has existed from way before now.

5. Rickdickulous Trash

Rickdickulous Trash Bring me the Samurai...
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    All I know is Michonne's warrior nature wrapped up in resounding sexiness has been VOLCANIC this season!

I hate to sound so blood lusty but she's been off the hook...warrior Michonne is just the hottest thing I've ever seen!

The kissing scenes are straight fire, the looks she gives, the tenderness, the intense femininity...

That in contrast to her casually killing walkers then taking that woman hostage and killing her..And looking so unbelievably bad ass doing it.

I don't know if they did it on purpose but she's smoking hot in these scenes..

And her voice...I just can't with this chick!!!!

What was the question???

6. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

Basically it seems like Rick's relationships get the most attention, which makes sense but I do wish Gimple paid attention to Michonne's in this regard. I've been thinking about the current cast and the filming info we know about I can't think of anyone they will pair up with her. I think this season is all about Rick for Michonne because this is Richonne development season. Maybe during AOW, she will make a new friend, Idk.
    I feel like Daryl is in the same boat. His friendship with Carol has been stagnant since season 5 and like Michonne, his only other friend is Rick. Tara basically has the most friends/relationships next to Rick´┐╝ and now she can add the Cyndie connection to that. Maybe Tara is taking over the show:negan:

Rickdickulous Trash likes this.
  7. Rickdickulous Trash

Rickdickulous Trash Bring me the Samurai...
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Definitely need more relationship development between TF.

The show seems to keep forgetting that's the most important part.

Mischonne likes this.
  8. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    In watching the marathon over the weekend, every commercial for 7b, had Michonne front and center with Rick. Just saying:bravo::bravo:

9. sims24

sims24 Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    I am cool with Richonne but I sometimes think because the writers are not the best they dont understand how to keep the love interest as individuals and a unit working to serve a purpose and it is annoying. Like for example Michonne should still be allowed to be free same with Rick but it should push the story forward and be crucial to the next arc like in the comics Michonne is crucial because she gets Ezekiel ready to fight, and helps them fight against the saviors making her crucial to the arc and I hate how they act like because she is with Rick she cant do certain character arcs which is annoying to me so in a way they are stopping her development and I do not like it. Also, they need to stop writing her character developing moments with Carl and Rick only like put her with Maggie or another woman for a development. It is not impossible to do and would only make her character better..

Rickdickulous Trash likes this.
  10. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think that's because Gimple is sticking with the comic book roles, and he has given Michonne the role of Andrea, so a lot of the comic Michonne material is getting moved to characters who need arcs. It appears Carol is getting comic Michonne's arc since she's already at the Kingdom and getting Ezekiel to fight seems to be more Carol's pursuit than TV Michonne's.

There's just not enough screen time in the season to have Michonne in so many places. To have her develop a bond with Ezekiel strong enough to get him to fight + handling the ASZ-arc in an Andrea-like role -- it just isn't going to happen.

I would like to see Michonne have more bonding with other characters -- but this is something I would like to see across the board with all characters. They need to break out of their little groups.

11. sims24

Walker Pets:

And see I dont like him Scott Gimple doing that either because to me even though I have read the comics I wish he would just let the tv characters and comic characters stay in their own world and instead of saying I gave them parts of Andrea blah blah just say I put Rick and Michonne together because it made sense not because I gave her the romance part of Andrea when in the comics Michonne had romances... it annoys me because to me the tv characters are their own entities and I didnt want exact copies for the tv show because certain comic books arcs work but dont translate to tv and because each actor brings a uniqueness to the character so for me I wish folks would just let TV Michonne be TV Michonne without referencing Andrea because to me she is not comic Andrea she is TV Michonne her own unique character. But I do agree I wish they would break up the groups for character development rather than only putting them with their own groups like I would love to see more of Michonne and Maggie and I enjoyed seeing Aaron and RIck but see if Daryl was around that would not have happened so a part of me does want them to break them up but only if it leads to more development you know what I mean.

12. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    If the TV characters are their own entities, there's no reason Michonne would be the one to get Ezekiel to go to war. That was solely a comic Michonne arc -- and it wouldn't make such sense for TV Michonne to do it.

I do agree Gimple is going "too hard" to fit everyone into the comic mold, and he seems to have taken the idea of translating the comics way too seriously, but I do think streamlining the characters to particular stories isn't a bad call.

Gekari and MamaGrimes like this.
  13. TakemetoRick

TakemetoRick Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    I blame faithfulness to the comic story structure on Kirkman. I'm just so glad that he allowed the show to put Rick and Michonne together.

MamaGrimes and Doctor Grimes like this.
  14. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Personally I think it's too early to say whether or not Richonne has stunted Michonne's growth and development as an individual character; however I do have concerns that having a romantic relationship with Rick is the best that we can expect from this character. Time will tell....

15. QueenOfAlexandria

QueenOfAlexandria Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    It's like I said: we could always be screwed over in the future, but I'm speaking more presently in the story. The beginning is just as important as what happens later on down the road. If there are red flags in the beginning that aren't being acknowledged or resolved, then that gives you evidence of a problem that may continue to reoccur as time goes on. The beginning sets a standard for the entire relationship, in terms of expectations and trajectory. There are relationships on other shows right now that are having a difficult time balancing individual characterization and a new relationship. Those other shows may be shaped & molded by different writers, but history repeats itself sometimes. Especially where Black women are concerned.

I definitely disagree with that last point; I understand what you mean, but I wholly disagree. It's like I said in the original post: we all want more for Michonne, but it's not just a Michonne problem. It's a show problem because Michonne isn't the only one lacking in some ways. If it were just a Michonne problem, then I'd be right there with you because that would be very specific and suspicious but it's not. It's important to note that distinction because the fact that Michonne isn't the only one to suffer from the writing means it has more to do with the incompetency of the writers than anything else.

ALDGRichonneLover and SweetDee85 like this.
  16. sims24

Walker Pets:
    Yeah I would just appreciate it if he would stop trying so hard to force it when if he would just focus on storytelling and writing it would flow much better and development would occur without him having to do all the extra... you know what I mean.... and sometimes I kind of wish he had better writers on his team or bring back the ones who wrote some of the better episodes for development like I enjoyed Seth Hoffman writing I think that is his name...