1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion/Meta The Unusual Suspects: Maybe Negan Killed Someone We're Not Expecting?

Discussion in 'Speculation Archive' started by Doctor Grimes, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LunaFall

LunaFall Nabila went all Hershel on us
    Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    The only thing is that
    She's been spotted filming past 7x01. Neither SY, nor MC have been spotted or confirmed filming since 7x01 wrapped. For an actor - particularly a main - to be missing for 7 of 8 episodes... typically means the character has died.
    It's most likely she was emotional because someone she's worked closely with for the past 5 years is no longer going to be around (as part of the cast).

#181 LunaFall, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    Denie39, Katbird and ATWDEnthusiast like this.
  2. ATWDEnthusiast

ATWDEnthusiast Wearing a Necklace of Ears
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    You're probably right, I was thinking that as well. I guess it's hard to really gauge since they are all so connected as a cast.

LunaFall likes this.
  3. LunaFall

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Agreed.

4. slade3

slade3 The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    For a long time I thought Maggie could be the victim. I wasn't sure she'd be the LV, but I thought she might succumb to her illness after the Lucille incident, or later in the episode.
    But as @LunaFall points out, I just don't see how they can explain the actors being away from set for so long.

ATWDEnthusiast likes this.
  5. Katbird

Katbird Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    I was reading through the thread/new posts and saw your older post. I also think almost exactly what you have described. The "new world" is going to be free of the old encumberances and pitfalls and negatives and will have a very different look. The idea of all who you mentioned in that post losing all of their familial ties to the past makes their investment in the New/Next World more critical and their desire to rebuild that more compelling. I thought about that exact thing, too. I see the importance of making sure we know what they all lost. We see the determination to rejoin the world or the belief in a better future by all of those in that clearing. It is a strange thing to think about losing any of them...I am such a fan of all of them. I want them each to help shape the New/Next World. I think they are trying to purge Rick of some of the things he has done, he has to be worthy of his title of leader, his unique role in the upended world as the the one who believes in hope, in the future. Whoever the unfortunate person is that we lose, sniff, sniff, I am going to remember that this is a story about coming back. And TF with Rick as their leader are going to avenge that death and make that a-hole Negan rue the day he ever dared F with the hardest rollin' crew in the ZA. Negan has desperation and fear, but Rick has hope and love. Nothing can beat that. Not even a bat named "Lucille" wielded by a lunatic.

slade3 and ATWDEnthusiast like this.
  6. ATWDEnthusiast

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Maggie was one of my first guesses immediately after the cliffhanger too. But then I started falling in with the almost unanimous claim from most in the fandom that they'd never choose a woman, much less a pregnant woman, to be the LV.

And the fact that they'd played with so many near death moments for Glenn made me start to doubt he would be the actual LV after all.

But true, it's hard to explain away long absences from set

slade3 likes this.
  7. slade3

slade3 The New Mrs. Grimes
    Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I know what you mean. Maggie came to my mind because Gimple kept saying the LV would be unexpected, etc., etc. And Maggie, for me, is the last person in that line up (besides Rick), I would expect because she's pregnant. Negan doesn't know that, I assume, but the audience does.

NegansSavior and ATWDEnthusiast like this.
  8. ATWDEnthusiast

Patron

Walker Pets:
    Well said. And I'm looking forward to seeing Rick grow through this as he reevaluates his leadership style and choices.

Also, in earlier posts I'd mentioned that I wouldn't be affected by most of TF deaths because the impact from the scene had been deflated due to the CH. But nah, I don't think that's really true now. Maggie and some of the others may not be my favorite characters but I'll still hate to see them go, and especially in such a gruesome manner.

And I'm sure I'll still be squirming and anxious for TF to get back to some semblance of normalcy.

Denie39 and Katbird like this.
  9. LunaFall

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    It certainly would have been unexpected for Maggie... but as much as AMC meddles in the writing process, I doubt the "puritan" network would let Negan go that far, in terms of bludgeoning a sickly woman (or a woman, in general) to death.
    I had no doubt that Negan would kill a woman, never felt he was above that... but the nature of this particular death has always led me to believe that the victim(s) would be male.

#189 LunaFall, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  10. NegansSavior

NegansSavior Searching for Sophia

Walker Pets:
    He doesn't know she pregnant and Carol killing Lizzie "look at the flowers" was pretty brutal (even though she was a murderer and future serial killer)... I mean I kind of see that as the same playing field. No?

11. LunaFall

Patron Bunker Resident

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I made a point mention Maggie being sick instead of her being pregnant. Of course he wouldn't know she was with child, but he could see that she was ill.

And no, from a marketing and publicity standpoint, it's not the same playing field. AMC cares about their image and casting a bad light on themselves would be bad for business.

Let me put it this way: AMC has already been labeled with/called out for "The Revolving Door of Black Men" in addition to making a lot of them more passive/pacifist in the way they cope with the ZA (This isn't to say that there is only one way to survive in the ZA... is just a path that most don't feel they would follow and so they reject new philosophies). AMC would not have their white male villain kill a woman of color in such a brutal way. There are three women in the line up that fall into this category.

In Maggie's case, she is a sickly woman. Just like AMC wouldn't want backlash for Negan killing Michonne, Sasha, or Rosita with Lucille (and yes, there would be more backlash for that than the S6 cliffhanger)... they aren't going to want to catch hell for Negan killng off Maggie in such a fashion. Negan might not know that Maggie is pregnant, but the audience knows.

If we go from narrative standpoints, it doesn't make sense for any of the women, either. Even with Negan's characterization, using Lucille to kill a woman doesn't make sense.

Even if we compare what Negan does to what Carol does, it's not even the same in terms of brutality (Though they are both brutal). In fact, the only commonality was 'justification'... and I'm giving myself a little leeway with this term.

Carol: A single shot to the back of the head (Which we know Lizzie died instantly from, so not much in the way of suffering) to a child that would be a danger to anyone she came across, as well as herself. Carol did not enjoy it. It was not retaliation but making a hard, but necessary decision. One that was justified based on what had been going on.

Negan: Multiple strikes to the head with a blunt force object wrapped in barbed wire. There is lots of suffering involved. This is done to get back at the people that took down one of his outposts, which is justifiable (although, Rick and his people were going to have to do something sooner or later - deal or no deal, Negan would be at their doorstep). Negan takes pleasure in dishing out the punishement.

Katbird and NegansSavior like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.