1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

The pregnancy test... (Is Negan infertile?)

Discussion in '7x03: The Cell' started by Doctor Grimes, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    So in the episode we see Sherry getting checked out by Dr. Carson and Sherry is having an examination and has taken a pregnancy test. It's negative, and Dwight quips, "Better luck next time."

What was all this about? Just a sarcastic jab? Or is Negan trying to have kids? What is going on?

2. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    So glad you made a thread about this. It was hella weird. I have a theory about where Negan + baby could lead but it's really kinda crazy so I'm gonna observe ideas in this thread and see if I'm nuts or not later, haha!

3. Butler36

Butler36 What?
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    That was my question. And Negan teased Dwight about having her back but then noped the thought out there like he didn't share her at all. Negan might be trying to create an heir.

4. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I thought it was Dwight showing "loyalty" to Negan in front of an audience by wishing her luck. Had he kept quiet it might appear that it's hitting him hard. I don't think Negan is intentionally trying for a baby.

5. lovingdead

lovingdead The New Mrs. Grimes

Walker Pets:
    But why say, "Better luck next time." That's an odd and pointed statement. It made it seem like she should want to get pregnant. It was very odd and not a throwaway line.

6. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I thought it was him trying really hard to appear ok with this scenario. But, I'm not gonna lie. It's a VERY weird line. Maybe something will come out of it? :dalewtf:

7. Tisha Grimes

Tisha Grimes Stay Strong
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The Dr acted like it was no bid deal almost like he gives out test all the time.

balladsinthebluegrass likes this.
  8. QueenTee

QueenTee Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    I think Dwight was being a smart ass.
    He's obviously hurt about Negan taking his wife and even though he knows the real reason why Sherry is going along with being Negan's wife, he probably still feels a little betrayed and bitter.
    And as far as Negan goes, I think he wants kids...Making sure his genes carry on into the new world.

9. Lyra_Nation

Lyra_Nation Young, scrappy, and hungry
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I agree with @Gooey Goobert. Dwight was just trying to act blase about the whole situation.

It's interesting that Negan has all of these wives and no kids. I don't know if he wants kids, but even if he isn't actively trying for one, I feel like he's the type to not really care if he impregnates a woman or not. With none of his wives being pregnant...I wonder if Negan's infertile? :omg: :negan:

10. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Well the doctor sounded like a true Negan devotee. The thing is, like Pete, doctors are like rare unicorns and get favourable treatment even from the most despicable characters, even Deanna gave a blind eye to Pete's abuse and the Wolf put aside his "issues" to help save Denise (even though it was so that she could save him)

"Maybe next time" it seems that Negan is having Sherry tested every month to see if she is pregnant. It only goes to the ego of someone like Negan to want to have an heir to his Kingdom.

It may also tie into his combative relationship with Rick. Negan seemed to relish taunting Rick regarding his son... we will see Negan's reaction to Judith.

11. slade3

slade3 The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I thought it was odd that Negan isn't wearing condoms, but initially felt the scene was there to show Negan "takes care of" his women and makes sure they have regular gynecological exams (like prostitutes in Amsterdam's Red Light District). And I figured condoms aren't an item the Saviors can easily get their hands on, especially not the amount Negan needs if he's having sex everyday, or more than once everyday (those poor women!).

That said, I wasn't sure what Dwight's comment was, so now that I know it was "Better luck next time", I definitely feel it could mean Negan has chosen a wife to impregnate. That would make his fascination with Carl and jealousy/envy of Rick and Carl make a lot of sense.

12. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It gives me the feeling Negan definitely wants an heir, but maybe he's infertile. But I don't know. It's too early to say yet. But this could make Negan's interest in Rick's kids worse.

13. Niolle

Niolle Wearing a Necklace of Ears

Walker Pets:
    Christine Evangelista (Sherry) said on a Talking Dead it's not a first time Sherry takes a pregnancy test, it's her routine now.
    Maybe Negan really wants babies :cautious:

coffeebean and Doctor Grimes like this.
  14. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I could definitely see a narcissist like Negan wanting to continue his genetic footprint. If he's infertile, it will infuriate him and fuel his anger at the world. This increases the potential for an interesting dynamic between him and Carl, the child and heir apparent to his enemy. Negan will be impressed with Carl's moxie and, in turn, may be even more resentful of Rick, the man who seems to have it all.

After reading through this thread, I would say this is the one 'good' thing to come out of last night's travesty of an episode.

15. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Negan being infertile also makes his insecurity all the more apparent. It explains him carrying around a phallic weapon to kill other men with, his asking Dwight about his penis, etc. Negan basically feels like less of a man because he can't produce offspring -- and it burns him up inside. And, in typical insecure bully fashion, he subjugates and emasculates other men to inflate his own self-worth and ego.

16. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Agreed...if I may be crass, Negan's actions and dialogue make him come across as a man with a very small dick and he's overcompensating. Infertility would also make sense, however, as it would be very emasculating for a man who considers himself a god.

Ebonymiss, slade3, coffeebean and 2 others like this.
  17. Riko813

Riko813 Nestled in Rick's Beard

Walker Pets:
    Yes Negan is trying to have kids. All tyrants want to have as many kids as possible. It would be his legacy. He would be remembered for generations. He wants his DNA to be passed from generation to generation. I think that may be why he has the harem. He can say he fathered tons of children from all nationalities.

Doc, what makes you think it's Negan who has a problem? Maybe it's sherry who can't conceive? Hmm it would be interesting to see what happens to the women who can't produce him an heir.

Butler36 likes this.
  18. Butler36

Butler36 What?

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Not Doc, but I think because the fact that there aren't little Negans running around and he's probably established Sanctuary probably around the same time Rick established the Prison says the problem would be on his end. Also the fact that he
    later latches onto Carl as who he wished his child would be like
    tells me that despite being with an array of different women that he's working with no bullets.

19. Barbarossa-TWD

Barbarossa-TWD Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    Also that 'Chelle was so desperate to find her boyfriend, who she didn't even like, that she got a finger cut off. Did she need him to protect her baby? Does Negan only want HIS children being born at the sanctuary?