1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Poll THE BANISHMENT: Who did you side with?

Discussion in 'Season 4' started by Doctor Grimes, Mar 21, 2016.

?

Who did you side with?

1. Rick: He was right to excommunicate her because she never promised she wouldn't kill again

45 vote(s)
    59.2%
  2. Carol: She was right because she was just trying her hardest to stop the infection

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Neither of them: Rick shouldn't have banished her, but Carol shouldn't have killed either

17 vote(s)
    22.4%
  4. Both of them: They both had their reasons for what they did, and both were right in their own ways

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Chaos

Chaos Richonne 2KForever
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Now that this thread has been revived and apparently I never posted in it, here is my chance.

I sided with Rick in this situation.

But before I explain as to why, I would just like to state that this is yet another thing that I will never forgive Gimple for creating. This literally started so much shit in the fandom that I wanted to scream my head off. Not only that, but Gimple decides to revive this issue by making Rick backtrack and say he agrees with Carol.... I swear, if I could have slapped Rick through the goddamn TV, I would've. I mean hell, we went through all that shit just for precious Carol to be the one who was right. I swear, Gimple just can't get his head out of Carols ass. I was so fucking pissed when that episode aired and still am to this day. I will literally NEVER forgive Gimple for this...

But anyway, I agreed with Rick because, in my eyes, killing is way worse than a banishment. And people acted like Rick was so damn harsh with the banishment. He gave her food, water, other supplies, and a fucking car. It ain't like he left her in the middle of the woods with nothing. If you ask me that was more like paid leave than a banishment. And people always wanna say that Rick was so cruel for doing that but did they forget that Carol murdered two of their own??? I mean really. When you look at it for what it was, what Carol did was way worse than Rick banishing her. Carol walked away with her life. Karen and David didn't.

And Rick had every reason to banish her. Karen and David were a part of the group. Would Carol have killed Carl and Judith? Or any other members of TF? Who knows really? Because in all honesty, this whole ordeal felt contrived as fuck. Carol came off as uncaring and sly and Rick came off as too harsh (even though he was right, imo). I feel like the writers just wanted some tension between the two so they threw this in.

And idk who said it but I definitely think it would have been more interesting if, instead of K and D, they used characters the audience were more connected to. It probably would have made more of an impact and would have made the audience actually see the extent of Carols actions. With K and D being the victims, it kinda felt like the audience didn't really feel anything for them...

But what's done is done. AND I ABSOLUTELY DETEST IT!

2. Tori

Tori The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    I get what the writers were trying to show but I just felt that the writing was too heavy handed in that scene. I just don't believe that Rick would do what she did. Even now I don't really buy it. I just found it ridiculous.

It will be even more ridiculous if he does spare Negan's life like he does in the comics. He will look wishy washy. Saying he would have done what she did and killed two people who were not a danger, but spares the life of a man who has proven to be a danger by killing one of them.

#42 Tori, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  3. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    I agree. It was kind of over-the-top. Plus, Carol's logic didn't even make sense considering they were fighting a plague. Whoever was going to be infected by them probably already was and the illness was already still spreading. Carol just made a knee jerk reaction. I know Rick is more trigger happy now but in his right mind I don't see him making a call like that.

SevenStars likes this.
  4. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    I also forgot to add, even if Carol's logic was correct, she acted as a renegade. Se didn't consult the council, she didn't consult Rick. She just felt entitled to act autonomously. This is my problem with Carol now, her entitlement issues.

5. Tori

Tori The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    That's what makes what Rick said so ridiculous. He would go along with what she did knowing it didn't even stop the virus from spreading. That make no sense.

#45 Tori, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  6. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I said neither. They both were stupid and wrong. But the show needed Carol not at the prison when the Governor attacked. So that is the only reason it happened. All of TF have done way worse that what happened with TF. And I agree with Rick in East when he said he understood and would have probably done the same thing now.

7. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I have forgiven Rick for banishing her but I haven't forgiven him for saying no one would want her at the prison. That to me was about as cold as anything he has ever said or done. They both are so much a like that they are very good tv.

8. AbsoluteTrash

AbsoluteTrash Caressing Eugene's Mullet
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    In my opinion, I don't think this is a tough call at all. Rick was absolutely right. Karen and David were their friends. They were already quarantined. It is not okay to just kill people who are not trying to be a physical threat to others because you perceive that a threat could occur. This is tantamount to police shooting unarmed people in the streets. And if you are going to use deadly force like that against a possible threat, it has to be decided upon by the whole group i.e. society. Cause at that point, Carol was operating in a gray moral area. Everyone should know who they are dealing with for their own safety. Rick didn't want to bring it up because he didn't want the others know what Carol did right away. To an extent, I feel like Rick was protecting Carol. Protecting her from the disapproving looks of the people in the prison judging her for being so callous as well as saving her from the ire of the people that loved Karen and David. I don't think anyone would really be on Carol's side if she killed a TF member that we cared about like Sasha or Glenn (who also got sick). If Rick didn't banish her, the only thing I would have been okay with is if they had a trial/tribunal and even then, with Tyreese acting the way he did, Carol could have been killed for taking the lives of two people (eye for an eye justice). Banishment was the best way to dole out justice but spare Carol's life.

What I don't understand is people that think what Carol did was okay but have an issue with Rick killing the Saviors in their sleep. These two scenarios are very similar. The Saviors were a threat that was going to spring up and take someone's life anyway just like this illness was a problem. The only way I am okay with Rick and co. killing the Savior's in their sleep is because it was a GROUP decision so they all collectively knew and were okay with going into the gray moral area. Carol went rogue.

As for Rick saying he would now side with Carol, I could see that happening. He was perfectly fine with killing Saviors in their sleep after all. But at least he had a whole group of people okaying his decision. Who knows, maybe if Carol did what Rick did, and actually called a meeting to discuss it, people would have been okay with her killing Karen and David (I doubt it though).

9. lovingdead

Walker Pets:
    Exactly. That's why I bring up Carol's entitlement and that's what drives me nuts about her most right now. She felt it was perfectly ok to make that decision alone. If this incident had not already happened, up until very recently I think she would have done the same. The same Carol that told Rick to kill pete is the Carol that would have made this same decision. Presently she is going through her redemption arc, so she wouldn't still make this call.

10. FLNatural

FLNatural Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    I live my life by this simple truth: Rick is always right.
    Damn the rest.

11. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    The more I think about it, the more I feel the banishment was more for Tyreese benefit than Carol or TF. For comic readers, we saw how Tyreese reacted when his daughter's girlfriend shot her in a suicide pact. That is when he went dark side. He killed and then mutilated the boy's corpse. I have a feeling TV Tyreese would have taken a similar path had discovered sooner that Carol was behind the murders