1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

The Deterioration of the Family Dynamic

Discussion in '6x14: Twice as Far' started by tuswig, Mar 21, 2016.

1. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    Am I the only one who is extremely bothered that Carol left a letter to only Tobin? It's just odd that she would leave a letter to her new "boyfriend", someone who she is still getting to know, but not to anyone in the family...Rick...Daryl...ANYONE. I just think that this is another example of how the writers really botched the "family" dynamic on this show, because these people don't act like it....

2. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I don't think she wanted to tell TF because she would fear her resolve would waver. She probably wanted to get out as quickly as possible and undetected. The last time she tried to leave, Daryl caught her, and she was swept away yet again. She left the note to Tobin because she wanted it to be safely found by someone not because she has any strong feelings for him. In fact, it was probably easier for her to leave it with Tobin than with TF. She found comfort in him, but she didn't love him.

What irks me is that only Morgan noticed something was wrong. Come on, Denise noticed Rosita was feeling lonely, but no one felt Carol breaking away (even when she explicitly told Daryl so)?

#2 Gooey Goobert, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  3. Latrice

Latrice Watchtower Sniper
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I got the feeling that she has been pulling away for awhile. That ever since they found each other again it hasn't been the same. It felt like she was never really ready to come back when she found them but then things happened and she stayed. And i agree, it was easier to leave it with Tobin and I think she knew it would find its way to TF but by then she would have had a head start.

4. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Like @GooeyGoobert I think she wanted to leave as covertly as possible, and leaving the note with Tobin was the best way to ensure no one would see her leave. Also, addressing it directly to a member of the group might've been too painful for her. Maybe she tried writing out a good-bye letter to Daryl, Rick, Maggie, etc. but just couldn't do it. Tobin -- while she seems close to him -- is a more distant emotional connection in some ways than the people she's been with on the road.

I am also burned that no one sensed her drifting away, but Carol is good at a poker face. It's possible no one assumed anything was wrong because she was just carrying on like usual. Either way, I am sure we'll see the group concerned about her leaving in 6.15.

5. Danaisbestie

Danaisbestie Rick's ride or die
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I also think she left it to Tobin because she knew he didn't have the ability to go after her which would give her a good headstart.

6. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yes to all of the above. Carol was determined to leave and the temptation would be too great if she opened her heart to family even on paper. And I hate that everyone is in their own head and not seeing the clear and present signs of severe depression/guilt/trauma that she is dealing with. I chalk it up to convenient writing for plot purposes. At the end of the day though, Carol has finally done what she's been wanting to do since Terminus which was only 2 or 3 months ago show time.

I do think that this is the beginning of the family fracturing and going their separate ways for the next season. We have to get our drama from somewhere as we enter the seventh season of this show. Zombies aren't going to cut it. Having the family fracture then reconcile will drive the plot along with the war with Negan.

7. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer

Walker Pets:
    Great feedback from everyone! I can definitely see how addressing the letter to Tobin was probably mentally and emotionally easier for Carol, but it still sucks that she didn't feel like she could confide in someone. If not the family, then Denise would've been a good choice (also, I'm salty that Denise's background and training as a psychiatrist was never utilized on the show. Can you imagine getting webisodes of Denise 1:1 counseling sessions with the residents of Alexandria???) I do think Carol tried to open up to Daryl but lets be honest...it's Daryl, her issues cannot be resolved with an awkward hug and few grumblings of encouragement, Carol needs serious help and I don't think even Daryl could guage how far she's fallen. Overall its disapppointing that no one in the supposed "family",noticed anything "off" about her; very much like when Sasha arrived to the welcome party alone, had an outburst, quickly left and NO ONE was seen running after her to provide comfort.

8. NegansSavior

NegansSavior Searching for Sophia

Walker Pets:
    I've felt really bad for Carol in this season. I wish people would have kind of been more intuitive. When she hugged Daryl and said she wasn't okay I think could've been a bigger indicator that something was up. Still, I get its the ZA and people aren't as able to worry about that stuff as much or as closely...
    I hope Carol bounces back. She's such a great character and one of my favorites. I'm glad she's not in the lineup.