1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta S.S. DARCILLE: All Aboard! [Who did Negan kill? Daryl!]

Discussion in 'Speculation Archive' started by Doctor Grimes, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    A Compilation of Evidence Pointing Towards Daryl Being Negan's Victim
    (a work in progress)
    COMIC HOMAGES

Daryl said a comic line in 6x10 that parallels comic Glenn's pre-Lucille begging:
    Daryl (to Rick in 6x10): "Don't, don't, please don't."
    Comic Glenn (to Negan in issue #100): "Please. Please don't."​

Daryl is in the spot Glenn was in Rick's "coup" speech from the comic book:
    Comic Rick: "From Andrea, from Abraham, from Michonne, from Glenn, from me?"
    TV Rick (from 6x01): "From Glenn, from Michonne, from Daryl, from me?"​

Right after Glenn's death in the comic, Rick asks if they have a blanket to wrap his body:
    [​IMG]

Blanket? Got one:
    [​IMG]

"Too Far Gone" (4x08)

Negan's face-off with Rick was eerily reminiscent of Rick's showdown with the Governor. @The Governor made a great set demonstrating this:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    source: monasax

In 4x08, Michonne was on her knees with Hershel to her right side.
    hershelmichonne.png

In 6x16, Daryl is the one to Michonne's right side.
    darylmichonne.png

And he's rocking some grisly blood on the right side of his neck -- just like Hershel.
    neckwound.png

"Inmates" (4x10)

The unfortunate group of walkers and bodies that Beth and Daryl come across hosts a baseball bat covered in barbed wire.
    baseball.png

"A" (4x16)

[​IMG]

... I think the following transcript speaks for itself:

Joe: [with a gun to Rick's head] "Oh, dearie me. You screwed up, asshole. You hear me? You screwed up. Today is a day of reckoning, sir. Restitution. A balancing of the whole damn universe. Shit, and I was thinking of turning in for the night on New Year's Eve. Now who's gonna count down the ball dropper with me, huh? Mississippi. Nine Mississippi. Eight Mississippi--"
    Daryl: "Joe! Hold up."
    Joe: "You're stopping me on eight, Daryl."
    Daryl: "Just hold up."
    Joe: "This is the guy that killed Lou, so we got nothing to talk about."
    Daryl: "The thing about nowadays is we got nothing but time."
    Joe: "Say your piece, Daryl."
    Daryl: "These people, you're gonna let 'em go. These are good people."
    Joe: "Now, I think Lou would disagree with you on that. I'll, of course, have to speak for him and all 'cause your friend here strangled him in a bathroom."
    Daryl: "You want blood, I get it. Take it from me, man."​

Daryl offered himself up as a sacrifice for Rick's crimes. For the deaths of Joe's men.

"No Sanctuary" (5x01)

Daryl was on his knees, threatened with getting bludgeoned with a baseball bat.
    [​IMG]
    As a possible explanation as to why Glenn is spared from this (as he's the first one in line), Negan did tell the group, "First one's free" (meaning Glenn is safe).

"Always Accountable" (6x06) [great points made by @MamaGrimes]

In 6x06, the first blood shed by the Savior's conflict with the group is Daryl's. He is shot at, falls off his bike, shreds his jacket, and injures his arm.

In 6x06, Daryl falls onto ground in the burnt forest, looks over and sees walker with motorcycle helmet next to him. Camera pans back with this image. Possible foreshadowing of how Lucille's victim will look post-bashing.
    biker.png

While in the burnt, death camp forest, we see the blood from Daryl's injury dripping onto a skull.
    skull.png

Dwight knocks out Daryl with a baseball bat.
    [​IMG]

We are then treated to a scene from Daryl's POV with muted dialogue where he fades in and out of consciousness (guess what?) THREE TIMES. Just like the person in the van.
    wakingup.png

Seem familiar?
    lights5.png

Daryl helps one of Negan's wife (Tina) escape, which is a BIG no-no in Negan's world. In addition, NR said in an interview with the Hollywood Reporter that Negan really doesn't care about his men -- only women:

Had [Rick’s group] not [killed the Saviors], would things be different in the finale with Negan’s arrival?

No, I don’t think Negan cares. “You kill my men, I take it personally.” He doesn’t give a shit about them. Scott said it the best when he said that Negan is the star of his own movie. I think besides your women, he doesn’t really care.

Which could've been a hint. There's no confirmation Tina was one of Negan's wives, but she did look a lot like Amber from the comic -- and Amber was one of Negan's wives who cheated on him.

After Dwight steals his bike and crossbow, Daryl walks back up to skeleton walker with bike helmet and looks at it again.

Sasha writes Daryl's name with a giant "X" in the middle, which could be a callback to the man the Saviors kill in 6x16:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"The Next World" (6x10)

In "The Next World" (6x10), when they meet Jesus for the first time, there's a cigarette poster behind Daryl.

[​IMG]

The brand is "Silver Wings". It's clear it's a fake brand (I'd never heard of it) so I googled "Silver Wings". There's a 1922 lost silent film by that name, but more famously, there's a song by Merle Haggard called "Silver Wings".

Here's the lyrics:

Silver wings shining in the sunlight
    Roaring engines headed somewhere in flight
    They're taking you away, leaving me lonely
    Silver wings slowly fading out of sight

Don't leave me I cry
    Don't take that airplane ride
    But I you did not lock me out of your mind
    But left me standing here behind

What's interesting is this song is about someone leaving his life. Weirder still is the singer/songwriter's first name is Merle. Just like Daryl's brother. Also Daryl has white wings on his back.

"Knots Untie" (6x11)

In 6x11, when they're going through the office building, there's a shot where a poster behind Daryl shows a white hand stretching down to touch his head.

[​IMG]

Now, it's creepy enough on its own, but most hardcore Beatles fans could tell you that "Paul is Dead" theorist believe the "hand over the head" is a symbol of death.

Furthermore, the saying "hand over head" used to mean to do something recklessly without thinking.

"Twice As Far" (6x14)

Guess who was most recently wearing the orange backpack of doom?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"East" (6x15)

Michonne vows to Daryl that she'll "square it" re: Daryl's desire to avenge Denise's death.

Which is sort of an homage to how Daryl was the one to pull Michonne back in 4A from chasing the Governor:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    source: c-sand

Daryl pulled a Merle by going out to pursue Dwight. The dialogue even mirrored "This Sorrowful Life".
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    source: baskervielle

Merle died by doing this; could the same happen to Daryl?

"Last Day on Earth" (6x16)

The Lead Savior (Ogg) tells the scared man in the forest ("X" man):
    The one who fired the first shot, we strung him up to make an example of him.”
    Daryl is the one who made the first shot at the Saviors.

When Negan prepares to bash his victim, the light is hitting the right side of his face, which would fit where Daryl is in the line-up.

Negan looks on either side of the victim:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ... so it can't be anyone on the ends (Eugene, Glenn); but Daryl is buttressed on either side by Michonne and Rosita.

The POV in the van is Daryl's. (POV breakdown analysis here and here)

Right after Negan says, "For that, you're gonna pay", he looks at Daryl:
    [​IMG]

And then looks at him again after he says he's going to beat the holy hell out of one of them:
    [​IMG]

The walker in the line-up had arrows piercing it which could be symbolically representative of St. Sebastian:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

St. Sebastian was beaten to death by cudgels --

... which look like this:
    [​IMG]

Aaron is there for some reason. He is closest to Maggie and Daryl. It would make sense they shoehorned him into the line-up to have a reaction to either one of their deaths.

Other Hints/Clues
    1. Norman Reedus. He has been pushing the fact he'll be back for season 7 an awful lot -- even outright telling people he'll be back and this is before the finale even aired. He also recently got that new reality show courtesy of AMC.
    2. 6B heavily emphasized Daryl and Rick's bond; Rick pointblank told Daryl "You were right" (re: trusting people) and spoke to Daryl about the Law of Averages. Andy and Norman also got a TVGuide cover together.
    3. Daryl's death would greatly impact Rick, Michonne, and Carl; they were the foursome that met up after the prison fell, went into Terminus together, faced the Claimers together, and were given nicknames by Gareth.
    4. Daryl's death could be one of the only catalysts to compel Carol to join the war against Negan now that she has adopted a pacifistic attitude.
    5. Negan's first victim has to be something Gimple has been thinking about for a long time; he would've been planting clues for it since the beginning. So I can't see it being someone fairly new (Aaron) or someone who hasn't had the Lucille omens sprinkled around them (Abraham).
    6. Norman Reedus said "I played Daryl Dixon" in his TV Guide interview with Andrew Lincoln (post here)

Other Points of Discussion
    1. Has Daryl come full-circle? He is following in Merle's footsteps. (post here)
    2. Darabont is currently suing AMC for royalties. Could AMC's desire to skimp Darabont out of more money compel them to write off a character Darabont created? Does Darabont still have creative rights to Daryl Dixon? (post here)
    3. In their TV Guide interview, after saying Rick and Daryl should crossover to South Park, AL joked that NR is "Kenny" -- a character who is known for dying all the time (post here)
    4. Could Dwight have deliberately hunted Daryl for Negan's benefit? (posts here and here)

Evidence Against Darcille

1. Daryl is injured. Would Negan really bludgeon a man with a bullet in his shoulder? (rebuttal to this argument here)
    2. Daryl and Dwight could possibly have an arc in season 7.
    3. MMB made a comment recently about Daryl and Carol's arc moving forward in season 7. She could've been talking generally, but MMB isn't known to troll.
    4. NR has said he'll be back for season 7.
    5. In "Knots Untie", the victim taken captive by the Saviors was changed from Ethan's wife (Crystal) to Ethan's brother (Craig), which could be indicative of the Saviors taking Rick's "brother" (Daryl) captive to keep Rick in line. Gimple also alluded that someone would be taking parts of Carl's comic arc. This could mean Daryl taking some of it.

2. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    [​IMG]

I need this. Don't wanna get my hopes up, but seeing as how we were right about Richonne...
    [​IMG]

3. Glennisbae

Glennisbae Searching for Sophia

Walker Pets:
    You're my hero.
    This gives me so much hope.

tuswig, Ship Verse and Doctor Grimes like this.
  4. DaisyRey

DaisyRey This Is Different
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Excellent post, Doc. Thanks for putting this together.

To me, this is the only way it should go, and it's the only way that Gimple/TPTB even begin to start earning the viewers' trust again. I've always thought it had to be either Daryl or Glenn to make sense and to have the impact it needs to move the story along. After Dumpstergate and then the cliffhanger however, l don't think Glenn works anymore. As you've laid out for us, there is a lot of evidence to support Darcille. It all comes down to whether or not TPTB are now serious about writing for their audience and whether or not they have learned from their mistakes.

tuswig, Appetence and Doctor Grimes like this.
  5. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    THIS is why we are the luckiest damn fans in the fandom....We are smart, fabulous and have our shit together. Thank you @Doctor Grimes for your brilliant OP and for capturing Darcille's receipts for us to review!

Be still by beating heart, my ship!!
    [​IMG]

Now, I know there are Daryl fans on this site. Please understand that my hope for Darcille is due to my desire for Glenn to live and for this show to be RELEVANT AGAIN. I'm sure Daryl has more story in him. But Gimple has failed this character for three seasons now. It's just not a good pairing. It's come down to Daryl getting the bat is best for the show and its longevity. That's all.

Now onto the business at hand...

Excellent callback to the governor. I didn't catch the similarity to the car set up and the threatening numbers. I just remembered the fact that that was the last time we saw Rick panicked. And that was the last big death under his watch. Nice parallel.

And when Negan said for that you have to pay, he was referring to the deaths of his men. And who blew up his men with a rocket? Daryl.

And yes! 'First one's free.' Love that. Glenn is going to be okay. Just like he was okay at the trough. His luck will run out another day....

Thank you for starting this thread Doc!! :hearts:

Updating to add...in 6.14, Daryl refused to go down the train tracks the first time around and then when he agreed to....Dwight ambushed them...Tracks and blondes are not good for Daryl...just saying.

6. Mullet of Lies

Mullet of Lies Drowning in an Ocean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This is giving me so much life right now.

[​IMG]

tuswig, Mousey, cgomes and 3 others like this.
  7. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Killing Daryl would certainly restore people's faith who believe this show has become weak. Killing Daryl would be an incredibly fearless move on the part of the writers.

WoodEroc76, Shown, Empress and 5 others like this.
  8. Mullet of Lies

Mullet of Lies Drowning in an Ocean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  9. thesamurai

thesamurai The World Is Ours
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Great post, Doc! I was thinking about making a post cause the evidence is just too compelling, but you beat me to the punch lol

I'm setting myself up for disappointment (and tears) if we're all wrong and it's Glenn after all, but I feel confident that it's going to be Daryl; more confident than I've ever been since 6B started (though I'm still not at 100% just yet).

#9 thesamurai, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  10. LunaFall

LunaFall Nabila went all Hershel on us
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    As a lot of you know, I'm story first (which I'm sure a lot of us here on this site are)... story compels me to board this ship because this makes sense - especially with the law of averages talk and all that has happened with Daryl being in the center of it, be it a direct or indirect cause.... plus, there's too much pointing to him to outright dismiss it.

"Law of averages... has to catch up to us eventually."

We know the women are safe and that Rick and Carl are safe. Of the those that are left, no one fits the bill more than Daryl.

#10 LunaFall, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  11. MamaGrimes

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Another parallel I noticed while re-watching 6.14....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I may need some help spotting the parallel here. Would this be ominous for Eugene?

13. MamaGrimes

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Tyreese was the only one looking at the remains preceding his death. Daryl was the only one looking at Denise as they passed by her body. I could see where it's confusing because they're carrying Eugene like Tyreese was carried. But the parallel was the look....

14. thesamurai

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Doctor Grimes likes this.
  15. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Tell you the truth, I can't see anything. It's just too dark. Would love to see it but my tired old eyes just doesn't see it.

16. thesamurai

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Oh really? I see the two rocks clear as day.

Andre's mom likes this.
  17. Iguessiamhere

Iguessiamhere Survivor of Many Disasters
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Yes I here for this. I don't want anyone to die, but if has to someone Daryl is my number one choice. AMC can take his salary and apply to production budget, because they cheapskates.

Michele, michonne, Jon Snows and 3 others like this.
  18. cgomes

cgomes Ricktator
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Darcille lives?! Yes, I like it.

I really want to believe, I hope you are all right bacause all this sounds really good.

Please God, let it be real.

tuswig and Doctor Grimes like this.
  19. Empress

Empress Permanently mourning Glenn Rhee
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    It's so funny to me because I see the comments on articles and people are pee pee citying their pants thinking it might be Daryl, and acting a fool like
    "If Negan kills Daryl he'll be the most hated villain EVER!1!1!" and hell, that may be true, but I'm just sitting here like :negan: this man is about to be my life long hero.
    As if I didn't love Negan enough already, adding the strong possibility that he's the man who finally once and for all ENDS the greasy, mopey reign of :crydaryl:just
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This literally could not be a better scenario, PLEASE holy Gods of schadenfreude, let my only other OTP sail.
    Darcille is love, Darcille is life
    (We need a prayer circle emoji @Doctor Grimes)

20. LunaFall

LunaFall Nabila went all Hershel on us
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Isn't him being hated kind of the point? Since he's, y'know... a villain? :negan: :lol:

mellowalkerstalker and Jon Snows like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.