1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

The Anderson Family...In Retrospect

Discussion in 'Alexandria Safe Zone' started by tuswig, Apr 8, 2016.

1. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    So now that season 6 has concluded and the Anderson family is officially gone, I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on them. Has your feelings changed at all about any individual family member? Still feel the same? Although I was counting down the days until the BIG CHOP, I always thought that I would probably feel sympathy for Jessie in hindsight...but I actually don't. I still feel very strongly that if her children were really her first priority, especially after Pete was killed, they may still be alive. I do think that she was trying to convince herself that she was someone who she simply was not (or atleast not yet) and perhaps maybe even a small part of her hoped that Rick would noticed that she was a strong woman, because the attraction was very much so mutual; Jessie wanted Rick just as much as he wanted her (or the idea of her).

I found both Ron and Sam to be pretty annoying but it was around 6.08 when I began to really feel for them both, particularly Sam. They were both kids, who couldn't help who their parents were. Ron was an angry kid and his actions were 100% wrong, but I can understand his anger and resentment towards both Carl and Rick. The Alexandrians were naive but they were living a pretty idyllic life before Rick and his group came and after that everything went to shit. And yes, although Pete was a drunken asshole who abused his family, he was still a father and it was obvious that Ron had some level of affection for him because he followed Rick and Morgan to see where he was going to be buried. Sam suffered from severe emotional trauma and it didn't help matters that his own mother told him repeatedly to pretend to be brave.

So yeah, in retrospect, I think both Ron and Sam were victims of their terrible circumstances. I don't hate Jessie, but I can't bring myself to feel sorry for her either. What happened to her in her marriage to Pete was horrible, she was the victim in that relationship, but when it came to her "relationship" with Rick and the choices that she made as an outflow of that, she was just as much as a willing participant in her downfall. I think that if Jessie made better choices, her and her children would still be alive.

2. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The writing around her was so contrived, I never got a bearing on her personality. I didn't get the impression that her children weren't her first priority. She made questionable parenting choices but since the writing never focused on them or labeled them as such, I didn't think that. I think it's a similar case of Lori is an awful parent because she could never find Carl. The writing was always going to find reasons to separate Carl to give him a storyline and as such it would reflect negatively on Lori. Rick and Jessie not noticing Carl and Ron's growing conflict or Jessie overestimating Sam so he could lead them to their death, they could have done better to let the story run its course without having their parental ability come into question or at least awknowledge it as such (much like how Lori admitted she was a bad wife and mother).

I thought they were going to do more with Carol and Sam. Maybe Sam would have let her find a happy medium between how she raised Sophia and Lizzie and Mika, but, uh, that didn't happen.

I liked Ron the most. Found him very interesting and mostly because his storyline focused on Carl, so anything that brings attention to Carl was good. I found him complex but I wish more time was spent before his demise. Hell, I would have even liked it if he lived and got a redemption even though honest to god, I have no idea how that would have worked. He was like a mini Shane. His whole conflict with Carl and Enid looked like a teeny version of Rick/Lori/Shane.

Mischonne and Jenna Alaki like this.
  3. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I still hate Jessie...shallow, selfish, weak, no self reflection. Sam is still annoying to me. I understand he is young and scared and had shitty parents but damn, that kid rubbed me the wrong way. Ron, I actually liked him. I understood his anger and it was aimed (I think) at the right people. His mom, Rick and Carl. He should have added Enid to his rage, but whatever. And even though we didn't see it, I'm sure he was angry at his father, but when it comes down to it, I understand him defending his father over some strange, crazy guy that killed him. I thought he was also a good brother.

tuswig and Nicole like this.
  4. Valerie

Valerie Professional procrastinator....
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I don't care for Jesse at all, Sam was just a little kid, and Ron well. It was messed up when Jesse and Ron had that little discussion and saying Rick was her friend, Rick had just killed his father, yes Pete was no angel but to him he was his father and he loved him despite his imperfections. I think that as a parent she would be more understanding of his situation.... She just cared about her feelings in my opinion...

#4 Valerie, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    tuswig, Delightfully Thomi and Nicole like this.
  5. WalkerVoodoo

WalkerVoodoo Michonne's Shadow
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Sam is the only member in that family I can muster any sympathy for. Poor kid had absolutely no one looking out for him.

6. Clutterbuck

Clutterbuck Finding Bigfoot™
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I still feel bad for Sam and Ron, especially Sam. Sam breaks my heart, that poor kid didn't stand a chance. I will never feel anything for Jessie except extreme dislike. She will always remain a poorly written, badly acted plot device to me.

tuswig, luv, Jessica and 4 others like this.
  7. Tori

Tori The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    The only two I feel really bad for are Sam and Ron. I understood Ron's anger, and I think he had every right to feel that way. Jessie trying to get him to pretty much except Rick was her friend was just selfish to me. No matter how awful his father was he was still his father. Sam was clearly scared and all she can say to him is to pretend to be brave. I would just rolled my eyes at that one. All Jessie seemed to be focused on was showing Rick how brave she thought she was. Instead of doing that she should have made Sam got tot the church with Father Gabriel. Even if that meant she had to go with him.

tuswig likes this.
  8. zahira

zahira Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    my face when i remember the Anderson Family
    [​IMG]

9. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I think the actors did the best they could with the poor writing around this SL. This could have been an interesting little arc, still ending their demise, but interesting nonetheless. But as she was portrayed and written, Jessie was a poor parent. She ignored Ron's pain and failed to legitimize it. She didn't understand the depth of Sam's fear. I mean, I remember the scene when Rick and Michonne were gutting the walker body in preparation to leave the house and Sam walks in on it, mortified, totally unprepared. Did she forget her child was upstairs??? And yes, she was way too busy trying to prove herself a strong woman to Rick. I think it was horrible that she didn't demand Pete's body either be buried within the walls or have her and the kids go out there to bury him/be there when he's buried.

10. winter

winter Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    I think Jesse's sole purpose was to set up that iconic chop scene from the comics. Unfortunately she was badly written, and what bothered me the most about her being drawn towards Rick is the fact that in real life, it's very unlikely that an abused woman would go from one violent man to another- especially the part when they were flirting at a dinner party in front of her husband.

As for Sam and Ron, I think their characterisation was much more realistic. One thing that bothers me sometimes about how some fans react to the show is the need for everyone to be 'badass'. These are children who have been very sheltered from the outside world- they're behaviour is understandable. It would have been silly and unrealistic for Sam not to be shitting his pants during the herd.

11. Nicole

Nicole Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    I was just thinking last night about Ron. Objectively I can't be upset with anything he did. He's probably around 16 Ish and he's in the middle of the apocalypse. His dad has a drinking problem and is abusive but it's still his father. His father is killed, straight up murdered by the man his mom is saying is her friend who seems to want more then friendship. His girlfriend has probably always been distant towards him but seems to able to talk to this other guy who just so happens to be the son of the guy who killed his father. Add to that puberty and his desire to be seen as a man and taken seriously...He's the only Anderson I wish was still here.

Sam he was scared shitless and his mom allowed him to be. Instead of running after Rick she should've been trying to get her son to at least open up about how he was feeling. I laughed the first time I saw them getting ready to go outside because Jessies face when Sam came down was like who is this?And I wish when he refused to go with father Gabriel he was a little more clingy to his mom as opposed to stoic. The way it played out just looked like in he was about to break the 4th wall and go "mom I can't go with the good father. Remember were supposed to die next scene"

As far as Jessie goes...I'll never understand how a show can justify such a mess. Even if she wasn't the perfect mom I never doubted Lori loved Carl.Messie had no time to think about her kids because she was offering haircuts to a random man and then letting him kiss her in a room that included her abusive husband. Oh and her sculptures were dumb. I would've knocked them down too:salt:
    The biggest disservice to me as a fan after having to watch that cluster fuck was that I didn't feel satisfied after the chop. I wanted like a close up slo mo recap of that shit. Instead I got the beginning of thriller (when the zombies started waking up before they started dancing) and a weird I wanna be deep and arthouse let me go black and white and then add some sepia filter shit

12. Ship Verse

Ship Verse I.D.G.A.F.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I only feel for Sam. I felt more for Sam when he is blamed for their deaths. I didn't care for the kid until after JSS. I mean, how traumatic. Everything after that, I'm just like pat attention to the kid. And even though Carol out though haunting thoughts in her head, I can appreciate how she tried to retract her harshness. At least she was trying to get him to see, no matter how I'll advised. Also, it goes to show how much his mother paid attention to him that she didn't even know about the story. My Momma never let me have closed doors in the house when I was a kid, the fact that she let Sam dictate everything... what? Ugh...

As for Ron I felt bad when he died. When he witnessed his family eaten. That was a sad moment because I could see it in the actors face. Rick led them to die and he was ready to die to. I'm not convinced he would have went on. Him aiming that gun at Rick was like suicide itself.

So no opinion hasnt changed on Voldemort. I still think she was a horribly written character with no consistency. And yes, a bad mother. Her death was not even enjoyable for me because she died just as annoyingly as she lived. Glad that hell is over though.

13. No Patience

No Patience Watchtower Sniper

Walker Pets:
    I always felt the Jessie story line was poorly written. Just because it was in the comics doesn't mean it needs to be in the TV universe. The Jessie story line could've have been given to Carol without the pitiful romance part. Carol could've helped Jessie as a fellow survivor instead of moping around in angst and pain for all of 6B.

14. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    To me they were just there. I did feel bad about Sam because the thing he was afraid of is what killed him. He just didn't have any faith in his mother and I don't think she had any real faith in herself. She was putting on a brave face but she was just as unprepared as her children which is why I was irritated that she didn't go with her sons to the church. Just because you're with people who you know can survive doesn't insure that you will, I think she had too much blind faith. For me, I needed to see more of how they worked as a family and how they banded together after losing Pete. After he died they just dispersed and started doing their own thing so there wasn't anything that would make me care that an entire family just died one after the other. It was just 'Sam is making noise he's going to die.. yep' 'Jessie is screaming she's going to die.. yep' 'Ron is about to shoot Rick no way Michonne lets that happen.. nope she killed him' 'And he got a shot off which hit Carl.. now we're getting to the important stuff'.

15. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Sigh...the Andersons....or as I like to call them...the misguided bright idea that never was.

I've spent too many minutes writing about the TV trope that is Jessie Anderson. Trite, no depth, poorly acted Jessie. Her interactions with Rick didn't serve his character and there was no payoff, no aha moment that made it all make sense.

I did feel for Sam and am disappointed he didn't interact with Carol more. This poor kid grew up in an abusive household and then continued to grow up in a world where the dead ate the living. As a mother of a 12 year old boy, I appreciated the impact the end of the world would have on a kid. But my sympathies can only go so far for a character that, in the end, served little purpose.

I thought Ron was interesting and well acted but his quick turn to homicidal murderer didn't ring true and his death scene was over the top. I liked the actor though.

God, I'm glad we've moved beyond this storyline. It makes me twitch just thinking about it.

Denie39 and Jenna Alaki like this.
  16. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki Saying "Yes"
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I agree that Jessie was a badly written plot device. How is it that you would want to be around, let alone kiss, the man that killed your husband and the father of your children, esp. with the incident being so fresh? She went from telling Rick in a flashback that 'it can't be you' to talk to my son like that because he won't hear you (which in itself says a lot about their suitability as an item at this stage), to allowing said man to kiss her in her garage. I couldn't understand how she could be insensitive to the fact that her eldest son did not like this man and that he was grieving, so perhaps she should keep some distance for now. Not to mention the burial of her husband's remains: Jessie wasn't even featured in any of those discussions. Her actions overall just didn't make sense. I did take her as a victim of the system/state. Deanna and ASZians literally closed their eyes to the fact that she and her children were being abused just because they needed a doctor. WHAT!?!?!?

I do wonder though if in fact Jessie was a legitimate, plausible portrayal of how someone could be in her circumstances and I would be interested to hear the opinion of someone who thinks she was. I am clearly viewing her through my lens and I haven't been in any shoes similar to Jessie: I'm not a mother of 2 boys (although I have helped raise one), wife, abused, widow of a murdered man, living in America, living in a ZA in a sheltered, naive community, on the receiving end of some attractive male attention from a strong leader. Perhaps Rick's attention brought some hope to Jessie, more than she's ever had in the two years since the ZA started? Perhaps the sum of her experiences clouded her judgment? IDK, I'm still not quite getting it.

The scene that realistically captured what I'd expect of Jessie was in JSS when she goes downstairs to protect Ron and takes out that female wolf in a fit of rage. This was not about her being a badass but about her being a mother. She stayed in an abusive marriage probably, mostly for the sake of her children which was drawn out by the state of affairs of their world. TF's arrival really shook things up fast for the ASZians (which Tobin attested) and allowed Jessie to wake up, step out of her bubble of a mess of a life, and embrace the reality of what life looks like 'Now'. I don't think that she was at all trying to impress Rick or prove to him that she was strong. I think he brought that out of her.

#16 Jenna Alaki, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    tuswig and Stranger Danger like this.
  17. forevermichonne

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    To me they're dust in the wind. I feel mildly the same about them as I did before. I feel for Sam and the tineiest bit for Ron, but none really for Jessie. Looking back, I'm a little angry for as much time was paid to them, how little of a lasting impact they had on the show. I feel Rick will never be able to talk about Jessie and how he tried to cope through her, Carol will not be able to talk about Sam and Carl is never going to be able to go and talk about Ron. Maybe it's a " show not tell" thing, and I guess most of that showing was in the time jump.

#17 forevermichonne, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    vinivre, Lyra_Nation and Denie39 like this.
  18. Warriorgirl

Warriorgirl Walker Bait

Walker Pets:

I agree. Jessie was selfish in my opinion. She thought more about what she wanted than how her children were being affected by that whole situation with Rick and her husband. Even though SG tried to justify why she was necessary to the show or Rick, I feel like her main purpose was just the chop. I honestly think Rick didn't need Jessie to open up emotionally or to move on from the past. I think she was just a lousy character all the way around and SG coughed up some ridiculous excuse for that hot mess he created on our screens.

Nicole likes this.
  19. LunaFall

LunaFall Founder of The Bunker Bar
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Jessie just came across as silly and inconsistent - even questionable.
    I felt for her kids, but it never really felt like she was there for them other than when the plot called for it (when she hugged Sam after his father was executed and when she killed The Wolf-in-Training - and even then, it was more about protecting Sam (why would you tell Ron to stay outside when there are people in your community attacking and killing your fellow residents?). In NWO, she gave up when Sam died, leaving Ron alone and, full of anger and grief.... Sam wasn't the only child that needed her.

#19 LunaFall, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Nicole, Jenna Alaki and tuswig like this.
  20. Appetence

Appetence Eternally failing at productivity bc TITTD
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    As petty as this will sound, I think a great actor can pull off even the sketchiest of story lines/poorly written scripts. AB just isn't a very convincing actress. We could have felt more for her, but she just didn't have the talent to pull it off.

Andy, Danai, Lenny and Melissa... they can pull just about anything off. Carol's SL has been weird lately, but at least MMB is compelling to watch.

AB just didn't have that spark that made her interesting as Jessie. Even if I weren't a Richonne lover, I wouldn't have been invested in her. I don't really get how some people think she is so great. I guess that's what being generically pretty affords you in this world....