1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

The Anderson Family...In Retrospect

Discussion in 'Alexandria Safe Zone' started by tuswig, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I wondered if Rick's instant dislike of Pete was due to his cop instincts of sniffing out a loser. Like maybe he intuited that Pete was up to no good.

susannahmiyyah and ReeciePiecey like this.
  2. Tori

Tori The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    Some of it was that Pete gave off this loser vibe. When Rick first met him he let Rick know he knew about Jessie cutting his hair and he said "Welcome to Alexandria" in this creepy way. Most of it simply had to do with Rick lusting after his wife.

#42 Tori, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    tuswig likes this.
  3. LunaFall

LunaFall Founder of The Bunker Bar
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The storyline was so forced and almost no one was buying into it.
    There were a number of ways they could have approached this without dragging Rick down and making him come off as a deranged creep.

4. Denie39

Walker Pets:
    Yeah, Pete looked like he was drunk half the time but he was the only town doctor? This conversation just hits home how absurdly this SL was executed.

Bazooka Jane and ReeciePiecey like this.
  5. Jenna Alaki

Jenna Alaki " I'm gonna try "
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I partly think it was.
    I hope I am understanding you correctly so let me know if I am not. Do you mean the 'it' being the welcome to Alexandria vibe or the pursuit of Jessie?
    At the point of the hair cut, Rick wasn't really 'after' Jessie so Pete was just being a creep when he first met Rick.

6. Jenna Alaki

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I haven't listened to specific interviews or read articles about 5B but from what I know of Kirkman, (and maybe Gimple) he seems to relish at times the idea of making Rick look bad at times. It's to abolish the notion of the perfect protagonist, like, these are what our heroes look like now.

7. Tori

Tori The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    What I mean is that part of Rick's dislike for Pete was that he was just a creep. I'm sure Rick got that vibe when he first met him. The dislike became more intense when Rick started lusting after his wife. We saw that at that after the party with the hand on the gun.

tuswig, ReeciePiecey and Jenna Alaki like this.
  8. Denie39

Walker Pets:
    Sometimes I wonder if Kirkman even understands character development. I mean, our hero doesn't have to be perfect, but he has to act within the personality already established, or it will feel fake. I wasn't buying his voodoo about Rick being like Negan, that if we all had been following Negan's story, we'd be on board with what Negan was now doing to Rick's group. And I'm like...NO. Rick would never enslave people and if he would, Kirkman has not established this in his personality.

ReeciePiecey and susannahmiyyah like this.
  9. Jenna Alaki

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeahhhh. I couldn't get that. It actually rubbed me up the wrong way because 'are you trying to think for me'?

Denie39 and susannahmiyyah like this.
  10. richonneromance

richonneromance Survivor of Many Disasters

Walker Pets:
    My problem is none of them felt like they had a life before the apocalypse. They were all two-dimensional plot devices who were exactly set out to match Rick, Carl and Carol's storylines to give them some sort of dramatic conflict upon entering ASZ. The only one that had an iota of personality outside their plot device-ness was Sam, his trauma was realistic and his demise was tragically inevitable. But of course having Carol be nowhere near him when he died kinda ruined the whole effect of her traumatising him further and him being drawn to her (and also Carol trying to at least get Jessie out of her abusive situation).

The whole thing was a mess, Sam was the only one written in a slightly compelling way.

tuswig, Jenna Alaki and Denie39 like this.
  11. LaToya78

LaToya78 Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Exactly. I thought the exact thing like no i wouldn't why would anybody root for someone like that. I also get annoyed when people compared Rick to the governer.The governer was a sociapath and Shane who had a massive ego. I know their are some people who liked Shane i couldn't stand him

FLNatural and Jenna Alaki like this.
  12. Cherish

Cherish Slopping Pigs

Walker Pets:
    Glad to see this finally gone. All members were annoying. No way would they have survived like TF.

FLNatural likes this.
  13. zahira

zahira Ricktator

Walker Pets:
  14. zahira

zahira Ricktator

Walker Pets:
  15. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Here is how they could have done the Jessie arc better and made Rick less of a douchebag. They should have shown clear signs of abuse. The one thing that had bothered me about the whole ordeal is that we never saw evidence of said abuse, it was more hearsay from Carol as she processed Sam's claims of needing a gun and destroying that damn owl sculpture. Had we seen Pete raising his hand to Jessie or seen bruises on either Jessie or Sam, I would have bought the idea that she was abused. Then, they should have juxtaposed her to Carol, who as survivor of domestic abuse rose to become a warrior in the ZA. They could have shown that unlike Carol, who learned to survive in this new world, Jessie couldn't transform herself because the safe zone did not provide her with the proper tools. She was basically living a regular life within the walls, oblivious to the threats outside, not needing to fend for herself against any sort of threats, whether it is the dead or the living. This would have been done masterfully and provided her with a great sendoff

Denie39, FLNatural and tuswig like this.
  16. Jenna Alaki

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I'm OK with Rick looking like a douchebag. And I love Rick. And I'm OK that not everyone likes Jessie. Not everyone should be liked on the show, otherwise, to me, it would feel really strange/unrealistic/artificial. It's just that the nature of TWDverse and it's existence in an apocalypse means that if a character is not a fan favourite or disliked, fans can call for their death :laugh:. I think less people call for Rick's death because they know it would be the end of the show.

Not every victim of domestic abuse has overt bruises or witnesses outside of the home to that abuse, esp. if its confined to emotional abuse. Rick didn't pick it up. But of course, Carol did pick it up given her time w/ Sam and her personal history. And this was confirmed by Deanna when Rick brought it to her. And Jessie confirmed it, without expressly saying it IIRC. I think as an audience we had enough evidence to go on of the authenticity of the abuse - from Sam, Carol, Jessie and Deanna. I suppose a bruise would have made it more obvious but I don't think it was entirely necessary.

I just think the Rick-Jessie story as a whole could have been done better and in a way that didn't detract from her abuse story; not for people to now like Jessie and Rick but for it to feel like a more authentic attraction.

17. Jessica

Jessica Slopping Pigs
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Me too. Poor little broken Sam.

18. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    This would always boggle my mind. How did Rick figured he was going to possibly navigate a relationship with Jessie when Ron clearly saw him as a murderer?

tuswig and Sasha's Living Room like this.
  19. MrsG

MrsG Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Ugh!! Shane was the worst!

20. ALDGRichonneLover

ALDGRichonneLover Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I HATED the Anderson arc! Lawdy, just.. no.. However, I did feel for Sam towards the end and Ron. They were uber sheltered children, raised by a loser mother and abusive father. There was no way they would have survived, not with said mother in her garage making stupid owl sculptures and not preparing her children for the real ZA world. Hence why I only liked the Carol/Sam interactions (even the one with her scaring the living hell out of him in the pantry when he caught her with the guns . MMB did an awesome job showcasing Carols crazy here). At least she felt bad about that, and he Sam felt drawn to her as result. And Carol did in her own way, cared about Sam. Jessie, on the other hand, his own mother, not so much. Not to mention, I STILL don't buy the abuse story line at all with her. Not one time, did Jessie seem afraid of Pete. I worked in womens abuse shelters, and let me tell you, there is definitely fear of their abuser, whether it was physical or psychological abuse. Jessie having Rick kiss her at a party where her husband was right there at said party, and she didn't even flinch, nor look fearful of possbile repercussions? Instead, she just looked like she enjoyed it and wanted more? And Jessie, well she was too busy trying to pretend that she was strong for Rick then paying attention to her children who were falling apart. (At least Lori did love and want to protect Carl in her own way and SWC did sell that point very well), but AB/Jessie? Not even close! Yeah, AB did not sell anything regarding Jessie. I did not buy her as a caring mother, an abused wife, as a possible bad ass, NADA. She was woefully miscast, and it showed. She was just there for me, she had no chemistry with AL and it showed on screen. At least the actors playing Sam and Ron were believable to me.

As far as my boy Rick,I wasn't all that upset with the Jessie attraction. I like my characters flawed and Rick was being a total douche (and I LOVE my boy) because he was in PTSD "I am going to take everything including a married woman" mindset and he was having MAJOR Lori feels. When he mentioned to Daryl about how the homes in Alexandria where the types of homes that he and Lori looked at, how during the Owl Princess' haircut, he shed a tear when she mentioned her two boys, and she asked if there was anyone else (meaning if he was married), that was an indicator that Rick was feeling the Lori vibes and had not completely dealt with her death. He was allllll over the place when he came to Alexandria. Add to the fact, they dressed TOP like Lori (flannel shirts, mom jeans), had her be a hair-cutter/stylist (remember when Lori cut Carls hair?) and was the proverbial generically pretty abused woman in peril nonsense that the writers wanted to shove down out throats. Rick is a man of the law so for him, Pete abusing a family, when he is trying so desperately to save his own family on the daily, made him over the top with his response to Pete. Plus he was in serious alpha male mode and he just wanted to show Pete and Jessie who the real top dog was.

The entire arc was just not well done and the Andersons were a plot point to get to the big chop like in the GN. How anyone saw longevity with Jessie and her brood, I will never know. Rick killed their father, and Jessie didn't even blink over that! Her son Ron hated Rick and Carl, wanted them both dead, but lets' try and sell this as an epic romance? Jigga what?! It made absolutely no sense, and too much time was given to this lame arc that made want to scratch my eyes out! I am just glad that they are all gone and never mentioned minus the shoutout to Sam by Carol. I love that T-Dogg, Lori, Shane, Herschel, Andrea, Bob, Tyreese, Beth, Noah have gotten shout-outs, but Jessie who? Gives me joy! Lol!

Jessica, box5angel and Allie like this.