1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

The Reeking of Daryl (Filming & Comic Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Speculation' started by MamaGrimes, Jul 19, 2016.

1. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Filming spoilers and speculation from TSDF have indicated that Negan brings Daryl back to The Sanctuary to torture and possibly brainwash him.

[​IMG]

I'm bringing over @Butler36's post from filming spoilers to start our discussion:

I will say there are probably a couple of reasons why they are going to have Daryl turn (and muddy his motivations)

1. He directly causes the death of one of his closest friends because of his lack of control and putting his need of vengeance ahead of keeping his loved ones safe. The entirety of East was of Daryl storming off in a rage and the others trying to get him to come home because it was going to end up bad. Glenn's last words to him are literally that. So for him to put up a fight and have one of his good friends head's be taken for it? I think that mentally fucks him up and lets whatever Negan does to him take hold. Think Theon or Peeta in other situations. His guilt gives Negan room to work.

2. It is an explanation of how Negan keeps people loyal to him under duress. Dwight hates and loathes Negan just as much as Daryl does but he does his bidding and I think the show wants to show the process of how that happened which is why we are going to see Sherry as well and her being forced to be his wife. Negan has a bunch of unwilling people do what he wants because he is good at what he does and Stockholm syndrome is real. The show is going to show the audience him breaking Daryl like a stallion because Negan loves breaking spirited people. It is his joy.

3. It gets Carol back into the game and strains his relationship with Rick. I think they will make Daryl's motivations unclear. Did he really drink the kool aid? Is he faking it? I don't think Rick will know at that point what it is. And I think the visit to ASZ with Daryl under Negan's thumb will make it unclear to the audience to because I think Daryl will be obedient and it will freak Rick out. And while Carol is in self pity mode, her learning that Daryl is possibly brainwashed and working with Negan will bring her back.

4) The show wants to take Daryl into a new direction. They already started last year with his impulsiveness getting people in trouble and him being so arrogant about Negan. The full reversal of that is him being beaten down to the point that he believes in the boogie man.

Feel free to bring in comic panels, filming spec or spoilers to support this discussion. How do we think Negan kidnapping Daryl will play out? Will Daryl be 'Reekified' and temporarily domesticated only to once again be a hero when needed? Will this lead to Daryl taking over GN Dwight's role? What does this mean for Caryl?

Please keep this thread low sodium. Minor grumblings about Daryl getting a storyline is okay but I don't want this thread to derail into yet another 'they're ruining my show with this shit' rant, okay? Please and thank you!

Katbird, Tisha Grimes, tuswig and 2 others like this.
  2. Lilly965

Lilly965 Wig Shopping For Michonne
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I knew this would be the direction they would go in. Seeing that GOT did it so well, I just hope the acting is on point for this or it could end up looking like a poor mans version. But if this can transform the Dixon character into something a bit more layered and interesting I will be pleased.

Belle and tuswig like this.
  3. Denie39

Denie39 Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Thanks for starting this!

I said in the other thread that I think Daryl and Dwight are probably going to share Comic Dwight's storyline. I suspect they will form an alliance from within the Saviors and at some point, do their part to take down Negan. I'm not convinced he will be brainwashed or truly turn against TF. Whatever it is, it will be an act.

Katbird and tuswig like this.
  4. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    If they pull this, I may actually be interested in Daryl, but that is a big IF

Mousey and MamaGrimes like this.
  5. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    So, he will essentially play Rick's game of possum? Hope not:dearagony:

6. Appetence

Appetence Eternally failing at productivity bc TITTD
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The Reeking......

Double meanings. :lol:

Belle, Mousey, Flower1petals and 3 others like this.
  7. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    If someone was going to be responsible for Glenn's death, I am glad it's Daryl. The general audience would've been ruthless if it had been anyone else to provoke Negan.

In any case, my hope is this arc will actually do something interesting with Daryl. While I am the last person who wants to see him emote some more and wrestle with angst, this could be the jolt Daryl needs to snap out of his slump and grow up.

It also has the potential to be interesting in that it gives Daryl actual narrative purpose. It's a shame he'll probably be fleecing material from Dwight, at least he's not taking it from another beloved character (like Carl). Dwight is the sacrificial lamb to give Daryl a story.

I've always been of the opinion: if they're going to stick us with Daryl forever, they need to do something daring and different. Mind-fucking Daryl into Negan's puppet is pretty interesting -- and it'll be even better if Daryl does some shady things while he's at it. Bye, bye golden boy image.

This is the Just For Men treatment for Daryl's soul -- making it darker and oilier than ever before.

Mousey, Katbird, Jessica and 4 others like this.
  8. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    LOL, I came to this thread because of this! I thought it was a play on the fact that Daryl still has not showered

9. Canuckgirl

Canuckgirl Ricktator

Walker Pets:
    He's oily enoughD::omgno:

10. Appetence

Appetence Eternally failing at productivity bc TITTD
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    same :lol:

11. Tater

Tater Awaiting Job from Deanna
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    If they are pulling a Reek, it's just sad. Reek is already in people's minds as a GOT arc. It's going to be so obvious they borrowed it.

Mousey, MamaGrimes, Eilis and 4 others like this.
  12. Butler36

Butler36 What?

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    To be fair, getting a character, torturing them and brainwashing them is a common trope in both television and literature and it is something writers love to do. This idea has been popular in pop culture since the Manchurian Candidate. Stockholm Syndrome is also another thing that has fascinated popular culture for a good and long time.

I'm sure it will draw comparisons with GOT though I think it is actually probably closer to Peeta in Hunger Games.

Katbird, MamaGrimes, evesix and 4 others like this.
  13. Tater

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Peeta was more sci-fi mental. I don't see Negan having the resources to break Daryl in the way Peeta was broken. And it's true, it's common. But to go for a common trope that a more popular series had just aired, a series that you compare yourself to, it kinda makes no sense to me.

tuswig and Butler36 like this.
  14. Butler36

Butler36 What?

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Depends on where they want to go with it and what they are trying to say, both about Daryl and about Negan himself. To be honest they aren't straying that far from the books in terms of the mind games and torture Negan unleashes on his subjects to make a point. He pretty much does that to Dwight (burning him, humiliating him, bringing him low) which brings Dwight to heel, at least for a little while. And Daryl is a much more prominent character than Theon so the reaction to it and what it does to him may be different.

JMHO

15. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    If done well, I'll have no problem with this arc for Daryl....but then again Norman Reedus, acting wise, is no Alfie Allen (Theon/Reek).

16. Tater

Patron

Walker Pets:
    I'm just tainted. I don't think they can do anything with Daryl, short of death, that will satisfy me.

Lugubria, Cherish and Doctor Grimes like this.
  17. Denie39

Walker Pets:
    Re: stealing Dwight's comic arc...

Wasn't Daryl's character created before Dwight's character was introduced in the comics? Perhaps their arcs were meant to merge all along on the show?

18. Denie39

Walker Pets:
    To be fair, everyone around Negan is playing possum, lol

19. Butler36

Butler36 What?

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Daryl was created before Dwight and was actually the inspiration for Dwight in the comic.

20. tuswig

tuswig Bitch Slayer
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I'm with you. I don't think I'll ever be a Daryl fan again let alone find him interesting but we're stuck with him, so I can appreciate the writers attempting to do something different with the character.