1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Soooooo Morgan is still bae.

Discussion in 'Morgan / Lennie James' started by MyNameIsKwame, Feb 3, 2016.

1. MyNameIsKwame

MyNameIsKwame Wearing a Necklace of Ears
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Morgan's nail in the coffin for a lot of casual viewers and Carol fans was the body slam that shook the world. I, however, see it much different.

Morgan, like Carol, is now a very controversial character. It's actually beautiful. In the comic he was LITERALLY NOTHING. Like, nothing at all. His role in the show has not only been elevated and beautifully acted but he's had such a profound affect on the storyline and the characters in it.

He's like a fit, louder combo of Tyreese, Dale, comic Tyreese, and comic Morgan. And Morgan will be a huge driving factor of upcoming storylines.

No matter what they do with Morgan's character from here until his death, he will always be greater than his counterpart and he will always have a special place in my controversial heart.

Is Morgan still bae for you?

2. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Morgan is still incredibly bae. I think he's one of the more fascinating characters on the show right now. In fact, I like how he's spicing it up by being passive.

3. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yep. My love hasn't wavered. I'm extremely interested to see where they're going to take him and I'm so glad he didn't go the way of his comic counterpart. I hope Lennie wants to stick around for a while.

Ship Verse likes this.
  4. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Throw in a better Zeke. He's comic Michonne's perfect man. Morgan and Carol, how they heal or kill each other, is something I look forward to watching.

5. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Morgan will get his redemption arc. You don't bring in Lennie James to squander him on ill conceived story lines. There are good things ahead for him and, I hope he learns to find that balance he needs regarding killing and surviving.

[​IMG]
    And I can't wait to find out what this image is all about!

Ship Verse likes this.
  6. Lyra_Nation

Lyra_Nation Young, scrappy, and hungry
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I definitely still like Morgan. It's realistic for different people to have different philosophies, and since his differing philosophy is so extreme, it creates an interesting dynamic for the rest of the group.

Ship Verse likes this.
  7. Leannan

Leannan Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    I saw how he used his hands on Carol as a way to protect what she was becoming.
    Ironic really,because in the past a man's hand only did her harm.

MyNameIsKwame likes this.
  8. Appetence

Appetence Eternally failing at productivity bc TITTD
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I have high hopes for Morgan going forward. His presence was a little lackluster in 6A, but I think I expected a lot of sizzle right off the bat. I'm actually not that mad at him for body slamming Carol (I know, I know, go ahead and throw shit at me), but she had to be subdued somehow. It was a little over the top, but shit, if someone is willing to kill you, you take the bitch out. :) I think this dynamic will be very interesting moving forward. He got his one pass roughing her up though. I think he will apologize for it.

I sort of see it similar to Michonne knocking Rick out. She didn't want to hurt him, but she had to stop him before he went too far. Similar situation with Carol.

Ship Verse and MyNameIsKwame like this.
  9. DanNintendoMan

DanNintendoMan The ship's cook

Walker Pets:
    I don't agree with Morgan's "All life is precious" philosophy, but I can definitely see where he's coming from.

I'm excited to see him again in 6B.

10. MyNameIsKwame

MyNameIsKwame Wearing a Necklace of Ears
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Interesting way of looking at it. Would be awesome if that's how she saw things after she awoke from her slumber. I'm not mad at the body slam either, btw. I mean, obviously it wouldn't be cut and dry like "I forgive you" but I can definitely see a complicated future with these characters.

11. Mousey

Mousey Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Morgan is more bae than ever for me thanks to his third return and iteration. I expected him to basically come back to die, but have been so glad they seem to be playing the long game with him because I'll take all the Lennie I can get.

His struggle is fascinating to me. He's shown to be a strong fighter and good warrior, one who has committed all acts of violence but has now come back to using violence to protect others. A lot of people take issue with his newfound "all life is precious" mantra because it's outdated, but that's kind of the point? He's "behind" everyone else in terms of his ability to work with others and keep his head on straight, because he spent so much time alone. He's not like Rick or any of the group, but he's also not like the Alexandrians who are still pretty wibbly-soft.

I mean, he definitely did mess up by body slamming Carol, but he's messed up no worse than any other member at any given point of the show as far as my money goes. And I have total faith that he's gonna try and make it right. Because it's Morgan.

12. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Maybe this should go into the unpopular confessions thread, but I was ok with his body slam of Carol. When you fight, it can get out of hand. He and Carol were having a physical disagreement. I think he held himself back for most of it and, ultimately, he felt he had to stop her.

PB Protein Bar likes this.
  13. Mousey

Mousey Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I can definitely understand. For a lot of people, when you erupt into an all-out fight like theirs, anything is fair game. And I don't totally disagree, lol. The main reason I see Morgan's body slam moment as a mistake isn't because of who he slammed, but because it was a moment where he reverted to the sheer bloodlust he was trying to conquer within himself. He wasn't able to keep his rage in check during that intense fight, so that was a moment where his philosophy failed him. And you could see it in his face when he dropped her (which ugh Lennie is an acting god for conveying in that brief of a moment).

Iguessiamhere and Tater like this.
  14. Consigliere

Consigliere Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I still love Morgan I think Lennie James is incredible. I can't wait to see what they do w/ him in the second half of 6b.

15. Iguessiamhere

Iguessiamhere Survivor of Many Disasters
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I'm frustrated. I still have mad love for Morgan and the twd is blessed to have LJ playing him. I'm I'm not liking the anti-Morgan on other platforms. You don't have to like his philosophy, but calls of being stupid, naive and needs to die is just feels overboard. There should be someone voice concerns about taking human lives. Should every threat be met with execution? I get Negan is a real threat. We the audience knows this, but to the characters he obstacles that must be met deadly force. I didn't mind Morgan questioning that thinking. Morgan knows what means to cross that line. I hope he find his balance in this New World and his philosophy will temper the bloodlust. I know they will kill and continue to kill, but is wrong to considering other option?

I feel that I NEED MORGAN DEFENSE SQUAD.

16. Lennykae

Lennykae Scott Gimple is the Janet Evanovich of TV.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

100% agree.

17. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    100% agree. I think the problem is that we the audience have been living in the Rick world of kill or be kill for so lomg that most of us can no longer accept that this doesn't have to ALWAYS be the way. So when characters like Morgan question what we have come to see as the norm, people see him as being stupid. People can't see or understand his point of view because all they been seeing for the past 6 seasons is Rick's point of view.

I think this is why a character like Morgan is needed on this show because Rick's view of things is simple but brutal to the soul. We need someone who will give us a different and more complex point of view. Morgan can be that person.

Iguessiamhere likes this.
  18. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm incredibly frustrated with Morgan, but while I was consumed by Carol's internal struggle, I glossed over his. Until I reflected on it. I say this time and time again that Morgan has the most fragile mental state than anyone else I see in our group and he is desperately trying to hold on to his sanity with his "All Life Is Precious" mantra. Its not so much about other lives, but his own. What it would mean for him if he was to kill again. It makes me incredibly sad for him. You're right though, Morgan is undoubtedly still Bae.

SevenStars and LunaFall like this.
  19. Iguessiamhere

Iguessiamhere Survivor of Many Disasters
    Patron

Walker Pets:

I agree with that he had fragile mental state, but I don't believe he holding on life is precious just to center himself. It never work if he did not believe it to be true. It not just about him being selfish in this philosophy. I not happy with the way the writers isolate his character or made a black man in climate of real life issue state all lives is precious, but it doesn't devalue the belief especially in twd where a long time it's been kill or be kill, questioning that is not wrong.

20. cgomes

cgomes Ricktator
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I still like Morgan, I really do. I understand his reasons and I know his new philosophy is the way he has found to keep going and keep his sanity, but while I think he truly believe that's the best way to solve any problem, I also wonder if that's him wanting to believe it so he doesn't get hurt or hurt people anymore, I don't know. I just hope there's something good coming for him, he deserves it.