1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Simon: Better than Negan?

Discussion in '7x05: Go Getters' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    So is anyone else feeling Simon as a character? Honestly I think he's both scarier and more likable than Negan at the moment. Of course that may change, but I am kind of wishing Simon would take over. :lol:

Anyone else feel the same?

2. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Personally, I think that Simon and Ezekiel are being portrayed much more realistically than Negan, even though they are both over the top. There is just more depth.

3. Lennykae

Lennykae Scott Gimple is the Janet Evanovich of TV.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

[​IMG]

:lol::lol: I think my Simon feels are clear on the board. I liked his scenes with Greg on Sunday and I also find him to be more menacing even with the hammy bits. It's also probably bc I had no expectations of the character so his behavior is more enjoyable cuz it's not smacking me in the face.

4. Dobbying

Dobbying Babysitting Judith

Walker Pets:
    I think right now Simon has the advantage of brevity, he's just as hammy as Negan -and definitely went to the same school of intimidation with the close talking- but he hasn't had ridiculously long monologues and seems more like an actual person, not a comic book character, which comes across more threatening. He really won me over last episode, I didn't really get the love for Simon on here till then.

I'm trying not to fully form an opinion on Negan until 7x7 to be honest. In the comics, that was a big turnaround in how I saw him, especially the way he interacted with Carl.

Negan has been most interesting to me when he momentarily drops the act and gets serious, and I kinda suspect we're going to see more of that going forward. If they space his appearances out more, I could see Negan winning people back. A little bit goes a long way with him.

5. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Negan has never been scary to me, not once. Something just isn't clicking there, well a lot of things aren't clicking there but that's beside the point. Ogg just has this aura/presence/vibe about him where I'm simultaneously amused and uneasy. I called it "quiet scary" in another thread. This is what I wish Negan was instead of a long-winded limboing rooster.

6. Truthfully it's love

Truthfully it's love Life's candy and the sun's a ball of butter
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I really am liking Simon. His interactions with others are fun to watch. He has these precise moments that come off terrifying but its done in such a matter of fact style it works so well. He pulls this off more successfully then Negan.

#6 Truthfully it's love, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  7. Appetence

Appetence Eternally failing at productivity bc TITTD
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    YES.

So far Simon has been far more interesting and enjoyable to watch than Negan, hands down. It's funny you mention wanting Simon to take over @Doctor Grimes because the same thought crossed my mind the other day. What if Negan accidentally steps on a random landmine, then Simon could take over! *prays for landmines to randomly appear*.

8. Appetence

Appetence Eternally failing at productivity bc TITTD
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yes! I completely agree. "Precise" is a great word to describe him. Ogg delivers his lines with perfect timing. Everything from his facial movements and the length of his pauses are perfect. I think he's just a really talented and intuitive actor. He knows not only how to deliver a line and make an expression, but exactly when and where to place those little details.

9. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts Atlanta hunting down 712 Director's Cut
    Custom Banner
    #Team Simon all the way! He actually has the sense of humor with the right amount of sinisterness that you know he would have messed Gregory up. I would love to be on Simon's team his version of Negan is actually better than the real thing. :lol:

balladsinthebluegrass likes this.
  10. Rickscolt

Rickscolt Eating your protein bar
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Hell yes.
    Ogg is so charismatic and his portrayal of Simon is on point, he makes you hate him AND sort of love him.

Seriously, I was enjoying his scene with Gregory so much. Yeah, much more of Simon please.

11. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Ogg Savior will rise! :mwhaha:

I'd love it just for all the Simon Says jokes alone. You know he'd do it.

But the thing is... Who would be Simon's loyal henchman? Who would fetch him pens? :ogg:

Simon's probably so baller he doesn't need a henchman. He can pull double duty.

12. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover "I wanted it to be ours, me and you"
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Nestled in Ricks' murder coat and Michonnes' jeans
    Custom Banner
    Yes, and a 1000x YES!!! This is how I wanted Negan!! Simon has this OTT personality but it is tempered by realism and brevity with nuances. Oh, Simon is still a Savior and an ass, don't get me wrong, buuutttt, I got an actual kick out of his scenes with Gregory. Simon was menancing in a quiet way, yet funny at the same time. Negan is such a loud mouth, hammy and just too much for me, (like the GN) which makes his characterization very obviously comic book like. And he doesn't scare me. It's his creepy fascination with Rick that is tinged with many sexual overtones/undertones that makes me uncomfortable. But I don't fear him. And the hype for Negan being the ultimate big bad did not help at all.

Simon is more realistic, even with the ham, but has a ton of charisma. I feel the same same with Zeke. Another OTT character where the actor projects nuances and certain small details for their character which allows me to really get into the characters head and understand them. Simon is watchable for me. He is far less verbose than Negan and doesn't need to tell you everything he is thinking. Yo are not quite sure what Simon is up which makes him far more dangerous, IMO. He is Negans f*ckboy but there is something else there with Simon that leads me to believe folks would follow him given the chance. I was impressed with him during LDOE and his interaction with Rick intrigued me. And unlike Negan, no expectations, since Simon wasn't hyped to infinity and beyond. I can just enjoy the character as is.

As it stands, the direction of Negan has gone completely far left, and I don't know how they are going to get it back for me. I REALLY wanted to enjoy Negan, since I do love a fleshed out villian, but so far, he has fallen flat, which is too bad because JDM is a great actor, and JDM/AL have fabulous chemistry together. However, Negan just isn't doing it for me right now. We shall see how the Carl/Negan arc plays out but as of now, it's Simon all the way and Ogg is playing him very nicely.

#12 ALDGRichonneLover, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    coffeebean, SevenStars and lovingdead like this.
  13. Truthfully it's love

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This is such better story telling then dwights arc tbh.

14. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Simon is menacing but in a likable way...I don't know how to describe it. I could totally see the character on the show being scared of him and falling in line behind him but the viewers at home enjoying him completely.

At this point, I just wish they would shorten Negan's monologues. Maybe I like Simon cause he seems like a man of few words which can be really frightening. He speaks when it is necessary and every word matters. Every threat matters, too.

The moment I think Negan was at his scariest was during "Service" right after Rick and Negan hear the gun shot. He delivers this look towards Rick that was perfect. I really felt like he was barely restraining his rage or something. Super menacing. That was a perfect moment. Give me more of that.

15. Truthfully it's love

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This was a very haunting scene. I really need material like this drive Negan's character development and intentions.

ALDGRichonneLover likes this.
  16. QueenofPeace

QueenofPeace hearts still beating
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Hmmm....I don't know, I think for some it has to do with the fact that there was no anticipation or expectation for Simon, where as Negan is the "big bad" so people are scrutinizing him a lot more closely/thoroughly. IMO Negan and Simon are actually rather similar in many ways, and that was apparent in episode 7x5, seeing Simon act on Negan's behalf. I can't exactly say who I prefer or find more intimidating as a viewer just yet. I'd grade them both rather similarly.

I despise both characters for the same reasons, so I think JDM and Ogg are doing their jobs as villains.

I thought Negan was great in the finale, premiere, and 7x4. It was in the Cell that I thought the writers overdid his presence and dialogue, but I found that episode to be flawed overall. JDM's delivery and mannerisms have been pretty good otherwise IMO, and I have found that he has portrayed Negan in a slimy yet kind of intriguing way. For example, I love when he flips from being amused and showy to suddenly menacing and serious. He did it in the premiere with Rick in the RV, and again in Service when he found out about the guns. I thought it highlighted that while Negan may be humorous or agonizingly jokey there's definitely a darker undercurrent to him, and I dig the unpredictability of that.

If anything, I am most underwhelmed by Dwight personally. I'm not a comic reader, but I have read character bios and summaries, etc., and I know that
    we are supposed to root for Dwight, and that he's supposed to be this extremely conflicted character who is majorly shaded gray. So far I do not sympathize with him or his plight at all....even after seeing the Cell. And the portrayal by Austin and writing of the characters dialogue/behavior has not shown me at all that he's a bad guy with potential to see the light. But again perhaps I'm missing something, it's too soon to judge, or maybe they're going in a different direction with him. Who knows.

17. QueenTee

QueenTee Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I'm a little torn on this.
    I think both Ogg and JDM have their own individual styles, so it really boils down to preference.

I really didn't expect Simon to be such a great character! I really love what Ogg is doing with him. He really has a way of pulling you into all of his scenes to the point you can't look away from him even if he scares the hell out of you. lol
    But in the context of twd, I think he pulls off the henchmen role much better than he would as a Negan.
    I just find it much more believable that people would follow someone like JDM over Simon.

Dobbying likes this.
  18. zahira

zahira Ricktator
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Simon is wonderful !

19. accioval

accioval Watchtower Sniper
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Honestly, FUCK YES.

And I've thought this since 6x16, but it was reaffirmed in 7x05. There's something human about his level of darkness, and also it's that we haven't seen him actually do anything yet, so there's this level of imagination that we have where we haven't seen everything that he's capable of. Simon is everything that a good villain should be: mysterious, menacing, and charismatic. He talks quite a bit, but not enough to where it's too much, but his point is made. He lays out options, and doesn't reveal what might happen if you don't comply. And he's very, very intelligent. He's the one who came up with the idea to block the roads, and he's the one the Saviors actually listen to, and it's hinted that he *might* be staging a slight revolt on the inside to ascend to power and is also Negan's most trusted confodante. I feel like Simon's role is small, but crucial and I find him vastly more interesting than Negan, but I want to see how 7x07 plays out and how they will flesh out Negan before I make my final decision.

ALDGRichonneLover likes this.
  20. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah, I think Simon walks the line between friendly/murderous psychopath very well. You just never know when that switch in his head will go off. His whole conversation with Gregory, I was waiting for him to snap. It was like watching a horror film when they pull out that jump scare.

Although, I do like his short appearances because they leave me wanting for more.

coffeebean and C-Ben like this.