1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

The super crack theory that has been around the block: Rick is the (literal) walking dead

Discussion in 'Speculation' started by Doctor Grimes, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Doctor Grimes

Doctor Grimes Not Your Governor
    Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    So this theory has floated around in fan circles for a long time. I think this one even pre-dates the TV show as fans of the graphic novel had postulated the same thing:

Is Rick Grimes a reanimated dead person?

Generally the tenants of this theory go like this:
    • The graphic novel series is called The Walking Dead
      • ... and it follows the life of Rick Grimes
    • The first time we see Rick (in the comic and TV show) he gets shot then wakes up from a coma in a manner similar to how the dead "come back to life":
      [​IMG]
    • By all accounts (in both TV and comic), Rick should not have survived the hospital. He was suffering from a gunshot wound, had been in a coma for months, and was stuck in the hospital for at least two weeks after the turn. How did he get IV fluid? What did he eat?
      • Maybe the answer is: Rick didn't survive. He died in that hospital bed -- and came back.
    • It's not just the hospital, Rick has survived multiple horrific injuries that haven't killed him (in the TV show and comic). In the show, we've even seen Rick drift into another death-like state but then miraculously recover (4.09 "After").
    • Rick isn't the only one with a penchant for surviving the near impossible -- Carl, his biological son, does as well: Carl survived a gunshot to the abdomen. Carl survived getting shot in the eye
      • ... so this could hint at an inheritable genetic trait that the Grimes boys share.
    While we know Kirkman has said we will never know the origins of the virus, and he has no intention of diving into a "cure", there's nothing said about Kirkman exploring the possibility of the virus working differently on other people.

If the virus can reanimate the brain stem of most people, maybe a select few are able to have their entire cellular structure regenerated?

It's a crack theory for a reason, but it is interesting to think about.

2. Gooey Goobert

Gooey Goobert Relocating to The Kingdom
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I like this theory. It sounds haunting, and it's an interesting theory, but how does his new relationships and events play into this theory. Is he just dreaming his journey thus far?

blkpunk311, coffeebean and box5angel like this.
  3. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I hadn't thought about it like that: Rick is a walker and maybe we're seeing this through a walker's eyes? Like this is what they see? But I think the theory in more in the vein that Rick reanimated completely. He's alive again. So he's carrying on as though he's never died before.

In essence, he's not exactly immune to the virus. The virus just works better on him.

4. Gooey Goobert

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Ohhh, so you're saying instead of reanimating to a walker, he reanimated into the living after he died in the hospital?

5. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yes. :yay: But I guess he would still technically be a "walker", just not a rotting/dead one. He'd be a man who came back to life as a result of the virus.

coffeebean and box5angel like this.
  6. Gooey Goobert

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I like that. I think it could work, and he'd be part of the cure in some ways.

But you know, if this is true, does it work every time Rick dies? Is Rick immortal? :rickgrin:

7. Misty Knight

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Well, if Rick's super virus is hereditary then I'm going to go ahead and add that to my list of reasons why Rick and Michonne should procreate. :yay:

8. box5angel

box5angel The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    I like this theory. Very interesting.
    I like the dream theory. Although a little different, it makes me think of the season finale of St. Elsewhere, and other thangs.

A little boy with autism has a glass snowball with the hospital in it and it was him imagining what went on in the hospital.

Or on Dallas.

When Bobby Ewing was killed and it was all a dream. His wife Pam woke up to find him alive and well in the shower.

And the movie Identity.

Where it turns out that the victims were all in a serial killer's (played by Pruitt Taylor Vince who played Otis in TWD) mind of his multiple personalities as the victims and muderer in his head. Great twists and movie by the way.

I like this too.

msbold1 and Doctor Grimes like this.
  9. TexasZAgal

TexasZAgal Ricktator
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Someone wrote a fan fic on this same thing and it is actually very good, now I just have to remember the name of the story and who wrote it.

SevenStars and Doctor Grimes like this.
  10. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I started a fic 84 years ago with the premise of Rick being a reanimated dead person. I have no idea where to go with it, but it's fun to think about.

11. Silas

Silas Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Ya know, they always say Rick was in a coma for months but have we ever got a timeline for when Shane left him and the machines turned off vs when he woke up? It's possible his ass wasn't laying there very long. Nah, that's not right cuz I doubt they'd established the little camp on the quarry in such a short time.

But reanimation isn't supposed to take that long. If we're to get technical about the crack theory (and only I would) then Rick either still lived an impossibly long time with no fluids, finally died, and reanimated. Or maybe the virus works differently when it brings you back to life as a real boy.

I'd be down with this theory though. Anything that makes Rick special I'm cool with.

Gekari, michonne, SevenStars and 4 others like this.
  12. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    According to the timeline, Shane went on day 14 after the outbreak began to rescue Rick.

Rick woke up on day 59.

As for the reanimation taking so long, perhaps the virus staved off decomposition and started to repair the damage? If Rick is special, it can be expected he doesn't rot at the same rate as normal people affected by the virus.

13. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It's probably better than the one I started. :lol: Maybe I'll post what I had somewhere.

14. balladsinthebluegrass

balladsinthebluegrass Hold to things that are bright.
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    If this is accurate, he can't be mortal. He would have died of dehydration after a few days once Shane left him.

Rick Grimes is a supernatural being. :dalewtf:

Gekari, SevenStars, FLNatural and 3 others like this.
  15. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The crack theory is WAY better than the enormous dramatic license taken with his time in the hospital unattended!

Rick's special body (mmhmmm) kicks the shit out of the zombievirus and it ends up turning him into a Wolverine of sorts?

Oh my yes....I'll sign up for that and for the Richonne progeny like @Misty Knight suggested!

16. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah, that's 45 days boarded up in his room alone.

Even if the IV bag is used as an explanation, most IV bags are set to a drip rate to complete within one hour. Most human beings die after three days of having no water (Rick exceeded that mark by 42 days). Most human beings starve after 21 days without food (and Rick doubled that time period).

Yeah, it's just not possible unless Rick is supernatural in some way.

Gekari, coffeebean and FLNatural like this.
  17. Silas

Silas Eating 112 oz. of Pudding
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Yeah but like ya said, if the virus worked differently on him maybe he did die very early on but the virus was lurking beneath the surface, stopping him from rotting (that's morbid as hell) and slowly brought his brain back to life.

And if he was pretty much dead the whole time (dead-ish) it would explain the fact that he wasn't covered in pee and poop upon wakin'. Yeah, I went there.

But this would mean that Rick would outlive Michonne.

18. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Not if Rick's aging naturally. He and Michonne can die from old age. :flirt::rickgrin:

(Don't step on my fantasy.)

Dobbying, Gekari, Appetence and 3 others like this.
  19. Cousin Peaches

Cousin Peaches Caressing Eugene's Mullet

Walker Pets:
    Hmmm... This is cool theory. But if Rick is a walker, he's a super walker I guess, how do his bodily functions work? Is he human again, just resistant to death?

That's actually something I don't get about the zombie (or vampire) trope. If you're dead and your systems are dead, how do you feel hunger? Why do zombies need to eat? How do they digest their meal? If their respiratory system is shut down, how can they smell to tell if someone is or isn't a zombie? I know, suspension of disbelief. I found the "zombies" in 28 days Later much more believable because the people are technically still alive and they're just dumb super violent monsters which makes more sense to me.

20. Doctor Grimes

Staff Member Admin

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    If the theory has any merit, I think he's human again, just resistant to death as long as his brain is intact.