1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Rick's best and worst decision?

Discussion in 'Rick / Andrew Lincoln' started by Patty Ran, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Patty Ran

Patty Ran Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    I love Rick Grimes, from that very first moment in episode 1, when he called out to that little girl. No doubt he is freaking awesome. But over the course of ~7 season, as a leader, he has made decisions that ranged from great to awful. What, in your opinion is his best one and his worst one??

2. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    My best and worst moments for Rick are out of the 7 seasons:

Best Moment: When Rick got Michonne some mints, kissed her and slept with her; as well as, the next day he continued his PDA with her because he was smitten head over heals in love even reaching across the RV just to hold her hand and touch her leg. I love Richonne so much and so that's why that moment wins at the best Rick moment. :hearts:

Worst Moment: In 7.4 when the creepy ugly guy was telling Enid to "say please little girl," Rick did nothing to stop it. I completely understand the view point that he doesn't want anyone else to die but when I think about how he asked if Daryl could stay and he asked if he could have 1 second with Michonne. I really wish Rick had asked Negan to tell his men to leave the young teen girl alone. Even Carl looked at him shockingly when Rick said, "they'll be gone soon." The whole scene was vile to watch. :cautious:

I think Rick's good moments as leader far out way the bad. I think he tries the best he can and I respect him :)

3. walkinggirl26

walkinggirl26 Rick's Right-Hand Woman
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Rick's best decision: Never kicking Michonne out of the group even though he kept saying that he was, lol! Oh, Rick!:notlooking:

Rick's worst decision: Not doing more recon of Negan and Saviors and relying on Abe and Daryl's confidence that they could easily take care of them.

But I also think he's made more good decisions than bad and some decisions that he let others make that maybe if they had listened to him wouldn't have turned out badly like Grady and Gareth and Co.

4. Patty Ran

Patty Ran Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    Oh Gosh, I had forgotten about that creepy guy and Enid. You are right, I was so surprised he didn't step up for Enid. She is his son's age, so just a kid. But he didn't even point that out to Negan.

DixonGrimes likes this.
  5. Patty Ran

Patty Ran Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    That one is my vote for his best decision too! He was in a really bad place, he refused to take in Tyreese and Sasha, they had to leave. But even in his worst moments, he didn't insist on her leaving, and took her word to go after Glenn and Maggie to Woodbury. That was huge, given how crazed he was.

6. Ms.J.Richonne

Ms.J.Richonne "You can smile now"
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    100% cosign this comment

Philly Girl likes this.
  7. Patty Ran

Patty Ran Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    Not doing recon is pretty up there. Apart from Daryl and Abraham, Rick relied on the Hilltop's information about the outpost. Never verified it. Now Michonne questions who in there was Negan, however the ensuing events make sure they don't get an answer right away. Even after they rescue Maggie and Carol, they don't have an answer to that very important question.
    One of Rick's big blunders was killing that Saviour after rescuing Maggie and Carol. Keeping him alive, they could have tried to get some information out of him.

walkinggirl26 and Ms.J.Richonne like this.
  8. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Ooh this is tough.

Best Decision: Going out to get Hershel from the bar in "Nebraska" -- it was so integral to the survival of the group to have Hershel with them and gain his trust. The reason I think it's the best decision is he actually went to bat for it because Lori didn't want him to go. It couldn't have been easy for him to basically say, "I'm doing this whether you like it or not" to his wife.

Worst Decision: Not telling the group the secret Jenner told him. I will never understand why he didn't tell them.

9. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    As a Rick stan, it will be impossible for me to think of ONE so I'll probably be back numerous times.

Best decision: Raise and love Judith as his own. He didn't even give it a thought. That baby girl is his in every way that matters. :heart::beardsmile::jude:

Worst decision: My heart's not in this one but I'll throw out not immediately tracking the governor (Daryl's an excellent tracker) and putting him down. That should have been his number one priority (but I understand he had a homicidal son to worry about and building a community and many other things....)

10. Patty Ran

Patty Ran Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    The Judith decision is a good one. He loves her as much as he loves Carl, and that's saying a lot, considering Judith is a living reminder of his wife's infidelity and his friend's betrayal.

Ms.J.Richonne and MamaGrimes like this.
  11. Patty Ran

Patty Ran Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    I agree about the Hershel decision. Somehow I think, that tilted Hershel to trust and support Rick in a very strong way.

MamaGrimes and Doctor Grimes like this.
  12. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It was unconscious -- he couldn't resist. He was smitten from the moment he met her. :hearts:

MamaGrimes likes this.
  13. TakemetoRick

TakemetoRick Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    This is difficult because Rick makes a lot of decisions when you really think about it and there were a bunch he made early on that were necessary for him to keep living, or for the group to keep living. I would say that one of Rick's smartest decisions pretty early on was to kill Shane. I think his best decision was letting Michonne into the group and being the kind of leader who knows how to leverage the strengths of his team. He wouldn't have been able to face some of the challenges he has without TF, and he has a knack for rallying the troops and getting people to fight when they need to.

MamaGrimes and Ms.J.Richonne like this.
  14. ReeciePiecey

ReeciePiecey Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    You know as much as people complain about Rick's poor decision making I don't think his decisions are that bad or I don't think anyone else on the show could do a better job.

For Best decision: I'm going to be a bit controversial and site two initial decisions that are in the same vein but going back for Merle and not leaving until they found Sophia were the best decision Rick made. Going back for Merle helped Rick to gain Daryl's loyalty something that has been invaluable to his and the group's survival and looking for Sophia was just further confirmation that Rick was the type of leader who wouldn't leave you behind no matter what. I think that buys more loyalty than anything else.

For Bad decision: I would say when he rode into Atlanta on that horse like he didn't know there was a ZA going on. It was just really dumb lol. Other decisions were questionable but that was just silly. :rickgrin:

#14 ReeciePiecey, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Minty, MamaGrimes and Ms.J.Richonne like this.
  15. TakemetoRick

TakemetoRick Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    These are both really good. Both decisions immediately defined him as a good person (the protagonist, actually) and also set up important character conflicts.

ReeciePiecey likes this.
  16. ReeciePiecey

ReeciePiecey Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Thanks and yeah, I don't think people follow Rick because he is a great leader, they follow him because they can count on him to care for them and keep them alive. We have seen lots of different leadership styles in the ZA but rarely do we see leaders who are willing to die for their people. Who wont leave someone behind if it means risking "the needs of the many".

17. MrsG

MrsG The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    Worst: Reconciling with Lori :puke::thumbsdown::mad::dearagony:
    Best: Dumping Lori :deuces::lori::lol:XD

QueenTee likes this.
  18. Ms.J.Richonne

Ms.J.Richonne "You can smile now"
    Patron

Walker Pets:

You are so wrong for that...lol

MrsG likes this.
  19. Patty Ran

Patty Ran Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    Hahahahhaha:laugh:

MrsG likes this.
  20. Motherdick

Motherdick Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:
    Best moment: not killing Jesus and showing humanity

Worse moment: being cocky and ignoring Maggie's warning about how a fight will happen