1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Spoilers Summary for 7.03 from TWD Zone

Discussion in '7x03: The Cell' started by anya7890, Nov 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. anya7890

anya7890 Searching for Sophia

Walker Pets:
    From TWDZ:

Episode 703 is more of a Dwight/Negan/Saviours episode than a Daryl episode.

Negan and the Saviours show who they are through their actions and way of life. They are in every way the opposite of The Kingdom and Alexandria Communities.

The Saviours have livestock and grow some of their food but demand tribute from the other communities to feed tham as seen in 'The Well'.

The Sanctuary doctor believes Negan has the right way to survive.

Negan, unlike King Ezekiel, is feared rather than liked or respected. He makes people kneel for him often in audiences or when he passes by.
    He acts like a true king or dictator more than Ezekiel.

The Saviours as a community are scared of him, the sanctuary is like a cult of personality such as Jonestown or the manson family.

Negan has a bunch of walkers around his compound that he puts there purposely for protection and to scare other groups, like in the comic books. He plays a lot of mind games to control his world as is shown in the episode.

He likes to put former Saviours in the fencing around the sanctuary. The walkers up front are former Saviours they knew or killed.
    Those who disagreed, tried to leave or objected to Negan's way of life usually end up as walkers on the fence.

All prisoners wear matching jumpsuit outfits and some of the walkers do too. He makes prisoners take prisoner-turned-walkers to the fence.

Negan makes sure those who think of escape understand the fate that awaits them if they try anything - as he said to Rick in the premiere.

Daryl is in bad shape but remains defiant. Negan wants to break him and wants to turn him into a Saviours himself, to be one of his right-hand-men so he uses lots of methods to break and reshape Daryl.

One of the guards, Joey, tricks Daryl into trying to escape by leaving the cell unlocked. He doesn't succeed because it was a trap all along.
    Negan was testing to see if he would escape and Daryl does try to leave.

Joey is very tight with Negan and his inner circle so this is another way to converty people to joining Saviours.
    Daryl is caught trying to escape and ends up being beaten again. He breaks or dislocates his shoulder by the end of the episode and his spirits go very low by then.

Dwight and his wife, Sherry, get a lot of time in this episode. Sherry and Daryl talk a bit when she tells Daryl about Dwight and what happened after they robbed Daryl in the woods. Her story may make some things forgivable, Sherry is mostly terrified the whole time she is in the episode.

There is no explicit violence against women in this episode but Sherry implies that Negan takes what he wants in a way that indicates rape or women having no choice.

Dwights story includes his returning to Negan and the saviours after they tried to escape. Nobody made Dwight go back to Negan and he wasn't captured. He made his own choice to rejoin them again and he stands by it.

Dwight has been trying to win favour with Negan ever since he joined them again after first meeting Daryl in the woods in season 6. He kills a guy who escapes the compiound even though they had been friends before and understands why he wants to escape and refuses to return. It is a hard choice for Dwight but he does it.

New Characters seen:
    Sherry
    Joey the guard
    The Doctor
    Dwights former friend who he kills.
    Assorted Saviours.

None of the main characters seen die other than the friend Dwight kills

2. LavenderNight

LavenderNight Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Interesting contrast from last week.

:dale:
    Yeah, he better stay away from my faves.

#2 LavenderNight, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    Gekari and balladsinthebluegrass like this.
  3. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    Well good Lord. This didn't really help the episode at all LOL.

Just in case it isn't clear... I really, really, really REALLY hate Negan.

cadence_T, Gekari, Katbird and 4 others like this.
  4. Butler36

Butler36 What?
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Seems like they are going all out and making Negan a sexual predator so that is an interesting change from the comic. And the fact you can't leave at all and he tracks you down? Yikes.

Dwight is also a mess because it seems he lets Sherry go back into that mess. Yikes.

So basically this is the problematic men episode. Fun

5. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    So they are making TV show Negan a no-holds-bar rapist. I guess this will just be one of his hypocrisies. He says he's against rape, but he is doing it anyway.

Gekari, Katbird, LunaFall and 6 others like this.
  6. Butler36

Butler36 What?

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Also makes his "You're mine, you belong to me" even more hella creepy. He thinks of people as his playthings and that includes the women in his community. Can't escape, can't run, and if you fight you become a walker on the front yard. He wants people to bow to him and treat him as a god and people outright fear him. Not a lot of chance for consent in that environment at all.

Negan is a rapist in more ways then one.

7. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    This makes me think they might veer from the comics and actually kill TV!Negan

cadence_T, Gekari, Katbird and 13 others like this.
  8. Armte

Armte I Drink and I Know Things

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts of Atlanta hunting down 712 footage
    Custom Banner
    I am glad there will be no gray areas when it comes to the character of Negan. It will make for fun times in the fandom with the Negan fans. All the mental gymnastics that will be deployed to defend this character.

cadence_T, Gekari, Katbird and 9 others like this.
  9. Butler36

Butler36 What?

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It's going to be a mess. A damn mess.

10. richonnelove

richonnelove Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Did he say in the show he is against rape? I know in the comics that's cannon, but in the show I don't recall him declaring his stance on rape.

I like that in the show they are not going to try and throw any ambiguity in there with this character. To see people in the fandom constantly praising this sociopathic dictator while trashing Rick in the same breath was getting tiring. The more heinous Negan is, the more foolish they will look defending him and lambasting Rick as a leader when what motivates Rick is his determination to protect and look out for his friends and family. Not oppress people for his own sake like Negan.

#10 richonnelove, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    cadence_T, Gekari, Katbird and 8 others like this.
  11. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    I'm looking forward to this episode despite being really excited to get back to TF. I'm glad they seem to be making Negan more villainous. The only thing that makes me worry is that he could potentially use sexual violence against one of the TF ladies.

12. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    :dale2: TPTB and JDM can take their "You'll love to hate him." and shove it up their asses.

cadence_T, Gekari, picabo282 and 13 others like this.
  13. Lolololove3

Lolololove3 Eating 112 oz. of Pudding

Walker Pets:
    Let us pray

14. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Nope, in the show he hasn't said one way or the other, but I am sure he'll say it at some point and we'll all roll our eyes at the hypocrisy of it all.

15. Lilly965

Lilly965 Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I'm sure some will somehow try and make it the women's choice/fault.

16. walkinggirl26

walkinggirl26 Rick's Right-Hand Woman
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    This is interesting because just from this, it doesn't seem like he's going to be humanized or made likable to the GA. Sounds like he's going to be pretty much hated except for the fanboys and girls that will love him regardless no matter what he does. Locking him up so far doesn't seem like an option. Folks are going to be screaming for his head by the end of 7. I'm already there:dienegan:

17. Lilly965

Lilly965 Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    The show better be careful regarding how they deal with potential rape. the media won't stand for it if it's dealt with sloppy.

But the negan love in makes be think they will still try and give him a pass.

18. Mousey

Mousey Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Not to be an apologist because I'm not making excuses for him nor will I if it turns out to be true, but since the summary last time really didn't capture the material at all accurately, I'm not buying the "Negan's a rapist" claim until I see the episode and it's made explicitly clear. It goes back to the big discussion we had and how it's played ambiguously in the comics as the fine line between "choices to survive" vs. "exploitation of human beings," so this may be how OP interpreted it because many others here do too.

Hopefully they explain why Negan wants to break Daryl and make him a Savior because otherwise it's hokey as hell.

Also, make room for Sherryl because you know it's coming. :harold:

19. Mrsthicke

Mrsthicke Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    Yea Negan can kick rocks if they gonna make him a rapist

20. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Yeah I'm suspicious about this whole sexual predator Negan