1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

The Archer: Daryl Dixon Appreciation Post

Discussion in 'Daryl / Norman Reedus' started by Butler36, Jan 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Butler36

Butler36 What?
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Come here to celebrate the archer!

[​IMG]

DixonGrimes and Doctor Grimes like this.
  2. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It looks like Norman's hair-dye for 6B is a bit lighter judging from the photoshoot he did with Andy -- so that's good.

3. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I miss that guy from season 1. Where'd he go?

vinivre and Doctor Grimes like this.
  4. Armte

Armte I Drink and I Know Things

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts of Atlanta hunting down 712 footage
    Custom Banner
  5. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    He got on board a Hype Train and we never saw him again. :(

HustleBunnee likes this.
  6. Butler36

Butler36 What?

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think the interesting thing about Daryl is the fact that this is a man who, for the most part, did not have a easy time in the regular world to say it lightly. But in the apocalypse, all the things he was judged for or hated for, makes him a much needed member of this new society. That has to be a hell of an adaptation from being despised and fear to being love by so many people.

7. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  8. DCBABY

DCBABY Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Just leaving this here...

[​IMG]

Katbird and DixonGrimes like this.
  9. Nightmare

Nightmare FAIRY PRINCESS♚
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I fucking love Daryl. But I only realized how much, when I saw the hate for him. I'm like, whaaaat, Daryl is such a freaking sweetheart and I would very likely die a little inside if he was killed. It's just, from season one, he's molded into a character I just adore. Yes, his character arcs haven't been the best lately but that's the writing. Rick also had a bad arc with the Jessick mess, it happens.

Daryl is a character who grew up living in an abusive household. He'd been left behind by his druggie brother and fended for himself after it. He is very loyal to those he considers family, even to those who one might feel wouldn't necessarily deserve that loyalty, yet he was. He's self sacrificing and caring, out there single handedly to search for a missing girl not even his own, but for the sake of a woman who'd lost her only child, never giving up hope.

This man has got so much heart, yet the world beat him down, he lost someone he cared about more than once (Merle, Beth) and yes he did get down on himself, but dammit he's allowed to at least once! He isn't the only one in the group who got to that point. Michonne had, Rick had, Carol, Morgan, etc. But Daryl is an emo for it? I don't think so. You could tell despite his loner demeanor that he's really a sweetie. He's also sarcastic and funny. I guess I'm more of a fangirl than I thought because I feel so hurt seeing him hated on.

I just think he's a good character, and one of the few who was able to be competent before the others (reminding them they had to kill the brain in season 1), loyal, useful with scavenging, hunting and archery, he's just a great guy.

10. DanNintendoMan

DanNintendoMan The ship's cook

Walker Pets:
    I loved how Daryl was portrayed in The New World. It reminded me of his personality in the earlier seasons. I'm not sure how he's never heard the term "pop." I understand that it's called soda/coke/etc in other parts of the country, but it's a little questionable how he's never heard the term. And that's what I love.

He's best portrayed as a dumbass with a heart of gold.

DixonGrimes likes this.
  11. Flower1petals

Flower1petals Den Mother

Walker Pets:
    Hahaha Reedus ordered a hotdog truck to come to the set for lunch during taping of 14. Said they all might as well eat "weenies".

12. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    image.jpeg I love this thread!!! I didn't know so many people hated Daryl until recently. It kinda makes me a lil sad... I absolutely love him. He's a member of Grimes 2.0 due to Rick calling him his brother. Maybe I feel bad for Daryl for his rough home life with his mom dying from catching her bed on fire and his abusive dad. Also I just absolutely love Norman Reedus due to how much he loves his fans. I've heard how he will stop and take photos no matter how busy he is. He keeps gifts from his fans in his work trailer. Not a lot of celebrities do that... I know they should be seperated but to me they both have huge hearts. Daryl is the most loyal person. Yeah his story has slowed in 6A because in real life Norman was filming "Triple 9," that's not an excuse for fans to want Daryl dead. I do agree that he should be given a love interest or more manly storylines instead of emo adolescent moodiness....But I pray we see him in S7 which I think we will.

Sabachild, Katbird and Nightmare like this.
  13. Nightmare

Patron

Walker Pets:
    I was the same way. I didn't know how much hate there was for him, I just feel like he didn't do anything to deserve it. Daryl has been a great friend and loyal member of Team Family. Yeah, he had his moments where he was upset and depressed, but so have many characters, and I didn't think they should die for it either. I also consider Daryl an honorary member of Grimes 2.0 simply because Rick called him his brother. He is the new Shane, without the craziness. Daryl is the Uncle in the family. I want more moments between Daryl with Carl and Judith. He's the one who coined Judy's nickname "lil asskicker" when she didn't have an actual name yet.

I'd love to see him call her that again. Daryl is one of the more important people to Rick aside from Michonne and his kids. I love that he wasn't surprised when Richonne got together, and how he and Rick got on in The Next World episode. And I don't think Daryl doesn't bathe or would smell at all, I just think he's very outdoorsy and gets down in the dirt a lot for what he does. I know in the beginning, he didn't shower when they first got to Alexandria, but my thought process is that Daryl was just not trying to get too comfortable because any moment, they might be out on the road again. But my headcanon is that Daryl does in fact, take bubble baths after a long days hunting or being outdoors.

xD

14. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I don't know why he is disliked. He is unflenchingly down for Team Fam. More could be done with his story...the writers would have to delve into his past to explain him more. Maybe they don't want to start down that path. He and Rick are completely there for each other. Daryl is willing to sacrifice himself for his group b/c like most survivors of abuse or the adult child of an alcoholic, he doesn't think he's as good as the others anyway. Daryl is not at ease with normalcy. He feels like chaos IS normal. And, yes, intimacy scares him all to hell. His past would contribute to him being closed off...how could it not? And, if he is gay (I don't think he is; he's a very dysfunctional man-boy and he knows it.), can you imagine how his life as a child must have been? So, there we are with this closed off man-boy now involved with people who NEED HIM?; love HIM? Daryl knows pain up close and personal and I bet he had to "zombify" himself to it for most of his life. But, I'm sure he doesn't want that "dead" feeling again.

Sabachild, DixonGrimes and Nightmare like this.
  15. Nightmare

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Exactly. When we 1st saw Daryl, he was always closed off and away from people. He preferred to be alone and only thought he had his brother in the world. But season 3, we see his whole perspective on that has changed.

He was willing to walk away from Merle, because he has found a purpose with his new family. Rick saying he needs him, Carol being his close friend and them caring for one another, even to newer characters with Aaron taking a special acknowledgment of Daryl and his comfort zone, making him a motorbike, etc.

Daryl is a great part of TF. I think he could use more story myself, but that's not reason to hate him.

Sabachild, DixonGrimes and Katbird like this.
  16. DixonGrimes

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
  17. Nightmare

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Daryl out there trying to fix his mistake. :( Fucking Dwight, I cannot stand him.

18. DixonGrimes

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

I completely agree with you. Daryl gets so much negative attention it makes me sad. Everyone saying he should've stayed home but if he did the saviors were coming anyway, they knew about Alexandria already.

Katbird and Nightmare like this.
  19. Nightmare

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Exactly. And how would Daryl feel if he stayed and let them come to his home? He feels it's his responsibility to take these people out, since he was the one who took the chance and saved somebody he didn't even know, and they turned around and messed him over.

Now everyone who dies at Dwight's hand, Daryl will feel its on his shoulders. It's not just about "man pain," Daryl feels responsible for the death of Denise because he spared the man's life before, and it negatively impacted him and those he cared about. He'd been out there as long as Rick and the rest of TF.

Yes, he knew the risk, but Daryl couldn't sit by and watch Dwight and the other two get hurt. He is a good person with a good heart and unfortunately, he picked the wrong people to reach out to. I hate to see him getting bashed on because of that, and called all sorts of names for it. Daryl is a good person and he's just trying to do what he thinks is right. He's just trying to fix what he feels he started.

I dunno, sometimes I feel some aren't looking at it from Daryl's perspective. I can understand exactly why he's doing what he is, and I do not think what he's doing is worthy of berating at all. If anything, It's Dwight I cannot stand, because after Daryl saved his life as well as the other womans, he had the nerve to do what he did.

Sabachild, Katbird and DixonGrimes like this.
  20. DixonGrimes

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I abdolutely love Daryl...he leaded the search everyday for Sophia in S2 even when he was the only one looking for her even when Carol had given up in they scene in the barn. She wasn't even his kid or family but he did it. At one point he chose TF over Meryl. He will do anything for TF including not drinking water in S5 so that they could....the Daryl hate makes me sad.

Sabachild, Katbird and Nightmare like this.