1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Rosita Criticism Thread

Discussion in 'Rosita / Christian Serratos' started by Lickidesplit, May 4, 2016.

1. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I just want to know where she is getting her lipstick? Her lipstick and eyebrow game is on point.

tuswig, TakemetoRick, Katbird and 2 others like this.
  2. Dobbying

Dobbying Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    I think the problem is that both Abraham/Sasha and Abraham/Rosita were written purely for Abraham's character development. Like the scene where he physically intimidates Rosita is there as a link to his wife being scared of him after he killed all those men. Later in the season Rosita tells him she knew he wouldn't hit her, absolving him of the guilt he's carrying over his wife. The writers didn't care to show us how Rosita felt about it for herself though. Getting away from Abraham did wonders for Rosita's character development (and IMO being linked with Abe completely stalled Sasha's in season 6).

3. Lickidesplit

Lickidesplit 2/21/16
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    In comparison to the other women on the show, I don't see her as a strong character either. I guess she has potential but so does any other rando Alexandrian.

4. sims24

sims24 Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    Yes and you pointed out that I forgot he was acting crazy with the water bottle scene too and I feel so bad for her because they have yet to give us her back story so we can start to really understand her you know what I mean idk I just think they are ruining her character and its so annoying to me because no offense to anyone because my biggest problem is her reasoning for wanting to kill Negan not over Glenn who was her friend but over an ex jerkwad boyfriend who she should be happy is gone because she gets to be her best self without a guy like him holding her back...idk thats just how I feel...they both deserved better...

DarkandStormy likes this.
  5. QueenOfAlexandria

QueenOfAlexandria Post-Apocalyptic Power Couples Rule!
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That's another thing - the way the writers went about that relationship. When Rosita & Abraham weren't arguing about something, they were having sex or their conversations would allude to sex. We never got anything tangible from them. I guess Rosita grew to depend on Abraham because of their circumstances, but nothing in the writing told me they were anything more than glorified fuck buddies. I'm just gonna be honest about it, which is why I didn't quite understand her anger when he broke up with her. Maybe she feels like she owes him because he kept her alive and as a result of that, she grew attached to him? I don't know. I guess if we're looking at it from a purely surface level perspective, then it would make sense. But if you look any deeper than that, then none of this is gonna make sense. It hurts to be rejected, but Rosita mourning that relationship any longer than that is extremely jarring. Since we didn't get a chance to get a more in-depth look into her feelings when it came to Abraham, I could not tell you how she felt about him. The anger thing is much easier to rationalize though; some people are angry when someone close to them dies. Hell, all of Team Family is angry so I understand her anger as a result of his death. Everything else? I'm less sure about.

Again, all of this goes back to Rosita not being a well-rounded character. It all goes back to the fact that the writers refused to flesh her out until she's been here for 2.5 seasons now. The writers felt like she was better off as eye candy, because that's what I got from her character. Even the things I'm able to come up with in regards to her now is nothing more than conjecture, because we've only had half of a season of any real character development on her part. Also, I'm glad to see all this individual development but I feel like it's a little too late for her to grow on some fans. With the general audience, they have a tendency to have a short attention span when it comes to certain things. So all this just may be a little too late for that audience, because Rosita didn't have a particularly memorable introduction and her subsequent scenes following said introduction weren't exactly extraordinary either. So if the writers are giving her all this screen time in an effort to make the audience like her, I'm not sure how effective it will be.

sims24 likes this.
  6. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    She's a female Daryl right now but with less of a connection to team family. The fact nobody hugged her when they went to Hilltop says it all.

7. sims24

Walker Pets:

I am really hoping that they give her a cool character arc so we can like her and make her into a complete complex character instead of one dimensional or even just a "strong woman" and I hate that trope too because why does she have to be broken down to strong woman why not a full woman in all of her complexities as one. Like women can be strong but they should be allowed to be weak, cry, angry, sad, depressed, enraged, detached, blank, assassins, complicated, sexual, spiritual, smart, crazy, etc I just hate how everyone wants to box in the woman because thats all the writing wants to show like okay we have seen Rosita sad, angry, revengeful and what they consider strong but she is more than that...you know what I mean she deserves to be well rounded and a complete human.

candi18z, box5angel, Katbird and 2 others like this.
  8. DarkandStormy

DarkandStormy Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    That's an interesting point. It also says to me that what goes around comes around. Rosita didn't hug Tara (her closest female friend) when Tara returned by the skin of her teeth to find Denise and others murdered in her absence. Rosita stood back and said she was sorry. I don't think she conveyed any warmth in that scene ~ or at least it wasn't coming though to me.

tuswig, Katbird and QueenOfAlexandria like this.
  9. QueenOfAlexandria

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Exactly! Michonne & Sasha hugged each other in 7x08, and they're not even that close. Yet, Rosita couldn't (or wouldn't) hug Tara when she found out about Denise, Glenn, & Abraham. Rosita & Tara have always had a close friendship, and we've seen that in the show so I don't understand that either. Denise was Tara's girlfriend, and Tara & Glenn had grown rather close after The Governor happened so .... what gives? Is it deliberate? Are the writers intentionally doing this? Because I saw more warmth from Rosita towards Tara when she woke up in the infirmary than I did in the scene where Tara found out about Denise. Even if this is karma coming back around, what's the endgame for Rosita? Especially in regards to all of this. Why would the writers make that choice for her?

tuswig, Katbird and DarkandStormy like this.
  10. sims24

Walker Pets:
    Also do you guys feel that its because of the writing these things happen or is it because they dont have enough time or I kind of feel its a combination of them all but they also put in scenes that we could really substitute for character building and relationship building.

11. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    That scene was played a bit stiff to me too. My ambivalence about/toward Rosita may change as her trajectory changes. They seem to be fleshing her out some, tightening her up, for this speculated pairing with Daryl. Rosita has the feel of a dispossessed person to me. That was made more evident after she separated from Abraham. I do think if the writing improves, she can be quasi-interesting. I want a solid backstory for her if she is does get with Daryl. Rosita can handle the za, and she was pretty good at dealing with Abe and, has a couple of reasons to want to deal with Negan and the Saviors. They have Eugene and killed Abe and Glenn...Abe was her guy, of course. And to me, Glenn bridged yet another group together when their group became his group on the road... he was the leader. Now, she has to handle herself better since she lost the her strongest connections to Team Family...hmm, it all seems like a series of touch points for her, now that I think about it. Maybe that's why the new direction toward Daryl? I don't know. But that character needs some attention or some sort of end.

Glory and DarkandStormy like this.
  12. QueenOfAlexandria

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Unfortunately, I think we're going to get both. I say it's unfortunate because of what we know from past seasons. There's a possibility the writers are giving Rosita so much screen time in an effort to get more people to care about her character if/when she ends up with Daryl. Sadly, anyone who gets close to Daryl dies in order to progress his story. In S5, Beth's closeness with Daryl only served to progress his arc and the same went for Denise. We saw Daryl react more to Denise's death than her own girlfriend, which is why it lends credence to their friendship only existing for Daryl's sake. So, we're getting more of her because the writers want us to care whenever they go through with whatever arc they plan on doing for her, but Rosita will die if she ends up with Daryl. But her relationship with Daryl gives her a strong connection to Team Family because she doesn't really have any ties to them. That much is definitely true.

I would love to be wrong about this though; I would love to see something different from the writers, but I don't trust them enough to do something original at this point.

DarkandStormy, Glory and Katbird like this.
  13. QueenOfAlexandria

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think it's a combination of a lot of things - the writing, their inability to use their time wisely, and the acting. The writers waste their time on a lot of scenes for certain characters that can be left on the cutting room floor. There's quite a bit of things that happened in this half that didn't even have to make it to our screens. There are at least 2-3 episodes of this half that could have been condensed into one episode, because we don't need an entire episode dedicated to communities that we're not going to see again. That's a waste of time. With Christian, I'm not sure how strong of an actor she is. I know she's been in Twilight and that Nickelodeon show, but that was more teenybopper than grit. The acting needed for those kinds of TV/film is a different kind of acting that's needed for a show like TWD, so I'm not sure if she knows how to bring that kind of skill to the forefront. Especially when you look at the acting skill of other people in the cast. There are some scenes where I feel like she's shining (e.g. Rosita's scene with Father Gabriel in the church). Then there are others where I'm not feeling it (e.g. the scene with Tara in 7x06 or Rosita during the line-up). So, I'm not sure yet.

14. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I hate that the only Latina character on this show gets so much hate. I wish they had cast a better actress and developed her more. I think Christian does well sometimes but her delivery isn't consistent. I did love her scene with Gabe (mostly because of Seth) and for the first time I felt like I understood her story.

tuswig, QueenOfAlexandria and Glory like this.
  15. sims24

Walker Pets:
    I agree some of the actors do not live up to the quality as the others which means one character is carrying the scene like when she was with Seth G or Father G I felt he carried those scenes because something about her tears didnt feel natural to me

16. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    @QueenOfAlexandria , so that horrible night in the clearing was a sort of full stop for her, losing Abe and Glenn. Then, a turn towards Daryl, his defense of her and her being there because of him. Since, I don't see the creatives being brave enough, hope I'm wrong, to have Maggie and Daryl speak of what lead to Glenn being killed, I feel that subject/topic being a conversation between Daryl and Rosita. To make the Daryl/Rosita thing happen, they probably need that conversation to take place. Well, I'm getting on my own nerves thinking about that in that context. I hope I'm way off base. I usually am, lol.

17. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I'm not crazy about her but Rosita was okay with me until she did that dumb shit trying to kill Negan. She really loved Abe, he wasn't my cup of tea as a choice for a lover but hey she loved him. She was really hurt when he dumped her but to her credit she put on her big girl panties and did her job and tried to move on with her life. She was still in love with Abe when he was killed and she is grieving and angry. As the goddess says "anger makes you stupid", trying to kill Negan was stupid and unfortunately it got Olivia killed and Eugene taken. Since this Negan/Savior debacle began many on TF have done stupid things that have gotten people killed Daryl, Carl and Rosita the worst offenders. Hopefully Rosita has learned from her bad choices and the guilt she has to live with and she'll be a better stronger person going forward.

18. Carribean_Queen

Carribean_Queen Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    No she wasn't wallowing in self-pity but her stank attitude is out of place. I'd be damned if I got all bent outta shape over a man that tells me he's got other options ... dumped my arse and I'm gonna feel someway because he bit the dust. Call me cold but I'd be the first to dance on his grave.

#78 Carribean_Queen, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  19. candi18z

candi18z Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    I agree. I am tired of the "Strong Woman" trope as well, because writers seem to write these women the same way. They are angry, combative, rude, humorless, hostile characters. I've seen this type of character on 100's of shows. She is always against the other characters and doesn't play well with others. Most fans hate this type of character, yet writers keep writing this type of woman. Because they equate hostility and anger with strength. The current writing for Carol is an example of this trope.

In my opinion, Rosita hasn't become the "Strong Woman" yet because she can never do anything on her own. The Strong Woman trope character neither wants nor needs anyone's help, and she always lets the other characters know it. Rosita is sassy but she still needs people to help her, and she doesn't want to be alone. Rosita needs to be fleshed out as a character. She needs more pov scenes like the ones with Father G. Rosita needs to be more than the hot sassy girl.

20. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I think its cause of the writing. I think Kirkman created a faceless sexual object when he made Rosita in the comic. I think that is a lot of the reason why people dislike Rosita is that she was hypersexualized (who wears shorts that short in the middle of a zombie apocalypse). It was extremely problematic to write and very stereotypical. I will even take it down to the sex scenes that Rosita is a part of. Please compare Glenn vs. Maggie, Rick vs. Michonne, and Rosita vs. Abraham.

Her story line until this past season has always been about the man she is involved with. The source material failed to develop Rosita to this point. Since TWD is trying to stay more on comic book than in previous seasons (when it come to showcasing big Negan moments, major events, etc.), there just wasn't sufficient time to re-write Rosita's shitty development up to Season 7. And now that she is getting written up more, it is at the expense of following major story lines elsewhere. Fear the Walking Dead has a heavy Latino cast because of its setting and they did a better job of building the female latina characters there (Ofelia and Luciana). They are Latina but it isn't the biggest things that define them. Its just a part of their background. That is the way it should be.