1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta S.S. GLUCILLE: All Aboard! [Who did Negan kill? Glenn!]

Discussion in 'Speculation Archive' started by Doctor Grimes, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    A Compilation of Evidence Pointing Towards Glenn Being Negan's Victim
    (a work in progress)​

Evidence For:
    There's a charity luncheon in the Spring with Michael, Norman, and Andy in Atlanta -- presumably when they return to filming. Notice that Steven isn't in attendance.

On @Midnight a year ago, Kirkman said, "Eventually a character named Negan is introduced, and he’s going to bash in Glenn’s brains with a baseball bat called Lucille." (E!Online)

Glenn is surrounded by baseball bat imagery.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Down to baseball caps:
    [​IMG]

Even Maggie is holding a baseball bat when they first meet.
    [​IMG]

Also? He was the first one in line to get his head beat in "No Sanctuary" (well, after the no names)

... and he literally looked upon the photos of poor saps who'd been kissed by Lucille:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maggie told the group it was going to cost them something; what would be a steeper price than her husband?

Maggie looked out on the scene of a woman crying over Ethan's body (which seemed foreboding; hinting she would be in the same position)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of the opening scenes in 6x01 was Deanna in a pool of Reg's blood. Maggie is Deanna's protege. The opening scene of 7x01 could be Maggie lying in a pool of her husband's blood.
    [​IMG]

Maggie was washing Glenn's hair in 6x15 (touching his head)
    [​IMG]
    And these were the lyrics playing:

♪ I was on my way to you ♪ ♪ And I was worried ♪ ♪ I was all torn up and nervous ♪ ♪ 'Cause I knew that you'd be gone ♪ ♪ I knocked and crossed my fingers ♪ ♪ While I waited ♪ ♪ And I couldn't hold the teardrops ♪ ♪ When I walked away alone ♪ ♪ It's all over, it's all over ♪ ♪ My heart echoed, "It's all over ♪ ♪ Every minute that you cry for her ♪ ♪ Is wasted, don't you know?" ♪ ♪ It's all over, it's all over ♪ ♪ My heart echoed, "It's all over ♪ ♪ Stop your cryin', turn around ♪ ♪ And let her go"... ♪ (humming) ♪ I'd been runnin' round in circles ♪ ♪ Like a baby ♪ ♪ I was in a daze because I loved you so ♪ ♪ I couldn't see ♪ ♪ I was broken in a million little pieces ♪ ♪ When I saw enough to realize ♪ ♪ You didn't care for me

"Law of averages" would dictate Glenn's luck has run out; death is going to catch up

The empty jars when Glenn and Maggie are counting pennies could be a sign of an empty future
    [​IMG]

Glenn's name was never fully erased from the memorial wall in Alexandria

Glenn was in the van, so it's possible one of the POV shots in the van is his (if not all); this is especially possible of the last shot is the POV of the victim (and the top of Daryl's head is visible -- Glenn was in the back of the van).

Glenn looked at Maggie in the sideview mirror when he was going out to retrieve Daryl in "East"
    [​IMG]

None of the walkers in the chain-gang in "Last Day on Earth" had items belonging to Glenn, which is kind of weird. (Dunno whether this is good or bad.)

Glenn broke the line after Maggie was threatened, drawing Negan's attention (and possibly his ire)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    (x)

Glenn is one of the people the camera only focused on once during Negan's "eeny meeny" along with Rosita and Eugene. Meaning it could've landed on him.

It was Glenn's death in the comic.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan said the scene will be played relatively straight from the comic (admittedly he said this about the finale; so it's possible he doesn't know how it will shake loose in the premiere):

But what fans really want to know is just how the comic book character will translate on screen. "As far as I know, it's going to be very much parallel to the comic books," Morgan hints. "If you know what's coming, then I don't have to tell you." (TV Guide)​

After the victim is hit on the head, when the camera slowly pans back up, there's no RV in the background. One of the only people who would have this vantage (no RV) behind Negan is Glenn.

Glenn killing for the first time could be him coming "full circle".

Steven Yeun has said he wouldn't mind Glenn receiving his comic death.

Evidence Against:
    Negan shifts his eyes to either side of the victim.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Glenn doesn't have anyone on his right side.

The light is hitting the right side of Negan's face; Glenn is facing the headlights, so the light should be hitting Negan's back

Maggie could possibly have a miscarriage (if she hasn't already); if she does, they won't kill Glenn as the baby was the only thing that kept Maggie moving in the comic. (Thread to discuss this topic here)

Some analysis could eliminate that the POV in the van was Glenn's. It could be Daryl's.

Enid wasn't in the line-up. In fact, she was deliberately locked in a closet. Wouldn't the character who is the comic-equivalent of Sophia be at the Lucille scene if the man who saved her was going to be dying? (Sophia was a noticeable presence at the Lucille scene in the comic.)

Glenn killing as opposed to staying innocent like in the comic could mean they're planning on going a different direction with his character.

2. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Making this one hurt my soul. :|

tuswig, Belle, yuna and 6 others like this.
  3. zahira

zahira Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    great analysis again D: i still hope glenn will live

yuna and Truthfully it's love like this.
  4. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm clearly still hoping for Darcille, and I feel Darcille is the one with the most evidence, but as I was making this I was freaking out a bit. There's a lot to support Glenn dying as well.

5. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    [​IMG]
    Unofficially...I will give you kudos for the compilation but my gif still stands as my official response.

6. Appetence

Appetence Eternally failing at productivity bc TITTD
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  7. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It tears me up just saying this, but you forgot the bashed head collage he sees during his first kill.

I feel like I need to repent :jesus:

8. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    How could I forget. :| Probably because I blocked it out.

9. thesamurai

thesamurai The World Is Ours
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    How could you make this Doc :doge:

10. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Because I hate everything apparently :|

11. Ship Verse

Ship Verse Good Riddance 2016. 2017, Let's talk.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  12. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Well, I expected to read this and feel sad but I couldn't get past the portmanteau "Glucille" and the mental image of Negan bludgeoning a bottle of Elmer's glue it gave me.:|

My brain hasn't been good today, I'll see myself out....

13. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The thing with Glenn getting it that kills me:

IT'S TOO OBVIOUS.

The baseball imagery? Him literally looking at photos?

Everyone and their mother is predicting it will be Glenn. I just don't see how it would be shocking at all.

14. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It doesn't warrant a cliff hanger either. Nothing does, ideally, but at least with Darcille, I could understand what angle they were coming at.

15. Ship Verse

Ship Verse Good Riddance 2016. 2017, Let's talk.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Not to mention I don't think his death does anything like it did for Maggie in the comic. I also can't get around the *only Asian guy. I mean as PC as AMC tries to be. With the issues with the revolving door and black men. With how careful they are with Michonne. Bashing the only Asian dudes head in, I mean I know Steven was joking about being Asian being his job security, but it's kind of true.

Also also, with as many fake outs that they have done for Glenn, I see his death being a shocker. Like Beth's. They'll be no foreshadowing. We won't expect it because every season we are expecting something. Every single fake out would be pointless if we just gonna give him his comic death. He has the most upside too.

michonne, Appetence, Mousey and 2 others like this.
  16. Lugubria

Lugubria Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Maybe that's what they're aiming for. Having you think it's too obvious so that you rule it out and then...

It wouldn't surprise me if they thought they were being extremely clever by going in that direction. My faith in their creativity is minimal.

#16 Lugubria, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  17. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This has unfortunately crossed my mind as well. Also this being some grim play on his earlier dumpster dive. We're left hanging in suspense only to find out Glenn didn't make it out this time.

18. Lugubria

Lugubria Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Yep. And everyone thinking Glenn has nine lives so how could they possibly run out -- until they finally do.

Denie39 and Doctor Grimes like this.
  19. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Some points that bode well for Glenn's favor:
    1. As unfortunate and depressing as it is: Maggie having a miscarriage. It is a mix-up from the comic that Maggie is having this sudden illness. It could be a sign the fate of their child is going to be different. If she loses the baby, I don't see them killing Glenn too. The only reason Maggie was able to carry on after Glenn's death in the comic was her child. Evidence that supports the miscarriage?:
      1. Maggie couldn't get anything to grow at Alexandria. (Barren imagery)
      2. The empty jars on the table.
      3. Would they really want two babies on the show?
      4. Barring all that, Maggie is not only sick, but going through emotional trauma. It would be very unrealistic for her pregnancy to continue at this point.
    2. Glenn said his comic lines from this scene prior to the bludgeoning (crying out for Maggie; begging) -- which might've been a way to squeeze in a comic homage without Glenn losing his life.
    3. On that note, the Lucille scene was too quiet (devoid of begging, Maggie's pleas, etc.); I don't see them stripping those out of the scene. If they do, that was a massive error since Glenn crying out for Maggie with his dying breath was so heart-wrenching.
    4. Glenn is a killer. They kept him innocent in the comic. Why change this if they were going to kill him off? The "innocent lamb to the slaughter" imagery would've been much more poetic had they kept Glenn's hands clean.
    5. The fake-out. I just can't wrap my head around them doing it if Glenn was just going to die anyway.

20. thesamurai

thesamurai The World Is Ours
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    MTE. And also them placing him at the end of the line up (with two feet of space between him and Rosita), and then having him challenge Negan's authority so he could be on Negan's radar.

They are making this a little too obvious (too obvious for a double bluff imo). Like you said they must know the majority of the fans are going to be looking at Glenn the whole time because of his comic death, and are going to be honing in on him the most.

#20 thesamurai, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.