1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta Significance Of The Wooden Soldier?

Discussion in 'Dwight / Austin Amelio' started by Doctor Grimes, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    In 6x06, Dwight is seen carving a small wooden soldier figure that he later gives to Daryl in exchange for Tina's insulin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (The other thing I want to know: did Daryl finish it for him or something? Or is this just a continuity error? Because that is NOT the same wooden soldier)
    [​IMG]

Dwight says that his grandfather taught him how to make them; but this isn't really expanded upon.

Now, Gimple does everything for a reason. What is the significance of Dwight's wooden soldier? Does the significance pertain to Dwight or to Daryl?

I did some research and it appears that wooden soldiers are most commonly associated with The Nutcracker and the King of Mice. Most people are familiar with the ballet, but not the original story. Here's the synopsis from Wikipedia (I highlighted the relevant bit):

The story begins on Christmas Eve at the Stahlbaum house. Marie, seven, and her brother, Fritz, eight, sit outside the parlor speculating about what kind of present their godfather, Drosselmeyer, who is a clockmaker and inventor, has made for them. They are at last allowed in, where they receive many splendid gifts, including Drosselmeyer's, which turns out to be a clockwork castle with mechanical people moving about inside it. However, as they can only do the same thing over and over without variation, the children quickly tire of it. At this point, Marie notices a nutcracker, and asks whom he belongs to. Her father tells her that he belongs to all of them, but that since she is so fond of him she will be his special caretaker. She, Fritz, and their sister, Louise, pass him among them, cracking nuts, until Fritz tries to do one that is too big and hard, and the nutcracker's jaw breaks. Marie, upset, takes him away and bandages him with a ribbon from her dress.

When it is time for bed, the children put their Christmas gifts away in the special cabinet where they keep their toys. Fritz and Louise go up to bed, but Marie begs to be allowed to stay with the nutcracker a while longer, and she is allowed to do so. She puts him to bed and tells him that Drosselmeyer will fix his jaw as good as new. At this, his face seems momentarily to come alive, and Marie is frightened, but she then decides it was only her imagination.

The grandfather clock begins to chime, and Marie believes she sees Drosselmeyer sitting on top of it, preventing it from striking. Mice begin to come out from beneath the floor boards, including the seven-headed Mouse King. The dolls in the toy cabinet come alive and begin to move, the nutcracker taking command and leading them into battle after putting Marie's ribbon on as a token. The battle goes to the dolls at first, but they are eventually overwhelmed by the mice. Marie, seeing the nutcracker about to be taken prisoner, takes off her slipper and throws it at the Mouse King, then faints into the toy cabinet's glass door, cutting her arm badly.

Marie wakes up in her bed the next morning with her arm bandaged and tries to tell her parents about the battle between the mice and the dolls, but they do not believe her, thinking that she has had a fever dream caused by the wound she sustained from the broken glass. Drosselmeyer soon arrives with the nutcracker, whose jaw has been fixed, and tells Marie the story of Princess Pirlipat and Madam Mouserinks, who is also known as the Queen of the Mice, which explains how nutcrackers came to be and why they look the way they do.

The Mouse Queen tricked Pirlipat's mother into allowing the Mouse Queen and her children to gobble up the lard that was supposed to go into the sausage that the King was to eat at dinner that evening. The King, enraged at the Mouse Queen for spoiling his supper and upsetting his wife, had his court inventor, whose name happens to be Drosselmeyer, create traps for the Mouse Queen and her children.

The Mouse Queen, angered at the death of her children, swore that she would take revenge on Pirlipat. Pirlipat's mother surrounded her with cats which were supposed to be kept awake by being constantly stroked, however inevitably the nurses who did so fell asleep and the Mouse Queen magically turned Pirlipat ugly, giving her a huge head, a wide grinning mouth, and a cottony beard like a nutcracker. The King blamed Drosselmeyer and gave him four weeks to find a cure. At the end, he had no cure but went to his friend, the court astrologer.

They read Pirlipat's horoscope and told the King that the only way to cure her was to have her eat the nut Crackatook (Krakatuk), which must be cracked and handed to her by a man who had never been shaved nor worn boots since birth, and who must, without opening his eyes hand her the kernel and take seven steps backwards without stumbling. The King sent Drosselmeyer and the astrologer out to look for both, charging them on pain of death not to return until they had found them.

The two men journeyed for many years without finding either the nut or the man, until finally they returned home and found the nut in a small shop. The man turned out to be Drosselmeyer's own nephew. The King, once the nut had been found, promised Pirlipat's hand to whoever could crack it. Many men broke their teeth on it before Drosselmeyer's nephew finally appeared. He cracked it easily and handed it to Pirlipat, who swallowed it and immediately became beautiful again, but Drosselmeyer's nephew, on his seventh backward step, stepped on the Mouse Queen and stumbled, and the curse fell on him, giving him a large head, wide grinning mouth, and cottony beard; in short, making him a nutcracker. The ungrateful Pirlipat, seeing how ugly he had become, refused to marry him and banished him from the castle.

Marie, while she recuperates from her wound, hears the Mouse King whispering to her in the middle of the night, threatening to bite the nutcracker to pieces unless she gives him her sweets and dolls. For the nutcracker's sake, she sacrifices them, but then he wants more and more and finally the nutcracker tells her that if she will just get him a sword, he will finish him off. She asks Fritz for one, and he gives her the one from one of his toy hussars. The next night, the nutcracker comes into Marie's room bearing the Mouse King's seven crowns, and takes her away with him to the doll kingdom, where she sees many wonderful things. She eventually falls asleep in the nutcracker's palace and is brought back home. She tries to tell her mother what happened, but again she is not believed, even when she shows her parents the seven crowns, and she is forbidden to speak of her "dreams" anymore.

As Marie sits in front of the toy cabinet one day, looking at the nutcracker and thinking about all the wondrous things that happened, she can't keep silent anymore and swears to him that if he were ever really real she would never behave as Pirlipat did, and would love him whatever he looked like. At this, there is a bang and she falls off the chair. Her mother comes in to tell her that Drosselmeyer has arrived with his nephew. The latter takes her aside and tells her that by swearing that she would love him in spite of his looks, she broke the curse on him and made him human again. He asks her to marry him. She accepts, and in a year and a day he comes for her and takes her away to the doll kingdom, where she is crowned queen and eventually marries him.

What's interesting is that Drosselmeyer's nephew (the Nutcracker) was disfigured and the princess rejected him.

Kind of like how Dwight is disfigured:

[​IMG]

And we know Sherry (his wife) left him. (Albeit the reasons are more grievous than "Oh, you're not pretty anymore")

I don't know if this is actually an allusion to this story or not, but it is interesting.

It's also possible the wooden soldier could just be a nod to pawns and disposable infantry.

As a side-note: this did gave me massive MacCready feels from Fallout 4. In the game, when you reach the top of the affinity chart for MacCready, he gives you a tiny wooden soldier figurine:

[​IMG]

2. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Daryl breaking out his paint kit and finishing up that toy soldier? :lol:

Yeah, I can't picture that. At all. So that is some continuity error.

DixonGrimes and Doctor Grimes like this.
  3. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It's a pretty massive continuity error given that wooden soldier is in rough as hell shape in 606. I never actually caught the significance the first time around until other people pointed it out because they looked so different. In 614, I was confused as to where Daryl had gotten it.

4. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    This is all too deep for me. Since Daryl is not in the comic, will he get the same " punishment" as Dwight? I don't know if I can stand to see Daryl's face like that. I know he's not a favorite, but two of them !ike that?...that wou!d be hard to take on a weekly basis, for me anyway. I admit, I love Daryl...I can't help it.

5. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think that the soldier represents maybe how in the comics....

Dwight gets tired of kneeling to Negan and he's mad about Negan burning his face for sleeping with Sherry (Dwights own gf/Negans wife) , so Dwight joins forces with Rick & TF to revolt against Negan. (side note: I think this is why Dwight doesn't want Daryl to die) They win. Negans in the cell Morgan made and Dwight is the new leader of the saviours. But with Dwight as leader theres peace between the communities. Dwight doesn't force the communities to give up half their stuff like Negan did. I think the toy soldier could represent Dwights rise to power as the new leader to the saviours. I think that's why the soldier starts off plain and not finished and then we see it again it's finished. Continuity error or could represent Dwights change from weak to strong :)

Doctor Grimes and Katbird like this.
  6. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I probably should read the comic, !ol...I knew there would be some sort of revolt against Negan. That sort of system is not sustainable...people resist oppression. The people in that group probably feel wooden but have no other option. Rick and the ASZ could be an option? And, of course, the Saviors, with a new non-PSYCHOPATH leader, could actually be viable long-term. If all the living are like Rick's group and follow his/their lead as to rebuilding society.

DixonGrimes likes this.
  7. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    OOOOoooooohhhhh!!!! You are soooooo right !!!! Gimple makes sure that everything means something

Occam's razor: Accept the simplest possible theoretical explanation for existing data

Here is what we know for a fact:
    1. Who carves wooden soldiers?: Dwight
    2. How many versions of wooden soldiers are shown? 2
    3. How did Daryl get the soldiers?: He took one from Dwight and he found one in the bag of his motorcycle.
    4. Was Daryl always in possession of his bike: NO Dwight stole it
    5. When did Daryl find the soldier in his bike bag?: After TF raid the satellite station when Primo tried to ride off with it.
    Here is what we can deduce:
    1. Are they they SAME soldiers?: Maybe not as they look completely different.
    2. Where was Primo?: He must have been hiding in the satelitte compound unseen by TF
    3. Was there anyone else hiding in the compound?: It could be deduced that Dwight was hiding there also since Daryl's bike was there and later he found a wooden soldier in the bike bag.
    Dwight saw the whole TF attack on the satellite compound. So it wasn't Gregory or Jesus who ratted on TF it was Dwight.

This would also make sense as to how Dwight was able to redeem himself so quickly. I was wonder why Negan would let him lead a team of men after betraying him and trying to escape.

#7 Barbarossa-TWD, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  8. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Damn that's a good thought. I hadn't even thought of that. Dwight could've been the one who told Negan what they were up to this whole time.

9. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    As an 80s girl, there's also that song Toy Soldiers which apparently is about drug addiction. Mainly how you can be controlled and have no mind of your own when addicted. Eminem also has a song Like Toy Soldiers where he compares rappers to toy soldiers being controlled and going to "battle" by and for record cos./execs.

10. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Great analysis as well; the drug angle is particularly interesting because being under Negan's influence is undoubtedly similar. They feel compelled to join his forces in assurance of security.

Katbird and Barbarossa-TWD like this.
  11. Tater

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    The drug addict that Toy Soldiers was written about survived the addiction. So there's that.

Katbird and Doctor Grimes like this.
  12. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I hadn't thought of it either until I read your post. My initial reaction was Dwight made a new soldier and left it in the bike bag. Then why that whole scene with Primo?

(I confess I am an obsessive fan of Sherlock and I see clues and "thangs" everywhere! :bloody:

Katbird and Doctor Grimes like this.
  13. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Hard to say, but it makes me wonder if Dwight was around. There's a reason those two events seem linked.

Katbird likes this.
  14. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    There is no confirmation but the bike was at the satellite compound and later the soldier was found in the bike bag allowing the reasonable assumption that Dwight was still in possession of the bike.

Also, it kind of explains why Dwight was not relegated to low man on the totem pole for not only trying to escape but also helping two women to escape. Yes, he got burned but there must have been a larger redemption at hand for Negan to put him in charge of a team. When they killed Denise, we see Dwight was in charge of that group. Why would Negan trust him so much particularly after such a huge betrayal?

Doctor Grimes likes this.
  15. Tater

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    One of the reasons I always thought it would always be Glenn was because I thought they were setting up Daryl to lead the Saviors once Negan is captured or put down. The fact that Daryl has the soldiers, I think, foreshadows this. Reluctant leader of toy soldiers.

Katbird, slade3 and zahira like this.
  16. Mullet of Denial

Mullet of Denial Drowning in an Ocean
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    [​IMG]

Ummmm this is brilliant. Bravo.

Katbird and Barbarossa-TWD like this.
  17. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    :hearts::rickgrin::holdheart:

Ah!!! shucks thanks.

Mullet of Denial likes this.
  18. zahira

zahira Ricktator
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Ok so if daryl will lead the saviors once negan is captured , he will not take the arc of carl
    [​IMG]

slade3 likes this.
  19. Tater

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    But he may take rick's role. Rick may be resigned to the role of neegan's bitch for most of the season while daryl rallies the troops which is just as awful.

zahira likes this.
  20. zahira

zahira Ricktator
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Oh nooooo D:D:D:
    [​IMG]

Tater likes this.