1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Compilation SDCC Round-up Post: Compilation of All SDCC-related Shenanigans

Discussion in 'TWD Conventions' started by Doctor Grimes, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Tyler

Tyler ▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    cool compilation. missing a link to the skybound panel tho

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  2. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That's because I can't find it anywhere. D: I've looked!

3. Tyler

Tyler ▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Ain't looking hard nuff

4. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I wrote this transcript of the Richonne question and answer at the SDCC panel. Figured I'd post it here for documentation purposes.

Fan: [...] Scott, I read "Clear". It changed my life. Thank you. Andy, I'm sorry, you get continuously screwed out of getting an Emmy. Anyway, my question. We live in a country where you can get gunned down in broad daylight for looking too black. And in regards to this show, and its fandom, in spite of careful cultivation and palpable chemistry and blatant close-ups, some were shocked that Rick and Michonne consummated what they'd already had, going so far as to say, 'She's like his sister,' or even more bizarre, 'Like his daughter.'

The erasure of the dark-skinned black woman is what this show is challenging with Michonne - and they've treated her with dignity. She's not fetishized. No one's cheating. And the audience, particularly black girls and women everywhere, can see her be nurtured and loved on screen -- and not be the funny, sexless sidekick. So, thank you profusely for that.

Scott Gimple: [to Danai] Why don't we tag team this?

Danai Gurira: Okay.

Scott Gimple: You know what? I wasn't aware that it would have the effect that it did. And I think it's because I was thinking of these guys as characters. That I was thinking of these guys as -- I don't even like using the term 'guy'. It's kind of patriarchal there. I like thinking of these people.

I think one of the fantasies that we all share about the apocalypse is a lot of the things that separate us -- a lot of the BS that's been foisted on us by society -- falls away. And that people are just measured as who they are. Men, women, any background you have. And seeing all these people as who they are is... I don't know, it's been a dream. To tell these characters without the hang-ups of society on top of them. Um, Danai, do better than that.

Danai Gurira: I think, um, honestly I am really, actually, simply thankful for Mr. Gimple because he is a true, consummate storyteller. And I think that's at the core of everything. Because when you're dealing with a real storyteller, they're not paying attention to what has societally happened, or what other portrayals that have existed, or the stereotypes, because they're not interested in that. They're interested in the humanity. They're interested in what's truly happening, and what connects, and what's cohesive, and what's organic. So when I look at what Mr. Gimple does -- you feel like you can trust yourself as an artist to someone who is going to pursue a true narrative. And I think that's what he did in this instance.

I hear you. I hear you on all fronts. You know, I have always been a black girl, so. Was born that way. So I hear you. I remember when I was in college, I did a course on racial representation and media. And we were all studying different TV shows and how they portrayed race -- knowingly or unknowingly. And it was a pretty unfortunate, dismal portrayal of data collection that we had at the end of the day. And I'm really, really thankful to be a part of a show where I can really see that humanity's pursued before any of that stuff.

I think sometimes to change the picture you usually see on screen can ruffle people because it's change. And change will always cause some people to feel uncomfortable -- and that's okay. That's okay. Be patient with them and take them along. But you know it is something I am deeply thankful for -- that I was a part of a narrative that pursues true narrative and doesn't get caught up in that stuff. So, you know, why not? I understand the validation that's felt, as you mentioned. If I was watching the show, I would feel it. I hope and believe that this will break that barrier and allow more of these potrayals to be more freely expressed.​

#24 Doctor Grimes, Aug 4, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  5. Allie Grimes

Allie Grimes Hiding in Rick's Beard
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    To lend a helping hand, she says, "And I'm really, really thankful to be a part of a show where I can really see that humanity's pursued before any of that stuff."

box5angel and Doctor Grimes like this.
  6. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I thought I heard pursued, but I am using a computer with poor speakers right now so I couldn't really make it out. Thank you!

Allie Grimes likes this.
  7. GrimesGurl

GrimesGurl Spooning with Rick
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    See, this is why I started making monthly contributions to this site. Where else can one get such high dumpster-quality research to fuel one's obsessions? Cudos Doc!!

MsT05, box5angel and Doctor Grimes like this.
  8. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Not sure if this should be a seperate thread or put somehwere else but I'm going to just put it here.
    @Doctor Grimes feel free to move if you think this belongs somewhere else.

Jill (the one that asked the question at SDCC) also met Danai that weekend and wrote about her whole SDCC experience here:
    http://blackgirlnerds.com/meeting-danai-gurira/

I thought this part Danai said so was important because we tend to get bogged down with the negative in the Richonne fandom sometimes:

**She did mention, however, how she wasn’t aware of the flak until I told her. But she also said that she understood the need for validation.

“But try not to focus on that five percent, you know? Don’t give the few negative voices power.” She added that the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

“I don’t seek out the negative and so it’s not even part of my experience. There will always be that type of reaction, but you have to focus on the positive, because it’ll bring you down. Just enjoy them [Rick and Michonne].”***

9. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I will definitely add this when I get a chance! Thank you!

And I agree. I think people just focus on the negative sometimes too. I do it as well, because there's a lot of crap in the online fandom sometimes. But overall? I do think it has been positive. Overwhelmingly so.

I went to The Walking Dead Day event in Cynthiana and pretty much every fan I talk to (which ranged from casual to barely fans to obsessive) loved Michonne and her relationship with Rick. These are people from small town central KY too (and I know how people from that area are stereotyped). I didn't meet one person who was nasty about Michonne or Richonne.

The negative voices are definitely the outliers. They are just loud and lonely.

10. balladsinthebluegrass

balladsinthebluegrass Hold to things that are bright.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Glad to hear the responses were so positive! That says a lot about the popularity of this ship, as well as some evident progress in our society.

11. balladsinthebluegrass

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Your transcripts are the best. :love: I love being able to read what was said.

12. balladsinthebluegrass

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    WHat photo shoot was this image from?
    [​IMG]

box5angel likes this.
  13. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think that was one of the professional shoots they were doing at SDCC. I know they're up on Getty Images.

14. LunaFall

LunaFall Founder of The Bunker Bar
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    And our leading lady is up in front. :hearts:
    Man, everyone looks fantastic in this photo!

15. evesix

evesix Hiding in Dale's RV

Walker Pets:

TVLine's coverage. From here. (105 pics in total if you want to look at other fandoms') ETA: Sorry I can't link directly but that slideshow is in alphabetical order so to see the 3 TWD ones, they (frustratingly) would be near the end!

16. balladsinthebluegrass

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Thank you!
    Before I saw that you posted this, I went back through all the SDCC social media threads until I found @Armte's post. :lol:
    I just wanted it for my sig that badly!
    SDCC Social Media Thread #2

Armte and evesix like this.
  17. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Like the Queen that she is. :thumbsup:

LunaFall likes this.
  18. GrimesGurl

GrimesGurl Spooning with Rick
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I noticed that too @LunaFall, Mich very prominently seated up front right where she belongs!

Jerusha Crystian and LunaFall like this.