1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Rosita Criticism Thread

Discussion in 'Rosita / Christian Serratos' started by Lickidesplit, May 4, 2016.

1. QueenofPeace

QueenofPeace hearts still beating
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    .......why was Abraham being a demeaning asshole funny again? I'm not seeing the humor in the way he treated her. Even if I dislike a character, I'm not going to sign off on pure disrespect and demeaning treatment, and that's pretty much how Abraham handled their break up. Whether or not you "care" about Rosita or find her useless, whatever, it's plain as day that she was done wrong by her break up with Abraham. And this is coming from someone who likes Abraham and is saddened by his death.

I can see the whole argument "Rosita should have known better" being brought up as an excuse for such crass behavior. But I'm sorry.....no. Yes, clearly Abraham was not the best boyfriend, he not thoughtful or particularly caring or sentimental, but this is the ZA, and we have to keep in mind people latch onto each other and find salvation and comfort in one another. You cannot apply current day standards to the ZA. What I'm saying is, Abraham wouldn't have been Rosita's first choice either, but she did care about him, and they spent a long time together that clearly allowed for some sort of attachment and established relationship. Thus Rosita DID NOT deserve to be discarded so carelessly and brusquely. This is why the Sasha and Abraham relationship never sat right with me. The build up and dismal of Rosita/Abraham was handled poorly. Honestly, it made Abraham look bad.

2. QueenofPeace

QueenofPeace hearts still beating
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Can I ask specifically why? She has demonstrated on several occasions to handle herself quite adaptly in various scenarios as well as being equipt and well-versed enough to conduct weapons training. She has expressed emotional/mental instability, but so have the other female characters, specifically Sasha and Maggie since they are also the two females grieving right now. Honestly, she is frequently downplayed and disregarded, which I find bemusing. Rosita cannot win with some. If she is showcased then it's complained about how she's boring, weak, or viewer "does not care", but if she's not showcased then people complain about how she's boring, weak, or generally "do not care". It's a lose lose situation. I wish people would be more forthright and just admit they do not like the character and will never like the character rather than hiding behind same reasonings.....

box5angel and Dobbying like this.
  3. accioval

accioval Watchtower Sniper
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I don't know how exactly I feel about Rosita's character, but I ended up feeling terribly for her during Father Gabriel's chat with her during the church scene. When Father Gabriel told her that she was needed, I felt like a wall that hindered me from understanding her character broke and I ended up feeling extreme empathy and sadness for her, even after she snapped. I definitely think that her actions constituted as irrational and stupid, but I couldn't write off her character for that. I do feel like the acting and writing could be better for her, though.

I understood ultimately why Abraham broke up with her in such an uncouth and heartless manner, but I don't agree with it. But I did appreciate him doing that verses cheating on her, or something. I feel like Rosita took that loss so hard because she probably finally connected or thought she connected with a man and realized her worth in this world, but the writing for her isn't quite there yet. I think that if a backstory is fleshed out, then maybe we could even see her bond and grow amongst the group, but nobody deserves to be alone in this world or that one, so if she's to stay on the show long term then I hope she finds her place and people that love her.

4. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    So strange that now having been "chosen" by Abraham, we lose Sasha, presumably. And, being "dumped" by Abraham, we keep Rosita. Ironic. Rosita's treatment by Abe, maybe it saved her "life".
    I did not like how Abraham treated Rosita, I was glad he didn't pretend or lie. I don't have strong feelings about Rosita, one way or the other. I hate to see any character given short shrift. The writers don't/didn't know what to do with her, I suspect. The situation with Abraham and Sasha, not in the comic, right? Maybe that affected the view of Rosita? I mean, maybe the writers got spooked about two women wanting the same man. What it would mean if Abraham was not definitive in his choice. Needed to make Rosita seem less invested in the future, I guess? There had to be a discussion surrounding Abe's thinking when he chose...the choice was more about him, than Rosita.(?). I don't want to get off topic, so let me leave that train of thought.

#84 Katbird, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2016
    Philly Girl likes this.
  5. Philly Girl

Philly Girl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Abe breaking up with Rosita was the first time I felt something for her. I get why he did what he did, it was the right thing to do but he did it the wrong way. Abe wasn't the most sensitive guy in TF and his abrupt departure was insensitive and brutal. His tone and delivery was fu*ked up. She loved him. And just because he didn't love her it didn't make her love stop. I can't imagine the man I love suddenly and unexpectedly just rolling out one day. She was blindsided. I felt badly for her, still do.

6. Carribean_Queen

Carribean_Queen Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    Yes, I was insensitive but it's Abraham we're talking about, eh? There's virtually little he says that don't make me laugh. Mostly, because it's more omg I know he didn't say that. Abraham is like comic relief you can always count on him to break the ice. I'm a pretty blunt person, I wouldn't say rude or disrespectful but I'm not going to take ten minutes to sugar coat something that can be said in two minutes. Just get to the point.

7. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think the best thing the show can do is to not pair Rosita up with a man anytime soon. It is time for her to learn that she is strong and that she is more than a pretty face and a hot body. It would be a more interesting story to me. Seeing a young lady blossom and become a strong women on her own instead of a man's coat tails.

8. Lickidesplit

Lickidesplit P.I.T.A
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I thought I made it very clear to everyone in this thread, I do not like TV Rosita. I really don't have to have a reason, let alone hide behind one. I'm still in the Rosita Criticism Thread, Right? For a minute there, I thought I was in a Rosita debate thread.

I'm going to keep it short and sweet. Rosita is a boring Character with No depth. She's in the background or she is used to develop others on the show . Her weapons training was to further Eugene's development. Her love Triangle Arc was to further Abe's Development. Now, Gimple wants to take this Dull character and shine her up, so he can eventually use her to further Daryl's development. The rest of her story is filler. Personally, I dislike her because she is a hypersexualize/spicy Latina stereotype. There are other reasons but I really don't feel like getting into it. I just don't like her. I couldn't give a good Got-Damn what anyone thought of that.

I'm being a little hard on Rosita but this is a CRITICISM thread. If you do not like the opinions here, peace out:deuces:(pun intended)

tuswig and DarkandStormy like this.
  9. Dobbying

Dobbying Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    If you wanted this to be a Rosita bashing thread, I think that could have been made clearer (and I definitely would have 'peaced out' if I thought that was the intention). I mean, your OP literally said:

I don't think anyone has to justify hating a character. But when you solicit opinions, some people are going to disagree :denise:

Danaisbestie and box5angel like this.
  10. Lickidesplit

Lickidesplit P.I.T.A
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    It's perfectly fine to disagree. However, when you criticize me for criticizing Rosita in a criticism thread, now I have a problem. Indirectly calling me a hypocrite because I accept the flaws of other characters but not Rosita, stating I hide behind my reasoning. Please take several seats um-Kay.

Ps I do not argue or debate on Forums (anymore). You will not get another response from me. Deuces

11. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Thank you! :bravo:

12. TakemetoRick

TakemetoRick Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    I agree with lot of the previous criticism of Rosita, but since they have kept her around all this time, I'm open to having them finally develop her further and give her something more, even if it furthers Daryl's development. I'd like to see Rosita become someone who can give Daryl what he is missing and make him happy. As annoying as he can be at times, I think his character would benefit from some rounding.

13. DarkandStormy

DarkandStormy Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    I'm watching "Twice As Far" where Denise asked Rosita who taught her how to fight. This was a good opportunity for Rosita to open up about her past and yet, all she would say was a lot of people. She said "if I gave you a name, it would be one name in a long list of names", in a matter-of-fact manner. Denise intuitively understood this when she later tried to tell Rosita that this is the first time Rosita has been alone, and she's stronger than she thinks.

I realize she was recently dumped by Abe and is probably still numb, but this chica does not warm up to attempts to be friendly or relatable, not that many others have reached out to her, and I can see why. She just has a standoffish persona. At least Daryl tried to get to know Denise and her past a little better...

Maybe Daryl can break through Rosita's tough shell, and maybe Rosita can restore Daryl's confidence in himself...or not.

#93 DarkandStormy, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  14. QueenOfAlexandria

QueenOfAlexandria Rick saves everyone, but Michonne saves Rick
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Unfortunately, someone stated this in another thread about another character but I think this rings true for Rosita. As much as I would love for Rosita to remain single and learn how to stand on her own, I don't think that's feasible. Rosita has to have some sort of connection to someone on this show or she's not going to matter. She is going to fade into obscurity. I'm not even saying it needs to be a romantic connection per se, but Rosita needs to have a deeper relationship with someone on this show or her importance is going to dwindle quite fast. Even if we continue to see Rosita shine and get all of this screen time, watching her go around being pissed off at the world and talking crap to everyone is not going to endear her to the audience. Not to mention the fact that's going to get old really fast. So if/when she dies, she's just going to be another character in a long list of characters that no one cares about or remembers.

Contrary to popular belief, no one actually likes those characters who are so 'badass' they don't need anyone or anything. Those characters are usually one-dimensional and there's usually no depth to those characters whatsoever. That's usually all there is to them. Especially when it comes to a character like Rosita who hasn't done anything prior to this season. I don't mind her going through her grief but I want to see something more than just anger from her in the upcoming half and future seasons. I thought her friendship with Tara was deeper than that, but this season has kind of altered that dynamic quite a bit. It's not the same, and that's troubling.

If the writers don't go down the road of putting her with Daryl, then they need to round out her character a lot more. They need to establish and add more depth to her characterization, because it's not going to work otherwise. I don't even ship Rosita with Daryl because I feel like she can do better, but I could see why that may end up happening: as it stands, Rosita has no connections to Team Family at all. She was connected to them through Glenn, but now he's dead. Tara's connection to Team Family isn't strong enough to make up the difference, so why keep Rosita around? Either the writers establish a more direct connection for her or she dies. She's being very impulsive and stupid lately, and that's only going to last for a short while before there needs to be some consequences. Rosita's not a part of the Untouchables of this show, so there needs to be something else. Let us see more of Rosita's friendship with Tara. Do something.

15. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    This is why I didn't care for Rosita in the beginning. She was too standoffish, and seemed to roll her eyes at just about everything and every one. But I started to like her after her scenes in, "Service".

DarkandStormy likes this.
  16. QueenOfAlexandria

QueenOfAlexandria Rick saves everyone, but Michonne saves Rick
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That's mainly why I want to see something more than anger from her in the future, because we saw an unprecedented amount of vulnerability from her in her scenes with Father Gabriel. If we could have more scenes like that, then we're well on our way to fleshing her out a lot more. Most of her angry scenes this season weren't any different than the scenes we got from her pre-S7. She's becoming a lot more than just the Spicy Latinaâ„¢ and that's what we want.

17. Ms.J.Richonne

Ms.J.Richonne "You can smile now"
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Abe was all kinds of foul for the way he dumped her, it hurt my feelings.

box5angel and DarkandStormy like this.
  18. DarkandStormy

DarkandStormy Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    It was really effed up the way Abe broke up with her. She had just given him the necklace she made for him and everything. It hurt my sensibilities.

Nevertheless, I don't condone people who use their hurt feelings as an excuse to hurt others. I'm seeing it far too often IRL.

I hope Rosita acknowkedges that she let her emotions get the best of her, and her "stupid" got someone else killed. Rosita needs an attitude adjustment. If that's not enough, I'll respect her more if she dies during some heroic effort on behalf of the group, i.e., she attempts to infiltrate the Sanctuary and is ultimately killed by Negan.

#98 DarkandStormy, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    QueenOfAlexandria and Katbird like this.
  19. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    This is a little aside, off topic, but why do you guys think Negan said that to Rick about Arat not trusting Olivia? Like it was all ready discussed between the two of them, Negan and Arat...not exactly planned, but it was in the works? They had been messing with Olivia from the beginning. They kinda target someone and zero in on them. I know that's what bullies do, but it seems so pat,. Rosita takes a shot at Negan, she doesn't give up Eugene, Olivia is "chosen". Just how it played out or they have key players to take out/eliminate?

DarkandStormy likes this.
  20. Ms.J.Richonne

Ms.J.Richonne "You can smile now"
    Patron

Walker Pets:

I don't know what to say about Rosita''s dumb ass move that got Olivia killed and Eugene taken. We will see how this plays out in 7b.

Katbird and DarkandStormy like this.