1. Welcome to Tell It to the Dead. We're a discussion forum for AMC's The Walking Dead. Please don't hesitate to ping staff with any questions or concerns. Have fun and watch out for walkers!
    Dismiss Notice

Article The Walking Dead: Live From the Kill Floor

Discussion in '6x13: The Same Boat' started by MamaGrimes, Mar 14, 2016.

1. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    Lenika Cruz: When last week’s episode, “Not Tomorrow Yet,” ended with an anonymous voice coming over a walkie talkie announcing the capture of Maggie and Carol, two things instantly came to mind. One: Crap, how are the Saviors going to use the women to manipulate Rick and the Alexandrians? Two: Oh, hey, it’s a woman’s voice on the other end! Both thoughts proved relevant to this week’s episode, “The Same Boat” but for reasons I didn’t expect. Contrary to the robust body of storytelling constructed over centuries around the damsel in distress, the two kidnapped women in this episode weren’t just instruments or pawns in some larger plot machine. And there wasn’t one woman on the other end of the walkie talkie, but three.

No surprise, then, that “The Same Boat” was The Walking Dead’s most overtly feminist episode thus far. The vast majority of screen time went to women, who over the course of the episode discussed issues of particular concern—childbirth, domestic violence, the sexism of the old and new world. There were fun lines like, “You should be lucky she doesn’t have a sack of gonads to trip over,” and, “Guys can’t handle pain,” but for all the awesomeness of seeing a truly female-dominated story, it came with an important caveat: In another lifetime, these tough, smart women might have been friends. But in this lifetime, they were all destined, in one way or another, to kill each other.

Read more here.

2. Rainbow Cat

Rainbow Cat Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    Yessssssssssss.

My heart was singing that it was such a woman-centric episide. Not only was it two TF women having an episode to themselves, with heavy interactions and character development, the whole story of this episode was woman-centric with the villians as well. That is not something that happens often. Or ever. I fucking loved Alicia Witt's performance....and I am not a fan of hers (I heard her on this podcast I listen to "Comedy Bamg Bang" and I did not like her personality) but she was amazing. A fucking command of the screen, AND the other characters. And her and Carol looking at each other, and Carol kknows it's like looking in a mirror, but Paula doesn't. It was so good. I'm rewatching today as soon as I can for Alicia's performance.

Maggie and Carol were amazing. Lauren was saying she'd been hoping for a big episode with Melissa, that's what a long time this is coming, to have something like this. I'm glad the response was positive overall in the GA, in nerd circles, there was no complaining about the Vagina City that had taken over their screen, they werre fucking starry-eyed at all the badassery. The WD needs to be encouraged/pressed to have more episodes like this.

And it was the perfect place for this episode. Soon the shit's going to hit fan for a lot of characters when
    Negan steps up to bat (sorry). The repercussions and storylines flying around will leave little time to have another ep like this. In 7a as well. I mean, Glenn, Carl, Richonne, Abe/Saha, Morgan.......everybody has some big arcs coming up.
    This probably be the last time in a bit that we get an episode like this.

3. MamaGrimes

MamaGrimes 100% Certified Shipper Trash
    Staff Member Moderator Patron

Walker Pets:
    Custom Banner
    I agree with this. The show struggles with pacing. It really does. But I thought this episode struck the balance of character development for Carol and much needed growth and shine for Maggie. If she's going to take over Hilltop, the viewers need to see her kick some ass. I literally stood up and applauded when they lit that room on fire (yes I'm a sicko) because these two women freed themselves and took out a troop of Saviors with NO help but from each other.

Carol is turning a corner in her painful journey and this episode made it clear to the most foggy eyed viewer that she's done with killing. I believe she will be moving on by the end of the season.

blacklitchick and Rainbow Cat like this.
  4. Rainbow Cat

Rainbow Cat Awaiting Job from Deanna

Walker Pets:
    It's rare a character like Carol gets a chance to be something that's feared on a show like this, so hallelujah. Maggie too. It was all just so good. I'm hoping for some Caarol/Michonne interaction on this tip.........because Michonne has literally been through all of this shit before that Carol has been experiencing/struggling with. All of it. The despair. The self-loathing. The grieving parent stuff. The squeemishness about being around children. Being the Rambo character with no other focus. I think they could benefit from some therapy time together. When Rick reunited with Asskicker and Tyreese, that shot of Carol and Michonne looking on with bittersweet joy for Rick--it nearly killed me.

I think right now Carol wants different things out of life than Michonne. But Michonne has been there. And I think Carol's behavior last night.....that sad lonely hurting leaking through the badassery--it showed she might be starting the approach to Michonne's level of enlightenment. Like ZA buddhism. We watched a shit-ton of that from Michonne. She could help Carol. MORE TF LADY BONDING EPS WOOP WOOOOOP.

richonnebaby and blacklitchick like this.