1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

The "I Love You" Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'The Richonne Zone' started by Appetence, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Appetence

Appetence Eternally failing at productivity bc TITTD
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner

“You will know you are in love when it doesn't matter if you sit in heaven or hell with that special someone, just as long as they can make you laugh while you put out the fires.”

Shannon L. Alder

There are few phrases more powerful and transformative to a relationship than
    "I Love You"

This has been a topic of discussion among the passionate Richonners on this site since we went canon. I know I am not alone in wondering when these words will be passed between our favorite sexy warrior badasses.

This thread is about exploring the topic of Rick and Michonne exchanging these important words. :holdheart:

Will they tell each other how they feel at the same time or will one hold out?

Will Rick say it first, or will it be Michonne who spills her heart out to Rick?

Will it happen in a moment of passion, peril or something else?

Will they say it some time in 7A or will they put it off until 7B?

Are we going to hear them say it at all?

Speculate away, friends. Feel free to use filming spoilers or other indicators as evidence to support your theories if you wish, just please use a spoiler tag when indicated.

Have fun!!! :richonne:

2. Appetence

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I personally feel like it will happen relatively early in 7A.

If not in the immediate aftermath of what happens in the premiere, then episode 4 or 5.

based on what I've read in the spoiler threads and where the story appears to be heading based on the GN, Rick's relationship takes on great importance in this part of the arc. How do you solidify the importance of a relationship on screen? You have your involved characters tell each other how important they are you one another. Spell it out for the audience plain and simple.

I imagine it going down one of two ways:

1. In the Lucille aftermath, once they are in their home and "safe" for a moment, they share an emotional moment and hug, during which time Rick just blurts it out. Michonne would of course reciprocate.

my only hesitation with this scenario is that I don't really feel confident that we will get much Richonne focus because the
    victims
    and solidifying Negan as the biggest asshole in the whole ZA is going to be the emphasis of this episode. Richonney feels, likely not so much.

It appears that Rick is hesitant to fight Negan in 7A, as he doesn't want to risk losing anyone else.
    I could see him and Michonne having a little disagreement about how Negan should be handled and Rick explaining that he can't fight because he can't risk the ones he loves. I could see it coming out similar to how Carl more or less told Michonne he loved her in the canon episode (6.10). Saying it without really saying it sort of thing. They would then lock eyes at the realization of what he is really saying before he says the actual words "I love you" to her.

she of course reciprocates :)

#2 Appetence, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  3. LaToya78

LaToya78 Nestled in Rick's Beard
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    1. I think they'll say it at the same time

2. Rick will say it first

3. A moment of passion

4. They'll say it in 7A

5. Yes

4. thesamurai

thesamurai The World Is Ours
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    My headcanon is that it happens at the end of the the season 7 premiere, when Rick and Michonne are back home in bed. Rick says it first because he's the one that wears his heart on his sleeve the most out of the two imo.

tbh I'll be surprised if they don't share ILYs in 701. Michonne was
    literally next in line to get the bat.
    It would be the perfect opportunity for them to share ILYs at the end of the episode.

5. DixonGrimes

DixonGrimes Good to see u again baby" Norman R said to ME 10/2
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I love this idea for a thread. Here's how I think it will go. This is completely just my own imagination as I do not know any spoilers and have spent months avoiding them like the plague as I want to be surprised and it lessens my chance of disappointment/ salt .....If everyone is left in the woods I imagine Rick holding Michonne and just telling her that he was afraid he lost her. Rick might tell her to not ever leave again without telling him because he is in love with her. Michonne in turn tells him how she was in fear of never seeing him again in the van and that she loves him too. In a realistic world they would say it immediately after such traumatizing event in a world where tomorrow is not promised.....but this is AMC we are talking about but I have some hopes that its not past 7.2 at least.
    [​IMG]

ETA: I realized I didn't answer one of the questions lol, Rick will say it first because we all know he is thirsty as hell lol, I don't think either one of them will hold back after the line up. If they don't say it in the woods which they may not amidst the chaos, I think they will say is during making love. The way that Gimple hinted during the interview about the way they mourn each other has me thinking the I love you's could come during sex.

#5 DixonGrimes, Sep 26, 2016
    hewontgo and Appetence like this.
  6. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I am not sure! I want to think it will happen in a moment of clarity. Just Rick being awestruck and saying, "I love you," with glittering heart eyes. :hearts:

However, I think it will happen for the first time in an accidental slip kind of way. Like Rick being emphatic that he refuses to lose the people he loves (meaning Carl, Judith, and Michonne) or something in that vein. So not so much an outward declaration, but kind of just a statement of fact. I think Rick has already kind of claimed Michonne as his lady and just assumes it's kind of a known deal lol He won't even be flustered about saying it either.

7. slade3

slade3 The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I agree, @Appetence. I have a feeling we get an "I love you" in 7A or early 7B.

I think it will be closer to your second option since I think there will be a lot of disagreements, a lot of fear about the future and a lot of anger directed at Rick and possibly Michonne for being his girlfriend. And we've already established that Rick's priorities are Carl, Judith and Michonne. He loves TF, and it will hurt him to know some of them blame him, but it will be super important for Michonne to know he loves her and can't lose her.

If there's a moment like the one in the comic when
    Andrea is angry about Rick going along with Negan and packs to leave the house
    , I think Rick will tell her he loves her at that moment.

And no matter how it plays out, I think Rick will say it first because, as @thesamurai points out, Rick wears his heart on his sleeve.

8. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    they will say to each other in Rick's hallucination in the SP

they will then probably say it for real to each other in ep4

9. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    They will say their ILY's the same way they fell in love and the same way they went canon.

Organically, as two grown-ups would and without a lot of drama around it.

I don't see it as a grand gesture or even a huge moment in the show. It could be that WE hear it for the first time but it could be the 20th time they've said it to each other. They reunite and hug and say 'Don't ever scare me like that again. I love you too much to lose you like that.' Something where we're all teary eyed covering our mouths but to them, it's just how they roll with each other.

I'm here for either a grand gesture or a simple glimpse into the private part of their relationship. As long as we're seeing Richonne in love, it's allllll goooodddd....

10. The Last Big Kat

The Last Big Kat Vengeance For The Plunderers
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I feel like from an in-character perspective, they might not have said ILY yet just because they both kind of already know, so maybe like with so many other things, they just say it without verbalizing it and so haven't realized that they haven't actually said it. From a writing perspective, it's kind of a big thing to say, so I think it's being saved for a particular purpose.

I said in another thread that I thought it would make sense for Rick to tell Michonne he loves her in the aftermath of the LV, especially since he believed he should've told Lori he loved her before she died. Michonne having narrowly escaped death would be a huge motivator for Rick to make sure he says those three little words and his feelings are abundantly clear.

However, from a plot/writing perspective, they might want to keep that "reveal" for later down the line.

If it's any episode other than 7.1 or 7.4, I'd bank on it being 7.12, since that's supposed to be the episode which really establishes what they mean to eachother and "raises the stakes" like Clear did in regards to the Governor deal.

I can imagine Rick just blurting it out while staring at Michonne in awe, or maybe after she talks about Andre. Part of why Michonne might've kept Andre from Rick is some irrational fear that he might think less of her or not trust her as a mother if he knew, and I think he'll reveal that he's known or suspected for awhile, and tell her he loves her not just because he needs her to know, but to comfort her and ease her insecurity.

I'm 99% sure Rick is going to be the one to say it first, especially with the potential emphasis the season could put on his feelings in particular.

Maybe they'll exchange ILYs in 7.16 to parallel 4.16 - pull some Han/Leia "I love you/I know" stuff. ;)

11. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts Atlanta hunting down 712 Director's Cut
    Custom Banner
    I honestly have no clue. I have racked my brain trying to think back to other TWD moments where a couple said I love you. And I can't remember one time. Has it ever been shown on screen? I recall Shane telling Lori that they loved each other and Lori telling him he was wrong :lol: Oh Lori!

I dont even remember Gleggie I love you's, part of me doesn't think we are going to get I love you. The walking dead doesn't do sappy sentimentality, shit is mostly implied :dale:

Danaisbestie and MamaGrimes like this.
  12. The Last Big Kat

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I think Maggie told Glenn "I love you" in Nebraska, but it might've been the episode before. That set off his whole conflict in the episode after where he didn't want to die, and was a point of contention between them for the rest of the season.

Glenn first told Maggie he loved her in 2.16, as they were escaping the farm. He did it in part to comfort her, since she'd just lost her home and for all she knew the rest of her family, and he was showing that he was gonna put all his issues aside and be by her side no matter what going forward.

They've casually told eachother they love eachother in moment since then. ("I love you. Be safe.")

Denise/Tara's ILYs were part of Tara's emotional arc in Not Tomorrow Yet.

balladsinthebluegrass likes this.
  13. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    A part of me feels it'll be in 7.12 as well since it's shaping up to be a bottle episode. It would also cement what they have to potentially lose right before the finale takes place. I know 7.12 is late, but like you said, the two of them may just not realize they haven't said it already. We don't know yet what happens in 7.12, but I feel like it'll be one of those "quieter", calmer episodes, and if those two are going to exchange "I love you"s, I'd rather it be in that type of moment.

Although, I could also see a pretty good reasoning for it to take place during the aftermath of Lucille.

14. Armte

Armte Schadenfreude is my Aesthetic

Walker Pets:
    Outskirts Atlanta hunting down 712 Director's Cut
    Custom Banner
    So its apparent I am the one who has issues with "sappy sentimentality" because I blocked all of that out :lol:

Thanks for clarifying big cat. So now I think Rick and Michonne will say I love you at some point this year but it won't be what we wanted. Once the I love you happens, all hell will break lose and we won't even be able to bask in it. :negan:

#14 Armte, Sep 26, 2016
  15. slade3

slade3 The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Wasn't there a scene in Nebraska when Glenn tells Rick that Maggie said she loves him and Glenn is all angsty about it. A long while back, some of us were hoping there would be a scene when Rick told Glenn he loves Michonne, or Michonne loves him, so they'd have a similar bonding experience again.

And I don't remember fully, but I thought Denise was upset because Tara said "I love you" but Denise didn't say it back. Isn't that the when she talks to Father Gabriel and Jesus? That was when some speculated Denise would die.

By the way, @Armte, I really love the gif @Jimmy made for you of Rick drinking the whiskey. It's just perfect.

Danaisbestie, Jimmy and Armte like this.
  16. The Last Big Kat

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah! That's what it was. Maggie told Glenn she loved him offscreen and then Glenn told Rick about it. I was hoping Rick and Glenn would have a similar conversation in regards to Michonne too.

And also yes @ Tara and Denise's ILY (or Tara's ILY, anyway). I remembered those bits but couldn't put it all into words.

slade3 likes this.
  17. accioval

accioval Watchtower Sniper
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    I sort of expect to to happen in the heat of the moment and then there's an actual discussion about it later on in the season. But I've always wanted a really light moment between them, maybe pre-ILY or pre-clarification where they are talking about something mundane and normal, and then Rick looks at Michonne talking, and it hits him that he's never felt like this about anyone before, not just because of the bad stuff but as a callback to how they came together in a moment of lightness. And then he kind of reaches over and strokes her face really softly, tells her that she's beautiful, etc. Later on, he finally admits that he loves her, and she reciprocates that.

I'd sort of like that whole realization to happen in 7x12, that big moment where he's overwhelmed by what she makes him feel. So that we know how this is different and what he'd do if
    as the spoilers indicate, something happens or she gets hurt later in the season/or he thinks she might have died.

I'm a sap though, so I just want then to say it. :lol:

18. Richonne4Lyfe

Richonne4Lyfe Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    How I expect it to happen in 7x12:

Rick: "Hey...incase anything-incase anythang ever happens...just know that I love you."
    Michonne: *Gives a small smile*
    "I know."
    Rick: "How?"
    Michonne: "Cuz I love you too."

After that they'll have a lingering hug but we won't know it cuz we'll be dead :lol:

19. idcabtthisish

idcabtthisish The New Mrs. Grimes
    Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    It is FREAKY how much us Richonner's are alike. Like TERRIFYING. Wrote this head canon one-shot today, I kid yall not, about two hours ago while on lunch break. I'll add it to "Must've Been Somethin' Else, Then" soon, but here's how I wrote it:

"After a few seconds his body relaxed to her touch, but stayed as tense as it was before.

“I don’t know what to say,” was all Rick said, and his voice was raw, whether from tears or screams, or both, Michonne didn’t know. “How can you even stand to look at me?”

Michonne shrugged softly. “I love you,” and that seemed like a simple enough answer."

This is after the LV victim of course, when they're back at home. Not sure why I had Michonne say it first. It just came out that way in writing.

20. Appetence

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    We all have Richonne love on the brain!

idcabtthisish likes this.