1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article Star Steven Yeun Joins Bong Joon-Ho's Sci-Fi 'Okja'

Discussion in 'Glenn / Steven Yeun' started by Doctor Grimes, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Which means that they could have already filmed it even though they said they didn't

2. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Andy had to sign a multiyear contract which should be coming up for renewal after season 6 or 7. <<if they want to keep him and others then they must allow for scheduling flexibility where the actors are not 100% tied to TWD and have enough time to do other thangs...

3. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki " I'm gonna try "
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I have mixed emotions about this.
    1. I am happy for Steven. Just wondering about the size and scale of the role.
    2. While it COULD be indicative that Glenn is the Lucille victim, I don't think it's conclusive. It's not something that could hold up in court. It's all circumstantial.
    3. If it is Glenn, I have said before that I mourned Glenn during dumpstergate so to a degree I have accepted it but a small part of me has a glimmer of hope that it's not him. I think that Glenn's death is the one that will have the most impact on TF so I can't see the TPTB trying to cop out on this.
    4. If it is Glenn. I'm not really angry. Whatever innit.

Denie39 likes this.
  4. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Agreed. Glenn is one of my loves. But I have to be objective, out of all the people that would realistically be Lucilled, both he AND Daryl would have the most impact on TF, plain and simple. But like I said before, IF it is Glenn, dumpster-gate and the cliff hanger ruined the impact.

21melpomene and SevenStars like this.
  5. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I was working under the assumption that they're telling the truth, but that doesn't mean shit. But it will be pretty damning if all the actors of the Lucille line up are there except one.

6. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Everyone's opinions are subjective and speculation. Agreed that the cliffhanger was poor storytelling, but it is within the realm of possibility that S7 premiere could justify the cliffhanger. Or maybe it won't. Won't know until we see it.

And, sorry, yeah, whoever dies with the bat, their death IS supposed to send shockwaves through TF and is a game changer. It may not be Glenn, but whoever it is, their death is not something people are supposed get over quickly.

Jenna Alaki likes this.
  7. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    For me it's just the disrespect. Had Glenn been given shine, that would be one thing, but he wasn't. Glenn was hardly a presence in season 6 at all. Was screwed with that fake death.

It's just awful they decided to end it after this season. They should've done more prior to it.

yuna, vinivre, Denie39 and 3 others like this.
  8. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    All of this. I lIke Glenn and Steven but I wouldn't have so much problem with his death if it wasn't the way they treated his character in S6. The treatment of him, imo, take away some of the great impact his death should have on the audience and the characters. His lack of real presence this season makes it hard to really understand the part he play in the TF and connections he have with other characters outside of Maggie. We should have had more scenes with him and Rick, him and Daryl, him and Michonne, etc. That would have been prep work for when these people had to witness his death.

But his lack of presence makes it feel like he is just an after thought character, nothing special. The fandom already treat him as such and the writers treated him as such in S6. That will greatly affect the impact his death could have had.

9. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Of course it's possible and I'm sure if Glenn is the victim and 7x01 is "An Ode to Glenn" then that will be enough for some people, it just won't be enough for me. On the other hand I've said before if Daryl dies the cliffhanger makes sense to me, but Darcille is the only way I can personally justify the cliffhanger.

I'm not saying I have a problem with Glenn receiving posthumous attention and focus(though the show's track record with that isn't great), the issue I have is that that's ALL he'd be getting. Glenn deserved to have a lot of attention in S6 if he's dying but he got shoved under a dumpster instead, that's what doesn't sit right with me. I'm not okay with Glenn ONLY receiving the attention he deserves because he's dead/dying.

10. Jenna Alaki

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Some have mentioned severally in this and other threads that Glenn did not have enough focus in S6. I am in all honesty struggling to understand this.

Within the plot lines of S6, where else should Glenn have had focus or how else could Glenn have had focus that wouldn't have been OOC for him?

11. SevenStars

SevenStars Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Of the top of my head : He should have been part of the Rick/Daryl adventure in 6×10. He should have been one of the people defending ASZ against the Wolf instead of being stuck under a stupid dumpster when they already planned on killing him. He should have gotten scenes about how he feels having to kill a human being for the first and in their sleep. What's it's like to deal with the aftermath of this decision/action. He could have done scenes with Rick about his fears about being a new dad, especially in the world they lived in. His fears about possibly losing Maggie in childbirth like Lori, etc...

None of these things would have been ooc. I know most of the fandom sees him as nothing more then just the guy attached to Maggie and I partly blame the writers for this. But there is a whole of lot the writers could have done with him last season if they wanted to that wouldn't have been ooc. Of course to those who only see his worth as an attachment to Maggie might have seen any of these things as "ooc" because they are not use to seeing and thinking of Glenn as a character in his own right, who should have a narrative about his pov on things.

vinivre, Michele, Denie39 and 5 others like this.
  12. Jenna Alaki

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Ah! I see. I think I am understanding this argument better based on the examples you have given. And just to avoid ambiguity (whether or not this applies to you), I do not see Glenn as Maggie's attaché. But his character and hers are written as a love story. I cannot recall a time in my mind when they have ever been overly adventurous when it comes to Glenn's story, which to me is a shame. The same I feel about Michonne and some of the others.

I liked all of these except the Wolf one. I cannot see Glenn staying behind on a mission that important. He's like one of Rick's lieutenants IMO.

Yes they all could've been subtly worked in, esp. if Glenn had gone out w/ Rick in 610. To accommodate this though, they would have had to cut out some other stuff. To me, S6 was basically mostly action and one of the poorest in terms of the quality of character-character interactions, so it's no surprise that these key moments were not included.

#92 Jenna Alaki, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    Michele and Denie39 like this.